Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

CherryRed

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by CherryRed » 06 Aug 2018, 21:14

It's not the current neighbours fault that other people behaved badly.... but hey, go right ahead and approach it in the least friendly way possible and make yourself yet another neighbourly enemy. Enjoy.

Also, you might wanna let go of some of that stress before you have yourself an aneurysm.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 06 Aug 2018, 21:32

I think if anyone collected their horror stories over years and recounted them all at once, everyone would come off sounding like a bitter curmudgeon. Especially when apartment living, where you're surrounded by a higher number of people in closer proximity (often in temporary circumstances) than in other living arrangements. And most time most of the neighbours are fine - they barely rate a mention. Only takes the occasional bad neighbour, which is a statistical inevitability, to bring out the misanthrope within.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 06 Aug 2018, 21:43

BTW, Cherry, I did read your second post too and I do get where you're coming from.

In all honesty, I'm just way past that point of working with people with what is a trivial matter because it's exhausting. After long days at work, using my days off to take the folks to medical appointments, and spending my free time managing body corp issues when other owners don't give a shit enough to vote when they're being told they need to cough up $13k, I just don't have it in me to be patient.

In body corps, we have by laws that spell out the expectation around things like noise. If he's got the capacity to buy a half million dollar townhouse, he's got capacity to learn this stuff on his own.

And yeah, I've acknowledged that I'm the arsehole here... seems to be the only way to get any results without burning myself out in body corp living. But I'd rather be the arsehole 10% of the time who has his peace and quiet the remaining 90% than be the one who's consistently bullied by inconsiderate neighbours and can't get any peace 100% of the time. I've been the latter before for long enough and am not going back there.

EDIT: a few posts popped up between me typing this post and reading the mountain of body corp docs on the current repairs, getting legal advice on whether the builders are liable and if the body corp is liable in anyway for the current balcony damage, and also the fire and safety report.

I'm gonna sign off at this point as I need to get through my body corp readings. I think it's evident we all have differing opinions here based on our different life experience.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 07 Aug 2018, 06:32

I've lived in complexes since I was 18, so almost 20 years, so I'm fully aware of the challenges of having lots of people living in close proximity - but I'm also conscious that our current complex is primarily free of drama because the body corporate is professionally managed by an independent party.

If I can be completely honest, I think there is far too much emotion in this based on previous experiences for you to be the most effective person to he managing the body corporate issues, and the amount of stress it seems to create for you seems unhealthy. If y'all can afford to buy half million dollar town houses, y'all can surely afford to pay a professional who is neutral emotionally to manage your property.

Also as a side note, when I bought our current place it was my first property purchase and I was not provided with a copy of the by-laws; body corporate assumed previous owner or real estate agent passed these on. If you continue running the body corporate, might I suggest any new residents have a copy provided when they move in?
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 Aug 2018, 07:21

CherryRed wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 06:32
If y'all can afford to buy half million dollar town houses, y'all can surely afford to pay a professional who is neutral emotionally to manage your property.
If you're referring to an independent body corp manager, yep, we have one. We also have a site manager considering the size of the complex. Don't get the other owners started on the site manager... they all think he's incompetent and I do have to agree to some extent considering it took over 3 months for some wooden slats on my front gate to be nailed back on. If anything, I've had to be the voice of reason in that there are much worse site managers out there like our previous ones (from the 1 month exposure I had to them before they were fired) or the dodgy ones running the serviced apartment complex my bro use to have a stake in. In my bro's case, poor management from the body corp manager, site managers and previous committee resulted in the body corp being fined over $10k per month by the government until they upgraded their fire systems (which wasn't going to be an overnight job). Letting an independent party run things isn't risk free... I'd say it's riskier.

Since a body corp committee still needs to be made up of lot owners or proxies of lot owners (i.e. that proxy would only be my rep on the body corp, not a rep for other owners and would have to be someone I'd trust) you're always going to get owners with their own vested interest to some degree. There are a lot of things that the body corp manager and site manager simply don't have the authority to make decisions on. I get reminded of this every time I go to a BCCM seminar.

I thought I was too emotional too... that's why I had next to no contact with the other owners for the first 3yrs of owning here and also bailed on the previous committee for the other place I'd have trouble selling at break even. Spent my spare time playing Diablo 3 instead and was happy. But things haven't been managed properly at this current complex. Previous committee blew our sinking fund a few years back on painting work that shouldn't have gone ahead. From what I can tell, there's been no condition assessment reports done to gauge when we'd likely need to spend money on major maintenance and I've yet to see a Sinking Fund forecast either. It was very much reactive responses. It's why there's a minimum $400k damage repair estimate... possibly up to to $800k depending on how bad the non-visible damage is and there will likely be more considering roof structural issues have been detected now.

In a perfect world, I'd much prefer someone independent to run things and I go back to playing Diablo 3. I was happier for sure. But no owner has taken the lead adequately thus far and letting other independent parties make decisions (or lack of decisions) has cost us a lot already. Considering I work in property, have been a chairman before, actually put in an effort to keep myself educated on the BCCM act (something a very small number of owners or even site managers do... we still have the body corp manager as our source of knowledge on the BCCM act) and and actually give enough of a shit to be active, I'd say that I'm probably the best option for chairman atm. I know I'm not perfect but the other options are either too costly at the moment or have failed us already.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 07 Aug 2018, 16:10

Department I interviewed at last week offered me the job. Should start in 2 weeks.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 07 Aug 2018, 16:11

Awesome, Congrats on the new position.
What kind of job is it?
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

storm84

Post by storm84 » 07 Aug 2018, 16:18

Java Developer. Same job I've been doing for 11 years now.
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 07 Aug 2018, 16:52

im making a lot of arched doors and doorframes at the moment.
just saying hi to you all, i've been rather busy.
hope you are all well.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 07 Aug 2018, 18:09

Congrats storm!

Nice to see you around MT!
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

kharis

Post by kharis » 07 Aug 2018, 18:57

Disco wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 18:09
Congrats storm!

Nice to see you around MT!
ditto! :)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 Aug 2018, 19:30

Congrats Storm! Well deserved.

I'm currently awaiting news from my interview. Definitely wasn't my best one but far from my worst. Got a late enquiry at work tonight that seemed similar to one of the interview Qs so I felt compelled to spend a bit of time thinking about it. Left work around 7pm.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 07 Aug 2018, 20:57

Well I didn't win division 1, but I did win $51 in lotto so that's something
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 Aug 2018, 21:15

I'm assuming the ticket/s cost less than $51 (seriously, I've never bought a lottery ticket so have NFI how much they cost)
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

kharis

Post by kharis » 07 Aug 2018, 21:16

I won nothing. There is always the powerball I guess
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 07 Aug 2018, 21:24

kharis wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 21:16
I won nothing. There is always the powerball I guess
Worse odds.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Disco

Post by Disco » 07 Aug 2018, 21:34

I'll buy a ticket anyway, never hurts
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 08 Aug 2018, 15:18

As long as you have the disposable income. Not as bad as the pokies at least.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 08 Aug 2018, 15:43

If the hope that comes from winning the lottery exceeds the fiscal outlay, then buying a lottery ticket is a rational exercise. You're almost certainly not going to win (higher chance of dying in a car accident driving to buy a lottery ticket), but since people get their kicks from thinking about the possibility of winning and for them buying a lottery ticket is worth the purchase. Personally I think it's better spent on beer / wine / coffee.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 08 Aug 2018, 15:51

Sure it's low odds, but the two guys now sharing $70m from last night had the same odds, for $13 p/w it's a chance at a lifestyle that's completely out of reach for me, and it never hurts to dream.

I buy one ticket a week, costs $13 something, and every now and then I get a nice win out of it, I don't gamble on anything else, I don't even buy take away coffee, so I don't mind spending it and hoping for a one in a whatever shot at retiring young.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 Aug 2018, 18:01

I'm with the points storm and disco made... if one has the disposable income and keeps it to that one ticket per week... and they're OK with forgoing the opportunity cost of, say, $13/week on something else (or $676/yr) then why not?

If one fears it'll become an addiction that will take over... that would be reason to avoid the gambling. I'm not convinced that I could play the lottery and not keep spending more on it over time and I'd prefer to spend that $676 on a new camera lens each year so I don't gamble.

On the topic of addiction, I should probably cut back on my chocolate and chicken chips purchases each week. They somehow became a staple of my diet when I found myself buying more food when mum and dad moved in. Pretty sure that's about $13 per week... I'd say that getting a lottery ticket would be a better investment than growing a fat gut - lol
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 09 Aug 2018, 15:47

Disco wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 15:51
Sure it's low odds, but the two guys now sharing $70m from last night had the same odds, for $13 p/w it's a chance at a lifestyle that's completely out of reach for me, and it never hurts to dream.

I buy one ticket a week, costs $13 something, and every now and then I get a nice win out of it, I don't gamble on anything else, I don't even buy take away coffee, so I don't mind spending it and hoping for a one in a whatever shot at retiring young.
Yeah that's the way I think about it too. I have a mate who got addicted to the pokies and ended up 30 grand in the hole, that is very different to occasionally buying a lotto ticket when the prize gets above $10m, like I do.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

storm84

Post by storm84 » 09 Aug 2018, 16:08

Pokies really are incomparable to lottery tickets - it's so much easier to gamble responsibly when the timeframes for draws are weekly, rather than being immediate feedback and gratification. Too much delay between outlay and reward allows for the more rational parts of the brain to kick in and override any compulsion that the risk / reward cycle of certain forms of gambling can generate.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 09 Aug 2018, 17:01

$13/week is nothing to us, really... we'd spend that on a glass of nice wine. So like the hubs said, it gives us a chance at a life that is otherwise out of reach. If we 'saved' that $13/week, it would take almost 1500 years to save a million bucks, so why not have a flutter? We might not win, and we fully accept and understand that... but one thing is for certain, we definitely won't win without a ticket.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 10 Aug 2018, 01:10

CherryRed wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 17:01
$13/week is nothing to us, really... we'd spend that on a glass of nice wine. So like the hubs said, it gives us a chance at a life that is otherwise out of reach. If we 'saved' that $13/week, it would take almost 1500 years to save a million bucks, so why not have a flutter? We might not win, and we fully accept and understand that... but one thing is for certain, we definitely won't win without a ticket.
The game is always rigged, but you can't win if you don't play. :lol:

(i might have had 2 tickets)
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants