Doctor Who

Mugsy

Doctor Who

Post by Mugsy » 06 Dec 2015, 22:59

Well that's another season down.

I can't say that I enjoyed every episode of this season at first... the first few were off to a slow, somewhat by the book, start but after seeing the ending and dissecting how the season has been crafted, I'm somewhat more satisfied with many of the subtleties that made up the themes of this season.

Will miss Jenna Coleman on the show but they can now fully create something fresh fresh for Capaldi's era instead of playing with the storylines leftover from Matt Smith's era.
0 x

Dexterians

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Dexterians » 04 Jan 2016, 20:33

Eeehh... I won't entirely miss Clara to be honest, her character got a little annoying when Matt Smith left.

I agree though, Doctor Who lost it's magic a bit since introducing Capaldi... and I don't point the finger at Capaldi because I think he does a really good job, especially in that war episode with the Humans and Zygons. Fanastic acting. I just think the writers have given him crappy stories!

Hopefully now that Clara is gone the writers might actually give Capaldi a chance to be a good Doctor.

Mind you the last couple of episodes of the season were pretty cool. Like, the last 3 perhaps? Haha.

PS: If they do choose to do a spin off with Clara... I wonder if they'll call it "Clara and Me" haha :P
eh eh, you see what I did there? haha.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 24 Jan 2016, 08:49

No full season in 2016. Just an Xmas special. Moffat is doing one more season in 2017 and Broadchurch show runner, Chris Chibnall will take over.

Probably a good thing to give Moffat and co some time to make a really good season.

Not sure if Capaldi will stay on after Moffat leaves or if there will be a companion this next season.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 24 Jan 2016, 10:50

I'm glad Moffat is done. I stopped watching halfway through this last season because it was just more of the same every week. He did a really great job with it all, but I don't think he has anything left to give.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 24 Jan 2016, 13:31

Yurtles wrote:I'm glad Moffat is done.
Agreed. Moffat had a good run but the last couple of seasons have been horrifically bad.. for Moffat standards that is. Maybe this break might be good so he can really flesh out his ideas and come back with something solid.

Hopefully this new guy will give some room for Capaldi to grow and shine - there have been a few episodes where I feel Capaldi is a really good actor/doctor if it weren't for the bad writing.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 24 Jan 2016, 15:31

I hope Moffat goes back to just writing. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, and Blink are my favourite episodes since the show was revitalised in 2005, and all were written by Moffat. Considering the challenges of juggling both writing and running the show, I think he's done the best anyone can do... but being show runner surely didn't allow him to do his best writing.

I haven't seen Broadchurch/Gracepoint but have heard great things about it so I'm keen to see what Chibnall does.
0 x

phylum

Post by phylum » 24 Jan 2016, 20:18

He couldn't go soon enough in my opinion.

Moffat got so caught up in writing big wanky ideas that the majority of recent episodes suffered from poor structure. RTD wasn't a great writer, but he fucking well knew how to give an episode a beginning, a middle and an end. I'd rather simple ideas done well than complex ideas done poorly.

Hopefully Capaldi stays on, and I'd love to see another writer give him some different material to work with. He's a fantastic actor, so seeing the series he was introduced in focus so heavily on Clara was a bit disappointing. It's an interesting idea, but I just don't know why you'd do it the first season you have a new Doctor.

Anyway I didn't even watch the most recent season past 20 minutes of the first episode, because the writing just felt like it was trying so damn hard to be clever and witty and relevant while lacking actual substance. At this point all I ever seem to do is complain about the show though. A new writer will make me come back, and hopefully enjoy myself a bit more.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 24 Jan 2016, 23:03

phylum wrote:Hopefully Capaldi stays on, and I'd love to see another writer give him some different material to work with. He's a fantastic actor, so seeing the series he was introduced in focus so heavily on Clara was a bit disappointing. It's an interesting idea, but I just don't know why you'd do it the first season you have a new Doctor.
I'm in two minds about that season. It was very Clara centric but no more so than Matt Smith's first season having a lot of focus on Amy as well. But I agree that they need to make the Doctor the focus of the stories again. The last season seemed to end off with that possibility.
phylum wrote:Anyway I didn't even watch the most recent season past 20 minutes of the first episode, because the writing just felt like it was trying so damn hard to be clever and witty and relevant while lacking actual substance.
I do recommend a binge watch of this last season. Try to get past the first three episodes which seems to be going through the motions. The 4th episode is quite well crafted but you'll need to see the (IMO dull) 3rd episode to fully appreciate it. Episode 11, a Doctor centric episode, is also one of the best episodes they've done in a long time and really gives Capaldi the chance to shine.
0 x

phylum

Post by phylum » 24 Jan 2016, 23:35

Yeah I've heard some good things about the rest of the season, but that first episode is just going to be a bit of a hump. I need to watch them with a friend, maybe with some booze in my system :p

Capaldi's first series was about playing Clara as more of The Doctor's character, and that was really the entire point of the season. It's much worse than what they did with Amy I thought, although Amy was pretty bad at times.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Mar 2017, 18:52

I can't believe it's been well over a year since the last season of Doctor Who ended.

