Is being a “Gamer” a thing of the past?

Player Attack News straight from the horse's mouth
NewsBot

Is being a “Gamer” a thing of the past?

Post by NewsBot » 03 Dec 2016, 12:00

Sitting in a dimly lit room, four teenagers sit, eyes glued to a screen, hot, sweaty, praying, waiting in anticipation... will that last jumper change allow us to get that damn bit of coax that is plugged into the back of this computer to talk to that other damn bit of coax plugged into that other computer. Welcome to my teenage nightmare.
The post Is being a “Gamer” a thing of the past? appeared first on Player Attack.

Read more here
0 x

SonicFRAG

Re: Is being a “Gamer” a thing of the past?

Post by SonicFRAG » 08 Dec 2016, 09:33

So true .... also the story of my teenage years. I do love to hear stories of yesteryear, but am glad that its so much easier now. Trying to play a co-op game of C&C via serial cable, using specially crafted autoexec.bat to get more conventional RAM .. oh and the 386to486.exe software overclock! Those were the days :)
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 08 Dec 2016, 11:22

And then leaving said game running for 16hrs to strip the entire map of Tiberium, build fuck-arse massive armies, set them on each other and come back in another hour or so to see who won :D
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 07 Feb 2017, 20:03

Kind of in the past.

There's still problems that can crop up with gaming that all that stuff we learnt to do helps with, but it's definitely nice to be able to click a button on steam and have a game just work, we get to spend more time actually playing games and less time tinkering, even if the tinkering is the intellectually puzzle solving satisfying part.
2 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 08 Feb 2017, 21:13

Honestly, now that im in my 30's and paying for games with money I earned myself I've found that "tinkering" is a thing of the past for me. It's not 1998 and I'm not downloading mods and missions overnight from Fileplanet, I'm notpissing about with pirated ROM's trying to get 15 copies of a game working so we can have a LAN on the weekend... if a game doesn't just work when i install it then it goes straight to the recycle bin and i get a refund. I tend to do that with modding etc now too, either its simple and it works or it can piss off.

Aint nobody putting up with that bullshit.
1 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

kharis

Post by kharis » 08 Feb 2017, 21:25

closest i get these days is building my pc every 18 months or so or having to reseat everything in my sons pc because my other son has kicked it or something

there are so many games out there now that for me some of the magic is gone, graphics are more important than the journey and it makes me sad, also between work, kids, house work and whatever else pops up, I'm finding it harder and harder to get into something these days
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 Feb 2017, 23:42

Despite being in my 30s and not having a family to deal with, real life responsibilities and other priorities have still resulted in a massive change in my gaming habits.

I've never built my own PC but use to stay up to date with the latest hardware religiously. These days, I'll only read up on the latest hardware when I need to get a new rig which is anywhere between 3-7yrs as I'll literally use a PC till it dies on me.

I do find that I'm slower to troubleshoot tech issues. My latest issue, a half dead modem, would have taken me half the time to troubleshoot in the past as I knew all the tech settings like the back of my hand. These days there's a lot more "working through the problem" than using instincts and memorised facts, and if my internet was fully out, I probably would have been in trouble without google to use (my mobile only has a 100Mb quota every 3 months and I hate typing anything on the phone).

Do I want to go back to the old days? Definitely NO! There are other things in life I want to focus on.

But my time as a hardcore PC gamer during my mid-teens to mid-20s did teach me a lot about how to use and manage a PC. I still use a PC more effectively than most of the people around my age that I deal with regularly.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 09 Feb 2017, 09:12

I don't think it was any sort of rite of passage or badge of honour to do all that. It was necessity, and worth it because of the payoff. Nothing is lost by the advance in stability of PCs, nor by the ease of use that have come from advances in networking.

We needed to update PCs because advances in hardware made all the difference, but these days not so much. Only upgrade I've done in recent years (aside from the SSD - best decision ever!) was to replace my 4YO graphics card because it was incompatible with Fallout 4.

We used to pirate and fiddle around with cracks because it was a lot of money to buy games and it was the only way everyone got a copy. These days, there's Steam that makes retail seamless with the gaming experience.

I still call myself a gamer because I actively look forward to playing games. That passion I discovered I had when I first played Doom multiplayer is still there, and something I actively indulge in when life allows.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 09 Feb 2017, 14:57

kharis wrote:there are so many games out there now that for me some of the magic is gone, graphics are more important than the journey and it makes me sad, also between work, kids, house work and whatever else pops up, I'm finding it harder and harder to get into something these days
It's harder to find diamonds in the rough now since so many games are released.

I could play almost anything as a teenager and that certainly isn't the case now.

I'm single and without dependants but I can understand why people with a family don't have the time to commit to many games and/or grind the games they already have.

It's a good thing that games are more accessible now.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 09 Feb 2017, 23:02

For me, being a gamer was more about things like being prepared to wait 30 minutes for a game to load from cassette, and I am definitely glad we have progressed from those days. :thumbup:

Like with many others here, it was gaming that taught me a lot about computers but I am very happy have things easier now.
0 x