Minecraft Questions

This is where all the random stuff goes
Kendrite

Minecraft Questions

Post by Kendrite » 21 Dec 2015, 11:57

Hi all.

My kids (5 and 7) have been asking about Minecraft - all their friends at school play it.

I know what Minecraft is but have a few queries:

I believe you can play together in the same world. To do this would I have to buy a copy for each of them (and one for me)?

Once you buy it can you play it on different devices? If I buy it on the PC can it then also be played on the kids iPads or are you limited to playing on the device you bought it on?

Can you play together on different devices? Eg: I'm playing on PC and the kids are playing on their iPads?

Finally, is it something that needs to be supervised or is it pretty kid safe (eg, is there chat, etc.)?

Thanks heaps.
0 x

Nacimota

Re: Minecraft Questions

Post by Nacimota » 21 Dec 2015, 12:06

Kendrite wrote:Hi all.

My kids (5 and 7) have been asking about Minecraft - all their friends at school play it.

I know what Minecraft is but have a few queries:

I believe you can play together in the same world. To do this would I have to buy a copy for each of them (and one for me)?
Technically no, I think you can set up a server locally and turn authentication off which should allow anyone to play without signing in to a Mojang account. It's been a while since I've tried that though, so it may no longer be the case.
Kendrite wrote:Once you buy it can you play it on different devices? If I buy it on the PC can it then also be played on the kids iPads or are you limited to playing on the device you bought it on?
No, I don't think so. There are several versions and as far as I know buying one version does not entitle you to another, with the exception that owners of the Java version on PC are (or were?) entitled to a copy of the Windows 10 edition.
Kendrite wrote:Can you play together on different devices? Eg: I'm playing on PC and the kids are playing on their iPads?
The Java version only plays with other Java clients (Windows, Mac, Linux); the pocket editions (Windows Phone, iOS, Android) I think play with each other but I'm not sure. The console editions (360, Xbox One, PS3, etc.) are I think based on the pocket editions but do not play together, to my knowledge. The Windows 10 edition is available on the Windows 10 store and only plays with other Windows 10 editions at this time (but it is based on the pocket edition also and may interop with those at a much later date).
Kendrite wrote:Finally, is it something that needs to be supervised or is it pretty kid safe (eg, is there chat, etc.)?

Thanks heaps.
It does have chat, and good servers are supervised. For instance the games.on.net server was supervised by the astonishingly patient/tolerant Miss Murder and MacrossFiru and there were more kids on there than adults to my knowledge. Obviously your mileage may vary and some servers you should stay away from. Also hosting your own private game locally avoids these issues for the most part.
Last edited by Nacimota on 21 Dec 2015, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 21 Dec 2015, 12:19

I highly recommend http://www.addstar.com.au/serverinformation (server url = mc.addstar.com.au) if you are ever looking for a family friendly Minecraft server. Australian based and created by parents, it's very popular and setup really well. I've played on and off their for 2 years myself, just because it has a real lack of idiots as it is moderated with kids in mind (you do have to learn to put up with a LOT of kid chat though lol). Try it yourself before taking your kids on there. I can't imagine a much more child friendly game space.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 21 Dec 2015, 12:28

Fantastic, thanks for all the answers and info.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 22 Dec 2015, 18:05

Do you have a console, Kendrite? If so, I would probably recommend getting it on that rather than PC or iPad. I have no experience with the iPad, but think of it as trying to control an FPS game with touchscreen - not so fun. And the PC version is kind of complicated for kids as young as yours, in that you will basically have to look up a wiki to learn how to craft things. The advantages of it on console are that it has simplified crafting, where you don't have to look up recipes online, it has local split-screen game play and controller support (for up to 4 players) and multiplayer is locked down to a kind of peer-to-peer with your friends list method. I'd go that way if you can, just for the split-screen and simplified crafting for the kids.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 15 May 2016, 17:06

Sorry to come back to such an old thread but my son has really gotten into Minecraft. He's playing it on his iPad (PE) and he's building houses, enchanting stuff, fishing and heaps of other things I know next to nothing about.

He watches a lot of Minecraft videos where people are playing on the same server together so I came back here to read what server Mearehear recommended (addstar) but it seems it is only for the full version.

Can anyone suggest a kid friendly server for Minecraft PE? I did google it but seems most servers are for older kids or some what complicated (PvP, survival, etc).

Thanks again.

PS - kids probably getting a console for Christmas but stuck using iPad for now.
0 x