I didn't mind the xmas special a few months back but nothing to rave about.

Trailer for this year's season which will be the last for both Moffat and Capaldi has dropped...

I just hope they stick to mainly stand alone stories and the odd two parter with something interesting to tell in each one. Moffat does his best when he focuses on just writing a good one off story and not a whole season's story arc.
0 x

Darius359au

Post by Darius359au » 15 Mar 2017, 17:22

Missy :dance: :dance: :dance: :D
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 Apr 2017, 07:46

New season drops tomoz. Completely dropped off my radar until I saw the vid below of Capaldi explaining why he's leaving. Didn't seem to be any drama or malice on set that has been leaked out and Capaldi is generally known to be easy to get along with so he probably did just feel it was time to go. The Germany press junket bit was funny though.

0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 15 Apr 2017, 10:38

Really hope this season is better, I really think they've so far wasted Capaldi as the Doctor
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 15 Apr 2017, 19:01

I'm getting the feeling that it's going to be boarding the train to Canned City soon.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Makena

Post by Makena » 16 Apr 2017, 10:58

Pretty good episode, don't mind the new companion so far
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 16 Apr 2017, 18:57

Quite enjoyed this episode. It's pretty standard Who story telling but it kept the mystery's intrigue going enough to keep me happy. Moffat does seem to be running out of steam still but I hope he's given it his all for this season to give himself and Capaldi a good send off. Looking forward to where this season goes.

And the alien chick was kinda cute.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 20 Apr 2017, 16:21

Makena wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 10:38
Really hope this season is better, I really think they've so far wasted Capaldi as the Doctor
I do too - and its the writers fault.
Nitephyre wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 19:01
I'm getting the feeling that it's going to be boarding the train to Canned City soon.
They need to drop Steven Moffat. He's still bitter about Matt Smith leaving. Hopefully might redeem himself in this season.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Apr 2017, 17:18

Dexterians wrote: They need to drop Steven Moffat. He's still bitter about Matt Smith leaving. Hopefully might redeem himself in this season.
Moffat is finishing up after this year. Chris Chibnall is taking over as showrunner.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Apr 2017, 23:26

Spoilers for the xmas special... I'd be very happy with this...
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 01 May 2017, 10:11

Mugsy wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 17:18
Dexterians wrote: They need to drop Steven Moffat. He's still bitter about Matt Smith leaving. Hopefully might redeem himself in this season.
Moffat is finishing up after this year. Chris Chibnall is taking over as showrunner.
Good. So far this season has been weak. Stories have been a bit boring. I feel like Moffat is trying to get the show cancelled.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 May 2017, 10:59

I quite enjoyed these last two episodes. Today's one in particular I thought was well paced, interesting and finally explains the whole "what's in the box" thing and why the Doctor is guarding it (which, was getting a tad long in the tooth). Not sure about the new threat. Hopefully the payoff is worth it. I kinda know what's coming from all the info released to date so hopefully the journey there with the remaining episodes will be enjoyable.

Though, at this point, I'm more interested in the premise for the Christmas special.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 22 May 2017, 14:14

the last episode certainly developed a good story; I was tad concerned at the beginning of the season as it did seem dull but the story has legs now and hopefully Moffat can finish with a positive series.

and I don't think the show will ever be cancelled though it might hibernate occasionally.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 22 May 2017, 19:15

For a year to a decade and a half if history is any indication.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 29 May 2017, 10:08

brimlad wrote:
22 May 2017, 14:14
and I don't think the show will ever be cancelled though it might hibernate occasionally.
this is what I fear - that it might go in to hibernation soon :(
These stories so far have been quite lackluster.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 29 May 2017, 12:55

Had mixed feelings about this last episode. They've gone arc heavy again and we're only half way through. Seemed to take forever to get to the point. Previous week was more interesting.
0 x