Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
DarkMellie

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by DarkMellie » 09 Sep 2018, 02:19

Years ago (it feels like) I bought The Long Dark on PC. I gave it a few goes, it felt full of promise but it never quite clicked. Then it came out on Xbox and I bought it there (because achievements) and had the same issue.

Not any more.

Am on my 9th day and doing really well. I have a hunting rifle with 8 bullets, a bunch of tools and tool equipment, a tonne of fresh and cooked meat and around 10kg of water. Most days consist of forays out into the wild looking for a heavy hammer so I can then use a forge to build better things. I'm only playing on Voyager (normal) so am on Coastal Highway (living on Jackrabbit Island) but am learning to take enough goodies to build a fire, to drink some herbal tea to increase warmth... once I make it to 25 days (cheevo) I'll crank the difficulty. Just love a proper survival game... one where you are completely immersed in the world and need to work hard for survival.
0 x
TS: tms-1.games.on.net Channel: Mellie's Random Games Password: gonmellie

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 11 Sep 2018, 11:28

Grabbed Blops 4 because Blackout mode looks to be a shitload of fun.

Now currently waiting for a match in PUBG on Xbox... 30 minutes waiting so far, wtf.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 12 Sep 2018, 09:14

DarkMellie wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 02:19
Years ago (it feels like) I bought The Long Dark on PC. I gave it a few goes, it felt full of promise but it never quite clicked. Then it came out on Xbox and I bought it there (because achievements) and had the same issue.

Not any more.

Am on my 9th day and doing really well. I have a hunting rifle with 8 bullets, a bunch of tools and tool equipment, a tonne of fresh and cooked meat and around 10kg of water. Most days consist of forays out into the wild looking for a heavy hammer so I can then use a forge to build better things. I'm only playing on Voyager (normal) so am on Coastal Highway (living on Jackrabbit Island) but am learning to take enough goodies to build a fire, to drink some herbal tea to increase warmth... once I make it to 25 days (cheevo) I'll crank the difficulty. Just love a proper survival game... one where you are completely immersed in the world and need to work hard for survival.
I played it a bit when it first came out and it took a while for it to click for me also. It really is a very atmospheric and well crafted survival game.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 12 Sep 2018, 09:48

Sure is! Upped the difficulty to Stalker though and wow... punishingly hard. I finally found a book of matches and some very sub-par living arrangements.. but was attacked twice by a wolf. Need to gather the courage to continue that run, it's just such a big difficulty spike!

Playing lots of PUBG... ever since it went 1.0 on console and has achievements I'm suddenly playing it nonstop.

In other news... Desolate. I only have one steam friend with this game and that is a crying shame. Early on it was talked about as being a new 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R' but that actually does it a disservice. The stalker comparison came from the irradiated landscape and the anomalies around the world but it's so much more than that. Up to version 0.8 now and there's a story that is pure madness.. I don't want to give anything away other than something is driving the population mad (and it isn't the radiation) and there are clearly some unhinged murderers on the loose. Side quests are also extraordinarily well put-together with multiple stages and a whole bunch of seriously scary moments. It's a survival game in effect, akin to Subnautica now moreso than any other game as there is a final act to be reached. In the meantime, the map is massive, the graphics are gorgeous (needs a little optimisation though as my 970 shouldn't struggle quite this much) and there's skill trees to build out (although recommend you don't get the scrapping skill and immediately turn your goods into sheet metal... you'll need that toaster soon, I promise).

Screenshots

Oh, and speaking of IGP (my favourite 'tuber)... check this shit out... stunning!!

0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 12 Sep 2018, 19:53

loving this thread quite hard right now... just got access to the closed beta for Trials Rising... so pumped.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 12 Sep 2018, 21:03

I got Sniper Elite 4 as part of last months Humble Bundle (Which reminds me, need to cancel this months as I don't need Overwatch)
Had a quick go on my own and got the hang of it, then jumped into Co-op with my brother, this game really shines when you have 2 of you shooting everything that comes near... and then stuffing up and alerting EVERYONE!
Had a go at the survival map with 2 of us, need to find another 2 people to join us to make it better and a bit easier... once we have unlocked some more stuff might be helpful too.

Rocket League released there "Rocket Pass" where levelling up gives you free stuff from a set list, that you can either have the free version, or pay $10 for the premium. I bought the premium, but I am noticing how long it is going to take to unlock most things and I don't think I am going to unlock it all.

Also have Space Marine which I have been playing co-op survival mode. It is some good fun, but nothing outstanding. Sniper wins hands down.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 13 Sep 2018, 22:44

Never tried Sniper Elite in co-op, that sounds heaps of fun.

Rocket League... the game that keeps on thrilling.

Finally got around to playing Frostpunk. Holy shit that's an intensely grim game... love it! I kinda got myself banished at around day 20 however, which is really embarrassing given every youtube series I've watched of this the streamer tends to complete the game first go :/

Will try again though... the game just oozes class.

EDIT: Ah man, it's because they were playing on easy!! Suddenly my resource intake matches what they were getting. Too easy but damnit, I want to see the story out!

EDITTER: Finished! MY GAWD that was intense. Lost a lot of people in the last storm where the temperature drops to -150 degrees celsius. Can only imagine what hard would be like.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 14 Sep 2018, 10:57

Watched the Nintendo Direct this morning... really excited for some of the games coming to Switch...
  • New Super Mario Bros U (Including New Super Luigi U) to Switch
  • NES Games as part of the Nintendo Online subscription
  • D3 coming Nov 2nd
  • Cities Skylines available today!!!
  • Yoshi's Crafted World (Looks really interesting design style, in keeping with past Yoshi games)
  • Civ 6 is coming...
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 (Never played a mansion game, this will be a early purchase though)
So many games that I will want, and I will be grabbing Cities Skylines today
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 14 Sep 2018, 11:12

Hmmm Cities Skylines could indeed be good to have on the Switch :D
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 14 Sep 2018, 11:13

DarkMellie wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 22:44
Finally got around to playing Frostpunk. Holy shit that's an intensely grim game... love it! I kinda got myself banished at around day 20 however, which is really embarrassing given every youtube series I've watched of this the streamer tends to complete the game first go :/
Did you play much of This War of Mine, Mellie? I loved that game (which is by the same developer and is equally bleak) but haven't totally got into Frostpunk yet.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 14 Sep 2018, 12:03

I'm not sure how anyone could play through This War of Mine. Got 7 days in and felt so dejected I had to turn the game off. It made its point too well.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 14 Sep 2018, 14:54

storm84 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 12:03
I'm not sure how anyone could play through This War of Mine. Got 7 days in and felt so dejected I had to turn the game off. It made its point too well.
I've finished it at least 3 times with various starting scenarios :shock:
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 14 Sep 2018, 15:47

Sociopath! ;)
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 14 Sep 2018, 16:22

Sathias wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 11:13
DarkMellie wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 22:44
Did you play much of This War of Mine, Mellie? I loved that game (which is by the same developer and is equally bleak) but haven't totally got into Frostpunk yet.
I have tried SO HARD to like it. I have it on PC, Xbox and iPad... but just can't find the rhythm for it. With that said, before you'd even posted this I'd reinstalled it last night (on xbox where I have the little ones expansion) after completing frostpunk. Might dig out a handy guide and make a proper go of it.

And yes, super depressing when I've played it, it really explores the futility of existence. Interesting that it ends with a ceasefire, like Frostpunk ends after a super-storm, but neither are happy endings... they're both just indeterminate in that the people involved might well die the following day but the player's work has finished.

Really am on a hardcore survival binge at the moment... has anyone else grabbed Green Hell? Nothing better than a game that lets you check your extremities and pluck off leeches, heal wounds with maggots, etc.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 14 Sep 2018, 17:47

storm84 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 15:47
Sociopath! ;)
LOL I had that thought as I was posting :shock:

Mellie, have you played the Horizon mod for Fallout 4? Really ramps up the survival aspects. Might have to check out Green Hell.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 14 Sep 2018, 18:53

I’ll check it out... FO4s survival mode is already a delicious gind.

Do check out Green Hell and Desolate while you’re there!
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 17 Sep 2018, 15:23

Did anyone else try the Blackout beta on the weekend? Talk about garbage...
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mini

Post by Mini » 17 Sep 2018, 17:18

Disco wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 15:23
I tried it, and it felt like a more polished PUBG to me. The way things got picked up, the movement, and overall frame rate
I only played a couple of quick games, and needed to finish the second game quickly so went looking for people and died...

That said, I'm not sold on the game... but might get it for the other modes...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 17 Sep 2018, 17:46

More polished PUBG? Oh man.. I got the exact opposite, felt like a half assed attempt at PUBG
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 17 Sep 2018, 18:14

Disco wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 15:23
You have a negative opinin of a game, Disco? I’m shocked, I tells ya, shocked!

Rafts of articles lauding it, videos show it to be a blast... what didn’t you like?
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 18 Sep 2018, 01:07

DarkMellie wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 18:14
Rafts of articles lauding it, videos show it to be a blast... what didn’t you like?
Inc 10,000 words off the top of my head.

Honestly, games journalism is a fkn sham. Who's going to review a BR game made by that dev and slam it for having an identity crisis?

* Muddy gunplay, everything is full auto, no fire select (which tells you the ranges they expect) all the weapons felt same same considering that you have to smash a pile of armour before you can hurt someone decently so the only guns that felt decent were the big snipers.

* The perks are stupid, enemy makes twice as much noise? large % more healing? How do you make it competitive with that?

* Vehicles all handle like trash, there's no real feeling of physics and they all sound like terrible canned sound effects bought off a cheap soundboard rather than recorded for the game. The C120 or whatever that drops the crates sounds like some sort of crop duster.

* While we're on sound, the positional audio is decent for gunfights in the distance etc but vehicles approaching are muddy and there's no hope of tracking anyone with footsteps (better pick up that perk son) but then again that's not really the direction the whole thing is designed to go(see the next point).

* You can't lean. I get that CoD isn't much for leaning but taking that out removes any hope of decent tactics in an assault, it's truly an arcade style shooter in that you either attack and outshoot someone or retreat(i get that's whats popular with some gamers, the entire reason PUBG was popular though was because it was over towards the ARMA or Rogue Spear side of tactical but still fluid and quick).

* It's ugly. Lots of bloom, lots of forced depth of field and seemingly no way to turn either off. Looking at anything past about 50m for too long just hurt the eyes of everyone i played with, they've very obviously used the same decades old techniques to prop up performance (which was worse than pubg and on comparatively lower settings for me). It also means that without a sniper rifle and a decent optic any sort of ranged engagement beyond short-intermediate is not a thing, the armour and health mechanics also back that up.

* I found the map to be badly designed, there's just random shit everywhere with no coherence and none of it feels remotely realistic, it leans more towards decade old map design just cludged together. It's pretty small but unless you're constantly running around then the circles are still painfully slow feeling and you dont really run into anyone and there's no reason to go one place over another as there's just a shitload of loot everywhere and because it all feels so spray-samey. Once i had a rifle/sub i never really felt like i needed to go scavenge better gear.

* The building designs and the town/cluster designs also don't lend themselves much towards good gunfights (its going to be in your face attacks or AWP through the double doors, nothing else) and there's not really much chance of flow in a fight. I can't see myself ever fighting though town in one contact and then saying "damn that was intense", all the interiors very much felt like they were an afterthought, after a half day of play i can't remember having one decent back and forth fight inside a building... you just go at each other and someone dies like you're playing quake or you use the interior to get on the roof or outside. I think that's because there's only really two effective ranges, point blank to spray range and then extreme range for snipers(which is still pitifully short, not going to be many satisfying long range shots).

* Something being "wrong" with the gunplay became evident only this morning when i was thinking about the game and i realized that after about 20 minutes we werent calling contacts like we normally do. Disco & I, no matter if we initiate a contact or not, normally run by a pretty strict script and it all just went out the window (admittedly he was blazed as fuck, but nobody else i played with was reacting like they were in a real gunfight either, it was just like a team deathmatch with basic calls).

Despite the trees etc everywhere I still never really felt like anything was driving me to move tactically or between cover(also fuck not being able to freelook while running), finding somewhere to hole up felt rather pointless due to the shooting mechanics unless we were both rocking big sniper rifles. Even getting the drop on someone moving into a compound I never felt like i was initiating a decent ambush.

The whole thing is just too arcade randomish for me and lacking decent feeling gunplay and tactical feel it's just pointless for it to be this style of game, maybe i'll buy CoD and play the normal multiplayer because there's nothing much else about atm but i cant see myself playing a lot of Blackout when it just feels like a team/deathmatch shooter with no respawn. I'd say wait and see what happens with the BFV version but despite the gunplay being better over there the guns themselves arent very exciting just because it's WWII. Given the right map it might be more interesting with the building destruction etc.

Overall it somehow felt like they phoned it in, cheap assets, cheap tricks with the engine, nothing to really make it feel special. it will work though, CoD has a dedicated enough player base and the PUBG devs trying to ape Fortnite and cater more towards run and gun Shroud style play with the smaller map and more gun spawns only primed people for Blackout to just step in. I think basically ANYTHING AAA quality (which this barely is) would carve the market and kill PUBG with the mistakes they've been making.

I liked:

Mods will auto equip to a weapon you're holding, it would be cool to be able to set a hierarchy in the options for your favorites, maybe even per weapon in a customization page.

I predict 16 million copies on launch day and gaming drops a large step back towards the cancer it was reveling in before PUBG lit a bright candle for a while.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Disco

Post by Disco » 18 Sep 2018, 08:41

I agree with the above, it's just an ugly, ugly game with crap gunplay, the auto equip mods thing was interesting in one way, until you wanted to put something else on a different weapon.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 18 Sep 2018, 10:20

Good write-up, Neko!

I preordered largely 'cos I'm interested to see how a pure MP CoD title works out and am still excited about Blackout although more warily so given your criticisms. Did you both preorder? I presume so to have played the beta?

======================

Now, largely to myself as always;

Post Scriptum: the CTB boys are right into this as they feel the pacing is better... I just think that means they're all getting older and single-shot rifles means they don't have to contend with better players. But.. sure is a load of fun. Calling in Stukas and artillery certainly changes up the battlefield... hearing the whine of incoming dive bombers is quite fearsome, as are the massive explosions they set off. It doesn't have as active a base as Squad does so once the MP servers burn out around 11pm, you can quickly switch to Squad which has one or two servers near maxxed.

Insurgency Sandstorm: I think this is going to be brilliant. There are no server browsers at the moment which is the main issue I'd level at it, lots of connectivity issues means I haven't played a full MP round yet. But the graphical update, the audio, the tactile feel of shooting, it absolutely nails infantry CQC. This is a big recommend from me but just be aware about those MP issues going on currently.

Frozen Synapse 2: as a massive fan of Mode7 games (I have all their self-made and published titles on all platforms including iPad) this was a no-brainer for me to get in launch week. The gameplay is the same as ever but with a vastly improved UI (instead of all commands cluttering the screen, you right click on vatforms or waypoints to bring up the menu of things you can do. The new wrinkle to the series is the city overlay which is a new gamemode where you run a business and collect income from the various zones and factions. You can buy new mercenaries (vatforms) and take on contracts, as well as fight against this titles enemy, the Sonata. All up, probs not for everyone, but if you like meticulously planning out your next move you might get off on it. And if anyone is interested in a game of Frozen Cortex, hit me up :D

Steel Division: with the sequel announced, I thought I'd go back and try a bit more. This, like with the devs other series Wargame, appeals to me in so many ways, yet I'm so, so, so bad at it. I did remember to lay down some artillery smoke on my last rush, but quickly exposed my rifle squads to an entrenched MG, cutting them to shreds as the smoke didn't quite land where I wanted it to. Not that excited about SD2, would really rather a new Wargame in a super-modern setting. Oh well.

Oxygen Not Included: it's Rimworld on a 2d plane. Pretty cool, insanely complex. Having to dig tunnels to let the carbon monoxide filter down to lower levels, or use insulated pipes when moving water so as to keep temps healthy, or watch your germ count and ensure there's sinks next to toilets... there's so much to manage.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 18 Sep 2018, 10:35

Was an open beta over the weekend, I don't really pre order games anymore and I'm even less inclined to when they start throwing out closed betas or pre order bonuses.

I enjoyed Black Ops 3 multiplayer so I'll probably buy it though, I just don't think I'll be playing much Blackout, the gameplay/gunplay is much better suited to smaller much faster paced maps that are your more typical COD maps.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 18 Sep 2018, 10:52

Yeah that's weirdly exactly what attracts me to it!

Just played some more Insurgency Sandstorm.. reckon you guys would LOVE it.. but again, be prepared for lots of connectivity issues.
0 x