GoT Season 6 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Disco

GoT Season 6 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Disco » 25 Apr 2016, 14:11

So anyone else caught up on the premier yet? Thought it might be good to have a thread where we can comment without having to spoiler tag everything because some people aren't up to date, so keep this going and don't read it until you've seen the latest episode! :D

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE LATEST EPISODE
Last edited by Disco on 25 Apr 2016, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Nacimota

Re: GoT Season 6 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Nacimota » 25 Apr 2016, 14:34

The ending scene was very WTF. Like, where are they going with that? Davos seems to think Melisandre can help; cut to her room and she strips off her clothes and turns into an old woman. Okay, that's weird, but we'll see how it plays out. Then she just gets back into bed and the credits roll...

o_o
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 25 Apr 2016, 14:39

Yeah that was really weird wasn't it, I wonder if it has something to do with her saving Jon? I kind of got the vibe there was a self sacrifice type thing going on there but I could be way off.

I was really glad to see Sansa and Reek get to safety though, when they found her under the log I was like WTF CAN SHE CATCH A BREAK?! Had my usual complaint too.. i.e if they spent less time on Denarys they could focus on the interesting stuff :lol:
1 x
Nekosan wrote:

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 25 Apr 2016, 14:48

I dunno about the self-sacrifice thing; it's come up before and I'm still not convinced. Why does she get back into bed? I just don't know what to make of the scene to be honest.

And yeah that's my sentiments as well re: Sansa. When they caught up to them I was pretty disappointed because we've been down this road so many times before. But then suddenly, Gwendoline Christie out of fucking nowhere! It was super effective.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 25 Apr 2016, 14:54

hopefully we see sansa have some luck this season, wonder who's gonna rule dorne now that the whole royal family is dead
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 25 Apr 2016, 15:36

Indira Varma and her ladyfriends will rule Dorne now I expect? I assume that was the idea behind wiping everyone else out. Will anything really change if a bunch of murdering ladies are in charge instead of murdering men? Who knows! :D

Whether Jon Snow comes back or not I fear the wall will fall regardless. They're spending too much time arguing and fighting among themselves while the army of White Walkers is on a slow march south. Winter is still coming!
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

phylum

Post by phylum » 25 Apr 2016, 15:49

That ending with Melisandre was weird. It's first time I think we've seen that in the show but there was similar stuff in the books, involving Melisandre too. If I'm guessing right about where this is going, and I hope so so much I'm wrong, it means Jon Snow is gone for good.

idk if you guys have read the books but this Dorne stuff is kind of weird. I think I get where they're going with it and how it's going to tie in with the book, but damn. I still can't believe we aren't getting "Young Griff", that was the most interesting part of A Dance with Dragons for me.

Anyway don't worry Disco the upcoming stuff with Dany is going to be good. She's ahead of the book now, but I promise she's going all fire and blood on us soon. Can't wait for Euron and Victarion to come into play.

Sansa's section of this episode was pretty crazy though, I mean damn she's off the book rails and going into outer space now.

I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from last season, and I can't really say this episode did much of anything at all. It seems we're still mostly at the awkward set up from aDwD. Once winter hits shit gets real. This season can make up a lot for me between how they handle Dorne and the Iron Islanders. More than anything I just want The Winds of Winter to come out, but finding out things from the show is better than just randomly reading them online.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 25 Apr 2016, 21:13

I enjoyed the first episode for this season, but some sections were pretty predictable like the stupid Dorne prince getting killed from behind when he turned his back to one of the two sand viper chicks, and Brienne coming to save Sansa when Reek/Theon wasn't successful at diverting the soldiers... not too many other options for saviors around there.

But the whole Melisandre thing came out of nowhere. Will be interesting to see Bran back next episode and what he does to advance things along.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

kharis

Post by kharis » 25 Apr 2016, 21:26

the dothraki were funny, here's dany going on about how she is the ruler of mereen and mother of dragons etc and they're like "so what?" then she says she was married to drogo and it's all bro code time

here is the trailer for next week

hopefully jon wakes up before the boltons get to the wall, or he gets to winterfell before they leave and kills ramsay alot
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 25 Apr 2016, 21:55

I can't watch the next episode previews, I hate that about TV, would rather find out next week :D
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

kharis

Post by kharis » 25 Apr 2016, 22:21

the isnt anything spoilerish in it
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 26 Apr 2016, 08:54

I just don't like to ruin the surprise :P
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 26 Apr 2016, 14:58

Nacimota wrote:The ending scene was very WTF. Like, where are they going with that? Davos seems to think Melisandre can help; cut to her room and she strips off her clothes and turns into an old woman. Okay, that's weird, but we'll see how it plays out. Then she just gets back into bed and the credits roll...

o_o
From what I can gather from the scene and her taking off the amulet, it looks like she's losing hope in R'hllor the Red God. I think this is the start of a character shift for Melisandre.

"We're not sailing to Westeros anytime soon"
Yeah, we know Tyrion...
1 x

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 26 Apr 2016, 17:31

Anon. E. Moose wrote:From what I can gather from the scene and her taking off the amulet, it looks like she's losing hope in R'hllor the Red God. I think this is the start of a character shift for Melisandre.
Yeah someone pointed out to me that she turns after removing the amulet which supposedly implies she was already old but the amulet makes her look young; I should watch the scene again.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 26 Apr 2016, 17:44

if you subscribe to all the nit pickers on the interwebs though there is a scene a couple of seasons back where she is in the tub sans necklace and still looks young, i think it's a combination of the amulet and her faith in the flame (or someone forgot about that scene when filming the latest one) :D

we shall find out soon enough I guess
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 26 Apr 2016, 17:48

Not soon enough! I'm ready to binge watch this entire series - I clearly don't over analyze stuff, I'm just going to enjoy the ride :D
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

bender

Post by bender » 26 Apr 2016, 18:30

I'm starting to lose interest in GoT. This latest ep kind of confirmed that. Too many people have died that i was emotionally invested in and the story is starting to lose focus (too many characters spread out). Though i wouldn't mind watching a TL;DR cut down version once this season is done as i'm still interested to see what happens.

Book spoilers:
My friend, who has read all the current books said that GoT really starts to derail now. He's not interested in the series anymore as things just keep going off in tangents and unresolved plots (though maybe the TV show will address some of those?), or that it takes several books for a single characters plot to develop and move along - then to only have them die. The original effect/novelty of having main characters killed off, no longer has the desired affect. Now when new characters come along you don't get too invested as they are probably going to die, you start to care less and less. The long delay between book releases also contributed.

I did read somewhere, that the TV show will go off in its own direction when they catch up to the books (and they might already be starting to). So maybe they can fix some problems with the books.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

kharis

Post by kharis » 26 Apr 2016, 19:25

as of the end of last season, the show was caught up, the only thing is the greyjoys over in the iron islands (i didn't really read those chapters though), everything else is either same as the books or it's already gone its own way
0 x

phylum

Post by phylum » 26 Apr 2016, 19:36

The show isn't going to fix any problems with the books. For one thing I think only Bran and Arya have significant sections from the book left. Even Sansa who majorly derailed managed to get most of her stuff from books 4 and 5 done. The show is also a lot less competent than the books at this point. If you want to complain about pointless deaths in the book there are 2 that stick out (I'd argue against a 3rd if you want to count a Martell), but the show did far worse in the newest episode alone.

Honestly if there's one thing the show did well in season 5 it was break up the story with a big fight. Books 4 and 5 were really slow, and dragged on a lot. On the flip side the most interesting things from the book got cut from the show - a MAJOR character who has a large role to play in the next book at least, lots of the tension from Stannis' march to Winterfell, lots of the details from The Wall, and the vastly different handling of Dorne. I'd include Euron and Victarion but I hear they're coming to the show this season. Everything in Essos got butchered too. Reading the books you really got a sense of how crazy stuff was over there, and the show played it down a lot. The best example is that book Daario Naharis is introduced as having blue hair, a 3-pronged beard and golden mustachios. I'm not saying it would have worked in the show, but the book was a real slap in the face of culture and the show is just really bland in comparison.

I don't think the books are great, especially not the last 2, but if there's a bad time to lose interest it's now because damn A Dance with Dragons left us in a pretty exciting place. I'm kind of worried about how GRRM intends to end things (and the showrunners who have to do it using much less material), because if everything ties together too nicely that will probably feel cheap. Characters like Bran and Arya are so detached that I can't imagine them coming into play in an important way
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 26 Apr 2016, 19:47

The show's deviated a lot already. No lady stoneheart, Rob Stark's wife is way different (no complaints though, apart from the fact that they killed her off), and Sansa's rape.

But then I don't mind the show being different. It's still really enjoyable.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 26 Apr 2016, 19:56

bender wrote:My friend, who has read all the current books said that GoT really starts to derail now.
I'm not really sure how he could say that when they are ahead of the books now, I read all of them in the break between season 4 and 5, so pretty recently. The very last scene in the current books is Jon Snow being stabbed.

I quite enjoyed the debut, I was a bit WTF during the last scene too, although her losing faith in the lord of light is a pretty good theory on reflection. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the season, despite some initial confusion I liked the non-canon changes last season so hopefully they keep that up.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

bender

Post by bender » 26 Apr 2016, 23:09

kharis wrote:as of the end of last season, the show was caught up, the only thing is the greyjoys over in the iron islands (i didn't really read those chapters though), everything else is either same as the books or it's already gone its own way
Ah, i had this discussion with my friend a few years ago. I was thinking season 6 was the season where they caught up to the books. So i guess there aren't anymore book spoilers haha.

I guess my friend was referring to seasons/books 4 and 5 then. I had read the first 2 books years ago and was reading the 3rd and asked my friend what he thought of the series. He basically said don't bother reading it (with some of his reasons outlined in my previous post), and just watch the TV show if your still interested (much lower time investment). I initially thought he was being a bit harsh, but i did skip reading the books. Now looking back, I think he was right.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

Disco

Post by Disco » 27 Apr 2016, 08:35

I read A Dance with Dragons on it's release, but to be honest I can't remember any of it and wont bother reading any more of the books - at least now I don't have to worry about Martin dying and not getting some closure!

Although at this point of the whole season ended with an apocalypse and everyone dying, I would not be surprised
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 27 Apr 2016, 10:42

Don't watch the show, but I love these reviews.

NSFW - Like a spoiler notice, you've been warned!
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 27 Apr 2016, 11:49

Jorah the Explorer.. I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard when I heard that haha - interesting point about Jon Snow at the end there and his service about the watch
0 x
Nekosan wrote: