Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
DarkMellie

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by DarkMellie » 27 Jan 2018, 15:54

The dark isn't actually bad although the game feels like it... the real dangers are 500+ meters past your pod in any direction.

Definitely worth building the seaglide and a torch and then you never have to slow down (although night can initially be a good time to organise your storage containers and understand what bits and pieces you need in order to craft your next thing.

Gorgeous game though, hey!
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 27 Jan 2018, 16:09

Between people talking Subnautica up here and Wyld currently streaming it a lot, decided to reinstall and give it another go. Might even try it in VR :)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

kharis

Post by kharis » 27 Jan 2018, 16:29

Yeah I blame wyld and bajo. Fixed the aurora and found a place with lots of shale so I think it’s time to start getting scary
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 27 Jan 2018, 16:55

You guys are horrible - I've been trying not to think about Subnautica because of my backlog but everyone is raving about it! :crazy:

I know it's good and I know I'll like it so I just have one question. Is it good enough that I should stop my backlog and buy it without waiting for a sale???

I feel like I'm missing out on the fun right now. :)
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 27 Jan 2018, 16:57

Apparently creepweed forests are super scary in VR... seems the perfect game for that kind of view, too.

Started up on PC, forgot how easy the start is nowadays... had the seamoth within 15 minutes, headed out to the floating island to scan the various rooms you can get from there, went back to where I'd parked... and it's now still in one piece but embedded within the ground so I can't even see it.

Sigh.

Runs oh so silkily smooth on PC too which is nice.

EDIT: Ken... yes. Absolutely what you should be playing this week, you will not regret grabbing it.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 27 Jan 2018, 17:22

Kendrite wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 16:55
You guys are horrible - I've been trying not to think about Subnautica because of my backlog but everyone is raving about it! :crazy:

I know it's good and I know I'll like it so I just have one question. Is it good enough that I should stop my backlog and buy it without waiting for a sale???

I feel like I'm missing out on the fun right now. :)
submit to the FOMO
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 27 Jan 2018, 17:26

Steep: Road to the Olympics is some good dlc. adds structured competition to the game and it is pretty challenging, did about 3 hours this arvo and I'm exhausted lol.
did manage a bronze medal in the Super G and they played the Aussie anthem which I sang, I'm guessing they'll mail out the medal.. perhaps not :)

the dlc adds Asia to the mountains and takes your character across to the new comps and plenty of new content on the new massif.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 27 Jan 2018, 18:13

I’ll never sell Steep but you’re right... it’s a tiring game.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 27 Jan 2018, 18:36

Subnautica - I bought it.

Just to clarify you're all playing on Survival right?
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 27 Jan 2018, 18:46

i believe so, i'm doing a story run through then will probably fire up creative and build a base that covers the entire planet :)
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 27 Jan 2018, 18:56

Darius359au wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 14:33
Mini wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 18:35
Farming Simulator is evil... lost 5 hours straight to it last night, and will be more tonight.
Having great fun slowly building the farm up and buying bigger and better machinery. Weirdly relaxing to finish a night of gaming before bed
I spend too much time on FS2017 ,(then again FS2011's still my highest houred game on steam with around 750... dont want to know hour many hour's combined in 13 ,15 and 17 :( )
Well if you ever feel like jumping in send me a message, happy to have another person to roll the tractors and ute onto their roof's...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 27 Jan 2018, 18:59

brimlad wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 17:26
Steep: Road to the Olympics is some good dlc. adds structured competition to the game and it is pretty challenging, did about 3 hours this arvo and I'm exhausted lol.
did manage a bronze medal in the Super G and they played the Aussie anthem which I sang, I'm guessing they'll mail out the medal.. perhaps not :)

the dlc adds Asia to the mountains and takes your character across to the new comps and plenty of new content on the new massif.
Someone needs to make a VR snowboarding game, would be awesome :)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Disco

Post by Disco » 27 Jan 2018, 22:25

Kendrite wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 18:36

Um I'm trying the game where you don't need to worry about food/drink
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 27 Jan 2018, 22:54

Kendrite wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 18:36

EDIT: Same as Disco... I play on Freedom.. no need for food and drink that way because NO survival game yet has that tweaked correctly.

