Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
DarkMellie

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by DarkMellie » 15 May 2018, 23:32

Play as Scav every time the timer resets. Haul arse to the exit. That's the easiest way to stock up on gear.

As a player, make a beeline for any exit you know of and loot scav bodies on the way. Just rinse and repeat these two actions to start stocking up.

But yeah, brutally difficult game. I watch streams of people playing in full armour with sweet weapons and can't fathom A) getting that gear and then B) risking it.

For me, it's all Battletech. Completed the first major story mission tonight to free the Argos dropship. 40 rounds, nearly two hours (largely due to how it animates the battle). It all went strongly, almost surgically, right up until the last battle where I stupidly left my Shadowhawk out in the open and he just took a whaling from small-arms fire until they focused his left arm right-the-fuck-off. Immediately after that happened, the 'boss' spawns in in his own Shadowhawk along with a Quickdraw... easily the biggest mech I've gone up against.

The boss is easy, with plenty of morale to spare it took just three called-shots to the center-torso for him to fall over and die... but by this point I'm down to two mechs left... my Jenner and my Vindicator. 10 more turns is what it took me to get this bastard down and in return I'm left with four heaps of scrap metal.

The mission pays $1.25M which is the largest amount by FAR that you can receive in the early game. I then have to recruit two new pilots at $100k+, then a further $660k+ for repairs and medical costs. Now I need to win the next mission to max out my cash to stay afloat, hoping desperately that I don't incur further repairs that I just can't afford.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 16 May 2018, 09:51

You almost make me want to play it Mellie, shame games like this don't have co-op.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 16 May 2018, 23:32

It's a special talent of mine :D

What a night! With a bunch more mercenary contracts under my belt, I've got clear air for expenses... but it's really how I'm approaching missions now that makes all the difference.

I'm running a solid lance now, a Shadow Hawk, Vindicator, Centurion and Blackjack... closing in on nearly 200 tonnes of death-dealing robotics. My Centurion is my long-range guy, rocking LRM 20s, a medium laser and an AC/5; he can reach out and touch most mechs (once sensor-locked) before they know I'm there. The Blackjack is my favourite, I've got so much weaponry stacked on him he can do several hundred points of damage and is generally my death-dealer for called-shots.

The Vindicator is a bit underpowered to be honest with a medium laser, an ac/5... but most importantly a PPC. The PPC is the plasma cannon that can seriously fuck shit up and is responsible for many lost limbs. The Shadow Hawk is my shotgun, he's got a bonus to melee hits that knock the enemy back a turn, and he carries enough rockets and lasers to put some hurt on the enemy while he gobbles up the range.

So, that's my lance, Infinis Regis... and tonight they took on the fourth major story mission. I was quite worried, it was a two-skull mission so I knew there'd be some heavy mechs and heavy support vehicles but holy mother of god, jump jets saved the day. The mission opens up with a split-road, with both avenues lined with enemy turrets. Jump-jetting to the hill in the middle, we were able to destroy the generators, immediately incapacitating their defense. From there it was a simple job of whittling away at the opening force of heavy support vehicles (tanks, lurmboats, high armour but light on weapons except for the two vehicles carrying their own PPCs). Had I travelled down the side roads I'd be taking damage when working my way back up the hill to hit the generators... and thanks to the increased range in my pilot skills, I could take out the second bank of generators without being touched.

Here's the biggest change for me though... actually paying attention to hit percentages, taking time to plan the move, and taking time to position the mech such that any existing damage is on the other side of the enemy's reach. It's all communicated on the screen but doesn't easily draw your eye... once you know where to look though, you can read the play before you make it. We took very little damage on the way through their phalanx, then jump-jetted over the Welder Prison walls.

Inside, four big motherfucking mechs... who I gobbled like candy. The Trebuchet went first, focusing down his arms until I'd critted all but a medium laser, effectively neutering his threat. Then I it was a Jagermech, a Hunchback and a Centurion, but same deal again... jump jet to position, let loose with the highest 'to hit' weapons and focus down their weaponry (or ammo stores for catastrophic effect).

Here's the Jagermech, you can see his leg has had its inner workings expose and is ready to pop, I've destroyed his AC/2 and AC/5... but he has another of each of those and two lasers left. That's a nasty target... but of course I'm using my blackjack and look at all that glorious damage I'm about to do to him.

This is the Centurion... iirc, this was a crit to his right-torso which set off his LRM ammo that was stored in there... this blew his arm off and ruptured his torso. Then one of my blasts sheared off the other side as well. Fucking brilliant!

After all that effort (and a completely unexpected twist to the story), I had very little damage... this is about 10 days repairs in total...

