Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Mugsy

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by Mugsy » 08 Mar 2018, 11:14

Lol. That reminds me that we had an issue where someone wasn't flushing the toilet after use about 1-1.5yrs ago. It got annoying enough that staff wanted an intranet message to address the problem.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 08 Mar 2018, 12:21

storm84 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 09:57
Passive aggressive notes are always a part of office life. Just imagine the alternative - either actual confrontation or leaving the problem unaddressed.
It's not so much about being passive aggressive here, we only have two staff and I'm more than willing to verbally address any issue with her - we're unique to a lot of workplaces in that we have almost 140 volunteers, some of them volunteer on a weekly basis, some fortnightly, some monthly. Some are here during 'office' hours, some are never here when staff are. Some use email, some don't. Some have mobile phones, some don't. Some read the weekly newsletter, some don't. There is no simple or easy way to communicate with everyone and ensure that the same message is received by all in a timely manner. For this reason, often, putting up signs is a necessary evil in addition to trying to use other forms of communication as well.

Also, when people volunteer their time and receive no payment in return, you have to be selective in what you communicate with them. It wouldn't take long for people to start getting pissed off if they were receiving emails, texts or being pulled in for conversations several times a week over seemingly petty issues like not eating food that doesn't belong to you etc.

It's a balancing act when your "staff" are unpaid.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 08 Mar 2018, 12:51

Yeah, I'm really not sure how any of the implicit rules of an office would apply in your situation.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 08 Mar 2018, 12:56

They don't. It's a complete mind fuck sometimes.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 Mar 2018, 14:15

I use to work in road construction and management would throw the odd breakfast for the road crews. It cost a little but kept them happy. People just like a free feed.

Dunno how to balance things between self entitled volunteers and the charity's functions though.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 08 Mar 2018, 15:00

There's good science behind doing things like that. Can't remember the exact details of it, but from memory it was to do with people feeling like they're appreciated and instills a sense of belonging.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 08 Mar 2018, 16:22

It's a balancing act when acknowledging people with anything that costs money, as it's important that we're not perceived to be wasting money in any capacity when that money is donated to support families with ill children... and whilst I don't believe it's a waste of money to reward and acknowledge the people who help us keep running, some people can be very opinionated and vocal about this being an unnecessary expense.

As we see over 140 different people over the course of a month, as we are a 24/7 x 365 operation and as we never have more than 6-8 volunteers here at any one time, throwing morning teas/breakfasts/lunches/etc simply doesn't work as too many people miss out and the impact of doing this is not very wide spread.

It's important to remember that the majority (not all, but most) do not do what they do for acknowledgement, reward or praise and many people are actually uncomfortable with being rewarded in any way. We do a few things throughout the year to thank them though, and I do say "thank you" about 50 times a day!

Every April we hold a function at the House which is to jointly celebrate the House's birthday AND acknowledge the contribution of our volunteers. At this event every volunteer is presented with a certificate of appreciation, a letter detailing the hours they have volunteered to date and a small/inexpensive gifts (key rings, pens, coffee mugs, etc). We do cater this event including alcohol and put on live music, and we do not ask our volunteers to work at this event in any capacity and we invite them to bring their entire family if they wish. We also invite past and present guests to this event, and our volunteers get a real kick out of seeing the families they supported again and vice versa.

Every December we hold a Christmas Party at my bosses house - we do ask everyone to bring a plate to share, so this event isn't catered, but we do supply alcohol.

Every second month we hold a volunteer social event (friday night drinks, sunday lunch, etc) which is NOT catered or paid for by us, but as staff, we always ensure our attendance where ever possible to show our appreciation for what the team does.

This year for the first time the charity as a whole is holding a National Volunteer Conference called 'A Beautiful Difference' which will be held in Darling Harbour during the Vivid Festival. It's a 2 day event to acknowledge what a beautiful difference our volunteers make to the families we support, and to encourage, inspire and educate them further and they will also be celebrated at a gala dinner with live music etc. It's not financially possible to take everyone to this, but we were fortunate enough to secure a grant to fund the trip under 'volunteer training' so at a cost of around $1000/person I am pretty excited to be able to take 10 of my team members to this special event.

Edit: Oh, and we also do a fortnightly article in the local newspaper thing about individual volunteers who go the extra mile :)
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 08 Mar 2018, 21:56

There's absolutely nothing wrong with putting up signs to communicate. In fact, in your office environment it's probably the most effective way TO communicate with such a fluid workforce.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 09 Mar 2018, 17:04

Chez, really enjoyed reading your comments about your workplace... agree it would be extraordinarily challenging to drive an accountability and ownership perspective in a volunteer workforce and I don't envy you the task all. When I consider what demographics are generally attracted to and suitable for volunteering, that task becomes unimaginably harder.

