What's the deal with protein?

"Would say maybe Arts/Crafts/Cooking/Gardening but then the forum title gets a bit long..."
Disco

What's the deal with protein?

Post by Disco » 03 Aug 2016, 12:13

I know there are a few fitness fanatics floating around the forum, so I'm hoping you can give me solid advice as every other thing I read on the internet seems to contradict everything else :roll:

Heading to the gym with a mate who is pretty into weightlifting and follows a very specialized diet that is way too complicated for me to even consider, but he like everyone other gym junkie chugs a protein shake after every session at the weights.

If I'm going to the gym and lifting a few times of the week, is it worth me also taking in additional protein? I'm certain I don't get a huge amount via my diet, so curious as to what you think as I've read everything from "don't bother" to "20-40g after a session makes no difference", to "you need X amount of protein per kg of bodyweight" and I really can't figure out where I stand on it.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Matty

Re: What's the deal with protein?

Post by Matty » 03 Aug 2016, 12:21

The post workout protein shake is how you show everyone how staunch you are.

But srsly, "you need protein for a proper diet in an active lifestyle". I wish I could give a better answer then that but when I looked into it some time ago I also go confused, so I too wish to see what people think on it.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Disco

Post by Disco » 03 Aug 2016, 12:34

Haha at least I'm not the only one who was left scratching their head
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Matty

Post by Matty » 03 Aug 2016, 12:35

Tbh, exercising was a lot more complicated than I though it would be.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Makena

Post by Makena » 03 Aug 2016, 12:47

When just starting out? Honestly no, I don't think you need to add protein, unless you're really not getting any in your diet (So I guess it depends how little you're actually eating? If you're eating 1-2 serves of a protein a day you might be ok)

That said though, it does somewhat depend why you're lifting weights, weight loss? General fitness? Strength gain? Protein makes you feel full for longer, so if you get hungry after a workout and eat whatever you can find, a protein shake may not be a terrible idea as it might prevent you from snacking.

I think initially, especially if just trying to start building the habit of going to the gym, don't over complicate it, and you'll still make huge gains in how much you can lift when you just start out anyway (noob gains are great)
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 03 Aug 2016, 13:09

You will get much better and sustainable results by changing your diet to include good quality lean protein than chugging down a protein shake. If you're already not having enough protein in your usual diet, a shake won't do diddly squat.

Most protein powders are chock full of artificial sugars and sweeteners. Something to keep in mind if your overall goal is losing fat.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 03 Aug 2016, 13:50

The science says extra protein (more than 1.2g/kg) in your diet doesn't make a difference for bulking up. You're body simply excretes the excess protein. It's even potentially counterproductive as high protein becomes a dependency and your body won't be as effective at extracting it from food.

After doing weights, having some protein is beneficial - up to 10g. But make sure to have carbs with this as the carbs act as a delivery system to the muscles.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 03 Aug 2016, 16:36

I think it's one of those things you need to start worrying about when it actually becomes a problem - like you're working your arse off and not getting any gains. Similar to taking vitamin supplements or whatnot. Sure you can do it, but unless you're having identifiably related problems why would you ever worry about it?
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 03 Aug 2016, 19:19

easp is a bodybuilder according to this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41&p=25440&hilit=of+yourself#p25440

Sure he might be able to offer suggestions.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 03 Aug 2016, 19:52

Hoping he might chime in, but his goals are very different to my own.. good tips here though so far :D
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Chooky

Post by Chooky » 12 Aug 2016, 22:04

Firstly, you don't need a protien shake directly after your workout if your goal isn't to gain strength or size. It helps, however while you're starting out, not needed.

Secondly, you need to eat, you need to make sure you are eating enough to sustain yourself, which means a healthy balance of Protien, Carbs and Fats.
this means measuring what you eat using an App, like myfitnesspal, and tracking and recording your meals.
sounds like hard work it isn't and getting into the routine of doing so will only simplify your weight loss as you become more aware of what you're doing.
you should aim for
40% carbs
30% protien
30% fat

thirdly, record everything. that morning coffee, that afternoon biscuit everything.

fourthly, weigh yourself or don't. however if you choose to do so, do it under the same conditions, once a week only. this means if you decide tomorrow to jump on the scales first thing in the morning after your shower post dump, thats your benchmark. if next weekend rolls around and you're not under the same conditions, don't weigh yourself you can easily add kilos and find yourself demotivated.

fifthly... what you do at the gym is important too. you need to learn some compound movements. These will recruit the most amount of muscle and use more of your energy stores up. avoid the machines at all cost.

sixthly. if your gym has a rowing machine, get used to that fucker. you should finish your workouts with a row, its a huge metabolism booster that will keep your body burning energy stores for hours after. Interval sprints or just a long row.
2000m aim for sub 10-11mins. an olympic rower will do it in 7:09.
500m sprint aim for sub 2:45-3:00
intervals your own judgement here, aim for 2000m but row it in 8 big pulls, 8 slower.

finally. Deadlift and Squat. Learn them, pay a PT in the gym and be taught how to do both of these movements safely. Then embrace them and simply warm up ,then do 5x5 to keep it simple. the last rep should be tough, not i think i peed myself tough, but tough. if it isn't add more weight.
if you're going 3 times a week here is what you do.

week A & C
Mon-deadlift
Wed-Squat
Fri-deadlift
week B & D
Mon-squat
wed-deadlift
fri-squat

thats entirely more advice than you asked for and i got really ranty, feel free to disregard if you choose to. If not its a good start for you.
happy to discuss further if you want to though.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 13 Aug 2016, 16:41

Chooky wrote:sixthly. if your gym has a rowing machine, get used to that fucker. you should finish your workouts with a row, its a huge metabolism booster that will keep your body burning energy stores for hours after. Interval sprints or just a long row.
intervals your own judgement here, aim for 2000m but row it in 8 big pulls, 8 slower.
What setting is the rowing machine on for that? When I read the instructions on the rowing machine at the gym, it said 3 is the equivalent of rowing on the water. So that's what I've been using. Yet those times seem kind of slow to me. Today, for example, first time rowing in months, and did 2259m in the 10:00 (2:15/500m) I rowed.
0 x

Chooky

Post by Chooky » 13 Aug 2016, 17:22

storm84 wrote:
Chooky wrote:sixthly. if your gym has a rowing machine, get used to that fucker. you should finish your workouts with a row, its a huge metabolism booster that will keep your body burning energy stores for hours after. Interval sprints or just a long row.
What setting is the rowing machine on for that? When I read the instructions on the rowing machine at the gym, it said 3 is the equivalent of rowing on the water. So that's what I've been using. Yet those times seem kind of slow to me. Today, for example, first time rowing in months, and did 2259m in the 10:00 (2:15/500m) I rowed.
The number on the side is the Damper.
This impedes the ability for the wheel inside the housing the spin freely after you have executed a stroke and also how much resistance there is applied to every stroke.

The less the damping the less further you will go for every stroke on the machine.
The more damping the further you will go at much greater effort.
99% of people should use a damper setting of between 5-8.
I personally use 6 and a bit as I find that this is both the most taxing but also the most comfortable to use for long distances.

The times I put up there are for someone who hasn't used a rowing machine before, if you're comfortable in using one effectively and with an efficient stroke rate you should easily expect to go faster
1 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 13 Aug 2016, 18:17

Most of this is confusing :lol:
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

PirateEggs

Post by PirateEggs » 19 Aug 2016, 19:17

Here's a good video to explain protein, mostly general info, not necessarily about fitness though, there's a bit about that at 2:35 which will explain. I recommend to watch the whole video though. :)

You don't need to worry about your macros (amounts of fats, carbs, and proteins) unless you're going for aesthetics. Just get your caloric intake under control if you're trying to gain or lose weight, and focus on getting your lifestyle sorted out first before getting into that nitty-gritty shit.
Shakes and things are usually pretty high in calories because they're mostly used for bulking, so if you're using them to supplement your protein intake make sure you account for those calories. The nutritional information for those is based on taking with water, most people use milk though.
0 x
ImageImage

Kinky Kel

Post by Kinky Kel » 08 Sep 2016, 14:26

Drinking water is also very good for weight loss plus overall well being. it's approximately 1L for every 25 kg per day. That's fairly rough but none the less a good guide.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 08 Sep 2016, 15:38

When I read the thread title I pictured a Seinfeld episode where he got onto the Keto diet :P
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite