Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Mini

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by Mini » 29 Jan 2018, 10:34

I finally caved and bought FFX/X-2, and have been really enjoying it again.
Last time I played it was about 10 years ago on the PS2, and some of the gameplay and graphics (Even in the HD remaster) haven't exactly held up.
And well Tidus is the most clueless guy ever...
My aim is to finish it this time around though, and then move onto X-2 and finish it as well
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 29 Jan 2018, 12:09

Subnautica was getting a little annoying on the weekend, really nice atmosphere though.. personally, I like to be back inside my safe spot at night lol.

I feel like I'm just swimming around randomly, I have crates full of supplies but nothing I can/want to build just yet.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

kharis

Post by kharis » 29 Jan 2018, 12:23

are you checking the radio?
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 29 Jan 2018, 12:33

kharis wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 12:23
I did once, went and found an abandoned life pod thing, but nothing remotely of interest.. might have to look at it more often
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

kharis

Post by kharis » 29 Jan 2018, 13:12

Disco wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 12:33
kharis wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 12:23
I did once, went and found an abandoned life pod thing, but nothing remotely of interest.. might have to look at it more often
the radio pushes the story along abit and lets you find new and exciting things
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 29 Jan 2018, 14:09

Ahh that might be the way to go then, I've got a .. vehicle making station or something set up now but can't seem to find all the bits to scan for the next ship thing (beyond the little handheld thing), maybe that will help.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 29 Jan 2018, 15:21

I think Subnautica would benefit by having some type of tagging system.

Say you need titanium, silver ore and quartz so you tag them as required. Then when you're out swimming anything you've tagged is highlighted or something.

I managed to swim to the Aurora and realised I'd need fire extinguishers so it was kind of pointless - still there was lots of good stuff to find around the base of it.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 29 Jan 2018, 16:08

Kendrite wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 15:21
I think Subnautica would benefit by having some type of tagging system.

Say you need titanium, silver ore and quartz so you tag them as required. Then when you're out swimming anything you've tagged is highlighted or something.

I managed to swim to the Aurora and realised I'd need fire extinguishers so it was kind of pointless - still there was lots of good stuff to find around the base of it.
once you build a scanning room you can do that, it has an upgrade to send the data to your hub. scanner only does one element at a time but that doesn't mean you cant make a few :)
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 29 Jan 2018, 16:13

Oh, that's good to know. I think I'm still a way off from that though.

I've made a radiation suit and upgraded my air tank so am still a way to go before building rooms.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 29 Jan 2018, 22:40

As much as I want to keep playing it, I've decided to shelve Subnautica until Xbox hits 1.0 (as there'll be a wipe). This will help me retain my excitement for it without having to do absolutely everything over again.

Astroneer now has my attention and I've got a pretty sweet base kitted out...

Pretty much the goal of the game so far is to explore, find basic materials to turn into basic items, then to search for alien artifacts. These artifacts range from natural structures to clearly manufactured objects, you then research these to earn research points. Keeping the power going at the start is the name of the game in order to suck as many points out of these things as possible... you then exchange the points for new tech. So far I've got medium wind and solar for power, small batteries and medium vehicles.

The way it sends power around the base is quite clever, has a semblance of Factorio and other pipeline builders but is way simpler.

The only negative to the game, and it's a pretty big one, is just how fucking awful the vehicles are to drive. The driving scheme is woefully, insultingly bad and so far I've stacked two vehicle trains (you can hook them up together) with no way so far to turn them over. Super super super frustrating.

Eventually you can build shuttles to go off world and find new planets to discover. That's about where the game ends at this point but it's really cute to look at, the base-building is superb and the devs seem very active.

EDIT: Astroneer led me to Planetbase, a game I never gave enough time too. Good way to wind down from Astroneer I gotta say :D
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 30 Jan 2018, 08:52

I played Astroneer ages ago, was good fun. Especially with 3 of us running around causing havoc.
I think we hit a wall of what we could do though, also died a few times from the bloody plants in the tunnels when you get down lower.
Major issue I remember is that you can completely break your camp when placing the platforms, I remember putting the first 2 or so down, and that was all the points I had and couldn't place more due to no connections being available. Oh and trees... they suck...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 30 Jan 2018, 09:19

I've gotten on the Subnautica train (sub?) as well. Been enjoying it, but I've hit a bit of a wall recently with acquiring complete blueprints of things, starting to get frustrated with how many things I'd like to construct but can't.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 30 Jan 2018, 09:28

Subnautica tip: Maybe it was just me but early on I was swimming around looking for specific stuff (like silver ore). I didn't realise you had to mine the rocks (like limestone, etc) and only then the item would appear.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 30 Jan 2018, 09:49

yup for your reference
limestone = copper and lithium
sandstone = gold lead and silver
shale = gold lithium diamond

not sure if there are more, haven't got that far
also have 30 minutes to get somewhere after a radio transmission, i have a bad feeling about this

and shouldn't there be more silver around than gold, silver is annoying to find
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 30 Jan 2018, 09:55

I must be only slightly ahead of you. I just did the 30 minute thing but won't spoil anything.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 30 Jan 2018, 10:05

yeah i could have done it last night but had to go out for dinner and didn't want to get sucked into an all nighter when i got home :)
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 30 Jan 2018, 11:47

Yurtles wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 09:19
I've gotten on the Subnautica train (sub?) as well. Been enjoying it, but I've hit a bit of a wall recently with acquiring complete blueprints of things, starting to get frustrated with how many things I'd like to construct but can't.
As long as you have the seaglide and a high capacity oxygen tank, just venture out in all directions from your safe zone and start heading down to between 100 and 200 meters. You should find a whole bunch of submerged wrecks. These will have scannable blueprints around the outside (as well as unique tech in the laptop looking things with a light in the middle) and inside you'll usually find more blueprints... just keep an eye on your oxygen and keep some replacement batteries in your inventory! Do enough of these and you'll have the laser cutter (which lets you access more of the wrecks), the seamoth and more. Also in wrecks, keep an eye out for repairable panels (next to doors, has a wire that is clearly broken just like in your safe zone room at the start of the game).