Good night tonight, can finally build the Cyclops (just gathering parts for it) and have discovered new items down around the 300 meter level which is opening up more complex stuff to build (including the modification station... I have now have the ultra air-tank and ultra-glide fins). The Rebreather is also a vital piece of kit because it eliminates the extra oxygen-draw when you're out of your craft at anything greater than 100 meters.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 28 Jan 2018, 07:29

Sathias wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 18:59
brimlad wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 17:26

Someone needs to make a VR snowboarding game, would be awesome :)
you'd want a bucket near by, doing a 1080 on the halfpipe would be a real test, it's bad enough in first person view in VR it would be insane. The downhill events, slopestyle and general skiing/snowboarding would be okay but the halfpipe and bigair that would be crazy but a fun crazy :)
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 28 Jan 2018, 10:27

Anyone else prefer to just sit on the roof of the ship thing and wait for the sun to come up?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

kharis

Post by kharis » 28 Jan 2018, 10:30

Disco wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 10:27
Anyone else prefer to just sit on the roof of the ship thing and wait for the sun to come up?
yeah it is quite pretty :)
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 28 Jan 2018, 10:44

I'm getting really sick of the irritating little things that explode on you
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 28 Jan 2018, 11:17

Disco wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 10:44
Make sure to grab the cave sulfur from where they hatched out of!
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 28 Jan 2018, 11:26

DarkMellie wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 11:17
Disco wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 10:44
Make sure to grab the cave sulfur from where they hatched out of!
Oh is that where the cave sulfur comes from, I haven't had much of that yet, already having to build lockers to put stuff in as I'm collecting it way faster than I'm using it at the moment
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 28 Jan 2018, 13:35

General advice from me for new players is;

Lots of spoilers in respect to what might be on the map, as well as what creatures you might encounter. You can always just explore but if I really want everyone to experience just enough cool stuff to drag them into late game...

* play in freedom mode - inventory management isn't great in this game so to hell with having to carry water and food
* very near your starting area is a long underwater coral tube just FILLED with copper, titanium and quartz (and cave sulphur... you did grab the medpack from your survival pod I hope?)
* grab 4 acid pods (the glowy purple things on the sea floor)
* nearby is a forest of creepweed. Ignore the sharks and grab a bunch of the yellow pods to turn into silicone rubber and lubricant (you'll need the lubricant to make your seaglide)

You should now have enough materials to;
* create a knife
* create some batteries
* create the repair tool
* create a scanner
* create swim fins
* create an oxygen tank (this is three titanium so could be the first thing you craft, letting you stay underwater for longer and meaning you can do that first massive coral tube in one run)

Now you can;
* head out to nearby wreckage sites and look for things to scan - just do this in increasing circles around your starting area but not getting too close to the Aurora's wreck (which isn't dangerous until it explodes and irradiates the nearby water - also watch out for reaper leviathans to the rear and front of the ship). As you visit these and any other crashed survival pods, you'll see an oblong white glowing thing... grab these as they give you new tech to build. Larger wreck sites have internal parts as well, some of them gated until you can bring a laser cutter.
* once you've scanned the two parts, create a seaglide
* the general gist of the game is that as you can go deeper in the water, you'll find more complex stuff to scan, so with the help of the seaglide you'll soon find parts for the mobile ship station that lets ou then build the seamoth (5 parts in total for these two things).

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Aurora's bow points to the north, hence the stern is south and your pod is to the west.

* head south-south-east for about 1000m from your lifepod, you will find the floating island. Walk onto the island and to your left and right, atop hills (and one in a valley) you'll find a bunch of rooms that you need to scan (multipurpose room, observatory, bulkhead and more). Once done, head back to the beach or drop off the side of the island if safe, on the rear-left of the island (the south-eastern corner) you will find parts for the moonpool.

* if you've been hitting up all the wreckage points you should now have your laser cutter, maybe the stasis rifle as well as the habitat builder

* the next step might be to build a base.. you could do it in the starting shallows, or you could head 1000+ meters out from your pod and build it deep underwater
* you definitely want to approach the Aurora once you have the radiation-proof suit. In there you'll find depth modules for the Seamoth (extending its range) and an absolute bucketload of other stuff... but you'll need the propulsion cannon at a bare minimum.

* you could also ignore the moonpool and floating island and instead head further west from your ship (I think up to 700 meters) and then scour for wrecks in a north-south line, this should give you the parts to the Seamoth which will make your trip to the islands and your trip to your base station much easier... just be warned, if you go too far east you start to see super big scary shark things, and too far north you'll get void creatures and the spooky massive spider thing).
===================

For me right now, I know about an abandoned base that's maybe 800+ meters down which is WAY beyond my capability to travel... that's my next goal after building the Cyclops (and the cyclops' additional systems just to make sure I don't wreck it).

===================

Back onto space games, my favourite setting for any type of game ever;

Stellaris - latest additions of world-crackers and shifting early game to hyperspace travel only, Stellaris feels like its finally reached its peak.

Endless Space 2 - still better looking and more thematically interesting to me... love everything about this game but especially the shipbuilding options.

Astroneer - if you haven't tried this, it's a beautifully peaceful game with a gorgeous art style and some suitably complex systems you need to learn in order to survive the harsh conditions. Recommend some Youtube watching for this one at least (IGP does a great series on it).

Stationeers - this thing makes Space Engineers look like fake lego. Super complex, I struggle with accomplishing even the simplest things thanks to its two-handed holding system... so therefore I'm definitely keen to keep learning. Again, recommend some lets plays on this one.

...anyone have any thoughts on the above from their own playing or watching?
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 28 Jan 2018, 20:04

Finally got around to play a little Subnautica - hard to find time with school holidays and watching the tennis. Having said that it is really good.

Spoilers?:

I'm not very far in and haven't read much but have managed to craft some flippers, an oxygen tank, a scanner, flashlight and repair tool. Also an oxygen pump thing with pipes that send oxygen down to the ocean but I think I've lost it. Fixed my little pod up and the big ship has just exploded.

Do you all just randomly pick stuff up with the hope of crafting something or set out with a plan and just collect what you need? I suspect the later - and that's what I need to start doing.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 28 Jan 2018, 20:41

Kendrite, if you read the hidden bit from me above, you'll find the general path to follow.

Early start without spoilers;

* very near your starting area is a long underwater coral tube just FILLED with copper, titanium and quartz (and cave sulphur... you did grab the medpack from your survival pod I hope?)
* grab 4 acid pods (the glowy purple things on the sea floor)
* nearby is a forest of creepweed. Ignore the sharks and grab a bunch of the yellow pods to turn into silicone rubber and lubricant (you'll need the lubricant to make your seaglide)

You should now have enough materials to;
* create a knife
* create some batteries
* create the repair tool
* create a scanner
* create swim fins
* create an oxygen tank (this is three titanium so could be the first thing you craft, letting you stay underwater for longer and meaning you can do that first massive coral tube in one run)

Your main goal from here is to go around to all the salvage spots (ripped off parts of the Aurora) and scan items. Each item has a certain number of times it needs to be scanned, after which you can build it.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 28 Jan 2018, 21:05

I hadn't seen your post but I've crafted all those things - just by luck.

Tennis finishes tonight and kids go back to school on Tuesday so hopefully by Wednesday I'll by king of the Subnautica ocean (or at least get to upgrade my flippers). :lol:
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 29 Jan 2018, 10:17

I reinstalled Wolf 2 on the weekend with the intention of getting to it over the next couple of weeks.

I ended up playing 9 hours over Sunday and then suddenly it ended. I didn't do much side stuff, but it felt a bit shorter than I was expecting. Absolutely amazing story moments and lots of fun having it on easy mode and just mincing nazis.
0 x