All things RC

"Would say maybe Arts/Crafts/Cooking/Gardening but then the forum title gets a bit long..."
Mini

All things RC

Post by Mini » 09 Jan 2016, 16:02

Since I got a couple of RC things for Christmas, I thought we should have a thread around these parts with what everyone has and doe with them :)

Apologies for crappy phone quality pictures for my below quad copter and helicopter.
Neither is huge, and both are fairly cheap, but a damn lot of fun to be had with them... I'm still learning how to control them nicely.
Going to see if the quadcopter is strong enough to lift the go pro, but getting it centered will be almost impossible to keep it stable.

0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Punkley
Site Admin

Re: All things RC

Post by Punkley » 09 Jan 2016, 20:51

If you asked Dotarray she might tell you I have about 3 quads, a chopper, a plane, and 7 gliders...

but she might be telling fibs.....or not
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 09 Jan 2016, 21:40

I'm so glad you started this thread Mini! When I looked over GON just before it closed down one of the most interesting threads there was the R/C one, and it has some great photos and videos. (Awesome car shots by Vital, and a very cool homemade drone by v4moose are a couple of things that stand out in my memory.) I don;t have any R/C gear at the moment but I do enjoy hearing about it and seeing what others are doing.
0 x

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 09 Jan 2016, 23:23

Ah cool, a thread that I can post in. I won't go silly though. Maybe just one at a time or something :)

This is my heli of choice these days. A WL Toys - V911. It looks like a toy-grade RC, but these are actually much closer to hobby-grade as they can be taken apart and modified to some extent. Or if a motor burns out, you can replace it easily because it hasn't been glued in place. It only has one set of rotors, so it's a fixed-pitch heli, making it slightly more difficult to handle than a coaxial (twin set of counter-rotating blades) but easier than a 'collective-pitch' heli which is where you get all that crazy aerobatic flying. If anything, the V911 is probably more like a coaxial than other fixed-pitch heli's.....it's that easy to fly.

At only $50 online (although I think Jaycar sell these for about $70) I highly recommend this one to anyone who has already flown a coaxial for a bit and wants to take a tiny step up. It comes with 2 batteries, spare blades and a usb charger that does 2 at once. This one has been going for about 2 years so far without any breakages. I haven't even touched the spare blades that came with it yet and it's not like I haven't crashed into things.

Oh yeah, a tip for Mini. You'll want to tighten up those blade-grips a tad on the coaxial. Just loose enough that they still move easily by hand, but tight enough that they don't slip when just holding the heli sideways for example. Or at least all the same tightness. It'll help with balance and reduce vibration etc.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 09 Jan 2016, 23:42

I kinda get what you are saying there Vital, but for now I'm not fiddling with them too much.
Still learning to fly them though. Problem is that the kids want to fly them all the time, and I don't want them completely destroyed from them turning the power off at roof height...

Also did my first outside flight last night... The Quad has lights under it, so thought I would see what they look like, GoPro couldn't quite pick enough up though to make it look nice. Did get a bit more of a hang of it while flying outside, bit more room to maneuver it
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 10 Jan 2016, 13:06

I'm surprised they are that cheap, Vital. Going to have a bit of a google later and look for myself. And please do post more of your awesome r/c car "action" shots that you take!
0 x

TurboTactic

Post by TurboTactic » 19 Jan 2016, 00:07

My first quad is the Syma X5C

But I am currently building my first FPV racing quad - yet to purchase my FPV screen, camera and video-tx.

Specs:
Tx - FrSky 2.4G ACCST Taranis X9D Plus
Frame - Armattan FPV Rev2 Tilt (333 arms)
Flight Controller - Full Naze 32 Flight Controller
Rx - X8R Receiver
ESC - Afro ESC 30Amp w/ SimonK Firmware
Motor - DYS D2822 2282 1800KV Brushess Motor
Props - Turnigy Slowfly Propeller 8x4.5

The purpose was to be big enough to haul a GoPro Hero 4 with gimbal but also allow for FPV racing upgrade and still have the speed. Down the track I will buy the 453 arms and bigger props and motors so I can make it a slow flier as needed.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 19 Jan 2016, 07:26

TurboTactic wrote:My first quad is the Syma X5C
That's what I have...great fun watching the kids chasing at around outside.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 19 Jan 2016, 08:04

If you don't mind me asking...
What do they set you back to buy all the parts?
I would love to buy one for racing...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 19 Jan 2016, 08:44

Mini wrote:If you don't mind me asking...
What do they set you back to buy all the parts?
I would love to buy one for racing...
Racing drones are pretty pricey - starting at around 500 for the drone itself - about $750+ for drone, remote, etc.

If you're a beginner to drones, my recommendation is this;
http://www.banggood.com/New-Version-Upg ... 71838.html

learn the mechanics etc of flying - FPV is next level.

