Show us your latest purchase - September 2016

This is where all the random stuff goes
Sathias

Re: Show us your latest purchase - September 2016

Post by Sathias » 21 Sep 2016, 09:36

Let me know what it's like Stoibs, I've been thinking about getting that one. Although I have plenty of board games I don't play enough already.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 21 Sep 2016, 11:26

Unplayed stuff is the story of my life, whether it be steam games or boardgames.
The draw of this one for me was the completely co-op and app driven play; specifically the ability for proper solo play.

No more needing to wait around and sync up people's timetables, and with a lot of my original group moving away or having kids etc. it makes 'boardgame night' close to an outright impossibility anymore. Will likely check this out over the weekend.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 21 Sep 2016, 16:37

0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Dinofreak

Post by Dinofreak » 22 Sep 2016, 10:25

Grabbed a ticket for this

0 x
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 Sep 2016, 10:50

Damn I thought you bought it at first
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mini

Post by Mini » 22 Sep 2016, 11:14

Because I had been told good things about it... and wanted another driving game for my wheel
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Dinofreak

Post by Dinofreak » 22 Sep 2016, 11:17

Disco wrote:Damn I thought you bought it at first
I wish! Only 2000 tickets so here's hoping.

Although I did finally decide I will go for a Triumph Tiger 800 XCX, the challenge now is to find one at the right price.
0 x
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Disco

Post by Disco » 22 Sep 2016, 11:22

I need a dual purpose bike :( I very nearly went for a Triumph Rocket 3 when I bought my Harley
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Anon. E. Moose

Re: RE: Re: Show us your latest purchase - September 2016

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 23 Sep 2016, 18:33

The Xbox One spending spree continues, picked this up from JB Hifi yesterday, any Xbone players around that I can add for games?
Last edited by Anon. E. Moose on 23 Sep 2016, 18:33, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

PALADiN

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Show us your latest purchase - September 2016

Post by PALADiN » 23 Sep 2016, 18:50

Anon. E. Moose wrote:Image

The Xbox One spending spree continues, picked this up from JB Hifi yesterday, any Xbone players around that I can add for games?
If only you'd said PS4...

Sent from my Nexus 5X
0 x
XBL/PSN/Origin/Uplay: PalZer0
Steam: http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/PALADiN
Twitter: @PalZer0

Disco

Post by Disco » 23 Sep 2016, 19:40

Everyone is reeling that Moose bought an Xbone :P
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

PALADiN

Re: RE: Re: Show us your latest purchase - September 2016

Post by PALADiN » 23 Sep 2016, 20:00

Disco wrote:Everyone is reeling that Moose bought an Xbone :P
I have both but I play Destiny on PS4.

Sent from my Nexus 5X
0 x
XBL/PSN/Origin/Uplay: PalZer0
Steam: http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/PALADiN
Twitter: @PalZer0

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 24 Sep 2016, 00:58

Disco wrote:I need a dual purpose bike :( I very nearly went for a Triumph Rocket 3 when I bought my Harley

HNNNNGGGGG... the murdered out one is just an erection on two wheels.... shoulda got it brah.

Aesthetically speaking it's very sportster'ish, i thought you didnt like those because they were "girls bikes"?
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 24 Sep 2016, 01:16

Got off my ass and bought my three day pass for this years PAX as well. I'll organise my time better and come to any PA meet up we have.
1 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 24 Sep 2016, 10:24

I still want to go, but now that I have money I have no time :(
1 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Disco

Post by Disco » 24 Sep 2016, 11:10

Nekosan wrote:
Disco wrote:I need a dual purpose bike :( I very nearly went for a Triumph Rocket 3 when I bought my Harley

HNNNNGGGGG... the murdered out one is just an erection on two wheels.... shoulda got it brah.

Aesthetically speaking it's very sportster'ish, i thought you didnt like those because they were "girls bikes"?
Nah I love all bikes mate, they're all beautiful in their own way even scooters
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 25 Sep 2016, 00:47

Disco wrote:
Nekosan wrote:

Nah I love all bikes mate, they're all beautiful in their own way even scooters

0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Disco

Post by Disco » 28 Sep 2016, 16:32

Freakin OzBargain.. Millers Falls 130 piece tool kit, $59 w/t free delivery down from $128.98.

