Netflix to shut down proxy and ‘unblocker’ services

Player Attack News straight from the horse's mouth
NewsBot

Netflix to shut down proxy and ‘unblocker’ services

Post by NewsBot » 15 Jan 2016, 11:51

If you're like myself, then you've become quite acquainted with proxy services and Chrome extensions to 'unblock' the regional restrictions of popular streaming giant Netflix. Turns out, our days of cheekily circumventing their systems are numbered.

Read more here
0 x

Mythor

Re: Netflix to shut down proxy and ‘unblocker’ services

Post by Mythor » 15 Jan 2016, 12:07

Hoping they're not going to try too hard on this. I get why they have to and I'm not mad at them for it, but I will be quite sad if I can no longer watch the occasional thing from US Netflix when the Australian one doesn't have it. I don't really use it that often, but the option is nice.

Getting an "unblocker" service has been a bloody fantastic idea anyway. So many extra things like BBC, Comedy Central, Hulu etc. Essentially paying to access "free" content, but it's hard to complain when you end up using it a whole bunch. :D
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Disco

Post by Disco » 15 Jan 2016, 12:10

I canned my Netflix sub because of the lack of content on the AU side of things, I understand why they don't have it here but I expect a lot of other people who currently use proxies and the like will do the same.
1 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 15 Jan 2016, 12:23

Interesting that they only say proxies and unblockers. I wonder if VPN will still work since it's technically neither.
0 x

Chucky

Post by Chucky » 15 Jan 2016, 12:25

If it happens I will also can my Netflix subscription as the Australian Library is just pathetic :(
Otto-matic Reiffel wrote: I wonder if VPN will still work since it's technically neither.
Netflix Will Block VPNs for Now. But Its Real Goal Is Global TV
http://www.wired.com/2016/01/netflix-wi ... global-tv/
Netflix To Block VPNs & Proxies in the ‘Coming Weeks’
https://vpncreative.net/2016/01/15/netf ... ing-weeks/

P.S, I see you got my news suggestion Johnny :D
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 15 Jan 2016, 12:27

I used Getflix for awhile and that opened up so much more than Netflix, it was really quite great! That said, I ended up deciding to live with what was on the AU Netflix and I've kinda just made myself forget there is a bigger better version out there.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 15 Jan 2016, 12:29

Sure this sucks, and it may impact me if/when I do decide I really want to watch something we don't have that I can't view via other means, but mostly I only make so much time to watch TV, and for that time Au Netflix has a lot of stuff I want to watch/am currently watching.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 15 Jan 2016, 12:31

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:Interesting that they only say proxies and unblockers. I wonder if VPN will still work since it's technically neither.
They do have unblockers in quotes, which would cover VPN. I would expect them to target VPN services specifically marketed for bypassing region restrictions, but probably not if you're using a service that's meant more for "business use" and you're subverting its true purpose.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 15 Jan 2016, 12:39

I was thinking unblockers in the DNS tricks kind of sense as that is what they are commonly referred to. Interesting the other articles Chucky posted say VPN even if the press release did not.

Personally unless it's a known VPN NAT address I can't think of a way they could prove a connection is going via a VPN or not. IIRC one of the Netflix guys said something very similar the other day and that it isn't worth their time to chase around VPN IP addresses that can be changed easily - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e28100804/
0 x

Chucky

Post by Chucky » 15 Jan 2016, 12:46

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:Personally unless it's a known VPN NAT address I can't think of a way they could prove a connection is going via a VPN or not.
I am not entirely sure, but on a Gizmodo article, someone replied mentioning that Hulu blocks VPN's and apparently it is annoying as hell....But as to how they do it I don't know sorry.

http://gizmodo.com/damn-netflix-is-crac ... 1752956270

....also it is funny as hell to see all the numbers for the varying Netflix Regions:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/01/netfl ... -compared/
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 15 Jan 2016, 13:40

In a press release sent out Thursday, Netflix’s vice president of content delivery architecture, David Fullagar, said that the company plans to eventually remove geographic restriction altogether, but that that wasn’t possible as of the moment.
Hey genius, hey about you lot get onto that *Before* you tackle the unblockers yeah?
This might just be enough to get me to cancel my subscription altogether and perhaps re-sub when the regional restrictions are actually gone, since the AU version is so crap and lacking as it stands.