I'd chosen to accept nothing but salvage for this mission as I figured there'd be some sweet loot and I wasn't wrong! A final piece for a new Jenner, parts for the Centurion, Jagermech and Trebuchet, two AC/5's, a PPC, a few other weapons and some ammo (super useful because weapons are destroyed if the body part they are attached to is destroyed... and that happens frequently)...

Thanks to the story twist, I was finally made commander of the Argo, a huge craft you rescue in an earlier storyline mission...

Then, for a mere $1M c-bills I've built a second mech-bay (allowing me to host up to 10 mechs to configure depending on the mission) and will slowly expand it over the next few missions...

I just fucking love this game, what a masterpiece.
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 17 May 2018, 17:27

man, i wish i had some spare cash, id get it now.
instead its on my wishlist for its eventual sale day.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 17 May 2018, 22:04

It's so good :D

Did a two and a half skull mission just now and went for max salvage. Lots of medium mechs, LOTS of parts... I've now built 5 mechs from salvage and they sell for a pretty penny. If you pick this game up, go for money in the first few missions just to pay the bills (as you'll spend a lot of time repairing and healing)... but once you start cake-walking battles, crank full salvage... a good medium mech might sell for a few hundred thousand more than the monetary reward.

Also got this bastard with the first shot... smeared the pilot across his seat-leather...

Finding most missions I come out of with just a few weapons knocked out or an arm here or there... still not cranking as much cash as I'd like but yeah... it gets easier!
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 17 May 2018, 22:15

I bought it and haven't even played it yet :? Might have to change that on the weekend ;)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Darius359au

Post by Darius359au » 18 May 2018, 10:38

One thing I like about Battletech is the pre-mission intel - you never have perfect intel about what your facing ,it's just best guess from the available information! ,get's a little hairy when you go in with a lance of medium's expecting the same or vehicles and there's some heavy's in the mix or schreck's and demolishers... :(
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 18 May 2018, 12:09

Yes! I've read and re-read the briefings trying to anticipate the enemy forces. I also see a lot of complaints about particular mission types but so far, the only ones that bug me are convoy missions as I've had a few starting spawns that made it very costly to push up to the convoy route and destroy them... it meant taking extra hits as I didn't have time to put Bulwark/Guarded to use and had to just run in.

Discovered this morning that the reason why there's sometimes more salvage for a particular mech type comes down to how you destroy them. Demolish a mech via their centre-torso and you'll only get one piece of salvage. Destroy their legs and you'll get two pieces of salvage. Kill the pilot and you'll get all three pieces!! Most of my mission focus now is on salvage where it can be (usually you have to be in control in order to have the time to delicately dismantle the enemy... many battles however turn into a race to silence their weapons before you lose a crew member). Once you crank salvage as the mission-payable, you also pick up a lot of extra pieces... sometimes you're blessed with extra chassis' (one mission I could only select 2 mech bits but got 4 in the randomised outcome), but also stacking up a huge array of PPCs, LLs, LRM20s and etcetera. Haven't seen any mech-mods as yet or more than a few ++ weapons so I'm keen for them to show up (I think it's on 3-skulls and up).

Watching the reddit forums, lots of crazy builds going on... once I've clocked the campaign (from what I understand the game is endless) I'm going to start on multiplayer and put a few different lances together.

Melee Grasshopper for isntance: https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame ... per_build/
0 x

Darius359au

Post by Darius359au » 18 May 2018, 16:05

I've got a "Murderhopper" build Grasshopper - 7 x Medium lasers + 6xMG's ,not a lot of range but get in close and alpha strike ;) :D ,I pulled the jump jets for max armour but I'm thinking of putting them back in for the extra evasion.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 18 May 2018, 18:03

Yeah nice! I couldn't go without jump jets, they've just been so useful for grabbing terrain or getting back-shots in.

Goddamn, can't wait to get home and play more!
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 18 May 2018, 22:25

I got really lucky and managed to collect 3 Hunchbacks (mediums) super early. I ran them all the way till I started facing assault mechs and finally had to concede that maybe I needed more armour.
Best mech I've found, only had middling opinions on it before now from using it in other Mechwarrior games.

I'm currently doing the same thing with with some heavy Cataphracts. Same AC/20, but even more medium lasers. I'm not sure the extra armour and firepower makes up for the later phase they take in turns though. Might just move everything to Assault mechs and beat things into submission.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 18 May 2018, 23:06

Mmmmm... Cataphracts... love 'em!

Grabbed an Orion just now with a lucky PPC to the head, all three parts, plus a piece of Grasshopper.

Doing the story mission right now where you have to take out 8 garrisoned forces while conserving ammo dumps for bonus pay. First mission since I started this most recent campaign where I've had to restart!

Current lance;

0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 19 May 2018, 00:02

Grabbed They are Billions today and have started a game... I wasn't expecting this much running around and defending... I just wasn't ready...
So far I have managed to defend off the attacks that are coming in, with only minor loss to walls. No major damage just yet.
I put it on a fairly easy game to begin with, mainly so I wouldn't die within minutes...

Starting area had only a minor forest, so I am struggling slightly with wood every now and then. Especially after an attack that damages or destroys walls.
Currently trying to take a bit more green grassy land to build further farms on for the mass food. I think I have maxed out all of my spots that I can build fishermen currently, so farms are my next option.

And all the while attempting to maintain a defensive presence on all walls to defend off all invasions.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 19 May 2018, 15:25

I struggle to get my head around TAB, Mini. Mate of mine has 300 hours in it now and just can't stop playing, I just find the randomness of the starting positions to be the most trouble.

Another story mission just now in Battletech. There are eight ammo dumps on the map and just 3 need to remain untouched to complete the mission. You can blow one up to do some serious damage to surrounding enemy units, and as soon as you get line of sight on the facility, two trucks start up that you need to stop before they get to their exit point. Throw in 8 enemy mechs and a shitload of turrets and this is a tough mission. Making it harder is the trucks you have to blow up draw you out into the open and I was rocking 300 tonnes of hardware... so with no fast runners I was getting stripped and popped.

Read up a little, the trucks are only a small additional bonus to the mission and you can safely blow up two dumps without affecting the mission.

Sounds good to me!!

There's another mech behind the guy hurting in the picture who was also de-limbed and cored. Worthwhile.

This left me with a Dragoon, a Cicada, and a bunch of other mediums. Took some awful damage on my Shadowhawk when I foolishly meleed a Locust that came in range... which opened my back up to multiple LRM and PPC shots before I could pull him into cover.

Anywho, drew them in, owned the high ground and smashed 'em.

I'd maxed salvage as my mission reward so I could pick three pieces and would get a further 14 random items from all possible salvage. I knew I'd popped a Spider with a headshot so there's be an entire bot there but they aren't worth much.

Check out the salvage options!!!

So I picked a Cicada piece, a Dragon and a Firestarter... then picked up a further 9 mech pieces from the RNG....

But then I realised that I'm paying more each month for all the mechs I've now got so I sold a bunch of lights and mediums.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 20 May 2018, 13:57

Baldur’s Gate 2 Enhanced aedition on iPad. Something about having it on ipad makes me play it more than I might on PC. Controls are good, inventory management is five shades of fucked, and as with most crpg’s the world is frustratingly, confusingly massive. I’ve left the dungeon at the start and am a massive town that it likely a tiny sliver of the full world. Have the same issue in the first Pillars and Divinity... the gameplay is great but I don’t want this much freedom!
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 20 May 2018, 14:14

They must have patched the iPad version, the controls were horrible when it came out.. but I'm the same, I like direction with some choices, I can't do open world do what you want stuff. I always end up just walking into areas I really shouldn't be in at my level.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 20 May 2018, 14:55

Yeah it's a time thing for me... if I spend hours just walking around figuring out what's next I consider that time to be wasted. I have too many games to play so I need to feel purposeful!
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 20 May 2018, 16:57

I know with some games (and cRPGs especially) exploration is key, but there's really nothing worse in a game than being stuck aimless with no way to progress because you've missed seeing one thing on one part of one map. For me, it's not even that I could be playing something else (I do not have a pile of shame. I do not have a pile of shame. I do not have a pile of shame.) but that I don't really feel like my gaming experience should be akin to detectives at a crime scene.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 22 May 2018, 19:37

Has anyone tried the remastered Skyrim? I've had a bit of an itch to replay Skyrim and I'm thinking of picking it up next time its on sale.

Is it as good as I remember or would I regret it??
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 May 2018, 19:47

Kendrite wrote:
22 May 2018, 19:37
Has anyone tried the remastered Skyrim? I've had a bit of an itch to replay Skyrim and I'm thinking of picking it up next time its on sale.

It hasn't aged well IMO, we're well past due for the next installment, this time with coop hopefully.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 22 May 2018, 19:51

I might just wait for the next installment then.

Is the Elder Scrolls Online like a coop Skyrim or is it a completely different kettle of fish?
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 May 2018, 20:06

I'd sooner replay Oblivion tbh
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 22 May 2018, 21:12

Disco wrote:
22 May 2018, 19:47
Kendrite wrote:

It hasn't aged well IMO, we're well past due for the next installment, this time with coop hopefully.
Well said... grabbed it on the cheap in a recent Gold sale on Xbox and immediately regretted it. Hasn't aged well and I remember every nook and cranny in the game so the whole feeling of discovery is gone.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 23 May 2018, 09:05

Kendrite wrote:

It looks stunning if you mod the hell out of it, I think this is the one I used last time

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... escription

You need a pretty beefy PC to run it though.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 25 May 2018, 09:26

West of Loathing is coming out on the Switch :D
0 x