The Craft Beer Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Schikitar

The Craft Beer Thread

Post by Schikitar » 08 Nov 2015, 11:14

Howdy all,

Found my way over from GON so I'm really please to see some familiar... avatars!? I've changed mine as I wanted my first post to be about something I'm enthused about (apart from gaming), craft beer! I thought it might be cool for those of us that like the finer things(beers) in life to post here and report on any good quality finds; beers or breweries.

It'd be great to get some regular posts as I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting beers! Of course not all beers suit all people so I thought it might be a good idea to post what sort of beers you like and then either recommend or specify what type of beers you are posting or prefer. Feel free to ask for recommendations as well if you're a bit nervous about dropping $15 on a bottle you've never had before!

-:Schikitar:-
Beer Preferences: Dark Ale, Stout, IPA, IIPA
Beer Motto: The hoppier, the better!
Current Favourite: Double IPA (aka IIPA) by Pirate Life (SA) *Edited, not from NZ as originally written
Favourite Breweries: Van Diemen, Seven Sheds, Moo Brew, Kick Snare, Pirate Life, 3 Ravens, Stone & Wood, EPIC, Kaiju Beer (South East Brewing)
Local Breweries (Tasmania): Van Diemen, Seven Sheds, Moo Brew, Kick Snare
Favourite Craft Beer Bar: St John, Launceston (TAS)
Untappd Handle: Schikitar

Let's start with our own introduction to craft beer. My story is fairly short. I know a lot of people have jumped on the CB wagon out of trend but my introduction started with a few local samplings of some Tasmanian breweries (those listed above) over the years after becoming really bored with the same, plain, boring beers. Then a couple years ago the first dedicated craft beer bar opened in my local town. I visited this bar on my birthday shortly after and I had a beer that changed everything; the Kaiju Behemoth, a black double IPA at 10.8% ABV from a New Zealand (South East Brewing - http://www.kaijubeer.com.au).

It looks a little like this...(not my pic)

The description (which I can't argue with); The enormous hop schedule of this beer is balanced by a rich, roast malt character with rummy undertones. The oiliness of the hops coats the mouth with a huge lingering bitterness while the malts add coffee notes.

The flavour of this beer knocked my head off, it was the most intense and flavoursome beer I had ever had (still holding that title I think) and it sparked my interest in enjoying exceptional quality beers that pack as much flavour as possible into a glass. So rather than drinking half a carton of watered down crap like most people, I now love just having 2 or 3 beers and sipping at them ...enjoying every mouthful.

A beer snob was born (to compliment my snobbery for coffee, pork belly, chocolate and bourbon)!

What's your story?
Last edited by Schikitar on 09 Nov 2015, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Re: The Craft Beer Thread

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 08 Nov 2015, 14:23

Has anybody ever tried Tactical Nuclear Penguin from Brewdog? The ludicrous $170 per bottle from Dan Murphy's prevented me when it was available but I'm a bit curious how it was.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 08 Nov 2015, 15:58

Schikitar wrote:Current Favourite: Double IPA (aka IIPA) by Pirate Life (NZ)
You have impeccable taste good sir ;) Although they are not from NZ, it's made locally here in Adelaide! Here are some pics a friend of mine took when she visited their brewery :)

For me personally, I like my hoppy beers but some of them ramp up the bitterness a bit too much. I'm especially a fan of belgian beers, I had a few lambics last night. Last night also had a NZ beer called Texas Tea, it was an American style brown ale with Habenero chillis and prickly pear, really nice but different.

I'm not sure what state you are in Schikitar but if you are in SA the best places for unusual beers are the bottle-o near the HWY on Marion Road and the Great Wall of Beer up at Belair.

Here is a few I got from HWY the other day. The Hoptimum was especially nice.

1 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 08 Nov 2015, 16:04

Sathias wrote:...if you are in SA the best places for unusual beers are the bottle-o near the HWY on Marion Road and the Great Wall of Beer up at Belair.
And The Wheaty, if you're up for drinking it there, rather than taking it home.
1 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 08 Nov 2015, 16:04

dotarray wrote:
Sathias wrote:...if you are in SA the best places for unusual beers are the bottle-o near the HWY on Marion Road and the Great Wall of Beer up at Belair.
And The Wheaty, if you're up for drinking it there, rather than taking it home.
Oh yes, totally! I love The Wheaty.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 08 Nov 2015, 19:45

Monolith's Blackbeer is awesome.

What's considered craft?
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

storm84

Post by storm84 » 08 Nov 2015, 20:20

Right now, 4 Pines' ESB is pretty much my favourite beer.
0 x

Schikitar

Post by Schikitar » 08 Nov 2015, 20:44

Great to see all the beer lovers unite! ;)

Sathias, thanks for the correction, for some reason I had it in my head that that were NZ-based, getting myself mixed up with another! But yes, it's a very tasty drop! I'm not from SA, I'm in Tassie, but this gives me a reason to come back for another visit sometime - those brewery pics are very cool! I'm making a note to try the Hoptimum.

Matty, in terms of what's considered craft... well I'd be fairly flexible on that but as a rule I would say anything from micro's and not macro's. That said, if anyone comes in looking to bridge from crap beer to decent beer then wouldn't have any problem with some macro recommendations to get them over the line! ;)

I've enjoyed a couple nice beers from both Monolith and 4 Pines, can't remember the particular ones I had as it was quite some time ago, will have to have another round of them next time I grab some takeways! That's three beers for my list!

I've got a few special beers in the fridge, I'll post them later as I drink them. I'm not particularly good at reviewing beers, I just know what I like and don't like! ;)
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 08 Nov 2015, 21:46

Has anyone bought the Call of Duty: Black Hops III - Black Pale Ale? For $81 shipped (metro) it's temping for the slab.
0 x

Schikitar

Post by Schikitar » 08 Nov 2015, 22:01

Disruptor4 wrote:Has anyone bought the Call of Duty: Black Hops III - Black Pale Ale? For $81 shipped (metro) it's temping for the slab.
Be very interested in sampling that one, love the name (even though I don't play CoD)! Let us know if you pick it up...
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 08 Nov 2015, 22:17

Schikitar wrote:
Disruptor4 wrote:Has anyone bought the Call of Duty: Black Hops III - Black Pale Ale? For $81 shipped (metro) it's temping for the slab.
Be very interested in sampling that one, love the name (even though I don't play CoD)! Let us know if you pick it up...
I'll be honest, the description actually sounds alright and the name (even though I don't play CoD either) has pulled me in.

Anyway, I've been to a few Breweries. Most notable was White Rabbit Brewery in Healesville, VIC. Very good is all I can say lol.

EDIT:
Annnnnd purchased it lol.
0 x

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 09 Nov 2015, 00:47

...I've been tempted (actually expected it to have sold out already, guess "limited" wasn't as limited as I thought), but not yet convinced. If we don't end up picking any up, want to write us a review, Disruptor4?
0 x
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 09 Nov 2015, 01:55

Also, this seems relevant, for those in Adelaide: Crafty Beer Fork, next Friday in Light Square!

0 x
Player Attack!

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 09 Nov 2015, 07:39

Damn, that would have been good but I won't be hear for it... I'll be in the Margaret River area on holiday :D
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 09 Nov 2015, 10:10

dotarray wrote:
...I've been tempted (actually expected it to have sold out already, guess "limited" wasn't as limited as I thought), but not yet convinced. If we don't end up picking any up, want to write us a review, Disruptor4?
I'm not really a beer connoisseur (I do love my beers though) and not the greatest at writing reviews either. But I can always give it a shot. I'll be having a few this weekend (if delivered on time) with some friends so I can always get their opinions on it and write something up and see what you think.
Last edited by Disruptor4 on 09 Nov 2015, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2015, 10:11

need to get some of this
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 09 Nov 2015, 10:12

kharis wrote:need to get some of this
I'll buy a slab of that if you have a link to it :P
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2015, 10:14

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fallout-Beer-33 ... B016XZVE96

hmm they wont ship it here, quick to the UK!
0 x

Schikitar

Post by Schikitar » 09 Nov 2015, 17:44

dotarray wrote:Also, this seems relevant, for those in Adelaide: Crafty Beer Fork, next Friday in Light Square!
Awwwe, totally jealous, that sounds pretty awesome!!

We have a couple events coming up soon in Tas, not sure if we have many Taswegions here yet but I'll post those up when I have the deets!

Cheers!
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 09 Nov 2015, 18:54

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the craft beer scene, it seems like a convenient way to charge more for less beer to me, but I do like to try new beers. Picked up a six pack of Kosciusko Pale Ale but I'm not sure if that qualifies as a craft beer :lol:
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Schikitar

Post by Schikitar » 10 Nov 2015, 09:00

I understand where you're coming from Disco, I think with anything niche you can automatically expect the price to go up but perhaps it's more because when you go macro the production levels are so huge that all the costs come down. I tend to look at it this way; one good quality 'craft' beer contains more flavour/reward than a six pack of 'crap' beer. I don't always drink craft beers, sometimes I'll have something a little more mainstream like James Squires etc., but I don't waste my time drinking VB or XXXX (or Boags Draught if you're from Tassie).

I think we can liken craft beer to any other hobby or interest we spend too much money on, like gaming PC's! ;)

Kosciusko Pale Ale is brewed by Malt Shovel Brewery (Lion) so they are macro, not micro/craft - but seems like a nice mainstream take on the traditional Pale Ale. If you like that then also perhaps try the James Squires "Hop Thief" (also brewed by Malt Shovel/Lion). Lion Co is huge, for an idea of what they mass produce - https://www.lionco.com/our-brands - even the Boags Brewery down the road from me is now owned by Lion, so they brew a lot of James Squires amongst many others (one of my mates works there so I hear some interesting stories)!
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 10 Nov 2015, 09:29

I'll definitely take a note of that and have a crack at it, I intended to have one or two beers last night and somehow they all disappeared ... it was really nice, very hoppy with a touch of fruitness, which is good because I hate fruity beers and I tend to find a lot of the James Squire beers quite fruity too, but I'l have a crack at the Hop Thief.

I think the only other craft beers I've really tried that I liked are Fat Yak (not sure on this one), and I do like the Matso's Mango beer, but it is very sweet and not something I'd want to drink a lot of.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 10 Nov 2015, 09:48

Matso's Mango is great with spicy foods though :)
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 10 Nov 2015, 09:53

Disco wrote:I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the craft beer scene, it seems like a convenient way to charge more for less beer to me, but I do like to try new beers. Picked up a six pack of Kosciusko Pale Ale but I'm not sure if that qualifies as a craft beer :lol:
I quite like that side of it, partly because of what Schik says about the flavour, but I'm also trying to lose weight these days and the carbs in beer make that very hard if I have more than 1 or 2 :x :lol:

I more drink wine these days, isn't as bad in that regard.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 10 Nov 2015, 10:16

Yeah we've had a few drinks the last few nights, it's just that time of year, wind down mode, relaxing, the weather is nice so a few glasses of wine is a lovely treat!

I did try the Matso's Chili beer at one stage, that was weird.
0 x
Nekosan wrote: