What are you reading?

Yurtles

What are you reading?

Post by Yurtles » 11 Aug 2017, 20:30

I miss talking about books.

I just read Red Rising by Pierce Brown. It's a young adult book, so don't get your hopes up for much complexity or having everything well explained... but I also ended up staying up till 2 in the morning last night to finish it. It's just got that something about it that makes you want to see what'll happen next, it really kept me going. Pretty interested to see if it holds up in the other 2 books in the (completed) series.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

storm84

Re: What are you reading?

Post by storm84 » 11 Aug 2017, 20:44

I just finished Maria Konnikova's The Confidence Game - a book about the psychology of cons. It was a really fascinating look at various kinds of cons that exist, some of the curious characters and the cons they perpetrated throughout history, and an in-depth look at the psychology they operate on that makes us so vulnerable to their trickery. An entertaining and informative read!

Just picked up Phillip K Dick's Valis, but I'm only a chapter in so far.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 11 Aug 2017, 21:21

I've recently read the first Dark Tower, hoping to get through the whole lot while sitting at kung fu "watching" my son

Also read And Then There Were None, nice and short and great
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 16 Aug 2017, 16:37

Reading Ready Player One, also picked up his other book Armarda to read.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 16 Aug 2017, 19:33

I'm reading "Depends what you mean by extremist" by John Safran. Very uniquely Safran look at the alt-right and religious extremists in Australia.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 14 Feb 2018, 12:36

Artemis by Andy Weir (Guy that did The Martian). Set on a near future moon city. Certainly not as good as The Martian, but still pretty good I thought. Similar sort of a style to it.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 14 Feb 2018, 16:10

Yurtles wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 12:36
Artemis by Andy Weir (Guy that did The Martian). Set on a near future moon city. Certainly not as good as The Martian, but still pretty good I thought. Similar sort of a style to it.
I just listened to that on Audible, I didn't mind it. Rossario Dawson read (narrated?) it and I thought she did a great job but a lot of reviews didn't like her for some reason. She did the accents and it certainly helped the story. (IMO)
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 27 Feb 2018, 23:05

After seeing The Dark Tower, I've decided to start the series. Making my way through The Gunslinger now.

I'm also reading The Enigma of Reason by Hugo Mercier and Dan Sperber, which is all about the evolutionary origin and psychological purpose of how we reason and what we ought to expect from the exercise. It's been interesting so far.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 28 Feb 2018, 20:43

Thanks to Makena, I have started reading the Gotrek and Felix Warhammer novels.
Have just finished Trollslayer, and now onto Skavenslayer.

Also loving my Kindle to read from. Best thing I have bought lately.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 01 Mar 2018, 10:00

Which Kindle did you get? I've got a shitload of PDFs to read through, been thinking about buying one to make things a little easier on my eyes. Plus then I'd have a Kindle at the end too.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 01 Mar 2018, 10:04

I had a Kindle years ago and it was a nightmare, it was a touch model and after a while every time you tapped to change page it would just skip like a random number of pages
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mini

Post by Mini » 01 Mar 2018, 10:30

I just bought the base model Kindle (Think it is the 8th edition Kindle)
Was looking at the paper white version. But didn't think I would need the extra features
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Makena

Post by Makena » 01 Mar 2018, 10:59

Yurtles wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 10:00
Which Kindle did you get? I've got a shitload of PDFs to read through, been thinking about buying one to make things a little easier on my eyes. Plus then I'd have a Kindle at the end too.
I've got a current gen paperwhite, I think it's great, got it to replace my friends 2nd gen kindle I'd had for a couple of years as she finally wanted it back. I read a fair bit (average a novel a week or so), and haven't had any issues with it.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 01 Mar 2018, 11:30

Always been meaning to get a kindle ever since I first learnt about e-paper, but I've been able to make do with kindle apps on phones and laptops.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 01 Mar 2018, 11:57

I will say that reading off a Kindle is so much nicer than an ordinary tablet. Feels more normal and less harsh on the eyes.
Also my Kindle is readable in sunlight, probably more readable than under normal lights. Only problem I have is that I can't read in the dark, as it has no backlight of its own.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

solo0017

Post by solo0017 » 02 Mar 2018, 09:23

I've been working my way through the Saga TPs by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples - excellent storyline with a lot of dark humour and some pretty confronting visuals.

Also been reading Beautiful You by Chuck Palahniuk - bit of a strange concept, but I wouldn't expect anything less.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 02 Mar 2018, 10:21

Chasing the Cup: My America's Cup Journey by Jimmy Spithill.
He's an Australian from Sydney and the book is his autobiography detailing how he got to be one of the best Cup sailors. Great read especially he's early days growing up on Pittwater and the crazy money needed to be a contender in the cup and some of the amazing tech they develop in building these boats. almost finished it.

my next e-book will be Wimmera by Mark Brandi; an Australian detective novel which has had some great reviews and I do love a good detective novel :)
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 08 May 2019, 21:46

I just finished reading How Music Works by David Byrne, which really went into a lot more depth about the music industry than I was expecting. It has inspired me to pick up the guitar again, though, so that's good.

Also reading Gastrophysics by Charles Spence. It's all about the science of eating, and every page is filled with some amazing fact on what science has worked out about how we perceive. Going out to restaurants I'm noticing some of the things mentioned in the book, so it's somewhat demystifying the restaurant experience - something that feels surreal and intimidating to me at times.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 11 May 2019, 16:03

Sacred artists follow a thousand Paths to power, using their souls to control the forces of the natural world.

Lindon is Unsouled, forbidden to learn the sacred arts of his clan.

When faced with a looming fate he cannot ignore, he must rise beyond anything he's ever known...and forge his own Path.

Basically it's an homage to DBZ/monkey except it's dramatically better than either, i'm on the 5th book or so in as many days.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Disco

Post by Disco » 12 May 2019, 16:04

That House of Blades series is great too
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol: