Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Bicketybam

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by Bicketybam » 20 Feb 2018, 00:53

My ship is ready to fly, I just felt I needed to find all the Alien cache's before leaving this planet, but I think it might be time to head off as well. With nothing else to do but leave (and the find those things) I'm losing my desire to go back into the game.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 21 Feb 2018, 23:55

Absolver is some super cool beans. The fighting in this is nearly poetic... feels even better than Dark Souls because it's purely hand-to-hand combat that's all about timing and style.

0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 22 Feb 2018, 08:02

I think I'm a bit stuck on Subnautica.
I've been to the floating island and also the one with the planetary defense laser thing. I know I'm infected and can't turn the laser off so guess I need to cure myself. I know of a research facility but haven't found it yet - is that the next thing I need to do??

I also found an underwater cave I could walk into but there wasn't anything in there except one of those big triangle structures.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 22 Feb 2018, 09:58

Hey mate, LOTS of detail in my spoiler, not story stuff but a progression path from where you are right through to accessing the final area. Read at your peril :)

I read up on the progression path to help my walkthrough, I still enjoy experiencing stories/movies/games even when I know what's coming.
So now you need to find a bunch of Degassi habitats.

The first is in the Jellyshroom caves, these are pretty much underneath the starting area and I think the best entrance is to head to the creepweed forest to the south (remembering that the Aurora's front points north).. and on the edge nearest the Aurora (so to the east). There'll be some glowing pink plants in a crevasse, head in there.

I think it's this base that gives you the codes for the Captain's quarters in the Aurora if you haven't done that already. You can also just grab these codes off the web, you don't need to find them ingame for them to work. For the Aurora, you need a fire extinguisher, the repulsor weapon, the laser cutter and I think that's it. Head to the front of the ship, run past the alien beasties on the ground and explore the ship thoroughly (there's one room that's half-submerged with heaps of pipes... make sure to go into the water there as there's something of a 'hidden' path that leads to the final rooms). When in the aurora, there's actually a depth mod mk2 for the seamoth and one other (I think it's cyclops engine efficiency), these are super easy to miss but they're in pedastals so keep your eyes peeled. The captains quarter gives you a PDA with more info and you get the plans for the Neptune escape rocket.

After all that, your goal is just to go deeper... Seamoth mk3 depth module gives you 900 meters which lets you access the Lost River (there's two main entry points, just keep an eye out for the white reed-y looking things as they mark the entrances which are also covered with blue lights). And the next base is there.

Just keep going deeper, finding bases, your ultimate goal is just past the Cove Tree in the Lost River (you'll know it when you see it) where the entrance to the inactive lava zone begins... this is over 900 meters down so you'll need the Cyclops to have mk2 (1300) and the Prawn to mk3 (I think that's 1300 also). You can then use the Prawn to farm kyanite (and Nickel/Sulphur) to craft mk3 for the Cyclops (1700).

Recommend a couple of things before you go really deep;

* build storage on your cyclops... park it next to your main base, and build yourself a stack of free-standing lockers as well as a fabricator.
* if you don't have the reinforced dive suit (like I didn't) then also build a medical fabricator
* now fill your lockers with all the materials you need to make; two thermal generators, a multipurpose room, a hatch, a fabricator, a medical fabricator, a power-cell recharger... and if you don't yet have the recharge fins, a battery charger.
* also take TWO purple tablets (if you don't have any, head back to the beach near the gun-tower and scan the broken tablet on the ground for the crafting recipe)
* take as many Ion cubes as you can. Ideally, don't use these for crafting as you'll need 4+ to activate all the gates. That gate you found is inactive until accessed from the Primary Containment Facility (PCF)... when you find the gate that leads to a spot that's under 100 meters below sea-level, that's the gate you should walk your Prawn through in order to farm the unlimited Ion cubes in the PCF.

You could survive with just one thermal generator but the cyclops is a power hungry beast until you can create ion-cells. A 100% charge on the Cyclops should just get you to the laval zone if you don't bugger about. With the recharge fins you can convert all your batteries (with some creepweed) to power-cells and two generators should comfortably charge 2 to 4 at a time (depending on how many chargers you build of course).

Once in the lava zone, there's two paths.. one is heading deeper into the zone where there's a central mountain-like structure, there's a door around the middle somewhere that leads to the thermal generator. Two purple tablets here will give you a PDA and a blue tablet. SCAN the blue tablet and then make a second one.

Now you need to look for a big crater in the lava zone and head into that then through a side opening... this leads to the final area where you'll use your blue tablets. Watch out for beasties.

Take as many medkits as you can carry in your lava excursions. Even with the reinforced suit, you'll encounter 70 degree temperatures so will need to heal.

Hope that helps!
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 22 Feb 2018, 15:18

Actually I thought the Captains Quarters code was available from the radio broadcast when they were interrupted about getting lunch from Becky?
As for directions on where to go the PDA's give you the best clues. On the island, just keep running around until you find all the PDA's and then that will give you a location to the next Degasi base. Then when you find that, again look around for all the PDA's (not all are in those bases, some are just outside) then that will give you the location for the next Degasi base further down.

Then when you are in that same area, look for green pools of brine further down and that will lead you to the Lost River. Explore the different offshoots of the Lost River (and find the different entrances) and then you will find an alien base and it will give you clues to the next base, the tree Mellie mentioned is the next place to go and then just keep going down.

For a full picture though, scan everything! Rocks, plants, fish, bases (alien & human), skeletons etc and then read about it in inventory and it should start to give you a good idea where to go. Also Leviathans tend to stick to the area you first see them in and they also tend to stay in the open areas, so there are certain places you can plonk down bases safely (I put my 2nd main base between the Lost River and the tree and it's a very safe area with lots of resources). Scanner rooms give you a great indication of the layout of the world. Oh also, your light attracts/annoys certain creatures, so be wary of that
I think the thing that amazed me most was how each new area was terrifying until you got the lay of the land and figured out where the threats were (and weren't) and then you just take things easily. While I'm all gassed up and ready to leave (still deciding what I want to put with my time capsule) I made a new base in the caves near the sea-treaders.

I'm also thinking of putting a base on one of the floating islands as I read of someone that says they used the tiger plants in growbeds as security. As long as they are far enough away from your base (because they're just dicks and will just shoot it up) but apparently a whole growbed of them will take down a boneshark super quick. And as long as you have the reinforced dive-suit on you are fine.

This is my rocket just waiting..
I made another Neptune launchpad so I could get up high enough to take a decent piccy.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 22 Feb 2018, 18:48

Another question...
I've been to the Captains Quarters and thought I looted everything but don't have the plans for the Neptune Escape Rocket.

I have the plans for the Neptune Lunch Platform - should I go back to the Aurora for a second look for the rocket plans or is there another way to get them??

I've also got most of the PRAWN upgrades but only 2 pieces of the PRAWN suit which is annoying.
Thanks again.

Edit: I want back to the Aurora and have unlocked the PRAWN suit - yay.

Edit 2: So I just found out I have to build the Launch Platform before I can build the rocket. Turns out I'm just impatient and am on the right track after all.

Thanks everyone for tips.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 22 Feb 2018, 19:11

Once you build the platform you will get the others and what items you need to build them.
As for the PRAWN suit try looking in the wrecks around the blood kelp area, also if you go basically directly SE from the lifepod you should find a big wreck on the edge of the blood kelp and sea treaders and that might be a good spot for some items.

Another tip is to make beacons and use them a lot. Place them in locations you want to remember to find and through your inventory tabs you can change their colours etc. You can also do that for lifepods you've found that may be close to something you want to remember.
Edit : With the prawn suit, other then grapple and drill, i didn't really use any other addon.. punching something with the prawn suit does way more damage then the drill does and you can pick things up without as well. I have grapple and only add the drill when i want to drill.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 Feb 2018, 20:07

Thanks to Sathias I bought and started playing UFC 3 on XB1.. I'm terrible :lol: Really need to figure out how to block decently, and grapple, no idea how to stop a takedown attempt at all - I much prefer striking. And would it kill them to explain how the hell training camps work..

Good fun so far though, having a roll through Career and just messing around with it at the moment.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 23 Feb 2018, 07:41

Disco wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 20:07
Thanks to Sathias I bought and started playing UFC 3 on XB1.. I'm terrible :lol: Really need to figure out how to block decently, and grapple, no idea how to stop a takedown attempt at all - I much prefer striking. And would it kill them to explain how the hell training camps work..

Good fun so far though, having a roll through Career and just messing around with it at the moment.
The training camps are one part I have worked out pretty well :) My tips for training camps...
  • When starting your pre-fight preparation, first of all, do low cost training exercises (10 points usually) until you get to 70% fitness. If the one you are doing isn't increasing your fitness by 3-5% a go, try a different one.
  • Once you get to 70% fitness, you can do a sparring session, which will greatly increase your fitness and give you some tips on how you can defeat your next opponent
  • If there are moves you can learn from your current tier training partners, you can do learning exercises to increase your fitness further and get new moves and perks
  • If your training partners don't have any more moves for you, and you can afford it, it could be time to invest in a new gym membership.
  • Be careful not to go over 105% fitness or else you will get overtrained. If you do, you can reduce your fitness and gain hype by doing promotional activities.
  • When you get higher level, there will be promotional activities that the UFC mandate that you do. If that is the case there will be an exclamation mark on the Promote button.
  • Once near 100% fitness, your training exercises will give maximum rewards.
My career mode guy is in top 10 heavyweight now, he got a ground and pound KO of Mark Hunt in 2 minutes flat :lol: Any of the submission guys smash me though :(
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Disco

Post by Disco » 23 Feb 2018, 08:35

Oh good tips Sath! I'll check that out this afternoon, I overtrained to like 115% last night and had no idea what I was doing at all, I'm really enjoying the standup (was a big Fight Night fan) but I have no idea how to defend a takedown, and my only move once I'm down is to get back up :lol:
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 23 Feb 2018, 09:42

Yeah I think my next fighter will be a stand-up guy... my current one is a wrestler/GnP guy which is pretty fun. He's pretty good at getting into mount and smashing dudes with elbows until they KO. Funny thing is the ref just waves him off rather than jumping in so you can just keep smashing em :lol:
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 23 Feb 2018, 10:21

I figured stand up was more what I like and know better, but I'll need to figure out that side of it - I'm actually really impressed by how intuitive the stand up controls seem, I'm not wondering what to push to throw what, I'm not fast/good at it, but I have a good idea of how to put a combo together and how to get in close and smash someone with a hook or uppercut when they're woosy.

Big fan of it so far to be honest :D Once I put the above into practice about training and understanding the different gyms/options, that should help my career mode a lot.

Then.. we can fight, and you can soundly beat me :lol:
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 23 Feb 2018, 15:20

:twisted:

I'm planning on giving Team Mode a go tonight... apparently there are quite a few solo challenges and skill challenges that you can do to build up your team.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 23 Feb 2018, 15:38

Sathias wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 15:20

I'm planning on giving Team Mode a go tonight... apparently there are quite a few solo challenges and skill challenges that you can do to build up your team.
I don't even know what Team Mode is?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 23 Feb 2018, 21:26

Subnautica
Built the Neptune platform (bigger than I thought it'd be - no mum jokes please) and control tower. Got the PRAWN suit but need to upgrade it. Found a sunken alien facility and scanned some big dead fish things. I now seem to be fully infected with blisters on my skin. Interesting how I can go from being completely lost to having so many things to do.
I need to try to find some nickel ore.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 23 Feb 2018, 23:29

Nickel is in the lava zone. You can find small pieces of it near to the lava, and large mineable deposits for the Prawn.

So, let me talk about Absolver. It's a third-person fighting game with all the complexity and timing of any regular fighting game. You're dropped into a surprisingly small but very detailed world and run around... fighting people. It's pretty simple at heart, there's the bare bones of a story, a bunch of 'Marked Ones' to defeat and then a final boss... after that, that's it. Four hours in total.

From there, the grind is entirely a choice. You can repeat bosses and learn their moves (by using the defensive power of your chosen fighting style). This takes a stupidly long time. You can also join schools which give you new decks to use.

Decks is where Absolver is very different... as you learn new moves, each move launches from one of four stances and ends up in one of the stances also. You can build movesets where the simple X/Y press will fire off new moves that land in new stances meaning the same button press launches a new move... you can tailor your decks in such a way that I imagine PVP would be quite interesting... only problem there is.. no-one plays.

But still, it's a gorgeous game, and the fighting is fucking brilliant.

Screenshots...

The Tower of Adal

Some glorious cooperation...

On my way to defeat Jinn Mesca

Don't tell me the devs weren't channeling Dark Souls when they crafted their world...

My shiny new Absolver cape... gifted for defeating Jinn

Very Banner Saga here..

0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 24 Feb 2018, 00:57

Kendrite wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 21:26
I need to try to find some nickel ore.
You can find mine-able deposits under the brine (green stuff) in the lost river. The prawn can go under the brine without being damaged.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 24 Feb 2018, 09:21

Disco wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 15:38
Sathias wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 15:20

I don't even know what Team Mode is?
I was going to explain this last night but too much text to type out with an Xbox controller :lol:

It's a new mode to UFC 3 where you build up a team of fighters, a lightweight, middleweight, heavyweight and women's strawweight. You earn gold which you can spend on packs which contain extra fighters, moves, perks etc. Some of your fighters will be real fighters and some will be ones you create. You can then do challenges and fight other fighters belonging to other people, either with the CPU controlling them or against people online. People have bagged it as being "play to win" because you can buy packs for real money, but I'm quite enjoying it just playing it with the gold I earn along the way.

I have a created fighter in my LW spot who is smashing people at the moment, I've put most of my good moves and perks on him. I also have Hector Lombard in my MW position and some russian dude in my HW position. It's not a bad way just to jump in and have a few fights against random opponents, it seems like there is a much bigger variety of fighters in it because it downloads the fighter to you before you start the fight.

Looks like I might need to get Xbox gold though as I tried to use that mode to fight other people online and realised I couldn't :oops:
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 24 Feb 2018, 13:38

I got into that this morning! I tried an online championship and got my ass kicked twice, but in the single player championship it seems like you still play real people and I won 3 bouts there. I have coins but unsure where to buy the packs at the moment, god damn this game is fun!
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 24 Feb 2018, 14:06

And today I finally finished Life is Strange: Before the Storm..

Not going to lie, can't actually express how much I enjoyed it, probably one of my favourite games of all time when it comes to story telling, complex morality and young love. God damn.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 24 Feb 2018, 15:10

Disco wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 13:38
I got into that this morning! I tried an online championship and got my ass kicked twice, but in the single player championship it seems like you still play real people and I won 3 bouts there. I have coins but unsure where to buy the packs at the moment, god damn this game is fun!
If you go into the Store panel (scroll to the right from the main Team page) you can buy the gold packs for 5000 gold a piece. You can open your spare packs from levelling up in the Inbox panel.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 25 Feb 2018, 11:05

Sathias wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 15:10
Disco wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 13:38
If you go into the Store panel (scroll to the right from the main Team page) you can buy the gold packs for 5000 gold a piece. You can open your spare packs from levelling up in the Inbox panel.
I have the 5,000 Gold, but it looks like I also need points? Of which I have none..don’t tell me I have to buy them?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 25 Feb 2018, 11:10

You shouldn't have to, no... bear in mind you need to hold the A button to purchase rather than just click it.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 25 Feb 2018, 11:52

Sathias wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 11:10
You shouldn't have to, no... bear in mind you need to hold the A button to purchase rather than just click it.
That's what got me.. I figured it out in the end and got Brian Ortega who just won me a belt :D Doing ok so far, as long as no-one takes me down, if they do I might as well put down the controller and wait it out lol.

And I just learned they're all ghost fighters lol
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 25 Feb 2018, 15:27

Origins has a sale on... grabbed the Crysis pack for $13 or so... all Crysis games, all add-ons, no more grabbing my discs and finding the case to get the CD key.

Wonder how my 970 will go with these...
0 x