I have a toolbox I shove random tools in, so this will be nice.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Stoibs

Show us your latest purchase - October 2016

Post by Stoibs » 29 Sep 2016, 13:08

Sathias wrote:Let me know what it's like Stoibs, I've been thinking about getting that one. Although I have plenty of board games I don't play enough already.
Pros:

- Nice ‘virtual DM’ that takes care of all the niggling behind the scenes hokeyness like randomised card draws, descriptive scenario information, timed events, NPC dialogue, skill checks, the in-app mini games for certain puzzle challenges etc.
- Great atmosphere and passive bits of immersion such as the app naming specific characters in play, the background subliminally pulsing red when running out of time and nearing the end of a scenario, its own soundtrack, sound effects and start-of-mission narrated prologues etc.
- Interesting injury and combat mechanics over traditional dungeon crawlers.
- Slight randomization of room layouts, objective 'key items' and card draws on the backend will keep it somewhat fresh, and will have you walking away with a slightly different personal story and play session each time
- Allows for solo play

Neutral:

- Co-op only, with optional traitor mechanics. No competitive 'one vs many' like first edition.
- Requires the app (or steam version of the program if you have a laptop I guess) to play
- From browsing the app and reading accounts from other players, some of the scenarios can take upward of 5+hrs
- Like most Ameritrash games with emphasis on theme, it has a heavy focus on randomization and die rolls.

Cons:

- No 'back' or undo feature on app
- I can't comment personally on this since it never occurred for me - but some people are claiming the app has crashed on them a bit
- Minis are nice, but they don't sit in and fit into the slots of the bases 'perfectly' or tightly for my tastes. They're good enough for general play but I imagine I'll be gluing these in permanently in the near future when I paint them.
- Cost me about $145AUD. It was either not in stock anywhere or more expensive than that from everywhere else I looked.

Expand for a regurgitation dump of some of my more in-depth musings and opinions.
So I've only had a go of the first scenario. Don't really have a huge sample size to draw upon, but supposedly fantasy flight has updated the app with free extra missions already. No doubt there will be full on proper paid expansions, but little freebies like this in-between with existing components sounds nice.
If you were familiar with first edition, or something like Descent or Imperial Assault, or even just classic Pen and Paper D&D with a DM then it plays pretty similar.

The app automatically does the 'mythos phase' (bad effect card that is drawn each round which is common for these type of games) with a nice personal flair at times of the flavor text naming specific investigators that you've set up prior as being present. (So instead of a traditional game having a card saying, "The player to your left looks in a mirror and see an older reflection of themselves, take sanity damage" it says something like: "Father Mateo catches a reflection of himself in a mirror.." etc.) nice little passive change that indicates which character the effect applies to while keeping it thematically in-game.

It takes care of all the timed effect triggers that occur on the back-end. (Mission one is a standard affair of investigating a ritual in a house, after X turns it dictates when and where cultists spawn with accompanying text and descriptions etc.) All the points of interest to investigate/search/NPC's to talk to, Combat with enemies etc. are all handled by the App and in effect it's almost like you're playing half a video game. All actual miniatures (Investigator/Monster placement), and the order in which you take your turns are up to the players and are done in the physical board space before tapping on the 'end turn' button however. It's on an honor system, so you could technically cheat if you wanted to, but then one has to question why you are playing boardgames in the first place ;)

In effect I mentioned D&D earlier because it for all intents and purposes behaves like a DM in this regard and nicely and fairly intuitively allows for the ability for Solo/Co-op play. My playtime took about ~two hours, but I was literally learning the rules and giving the game a go at the same time. Also I now have read that the rule book is erroneous and there's a FAQ/Errata up on BGG that I wasn't aware of, so I likely played a lot wrong too.

Some annoying things about the app is that there's no back button; meaning if you accidently tap ahead or realize that you forgot or did something wrong then there's no recourse. Also when opening doors and discovering a new room, the dialogue box that describes the surroundings and indicates what tile/tokens to place is more often than not obscuring the very tile and indications of where to put specific things. In mentioning these however it's clear the app is being constantly updated, one of the very early critiques I heard about was the lack of ability to go back and recall scenario specific information that were mentioned or said by NPC's - when I played there was a fully functioning message log in place to freely scroll back through these things and more, so clearly feedback is being taken onboard. Hopefully the still existing issues will be looked into at some point also.

