What's Cookin' Good Lookin'?

"Would say maybe Arts/Crafts/Cooking/Gardening but then the forum title gets a bit long..."
CherryRed

What's Cookin' Good Lookin'?

Post by CherryRed » 11 Nov 2015, 20:42

The idea of this thread is NOT to just share a picture of your food (people hate that shit) but to also share the recipe/instructions on how to make it. It doesn't have to be complicated or gourmet, in fact, the simpler it is the more likely people will attempt it!

Here's one from me...

Bacon Wrapped Pesto Chicken

Serves: 2 people (just double quantities for 4)

Ingredients:
- Chicken breast
- Streaky bacon (the long, fatty ends)
- Pesto (Jar or fresh)
- Grated Cheese of your choice (recommend mozarella or pizza blend)
- Vegetables of your choice

Method:
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees
- Halve the chicken breast length-wise
- Cut a slit along the cente of each half-breast length-wise
- Spoon pesto into the slit
- Sprinkle chicken breast with cheese
- Wrap chicken breast in bacon (make sure the bacon 'joins' on the under-side of the chicken breast)
- Spray a baking tray with cooking spray
- Place chicken on tray with the "join" facing down (otherwise you'll lose your cheese)
- Bake for approx 35-40 mins
- Whilst your chicken is cooking, organise and cook your vegies

Notes:
We used half a chicken breast each, as we found a full chicken breast plus bacon/pesto/cheese was too much but if you prefer a big meal then you can use a whole breast per person. Apologies for not having exact quantities above, I made this up as I went along so I can't recall how much of each ingredient I used.

What I love:
It's a REALLY easy meal to make, but it looks like you went to a lot of effort. The chicken can be made ahead of time, wrapped in cling-film and stored in the fridge... so if you're having company over and you want to cook something yummy but you don't want to spend hours in the kitchen, this dish is sure to impress.

0 x

Sathias

Re: What's Cookin' Good Lookin'?

Post by Sathias » 11 Nov 2015, 21:10

Cooking is a bit of a hobby of mine so I'll probably use this thread a bit :) I took some homemade rissoles to a BBQ on the weekend and they liked them so much my friends wife asked me if she could marry me :lol:

500gm beef mince, not too lean
1 onion, finely diced
4 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs, more to pad them in after rolling
1 egg
1 tablespoon sauce, tomato, barbeque, whatever :)
1 teaspoon keens mustard powder
salt and pepper

Combine ingredients, mix well, make into balls, flatten them out a little then dip both sides in the breadcrumbs, then refrigerate. Simple as that :)
1 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Disco

Post by Disco » 11 Nov 2015, 21:11

I occasionally cook meat on the BBQ... >.>
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 11 Nov 2015, 21:37

My go to dish when the wife isn't home is poached eggs on toast, using smashed avocado as the "spread". I do make some good poached eggs. 99% of the time perfectly cooked and still runny inside. Just how myself and my family/friends actually like them, so quite handy.
1 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 13 Nov 2015, 09:03

My go to when cooking my own food is fried rice... I'm slowly getting better at it, and last night it was fantastic...

* Cooked the rice, then rinsed it and let it sit
* Cooked an egg in the wok and cut it up (well more like mashed in the end)
* Chucked some ham in (No bacon) and fried that a bit
* Threw the rice in (I cooked too much rice)
* Then added some soy sauce and some honey and sesame soy sauce

Turned out amazing, the honey and sesame sauce gave it a really good taste

Also I love Wok's to cook in, need to find more things I can cook in it...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Dinofreak

Post by Dinofreak » 13 Nov 2015, 09:43

I love making fried rice. I like to cook some diced chicken and spicy salami together and throw that in along with a good helping of mixed veggies (normally the frozen kind because I am lazy).
0 x
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 13 Nov 2015, 09:58

Fried rice is always an easy one to fall back on :) I also love roast dinners, they look complicated but they're actually SUPER easy once you get your timing right.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 13 Nov 2015, 11:12

Roast dinners are the bomb. Just throw everything in and walk away for a while
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 13 Nov 2015, 11:22

Sathias wrote:Cooking is a bit of a hobby of mine so I'll probably use this thread a bit :) I took some homemade rissoles to a BBQ on the weekend and they liked them so much my friends wife asked me if she could marry me :lol: <snip>
I hope you said yes!

Polygamy, Fuck Yeah!™ :twisted:

I like making a good solid crockpot... mmm stewy soupy goodness.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 13 Nov 2015, 11:31

kharis wrote:Roast dinners are the bomb. Just throw everything in and walk away for a while
True story: After we started dating, Disco told me he "hated" roast dinners. I spent some time wondering what the fuck was wrong with him. Then one day I cooked him a roast, and he loved it. Turns out his mother just cooks a cheap cut of meat to the point of it almost being leather, and pours instant gravy over the top. I cook a decent cut of herb & rosemary lamb, medium-rare and my gravy is made from the pan juices using the salted water that I cooked the greens in. Amazeballs. I even impress myself with the tastiness of it all :lol: Disco is now a roast-convert, turns out he'd just never had a good one :D
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 13 Nov 2015, 16:23

CherryRed wrote:
kharis wrote:Roast dinners are the bomb. Just throw everything in and walk away for a while
True story: After we started dating, Disco told me he "hated" roast dinners. I spent some time wondering what the fuck was wrong with him. Then one day I cooked him a roast, and he loved it. Turns out his mother just cooks a cheap cut of meat to the point of it almost being leather, and pours instant gravy over the top. I cook a decent cut of herb & rosemary lamb, medium-rare and my gravy is made from the pan juices using the salted water that I cooked the greens in. Amazeballs. I even impress myself with the tastiness of it all :lol: Disco is now a roast-convert, turns out he'd just never had a good one :D
I bought one of those round convection ovens from Good Guys and it is just amazing for roasts, especially roast pork. Makes the best crackling and the roast stays nice and moist in the middle. Combine that with a good remote meat thermometer and its the absolute bomb :)
Nitephyre wrote:
Sathias wrote:Cooking is a bit of a hobby of mine so I'll probably use this thread a bit :) I took some homemade rissoles to a BBQ on the weekend and they liked them so much my friends wife asked me if she could marry me :lol: <snip>
I hope you said yes!

Polygamy, Fuck Yeah!™ :twisted:

I like making a good solid crockpot... mmm stewy soupy goodness.
My mate replied "You can sleep with him but not marry him". I'm pretty sure he was joking :shock: :lol: And hell yes, I love my slow cooker. I combined my two favourite recipes, Slow Cooked "Chicken Fried" Steak with Beef Olives and they come out so tasty it's not funny. When I get time I'll chuck the recipe on this thread.
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 13 Nov 2015, 17:43

Girlfriend and I have been using a Weber Q more frequently now as the weather warms up. It's a little wanky like Apple and Nespresso with the accessories and marketing but damn it does a good roast/grill/bbq.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 14 Nov 2015, 11:35

CherryRed wrote:
Love at first roast? Lucky it wasn't a spit :twisted:
Sathias wrote:My mate replied "You can sleep with him but not marry him". I'm pretty sure he was joking :shock: :lol: And hell yes, I love my slow cooker. I combined my two favourite recipes, Slow Cooked "Chicken Fried" Steak with Beef Olives and they come out so tasty it's not funny. When I get time I'll chuck the recipe on this thread.
Hahaha o/\o Also, beef olives? I'm intrigued.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 17 Nov 2015, 23:34

A tasty puff pastry pizza that I had published in the mine site magazine about 5 years ago..

0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 18 Nov 2015, 00:00

Mmmmm I like pesto, with anything. Pity it blows through me like water through a fire hose.

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Girlfriend and I have been using a Weber Q more frequently now as the weather warms up. It's a little wanky like Apple and Nespresso with the accessories and marketing but damn it does a good roast/grill/bbq.

Can confirm, perfect pork roast/crackling erry time and it's the only way i can cook an edible steak.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 18 Nov 2015, 00:43

Nekosan wrote:Mmmmm I like pesto, with anything. Pity it blows through me like water through a fire hose.
Well, there's some mental imagery to help get me off to sleep...
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 21 Nov 2015, 10:57

Not the best pic as I mangled the egg a bit, but this is one of our regular weekend breakfasts, it's tasty and pretty healthy too... (and makes a mean easy dinner if you really cbf'd).

Usually a toasted slice of four seed loaf (today I just used some bread rolls that were left over) topped with a teaspoon of light cream cheese, 50g of smoked salmon and a runny egg. So filling, only takes a few minutes to make and all the ingredients half a long fridge-life (assuming you freeze the bread) so it's easy to always have these ingredients on hand :)

0 x

.♥. Cupcake .♥.

Post by .♥. Cupcake .♥. » 13 Dec 2015, 13:03

If anyone has good 'quick dinner' recipes, send them this way please... :D
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 13 Dec 2015, 16:24

Nitephyre wrote:Hahaha o/\o Also, beef olives? I'm intrigued.
To make beef olives you hammer out some schnitzel beef (uncrumbed) until it is really thin, put some pancetta on top, then in the middle goes a stuffing type mix (breadcrumbs, herbs, parmesan etc) then it gets rolled up with a toothpick through it. Bung that in the slow cooker with some nice sauce and it comes out brilliant. I'll see if I can find the recipe.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 13 Dec 2015, 17:37

Bought a cast Iron Pot a few years back which I still haven't used. Thinking of making some Gumbo Ya Ya sometime during the week with it:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/gumbo-ya-ya.aspx
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 01 Jan 2016, 15:37

Made an amazing pork roast last night, came out with perfect crackling and the inside was moist and juicy. We'd already had a barbie and everyone was stuffed, but it still disappeared in about 10 minutes flat :D I used Matt Preston's method he details here

http://www.taste.com.au/news+features/a ... tt+preston

After the preparation he details, 45 mins at 250 then about 5 hours at 120, perfection :)
1 x

Darius359au

Post by Darius359au » 25 Jan 2016, 12:47

Gave the new Slower/Pressure cooker a proper run for dinner lastnight and made these https://www.aperfectpantry.com.au/compo ... Itemid=136
The pork just fell apart when I shredded it ,had it in turkish rolls from bakers delight and topped with coleslaw.
0 x

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 20 Feb 2016, 01:16

not really a recipe but a different sort of steak cooking i do for a mix up.

cut fat off random steak fillet.
dice it up to about 3/4 inch chunketts
salt and pepper it (use a peppercorn grinder not that already done fine shit)
heat up pan like normal
add about a tablespoon and a half of butter
cook the chunks sorta like stir frying it.
when done tip the whole thing on your plate / salad / whatever along with the butter meat sauce pan leftovers
(insert some fancy french word here) and theres you popcorn steak chunks
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Mar 2016, 21:31

Finally made my gumbo from that recipe above. File powder is hard to get in Oz so I used Okra instead (a healthier option). The kind lady at the shop that I got the smoked chorizo from said use 500g of okra which was on the mark. Also couldn't add 8 cups of water to the pot... started with 4 and added another 2 cups as liquid evaporated.

My bro says it's the first thing I've made since a pie from Yr11/12 Home Economics that he's liked. Just as well, the recipe did taste pretty good.

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 13 Apr 2016, 00:02

this is a awesome dessert one for those with a slow cooker and like eating rice pudding

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235333/slo ... e-pudding/
0 x