The "No Spoilers" Spoiler Post

Player Attack News straight from the horse's mouth
NewsBot

The "No Spoilers" Spoiler Post

Post by NewsBot » 25 May 2016, 14:29

When Star Wars: The Force Awakens was released, there was an unspoken promise made worldwide; a promise not to talk about plot spoilers for a decent amount of time. "We promise not to ruin a hugely anticipated movie for people by openly talking about it on social media."

So why the hell doesnt that apply to anything else?

Read more here

(If the post below (from dotarray) isn't clear - don't post spoilers for anything in this thread. Not even using the spoiler tag. Okay? Okay. - Mythor)
0 x

Mythor

Re: The

Post by Mythor » 25 May 2016, 14:47

If it's something that's airing in Australia I will generally try and wait until it has done so before blabbing anywhere public, unless it's a blog or forum post where people are provided ample warning beforehand. And even then, usually I won't.

For Game of Thrones I usually don't, because I know people will be behind. I've even taken to referring to it as "Thame of Grones" on Twitter, so nobody can jump in on the replies and try to spoil it for anyone. Seems extreme, but last season a video game account I was following on Twitter posted something of a spoiler, to which I sent a reply telling them off for it. Then a random jerk jumped in to get very specific on the spoiler details.

The main thing I try to do when I do tweet about a specific show is to always remember the relevant hashtag, so if anyone doesn't want to see tweets about it for any reason the solution is a simple mute away. People who do not hashtag their shit get put in the bin.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 25 May 2016, 14:55

...I'm very cautious about leaving comments open on this post :(
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 25 May 2016, 14:57

dotarray wrote:...I'm very cautious about leaving comments open on this post :(
I'm keeping an eye on it. :dodgy:
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 25 May 2016, 15:05

Timezones are jerks.

I try and be mindful of spoilers, as I really hate them, getting pretty good at avoiding them, but sometimes people post what they don't think is a real spoiler (like GoT this week) but when you're watching it, it's like, oh, I see what's about to happen
0 x

TodesAngst

Post by TodesAngst » 25 May 2016, 15:09

I feel the same about those "Tell all, Show everything" game "walkthroughs" that EVERY gaming site feels they have to publish within days of any game coming out. But there is not much we in Australia can do about it. Game of thrones is going to be spoiled every episode if you don't download it or stay up until 4am to watch it live on Foxtel. You just have to not read the spoilers :(
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 25 May 2016, 15:10

If the above (from dotarray) wasn't clear - don't post spoilers for anything in this thread. Not even using the spoiler tag. Okay? Okay.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 25 May 2016, 15:11

it's pretty bad, even sites like news.com.au will start with their reviews and spoiler laden articles before most people leave work on a monday, being an australian site you would think that they would appreciate that most people aren't gonna watch it until later int he evening.

personally I'm not too fussed if i see a spoiler before watching a show, it makes me pay more attention to what else is happening that other people may miss while reeling from the latest death/dismemberment/ship.... But I am careful to not spoil stuff for others and keep most of my thoughts in the relevant posts here, twitter/facebook are reserved for reactions not relating to anything specific
0 x

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 25 May 2016, 15:13

TodesAngst wrote:Game of thrones is going to be spoiled every episode if you don't download it or stay up until 4am to watch it live on Foxtel.
10:30 Monday morning, Adelaide time. Quite reasonable... unless you have other commitments like, I dunno, a job, or something like that.

And yes, while Spoiler tags work on the forum, they don't on the news part of the site, so even though that may be fixed eventually, let's just carry on without posting anything controversial, hmm?
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

Makena

Post by Makena » 25 May 2016, 15:16

My bad, didn't know spoiler tags wouldn't work on the news page itself.

LEARNDING!

