Automotive Woe Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Disco

Automotive Woe Thread

Post by Disco » 14 Nov 2015, 19:01

Since I always seem to be having drama with something or other when it comes to cars/motorcycles, and I know there are a few people on here who are big into their vehicles and know a lot about cars - so lets pool our collective knowledge, if you have a mechanical question or problem, post away!

Some of you might recall I posted a while ago on GoN about my FR tyre making a noise that got faster and the wheel spun faster, and it's worried me enough that I had a mechanic check it out who said not to worry about it. Someone, I can't remember who, suggested looking at the shitty plastic hub cap as they had a similar problem and I thought 'what a toss, it's a metal on meta noise, it's not the hub cap'. The noise has slowly driven me insane ever since.

Today I was checking the air pressure in the tyres before a trip and could see that the FR hub had moved a bit and I had to pull it off to access the valve, after filling the tyre up I had trouble putting the hub back on, and ended up giving it the boot a few times until it was on :lol:

Low and behold..the damned noise is gone! :oops:

So, after that little anecdote, does anyone have any idea what the general lifespan is for suspension on an AU Falcon? I think my shocks are on their way out and I think I'll get them replaced next year, but I'm not sure if I need new springs and shocks, or just shocks, or what I could be looking at, any thoughts?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

kharis

Re: Automotive Woe Thread

Post by kharis » 14 Nov 2015, 19:08

my car is crapola, needs new tyres, brakes, rotors the radiator has a hole in it (tried the stuff you put in it to stop the leak, didnt work), the air bar cover on the passenger side has warped and wont sit properly AND the aircon/heater doesn't work

but it's all i have atm so it'll do
0 x

Muffincakes

Post by Muffincakes » 14 Nov 2015, 19:27

My car is dirty. And it's black. Therefore always dirty except the 30 seconds following a wash.
0 x

Celticangel82

Post by Celticangel82 » 14 Nov 2015, 19:36

Muffin cakes!
0 x

R3-5eNn

Post by R3-5eNn » 15 Nov 2015, 02:26

Shocks, same again. When you hear metal on metal clunks or vibrations through the steering that's a good indication the shocks are buggered.

Sometimes it could be something really simply. It's best to take a step back and think about the easiest thing it could be and then work your way to the harder and more serious option.

My mate just bought a new car and the whole car would shake when it got over 100km/h. He felt like it was coming from the rear but the mechanics were suggesting it could be his CVs or diff related.
Then one day he thought it felt like it was coming from a particular corner of the car so he changed that wheel for his spare and BAM problem gone.

He then had to take that one wheel to 3 different tyre places to get it balanced and the 3rd place said the tyre was out of balance by 400g!
Crazy!
0 x
Call me whatever you want, Resenn, R3, Senn, Rez, or even Raisin

mudslid3

Post by mudslid3 » 15 Nov 2015, 07:50

Disco wrote:So, after that little anecdote, does anyone have any idea what the general lifespan is for suspension on an AU Falcon? I think my shocks are on their way out and I think I'll get them replaced next year, but I'm not sure if I need new springs and shocks, or just shocks, or what I could be looking at, any thoughts?
It all depends on the amount of km's and what you have been doing ? any towing, dirt roads, drifting etc....... well maybe not the last one

A road test by any decent mechanic should be able to tell you what you need

my mate and his dad are my mechanics and they are both gamers his dad is a WoT nut :D
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197968767927]Image[/url]

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 15 Nov 2015, 10:47

I come from a car family but am not a car person so cars are a constant source of anxiety for me. I'm expected to be able to know and do all the car stuff myself but actually have no idea >.<

Since the head gasket blew on the car I was borrowing from my parents it's time to re-register my '84 Supra. Only problem is I know most of the tubes need to be replaced cause they're getting old and likely to crack but they don't make them anymore and I can't find what I should be getting to replace them instead.
0 x

Celticangel82

Post by Celticangel82 » 15 Nov 2015, 11:04

As mud said, depends on what you've been doing = life span of suspension. Our camry had new suspension before we bought it but the guy was towing a caravan around.. it's fubar.
So now it's time to replace our rear suspension, cv joints, engine brackets, 5 new tyres, rotors, alignment and balance and rocker cover gasket. . Did the breaks during the week so that's one less problem.. rotors, suspension, brackets rocker cover snd joints we can do ourselves.. just going to make moving house harder this week.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 15 Nov 2015, 18:23

