Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

storm84

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by storm84 » 23 Apr 2018, 18:38

Yurtles wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 17:28
Didn't you only just get a new job not so long ago Storm? Was that only a short term thing?
I joined this department 8 months ago (contract due to expire 30th June), so it's been a while - at least by contracting standards (I've already been extended once). Though perhaps not long enough that I can throw away guaranteed employment and sit on at home like I did July last year.
Mugsy wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 18:34
I think Storm left DHS for his current place's IT contractor and now DHS has bought out his current employer. I could be wrong of course.

Is the staff changing much Storm?
Haven't been at DHS since 2015, last year I was at Health but quit when my contract was up.

In terms of staffing, looks like DHS wants to swallow up everyone. Whether everyone is happy with that arrangement is another matter.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 23 Apr 2018, 19:24

I say stick with DHS until you find a better department to work for. It'll be better than being unemployed and looking unattractive as a potential employee at the next interview.

Gotta love MOG changes... not.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 23 Apr 2018, 20:11

MOG would be better if it didn't involve going to terrible locations, like Armidale or Tuggeranong.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 23 Apr 2018, 20:26

Armidale is a great place - if that smaller town lifestyle is something that's appealing at any rate.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 23 Apr 2018, 21:04

tbh I've never been to Armidale and judge it entirely by its willingness to vote for Barnaby Joyce

I should also add that I lived in Tuggeranong for 7 years and have no problems with it, and that my comment is more a comment on the baffling move by that pointless akubra-wearing numpty to relocate a department to his electorate despite the loss in expertise that would cause.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 25 Apr 2018, 09:35

Midweek public holidays are the best.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 25 Apr 2018, 09:45

Mid week million dollar lottery wins would be better, I legitimately don't understand how I'm expected to work until I retire
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 25 Apr 2018, 11:39

The nature of retirement is the necessity you worked up until that moment. Sort of how you'll be expected to be awake before you go to sleep.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 25 Apr 2018, 14:45

storm84 wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 11:24
Got to make a work decision - whether to move back to DHS (they've taken over my current department's IT section) or risk it on the open market. Got until Friday to make the decision...

Hashtag first world problems
Keep the job THEN look for another?
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Disco

Post by Disco » 25 Apr 2018, 16:57

storm84 wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 11:39
The nature of retirement is the necessity you worked up until that moment. Sort of how you'll be expected to be awake before you go to sleep.
Yeah but I want to retire.. now :P Not when I'm 70
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 28 Apr 2018, 18:43

I reckon things must be properly messed up in Gaza for those protestors to be provoking Israel. It's like poking a dog that has an extremely long, very well documented history of biting people that poke it.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 28 Apr 2018, 19:36

Currently trying to figure out something good to use my 7 weeks of annual leave on. Currently thinking of saving it up some more and going on this:

Yeah, I might have this as well...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 28 Apr 2018, 20:37

Doing an overseas trip that lasts for several weeks would be amazing. I'm settling on 8 days (current plan) in Japan next year as the right balance between length of stay and cost pic stay.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 29 Apr 2018, 08:49

I got a friend who's going to Japan today for about 10 days so 8 days is about right. I think my bro did the same timeframe when he went a year or two ago. He didn't enjoy one of the AIrBNB places they got though but overall he liked the trip esp since he has a friend or two there and also got to see Studio Ghibli museum. Japan's another country I've still yet to do.

It's been over 3yrs since my last overseas holiday (about 2.5wks in China with my folks and bro) and over 10yrs since an overseas holiday that's lasted over a month (Tanzania with a youth group that I just managed be young enough to adventure with) so I'm definitely overdue for something a bit more epic in scale. My only concern is whether I'll be fit enough to rough it so I'm giving myself the next year or so to get into shape and to sort my back out. Dragoman do a 20% sale around this time every year from memory but their tours for the same year get booked out by this time so I might have to see how my health is going over the next year, take a week or two off here and there, and do this 3 month thing in 2020 instead... OK so that's 2yrs to get into shape and to sort my back out but 1yr to be certain my health is where it needs to be.

It does look like they rough it quite a bit over those 3 months...