I'm looking to get in to racing - and that's the advice I've been given haha.
Buy the above along with;
http://www.banggood.com/X6A-380mAh-Batt ... 76993.html
gives you around 13mins fly time, the stock battery gives about 9, the 500mAH are apparently a little too big and heavy for the X4 V2
it doesn't sound like its a lot of extra time, but it does make the difference and you carry your extra batteries so you can cycle through them.
and this
http://www.banggood.com/Upgraded-Hubsan ... 81700.html
to protect your blades.

Otherwise, if you want a good indoor/outdoor one;
http://www.banggood.com/JJRC-H8D-FPV-He ... 74875.html

Is another good beginner FPV real time drone.

Unfortunately I bought the Syma X5SW which doesn't hold up if it's a little windy. Seems to get carried with the wind easy.
Last edited by Dexterians on 19 Jan 2016, 09:17, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 19 Jan 2016, 08:51

I have the quad in the first post, which I need to fly some more... only problem is that th kids always want to fly them as well...
I need to get a couple of smaller cheaper ones for them, that way we can all fly something
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 19 Jan 2016, 08:54

Do you want replaceable batteries, or one off USB charging - where you charge the drone rather than a battery?
I prefer battery as you get more "play time" - and that's why the Hubson X4 V2 is a good recommendation for small and sturdy and lets you swap batteries.

Any smaller and then you're charging your drone more than you are playing, and those little drones cost <$50
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 19 Jan 2016, 08:59

Once I get a bit of experience flying - and a bit of money under my belt... this is one of the drones I'm looking at;

http://www.helipal.com/storm-racing-dro ... ype-a.html

or the Walkera's.
0 x

TurboTactic

Post by TurboTactic » 19 Jan 2016, 09:24

I bought the Armattan frame because it comes with a LIFETIME (yes lifetime) guarantee that they won't break. If they do you send the creator a photo and he sends a new frame. But it cost a little more than normal.

The above specced quad has cost about $890 so far. :-o
0 x

TurboTactic

Post by TurboTactic » 19 Jan 2016, 09:29

Mini wrote:I have the quad in the first post, which I need to fly some more... only problem is that th kids always want to fly them as well...
I need to get a couple of smaller cheaper ones for them, that way we can all fly something
Go onto bangoood and get one of that 5 battery packs with the 5 battery charger usb connector. Then you all get a go. :)
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 19 Jan 2016, 09:30

TurboTactic wrote:I bought the Armattan frame because it comes with a LIFETIME (yes lifetime) guarantee that they won't break. If they do you send the creator a photo and he sends a new frame. But it cost a little more than normal.

The above specced quad has cost about $890 so far. :-o
alas why I want to get some experience flying before I invest that much money haha.
1 x

TurboTactic

Post by TurboTactic » 19 Jan 2016, 09:31

Dexterians wrote:
Mini wrote:Unfortunately I bought the Syma X5SW which doesn't hold up if it's a little windy. Seems to get carried with the wind easy.
It does, it is a very light quad but I seem to be able to manage light winds fine.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 19 Jan 2016, 09:33

TurboTactic wrote:
Dexterians wrote:
Mini wrote:Unfortunately I bought the Syma X5SW which doesn't hold up if it's a little windy. Seems to get carried with the wind easy.
It does, it is a very light quad but I seem to be able to manage light winds fine.
Yeah - it was a gift so I can't complain haha.

After doing research I found this is the better alternative to the X5SW;
http://www.banggood.com/JJRC-H8D-FPV-He ... 74875.html
and apparently handles wind a lot better.

I wonder if there's a way to mod the X5SW to handle in wind a little better?
Would be pointless to buy the H8D now that I have the X5SW.
0 x

TurboTactic

Post by TurboTactic » 19 Jan 2016, 20:43

To be honest, with all the quads I have seen at RC groups. Correct me if I am wrong here Punkley. But it appears motor and weight are the main contributors to fighting wind.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 21 Jan 2016, 06:21

I managed to tweak my X5SW to handle in wind better. Am enjoying it more now.

Also picked up a Hubsan H107D to muck around inside with.
0 x

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 21 Jan 2016, 11:26

After losing a 400 sized heli to the sky, I switched to cars, or more specifically offroad cars like the Traxxas Slash (not a great car for racing but designed to replicate the handling of the full sized versions). I had a few of them over the years along with the 1/5th scale HPI Baja Super 5 Flux which is quite literally twice the size of the others.

Painting the bodies is always fun (yes I love Lotus)

And this is what they look like under the shell....

But at the moment, I'm racing this one.....

0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 21 Jan 2016, 12:49

Nice man!

Yeah I've been thinking about getting in to cars - particularly offroad - more diversity with where you can drive.. and you can't lose them in a tree or in the sky like you can helis and drones haha.

My dad is looking at the Traxxas Maxx
0 x