I can honestly say I haven't done any drifting in my AU Falcon :lol: It's just not my style.. I'm going to hit 100,000km over the next few months though which isn't bad for an old car - I suspect the shocks need replacing as when I go over a hard bump I can hear it, and if I push down on the FR of the bonnet it's wobbling all over the place. That in general describes it's characteristics on the highway too, it doesn't feel like the suspension is stiff enough and it can be a bit like driving a boat sometimes
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

R3-5eNn

Automotive Woe Thread

Post by R3-5eNn » 15 Nov 2015, 18:27

Stiff suspension comes from your springs and sway bar.
Shocks play a little part in the firmness.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 15 Nov 2015, 18:29

I don't really seem to have a lot of automotive woes. I also don't buy piles of junk to drive around. There may or may not be a relationship between the two.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 15 Nov 2015, 18:31

you leave my pile of junk alone :P
1 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 15 Nov 2015, 18:35

I was about to make an inappropriate joke about your junk... then I realised, it'd only be funny if you were a dude LOL
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 15 Nov 2015, 18:37

i could have junk in my trunk...
0 x

kablekill

Post by kablekill » 15 Nov 2015, 19:02

Well my car is in the shop getting a new ECU, 2 weeks later and about $1000 bucks and still waiting for my car, Thanks. such a good time to get hit with this issues.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 15 Nov 2015, 19:05

R3-5eNn wrote:Stiff suspension comes from your springs and sway bar.
Shocks play a little part in the firmness.
Well there you go - do springs get compressed over time and need replacement or is that just how it rides?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

R3-5eNn

Post by R3-5eNn » 15 Nov 2015, 19:10

No they do get compressed over time and can become loosey goosey.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 15 Nov 2015, 19:15

Also realized that I had no idea what a sway bar was until I googled it :lol: Should all be good until I get the car registered in June anyway, I don't drive much
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 15 Nov 2015, 19:36

kablekill wrote:Well my car is in the shop getting a new ECU, 2 weeks later and about $1000 bucks and still waiting for my car, Thanks. such a good time to get hit with this issues.
This. This is pretty much how I feel about the bill that we're about to get for having our dog in the veterinary hospital for 2 nights.
0 x

Thermal Ions

Post by Thermal Ions » 24 Nov 2015, 19:56

Got an old 95 Hyundai Excel that's been a bit of a sink this year. Had shocks replaced twice (first replacements were no good), CV joint boots, all 5 tires plus a 6th to rub it in when one got punctured within a week, all fan/air-con belts, and the usual servicing. Mechanic had indicated the battery was on it's way out, but as it wasn't yet out of it's 5 year warranty I figured I'd stick with it until at least that ticked over.

Of course went out last Thursday and the Excel wouldn't start. Could tell from the dashlights the battery wasn't putting out enough juice. Okay, warranty ran out last month, so off to Repco for a new one. Rocked up and asked for a battery for 95 excel. "What series?" asked the sales rep. "Don't know". "Is it the rounded one?". "Sounds about right" I said. "That's the series 2 then". "Here you go you want this one". Get home, whack it in and off to work, no problem.

Come out the next day, (to incidentally pick up a new car for the wife), and the new battery is completely dead. It's then I notice that the car is a series 3, despite it being pretty darned rounded. Can't find a reliable picture online of the series 2 however to be sure the salesman didn't get it wrong. Call out RACQ, they jumper the battery then run the multimeter across it. Apparently I've got an electrical fault in the vehicle as it's pulling too much current. They get me to start it up, and yep, alternator fault which not only is not charging the battery, but actively draining it while connected (even without the engine on). Great, I've a battery which may not be right for the vehicle and up for a new alternator.

Looking at the batteries more closely I notice that the one I took out is Cold Cracking Amps (CCA) 600 while the new Repco one is only 420. Checking online to see what is recommended for the vehicle, there's no mention of distinguishing by series, only model and year. The recommended batteries seem to range from CCA 450 through to 600+ depending upon the site. Now I know the old CCA 600 one was a premium battery (5 year warranty, sealed etc) compared to 12 month warranty / serviceable on the replacement, but I'm left puzzled at what I really should be using?

Does anyone here know what the CCA rating actually means in a practical sense and has Repco sold me a dud that isn't suitable?
0 x
Another GON Refugee