Once you get the Seamoth you can start going to 200 meters and then swimming down from there... it gets a lot more dangerous (especially in the north west) but you find more stuff (like deep shrooms) to build some of the more complex materials.

Once you've got the Seamoth you should focus on getting all the base pieces (refer to my hidden comment on the previous page for tips) to then kit out your deep sea station. Mine is on the side of a cliff in the south east at 190 meters.

Oh, and everyone should scan themselves when they first build the scanner... then scan themselves again a few hours of play later ;)
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 30 Jan 2018, 11:55

DarkMellie wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 11:47
Yurtles wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 09:19
As long as you have the seaglide and a high capacity oxygen tank, just venture out in all directions from your safe zone and start heading down to between 100 and 200 meters. You should find a whole bunch of submerged wrecks. These will have scannable blueprints around the outside (as well as unique tech in the laptop looking things with a light in the middle) and inside you'll usually find more blueprints... just keep an eye on your oxygen! Do enough of these and you'll have the laser cutter (which lets you access more of the wrecks), the seamoth and more. Also in wrecks, keep an eye out for repairable panels (next to doors, has a wire that is clearly broken just like in your safe zone room at the start of the game).

Once you get the Seamoth you can start going to 200 meters and then swimming down from there... it gets a lot more dangerous (especially in the north west) but you find more stuff (like deep shrooms) to build some of the more complex materials.

Once you've got the Seamoth you should focus on getting all the base pieces (refer to my hidden comment on the previous page for tips) to then kit out your deep sea station. Mine is on the side of a cliff in the south east at 190 meters.

Oh, and everyone should scan themselves when they first build the scanner... then scan themselves again a few hours of play later ;)
ooh i should examine the wrecks a bit more, so far only used the laser cutter on the aurora

my base it close to my pod in slightly deeper water seems to be the centre of the world, might have to make more scanner rooms eventually and spread them out a bit
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 30 Jan 2018, 11:58

The scanner room upgrades are a must... although I find the 'search for a mineral' to be really pointless... it just seems to pink dot the map inside the scanner room then you need to guess the general locale. But the actual cameras with a distance upgrade are fantastic not only to save yourself the trouble of swimming, but to act as beacons once they've found something good!

Did you grab the Seamoth depth mod from the Aurora? Only asking as it's really easy to have missed it. That is an absolutely critical piece of kit and opens up the entire next 'level' of the game (deep shrooms in abundance!).
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 30 Jan 2018, 12:13

yup got the mod and went into a mushroom cave, need to go back to the aurora at some stage as i got some intel on a door i couldn't open before
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 30 Jan 2018, 12:58

I made a fabricator. Does it matter where I build my base? I was just going to plunk it next to my lifepod but don't want to regret it for some reason down the line.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 30 Jan 2018, 14:47

You can totally build it there, but I see the base as a staging area for pushing out further and deeper. My advice would be to head 1000+ meters away from your lifepod (in any direction but Aurora) and build your base somewhere around the bottom of your ability to dive (so if you have the seamoth mk1 depth mod, you could build to 300 meters). There is a bit of faffing around then moving items from your lifepod to the base but once complete, you never need to go back to the shallows again. I find the storage mod for the seamoth helped to accelerate this (I think I got it from the Aurora). Pretty much lifepod 5 is only worht holding on to until you've emptied the Aurora and triggered the main storyline (you'll know when that happens).

The main thing to know about base building is that you need to keep it powered. Solar does work at depth, but ultimately you want to get your bio/thermal/nuclear reactor up and running. I found that with three solar panels, even recharging a single battery would slowly suck the base dry. This means you won't have oxygen or lighting or power things like the fabricator (note though that as long as the Seamoth is powered you have a source of oxygen and locomotion there.

By building your base out further, you're closer to the action, less battery/energy use in travel and much easier to find the right resources and expand much quicker (although note that energy cell and battery rechargers are game-changers - once you have those you can start to think much more freely about what you do without worrying about those tiny details). I'm actually thinking when it hits 1.0, I'll build my base to the east (rather than the current south-east). Firstly it's more central to the end-game areas, and secondly the landscape flattens out whereas my current base involves massive cliffs and is a pain in the arse to drive to.

Also more dangerous! But as long as you carry sufficient medkits and don't leave your seamoth unattended (leviathans crack them like an egg) you'll survive most encounters.

My next goal is a place called 'The Lost River' which is around 830 meters down... gonna need a Cyclops for that for sure!

As a helpful tip, be confident that if you deconstruct any item or module you've created using the habitat builder, you get a full refund on the materials used. This might help to be more adventurous when building.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 30 Jan 2018, 16:33

Thanks for such a detailed reply - your advice is really helpful.

I managed to find the floating island and scanned all the stuff I needed for different rooms, etc.

One last base question, do you build a beacon and leave it at your base so you can find your way back or does your base automatically show up like your lifepod does?
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 30 Jan 2018, 17:55

You can use a beacon until you make a scanner room. It comes with two cameras that have waypoints so you can use those instead
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 30 Jan 2018, 20:32

Only thing I'd point out about the scanner room is that the markers for the scanners are the cameras, and these can often be far away from your base. I have a beacon at the front door of my base.
0 x