Interesting about the lack of clarity regarding the difference between these extension things and proper VPNs and the like though, regarding the previous comment I can get and have been using Hulu here for quite some time now via Getflix. I do indeed have to wonder if there will still be workarounds for Netflix considering this.
0 x

Longflanks

Post by Longflanks » 15 Jan 2016, 13:55

Wont they have to get an account with every VPN provider on earth and then note and block every IP range they have?
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 15 Jan 2016, 13:58

Stoibs wrote:
In a press release sent out Thursday, Netflix’s vice president of content delivery architecture, David Fullagar, said that the company plans to eventually remove geographic restriction altogether, but that that wasn’t possible as of the moment.
Hey genius, hey about you lot get onto that *Before* you tackle the unblockers yeah?
That's a constant battle with rights holders, many of whom want to have separate agreements for separate regions or distribution channels, which is why you don't have access to all the things and need to use unblockers. It's not something they have under their direct control but they do actively work on it. The evidence is in Netflix continuing to expand into new regions - they negotiate deals each time to get as much content as they can, launch with what they can get, then use the new revenue to try and negotiate more/better deals, etc.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. :)
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 15 Jan 2016, 14:00

Cool, how about they change the monthly sub to about 1/5 of the current price then if that's all the content they are able to be currently offering in my region by comparison to the US?
1 x

Longflanks

Post by Longflanks » 15 Jan 2016, 14:07

Stoibs wrote:Cool, how about they change the monthly sub to about 1/5 of the current price then if that's all the content they are able to be currently offering in my region by comparison to the US?
Sounds fair to me
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 15 Jan 2016, 14:17

I might consider giving Netflix another go if they remove that geoblocker thing. Otherwise I think I'm still not that interested.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 15 Jan 2016, 16:32

Due to agreements with publishers they have to be seen to be doing something. There's always the chance their implementation could be half-arsed and doesn't really block much (not that they're allowed to say as much).

Best option for those subscribers who are upset is to wait until implementation. If your options for unrestricted content do end up blocked then drop the service.
0 x

Submariner

Post by Submariner » 15 Jan 2016, 16:39

Cat and mouse game :)
“We continue to rely on blacklists of VPN exit points maintained by companies that make it their job. Once [VPN providers] are on the blacklist, it’s trivial for them to move to a new IP address and evade.”

Of course, many proxy and VPN providers have customers that only buy their services for the unblocking abilities they provide, so there is a serious commercial interest for these companies to spend time outwitting Netflix.

Only time will tell whether they will be able to do so long term, but history suggests it won’t be an easily won battle for the video service. In the meantime collateral damage is also a possibility if Netflix block the wrong people, but the company feels that won’t happen.
https://torrentfreak.com/netflix-announ ... es-160114/
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 15 Jan 2016, 17:51

Stoibs wrote:
This might just be enough to get me to cancel my subscription altogether and perhaps re-sub when the regional restrictions are actually gone, since the AU version is so crap and lacking as it stands.

Interesting about the lack of clarity regarding the difference between these extension things and proper VPNs and the like though, regarding the previous comment I can get and have been using Hulu here for quite some time now via Getflix. I do indeed have to wonder if there will still be workarounds for Netflix considering this.
It's got nothing to do with Netflix, go blame rights holders. Write to have laws changed. Rally to protest poor licencing/copyright. Start a lobby group. You hold the power to make this world one that you like.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 15 Jan 2016, 18:11

Eh, been there done that. Was one of the people who wrote into that IT Aussie price gouging inquiry thing years ago and even got part of my submission into the document. Remember how that made an impact and totally changed everything for the better? Neither do I.
Activism and 'Sternly written letters' sound nice and uplifting in theory, but rarely change much.

I'm more interested to see what this does in regards to subscription numbers dropping across the board.
I straight up legitimately see no reason to keep my sub since 90% of my viewing is done from US/Canada/UK Netflix. If the content just simply isn't there and unavailable to me, then why would I keep paying $15 a month? Back to torrents it would be without blinking an eye. =(
0 x

HunterKiller

Post by HunterKiller » 16 Jan 2016, 20:28

I also agree with most people here, if they do block any VPN/unblockers then I to find it no reason to keep my sub, I have tried the AU service and it sucked balls and I will not continue the service if I were to go back to it.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 18 Jan 2016, 02:03

Matty wrote:
Stoibs wrote:

It's got nothing to do with Netflix, go blame rights holders. Write to have laws changed. Rally to protest poor licencing/copyright. Start a lobby group. You hold the power to make this world one that you like.

Buy an RU VPN and pirate like mad because its far easier and also because fuck rights holders ?

If rights holders want to make piracy the most appealing option then that's ok.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

Matty

Post by Matty » 19 Jan 2016, 22:25

Spooler wrote:
Matty wrote:
Stoibs wrote: Hey genius, hey about you lot get onto that *Before* you tackle the unblockers yeah?

Buy an RU VPN and pirate like mad because its far easier and also because fuck rights holders ?

If rights holders want to make piracy the most appealing option then that's ok.
And nothing changes.
1 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 20 Jan 2016, 01:05

The circle is complete :P
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

Chucky

Post by Chucky » 21 Jan 2016, 13:35

According to WP, FB and News Sites ( http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/home ... man3y.html ), the blocking has begun!

With that being said it doesn't seem to be affecting everyone, and most unblocking sites are slowly producing workarounds. If you happen to run into the issue and you are using Getflix, they have released an alternative US server (funnily enough called United States Aternative 1) for you to change to on their website that should resolve the issue in the short term.
0 x