And yes, unless I work from home and just spend an hour in the middle of the day watching TV, it's hard to avoid (Though that's not the worst idea I've had :lol:)
0 x

Mythor

Re: The "No Spoilers" Spoiler Post

Post by Mythor » 25 May 2016, 15:19

No problem, just had to jump on it to be safe. If I didn't and somebody got spoiled I would be sad. :(
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 25 May 2016, 15:39

Yeah fucking gizmodo as soon as the show was aired posted an article or two about this weeks GoT and spoiled the fuck out of it for me. Excuse my language, but it really pissed me off.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 25 May 2016, 16:08

*runs up and screams the following spoiler*

THE TITANIC SINKS AT THE END!

*runs away*
1 x

phylum

Post by phylum » 25 May 2016, 17:25

The dog dies
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 25 May 2016, 17:44

I went into full social media black out when star wars came out until after I had seen it, usually if its a show I really want to see I just avoid social media until I get home and watch it, the only things I really watch these days that are a spoiler rish are Arrow, Flash and WWE stuff thankfully being a pro wrestling fan it's pretty easy to avoid spoilers, theres like 2 youtube channels I watch who only post videos with pictures of themselves as the thumb and the pro wrestling forums are always pretty terrible.

I did once have the Superbowl results spoiled for me because a NSFW post of a girl with the final scores painted on her bare ass hit the front page of reddit and I didn't have thumbnails switched off.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 25 May 2016, 18:55

News sites are terrible for this these days, especially Fairfax. TV shows shouldn't even classify as news.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

storm84

Post by storm84 » 25 May 2016, 19:15

Even trying to go out of my way to avoid GoT spoilers (won't pirate, waiting for the DVDs is better than paying Foxtel), I'm still unavailable to avoid major spoilers. It's really frustrating.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 25 May 2016, 20:09

Eh, I'm usually not browsing news articles or tend to have a whole lot of tv watching friends on facebook. I don't use Twitter and never really even understood this whole 'hashtag' thing either, so that's a non issue for me.
Sometimes I browse reddit while at work, but simply staying off the relevant subreddits is a no-brainer (Especially /squared circle on Pay-per-View days.. christ the moderators must have a stroke from the amount of spoiler posts there that break the rules)
I have things downloaded and ready to watch on the same day for when I get home, and don't really have a stop inbetween or an opportunity to accidentally encounter anything else that would spoil any of the things I generally watch (Not a GoT watcher, so I guess that's a big one that doesn't affect me)

Where do we draw the line overall though in terms of longer lasting things? Is there a list where the statute of limitations and respective times are cited until it's ok to talk about things on a per medium basis?
Then after that hurdle it gets even hazier and unclear with reboots and remasters and re-releases of things that seemingly reset this counter for newer audiences.
You're Gonna get your ass kicked for talking about plot points that happen in the Walking Dead comic from several volumes back even though they were printed years ago - all because of this new show that people watch and don't want to read. (I have to be really careful when discussing this and try to mentally remember where the show is up to in relation etc. incase I accidentally let something slip)
Similarly I saw someone lose their sh*t on the steam forums of FFX/X2 remaster the other week when it launched because I and others weren't using spoiler tags... for a ~15 year old game... :roll:

Just seems to be no hard established rules regarding this, and you have to be overly delicate and careful 100% of the time in order to achieve that status of 'Not being a dick'
0 x

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 26 May 2016, 15:06

Yes, this frustrates me to no end. For the most part I've selected pretty good friends so I don't worry about seeing them on facebook too much. The issue I have is with media news sites wanting to talk about the shows and episodes just after they air. They include a screencap from the episode and a title that reveals too much information anyway. Then they have a paragraph claiming don't read below if you don't want spoilers, yet the article headline and byline along with the picture in many cases is the spoiler.

It's the same thing when someone spoils a movie with a twist, but they don't tell you what the twist is, just that "I can't believe that twist at the end"

Great, now I know there's a twist coming, so it completely changes the way I view the movie/show.
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 27 May 2016, 08:39

Aye aye capt'n!
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

0lt

Post by 0lt » 30 May 2016, 23:12

It doesn't help when even mainstream media are posting spoilers too. For example the SMH will often post an article about the latest episode, in some cases before the episode has been legally on TV in Australia. Then two articles later, they're posting yet more articles complaining about how frequently its pirated :shock:
0 x