(the lady's accent at the 2min 30sec mark makes it sound like she's talking about something else)

But I've experienced similar on my trip to Tanzania. I'm just not as young anymore.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 30 Apr 2018, 15:28

When you go on these trips, do you feel imperative to learn the native language? I'm fretting about not knowing any Japanese while in Japan that I've decided to learn as much as possible in the next 12 months (which won't be much at all because I suck with learning languages) because I worry about being isolated or dumbfounded without some basic language skills.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 30 Apr 2018, 17:45

In most cases, I don't but I do prep a hell of a lot of documents beforehand. For Japan, there's apparently enough English signs or people who speak English to get by. But knowing what people are saying and being able use their language to some degree never hurts if you have the time to learn some basic Japanese.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 30 Apr 2018, 18:59

One handy thing is that there's a lot of on-the-fly translator apps that work for phones. Good for a lot of signs as long as the font isn't too weird or busy.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 30 Apr 2018, 20:36

i spent several weeks in Japan almost 20 years ago, couldn't speak a lick of Japanese and got buy just fine with an english-to-japanese pocket dictionary.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 30 Apr 2018, 20:36

Oh god, I just realised it was it was like 22 years ago, not almost 20 years ago.... sigh.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 30 Apr 2018, 21:47

A good friend of mine introduced me to a mate of his a few years back... the mate was Werner, and Werner suffered a rare skin condition that meant his skin was irritated merely by existing and it was debilitating enough that Werner was considered as permanently disabled by Centrelink. Werner is a nice guy, and a huge fan of strategy games... I'm talking 1719 hours in Rimworld, 1652 in Sellaris, 1479 in Distant Worlds Universe and so on... and even more impressively, he usually doesn't have any steam achievements in those games as he plays with so many different mods.

Found out last night that no-one had heard from him in over two weeks, so my friend went around to his house, broke in and found Werner passed away at his computer.

Very sad... I wasn't close to Werner, but the notion of being so alone that you can die on your home and no-one knows...

...hug the ones you love!
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 30 Apr 2018, 22:07

CherryRed wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 20:36
Oh god, I just realised it was it was like 22 years ago, not almost 20 years ago.... sigh.
Amazing how time flies. 10yrs ago, my plan was to do my Masters in 2yrs and go on 6 months worth of travel using long service leave and annual leave... my Masters took 3.5yrs (including a 1 semester break) and immediately afterwards (like 2min after graduating) I was let go from State Government during the Liberals' purge of all temps in the QLD public service (note that I had a permanent position till 6 months before that point). I got paid out my long service and annual leave with a huge chunk going to the tax man and not much left to take the holiday I wanted plus tend to my mortgage during my 4 months of unplanned unemployment.

Fast forward 6yrs and I'm back with the government with a permanent position, relieving at the level I was at when I was fired and planning half of the same holiday I was 10yrs ago coz I have excess leave again - lol

The original holiday was meant to start in Vietnam, traveling north to Beijing, then do the Silk Road through to the city of Kashgar and then travel down to Kathmandu... I could never get that last stretch to work as crossing from China to Nepal is very dangerous. Some people have hiked it through the mountainous terrain along the highways and they've been lucky to survive.

Well, since 2011, I've done a decent chunk of China on two separate 16 day trips with the folks and my bro. We're thinking of doing Vietnam next year, and this Silk Road trip I'll do alone will properly cover off on the Silk Road through to Europe which is better than what I was planning 10yrs ago. I'll tick off on Nepal after that.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 30 Apr 2018, 22:13

DarkMellie wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 21:47
Found out last night that no-one had heard from him in over two weeks, so my friend went around to his house, broke in and found Werner passed away at his computer.

Very sad... I wasn't close to Werner, but the notion of being so alone that you can die on your home and no-one knows...

...hug the ones you love!
That's super sad mate. Good on your friend for caring enough to act on his concerns.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 01 May 2018, 12:08

DarkMellie wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 21:47
That is terribly sad.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 01 May 2018, 14:28

Yeah I thought so too. Thing is, I'm worried about my mate given that's a fairly horrific thing to have to do (if you care enough to break in, then the death means something to you as well)... but then he has some sort of brittle-bone thing (I really should know the name of it) that has at various times in his life frozen him inside his own skeleton in immense pain so I think he might have built up a resistance to the notion of death!

Anywho. Moving forward... played some games in his honour last night, I'll miss his strategic advice!
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 02 May 2018, 17:08

yes agreed, a sad state of affairs. you are a good friend. may you remember him for all your time here.
are we not but vessels of memories of those who have gone. and when we go - they are gone, and we are the next to be but memories. and so on and so forth.
mayhap a good life is one that is stored in the memories of many. but a memory of a memory is not the same thing. so all things must pass.
0 x