The Untitled Knife Project

"Would say maybe Arts/Crafts/Cooking/Gardening but then the forum title gets a bit long..."
Disco

The Untitled Knife Project

Post by Disco » 17 Jul 2016, 19:14

So I had some bar stock sitting around and decided to have a crack at making my own knife.. started the project today and thought I'd post it here as I go.

I started off by having a bit of a sketch on the steel to work out a rough size and shape of the knife - turns out I'm really shit at drawing and ended up just sort of winging it

Used an angle grinder to cut the rough shape of the knife, it was a bit of a pain though and for the larger chunks I ended up drilling lots of small holes and grinding through those

After a hell of a lot of filing, I've got the rough shape I'm looking for, although I need to tidy it up, even up some things and also figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of the handle.

2 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Dinofreak

Re: The Untitled Knife Project

Post by Dinofreak » 18 Jul 2016, 11:04

Looking forward to see what it turns into. I've always wanted to have a go at some knife making but never found the time to do it.
0 x
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Disco

Post by Disco » 18 Jul 2016, 12:38

Dinofreak wrote:Looking forward to see what it turns into. I've always wanted to have a go at some knife making but never found the time to do it.
I may cock it up completely yet.. give it time :lol: I just wanted to have a crack, and so far I'm enjoying it, I'll try to keep using hand tools as much as possible rather than machinery. I know a number of guys who make knives and it's all done on machines, good on them but I want to put a bit more work into it.

Other than drawing a very rough idea of the shape of the knife, it's more or less just evolving out of the steel now rather than being cut straight and perfect, gives it a bit more character and soul I think. Still need to figure out what to do with the handle though, not sure how the end of that is going to work out.

This is a bit of a long term project, but I'll update as I go :)
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 18 Jul 2016, 16:50

havent done anything like that myself but as a self professed armchair knife maker i would round that end part of the heel is for a finger guard and bolste.r get a nice wood or lazy tennis handle wrap around cheap wood for handle. do a 1 1/2 or 2 inch double blade at the top tip, and if you got a standing drill press make a small blood groove down the middle.

thats what i would do if i had skill, energy, drive and a workshop
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 18 Jul 2016, 17:02

Lots of things to consider as I move forward, but I prefer knives without bolsters so I don't think I'll be putting one on this knife which also simplifies the process a bit too - although who knows what will happen at this stage a lot of things I'm just making up as I go, I feel like that's a better way.

There are heaps of good aussie timbers I can use for the handle, but haven't decided what yet.. once I get the profile finished, I'll start thinking about tempering and then worrying about the scales.

Definitely not going to have a blood groove :lol: I'd be interested to know how something like that is done with a drill press though?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 18 Jul 2016, 17:13

Disco wrote: Definitely not going to have a blood groove :lol: I'd be interested to know how something like that is done with a drill press though?
basically using the drill press like a small grinder and dropping it and dragging the metal along, gotta make sure theres a good amount of lube and the bit can handle it. also make sure the piece is not gonna catch and go flying so you have to try to lock it down.

Disco wrote: but I prefer knives without bolsters so I don't think I'll be putting one on this knife which also simplifies the process a bit too
what about filed thumb grove on top blade then? (dont know that actual name of it)
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 18 Jul 2016, 17:33

That's interesting, I'm more in the process of making a general purpose bushcraft/camp knife, so it wont need a blood groove and I don't think I'll go for a thumb groove either, but who knows! It's all still taking shape
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 18 Jul 2016, 19:04

NoobyMcNoobnoob wrote:
basically using the drill press like a small grinder and dropping it and dragging the metal along, gotta make sure theres a good amount of lube and the bit can handle it. also make sure the piece is not gonna catch and go flying so you have to try to lock it down.
ignore that if you are worried, and you should be, if i remember correctly now my uncle did this with a mill not press, it wouldnt off stopped him from doing it with a x - y adjustable vice for his press anyway, he would of went throguht a few drill bits though.

been a long time over 2 decades since i watch him do it sorry.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 18 Jul 2016, 19:28

Haha that's alright, I wouldn't even try it :D
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Darius359au

Post by Darius359au » 09 Aug 2016, 10:46

@Disco not sure what gear you've got but heres one way of grinding a Fuller
http://sword-site.com/thread/117/grind- ... word-knife

I use one of these to sharpen my swords http://www.hobbytools.com.au/benchtop-m ... mm-1-x-30/ you can take the guard off the top wheel for small radius grinds like Fullers and the belts are readily available.
0 x

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 10 Aug 2016, 01:38

0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 11 Aug 2016, 11:28

lol.
hows it coming along disco
0 x