For the 'gameplay' itself, well it's subjective as to whether you like these aforementioned type of games or not really. From what I played it’s mostly similar to the likes of first edition/Descent/Last Night on Earth/[insert most other thematically driven miniature games here].

You've got your HP/Sanity, a unique character ability and presumably some starting gear associated with your character (The app randomized my starting equipment, I'm not sure if this is partially or wholly dependent on the characters chosen to be honest) and you do the classic "move or perform an action or open a door or search or attack" as you make your way through the adventure. You have a list of your stats in various fields which are used for all skill checks which the app will tell you to perform, Rolling as many die as points in the corresponding stat you possess and seeing if you meet the goal (unique dice with elder signs denoting successes). Some interacts like deciphering an incantation or picking a lock will present a little mini game in the form of a puzzle or pattern allotment challenge, giving you x amount of turns to solve it based on one of your stats. In some cases of skill checks you manually input how many successes you achieved and the result will play on from there - This is nice since unlike first edition or similar boardgames with 'and/or/if' skill outcomes, you can't read ahead and see what you 'could' have achieved with more successes; so any abilities or perishable items that could potentially grant you more successes are more of a gamble as to whether you should play them or not.

Combat is the same as first edition; if you’re unfamiliar with that, it is essentially another thematic usage of a skill check with flavour text that I absolutely loved the implementation of. There’s no traditional combat stats per se (though strength and agility are the most used checks), Instead you select a monster and choose the appropriate weapon type you are attacking with (Bladed, Heavy, Firearm, Unarmed, Magic etc.) From here the app picks at random from a predetermined list a little thematic scenario that plays out incorporating both the enemy and your weapon type, and tasks you with a skill check to determine the outcome.

So, attacking a cultist with a machete would give something like “You approach the robed man with caution, as he tries to swat you away with his staff. Check Agility (2) to outflank him. If successful you sidestep his blows and cut deep into his side with your blade, dealing weapon damage plus however many successes you rolled. If you fail, you are unable to close in for a strike, and narrowly avoid the crazed man’s blows. No effect”
In this case you’d need to roll atleast two successes on your agility stat, even though you may have used strength or perhaps even something else in previous rounds. Keeps combat fresh without always knowing what the outcome or failure states will be, and without always being assured of success because of one strong attribute.

Taking health and horror damage is somewhat different and unique than just marking off numbers also, 1 'damage' is indicated by drawing a damage card, reading the text and keeping it either faceup or facedown as indicated. Drawing up to your health total makes you 'wounded', at which point you have permanent penalties and discard all your facedown cards, drawing back up to you total again is death. Most cards are inconsequential, however a good chunk of them remain active faceup, while others sting you with status effects and other instant disadvantages while flipping back facedown. Future, other effects can cause you to shuffle and then flip over one, some, or all of your facedown damage cards and retake the effects (Things like 'light headedness' can cause you to become dazed or stunned for a turn, so along with it being classic HP damage, you can constantly screw yourself over by retaking these status effects if you don't heal yourself up properly).
I liked this as it made any and all injury/sanity damage potentially more extreme, as opposed to '5/8 health' being generally ok.

The TLDR takeaway from the gameplay itself in my opinion would be; if you and your group are the type of players who like to immersively ‘roleplay’ these type of games and generally pays attention to and appreciates the flavour text and thematic in-world descriptions when playing games, then it’ll be an amazing experience and play session, and you'll walk away from each session with a personalised account and story as to how you overcame the odds, or all went insane while the old god arises.

If you’re more ‘mechanics’ focused and play more with the direct mindset of “I rolled the dice, I got this result, now the enemy takes this damage” whilst ignoring everything else written, then it probably isn’t recommended.

I had fun solo, Just waiting for the chance to play with a proper group
0 x

kablekill

Post by kablekill » 01 Oct 2016, 14:42

On PC
0 x