I'll stick with my salaried workforce, thank you very much, and even they can be tricky to keep on-track.

Who'd be in people management?!
storm84 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 15:00
There's good science behind doing things like that. Can't remember the exact details of it, but from memory it was to do with people feeling like they're appreciated and instills a sense of belonging.
In my workplace we call it discretionary effort. This is a person giving you that extra 10% of their effort and commitment in response to their feeling engaged, respected, enfranchised, etc.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 09 Mar 2018, 17:33

Google has failed me. Didn't know next Monday was a public holiday until somebody told me this morning because I normally just look at what Google has auto-inserted :oops:

On the plus side: Woo! Long Weekend!
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 09 Mar 2018, 17:35

Hooray for Canberra Day!

Though tonight is a prod release so I'm gonna spend the long weekend hoping my phone doesn't ring.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 09 Mar 2018, 18:06

Yeah I hate people management and much prefer technical stuff...
Which is leading me to talking to work about a career change.

Currently in talks to technically swap position with one of the guys that reports to me, so they become the manager and I become the developer.
I have also just started a database course, just an intro to database to start with, but work has agreed to continue with the courses to help me move towards being a DBA. I'm so happy they are helping me with this change, and have been supportive.
Just need to get approval from all senior managers now, but that should be a tick and flick.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Mar 2018, 02:14

I've been encouraged to do more people management (namely delegating our work program down)... only problem is, most of the time, there's no one to delegate down to that has sufficient technical skills/capability to do some of the tasks. We're also in a bit of a holding pattern with getting more staff.

Oh, and HR put out leaflets around the workplace on Resilience in the workplace... so I'm guessing I'm not the only one who feels overworked.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 12 Mar 2018, 10:19

DarkMellie wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 17:04
Chez, really enjoyed reading your comments about your workplace... agree it would be extraordinarily challenging to drive an accountability and ownership perspective in a volunteer workforce and I don't envy you the task all. When I consider what demographics are generally attracted to and suitable for volunteering, that task becomes unimaginably harder.

I'll stick with my salaried workforce, thank you very much, and even they can be tricky to keep on-track.

Who'd be in people management?!
LOL, I understand what you are saying Mellie - my youngest team member is 19 and my eldest is 79, so I have to be highly adaptable with how I manage people as dealing with a 19 year old is a completely different ball game to dealing with a 79 year old. Interestingly, the older the volunteer, the easier they are to deal with with my most challenging demographic being a bunch of ladies in their 50's who are all ex-teachers and highly opinionated.

Having said all of the above, the majority of my team are here because they genuinely care about the cause and I really do love working with most of them. They're engaged, they're motivated and they love what they do - a completely different ball game to dealing with Joe Bloggs who breezes in and out for the pay packet and really couldn't give a shit.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 13 Mar 2018, 23:11

Using Excel for the first time in a long time.

Fuck this shit.

I had initially written more. But honestly, that sums it up pretty well.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 13 Mar 2018, 23:45

LOL. I use excel every day pretty much so don't have too much of a problem with it.

But I know that feeling indeed with using a program for the first time in ages.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 14 Mar 2018, 08:44

People who know how to use Excel can do some pretty amazing shit with it, all I can do is add up numbers.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 14 Mar 2018, 12:05

Yeah it's a pretty powerful beast. Not many people realise the programming potential in Excel;

https://mashable.com/2014/08/27/microso ... B2a9abvuqr
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 14 Mar 2018, 12:29

More than anything, I use spreadsheets for the way they format information than anything else. When we were house hunting, we used a spreadsheet because w could break down the information into a format that's easily comparable.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 14 Mar 2018, 14:22

excel is great, i seem to figure out at least 3 things a week to do in it

also cut my finger on monday morning and its still bleeding, probably should get it glued or something
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 14 Mar 2018, 14:23

kharis wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 14:22
excel is great, i seem to figure out at least 3 things a week to do in it

also cut my finger on monday morning and its still bleeding, probably should get it glued or something
Yeah you should, go get that taken care of before it gets infected
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 14 Mar 2018, 14:57

sad news, he made physics sexy again which is a great effort when your in a wheel chair :)
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 14 Mar 2018, 15:10

Disco wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 14:23
kharis wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 14:22
Yeah you should, go get that taken care of before it gets infected
heading up to the docs this arvo
brimlad wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 14:57
sad news, he made physics sexy again which is a great effort when your in a wheel chair :)
:(
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 14 Mar 2018, 18:34

Yay no stitches or glue needed. Of course they take off the dressing I put on this morning that was all bloody and it’s not bleeding anymore. Also hooray for tetanus shots and antibiotics. And another scar to add to the list
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Mar 2018, 20:27

Glad to see the cut isn't a major issue kharis.

I guess I can't complain about my headache I had all afternoon. Went home and crashed immediately.
0 x
CherryRed wrote: