Formula 1

Yes, and eSports too!
Mini

Formula 1

Post by Mini » 19 Mar 2016, 17:27

Surprised that no one has raised a thread for F1's yet... I know popularity has waned over the last few years but I thought someone around here would be talking about it...

Anyway, what is everyone's thoughts on the new qualifying format?
I'm having to watch the live stream through the TenPlay website as my kids have stolen the TV for playing the Wii.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

GamingKen

Re: Formula 1

Post by GamingKen » 19 Mar 2016, 17:38

I've loved F1 for years but my interest has seriously declined at the moment, for many reasosn. Coverage moving to Foxtel, too many gimmicks in the sport, bad car and engine regulations, bad general regulations such as the new qualifying system, too much Bernie Ecclestone, too much drivers pushing buttons when told to by engineers rather than seeing a driver wrestle the steering wheel in an attempt to put a huge amount of power down efficiently onto the track. I could go on and on about my disappointment in the sport now.

I'm watching qualifying at the moment and I will watch the race tomorrow, but that will basically be end of my 2016 season after this weekend, which is a big change to when I used to stay up until any hour to watch every race live (or as close to live as we were given, such as back when it was often late late night on Channel 9)

So in short, lots of "meh" from me (which is sad) :eh:
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 19 Mar 2016, 17:43

I have heard good things about Formula E(? I think that is it, the electric racing, but finding it to watch is harder again...)
I haven't watched in years, I think the last time I really took notice Damon Hill and Schu for fighting it out...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 19 Mar 2016, 17:50

There is quite a lot of Formula E on YouTube, including full races. It is pretty interesting and definitely has some serious names in the cars. IT uses a lot more street circuits and is visually slower, but still not bad. Being one chassis series it is less focused upon aero etc and does allow more of a focus on the drivers/driving. I notice there is an official channel on Youtube now, so all the full races may have been pulled from others channels. Official Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/FIAFormulaE

0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 19 Mar 2016, 17:57

...well that qualifying sucked a lot, as expected. The clock is still counting down and drivers are off weighing in. No drama down to the last second to see who could grab pole. Terrible!
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 19 Mar 2016, 18:01

Kinda stupid really...
Wonder if they will rethink the idea during the year and change everything?

Completely agree on the cars doing more than the drivers these days too...
And I am so going to that Youtube channel tonight to have it running on my second monitor while I play something. Thanks Meare...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 19 Mar 2016, 18:08

I doubt it will change much this year now that Bernie has pushed it through. I hope so though, it was pretty well perfect for qualifying as it was.

Current Indycar's are even a good alternative (when on street circuits which they do more of now), though again hard to find stuff on. Their official YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/indycars

Official upload of a full race.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 19 Mar 2016, 18:10

I need to find some good racing to watch...
Nothing is on free to air anymore, so youtube channels and online live broadcasts I guess I go looking...
Maybe I will get back into watching Rally..
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 19 Mar 2016, 18:16

I end up watching more live iRacing broadcasts/streams than I do real racing these days. Sad state of affairs with so much of it going to pay tv.

http://www.iracing.com/live/
0 x

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 19 Mar 2016, 19:04

Mearehear wrote:I've loved F1 for years but my interest has seriously declined at the moment, for many reasosn. Coverage moving to Foxtel, too many gimmicks in the sport, bad car and engine regulations, bad general regulations such as the new qualifying system, too much Bernie Ecclestone, too much drivers pushing buttons when told to by engineers rather than seeing a driver wrestle the steering wheel in an attempt to put a huge amount of power down efficiently onto the track. I could go on and on about my disappointment in the sport now.

I'm watching qualifying at the moment and I will watch the race tomorrow, but that will basically be end of my 2016 season after this weekend, which is a big change to when I used to stay up until any hour to watch every race live (or as close to live as we were given, such as back when it was often late late night on Channel 9)

So in short, lots of "meh" from me (which is sad) :eh:
This is exactly how I feel, too :cry:

I'd rather just play a racing sim than watch motorsport these days.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 19 Mar 2016, 19:08

Vital-Blurs wrote:I'd rather just play a racing sim than watch motorsport these days.
It's a sad state of affairs isn't it? Even V8supercars has disappeared mainly to paytv and won't be V8Supercars anymore as of next year I believe, becoming just Supercars and allowing a variety of different engine configurations into the series, making it just another sedan racing series instead of the unique series it is now. I'm disappointed in motorsport across the board :( I'm subscribed to a few different official series on YouTube, and watch their highlights and special features, but that is about it these days despite wanting to watch some good racing.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 19 Mar 2016, 20:20

New qualifying was awful at the track, none of the big screens were indicating who was in the drop zone, how close the times were at the bottom, even listening to the radio it was hard to follow. Bit of a disappointment.

Still looking forward to the race (grandstand ticket at Turn 1/2), and still enjoy the racing in F1/The sport in general, and disagree with most of the above complaints about the drivers actions in the car/how much control they have.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 20 Mar 2016, 12:57

Well the new qualifying format lasted a long time...
Looking forward to the race and hoping for some close action, really can't see it happening, but hopefully someone keeps a bit of pace with the Merc's
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mini

Post by Mini » 20 Mar 2016, 19:44

Well that ended up being a fairly good race in the end. Slightly happy that both Hamilton and Vettel lost.
I like Rosberg, so seeing him win was god.

But that crash... wow... shows the strength of those cars that he walked away from it.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Makena

Post by Makena » 20 Mar 2016, 20:01

Good race! Haas points on debut is awesome, honestly hoped the Manor's would be a bit more in it, but they're in range for if things go really wrong at a race sometime at least
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 20 Apr 2016, 20:15

Well that as an interesting race last weekend in China, wish I could watch it on free to air tv.
Not really sure what Vettel was thinking, but I don't think I will ever understand that one...

And nice drive by Ricciardo, looks like the Red Bulls are slowly getting some of there speed back, and much faster in the corners than the Mercs...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

jambo

Post by jambo » 21 Apr 2016, 22:31

I rather enjoyed the China race. Just wish Dan didn't get that puncture, would've been a podium for sure =[

If anyone's interested, Giant Bomb has a Formula 1 focused podcast called Alt+F1, hosted by Giant Bomb and Gamespot peeps.

Been running since the 2014 season and it's more 2 mates having a chat than in-depth technical discussions.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/altf1/
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 05 May 2016, 18:15

http://www.redbullracing.com/article/new-line-spain

:o

I get that Daniil fucked up, but I really just think this is to ensure Verstappen doesn't go anywhere else
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 05 May 2016, 18:31

Seems a weird thing to do a few races into the season. Will see how it pans out I guess.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mini

Post by Mini » 16 May 2016, 13:25

Wow, what a start to the latest GP.... Just Wow

Adding spoilers in case someone hasn't watched it yet
What were the Mercedes thinking? Will be interesting what comes out of it, to me it looked like they were both in the wrong...
And Riccardo getting another puncture, so close to getting past Vettel though.

And well done to Verstappen, Red Bull have pulled off something extraordinary in pulling him up into the main team.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

jambo

Post by jambo » 16 May 2016, 13:38

Crazy start and also a great finish.

i actually ended up falling asleep because of how late it went. I'll need to rewatch the last 20 laps tonight.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 30 May 2016, 11:56

Good to see the Sydney paper knows what it is talking about...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsport/ ... p6ck7.html
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Makena

Post by Makena » 30 May 2016, 12:25

What's wrong with it? He did get his first pole?

Fucking RBR though, ruined his fucking race, feel so sorry for Daniel, and damnit Hamilton I don't want you catching up to Rosberg.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 30 May 2016, 12:47

Yes he did, but he doesn't drive for Mercedes :D
And yeah, fucking horrible pit stop... its like they don't want to win...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Makena

Post by Makena » 30 May 2016, 12:51

Mini wrote:Yes he did, but he doesn't drive for Mercedes :D
And yeah, fucking horrible pit stop... its like they don't want to win...
Reading who has time for it :oops:
0 x