The Craft Beer Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
tranquil

Re: The Craft Beer Thread

Post by tranquil » 10 Nov 2015, 10:57

beer thread :)

My favourites would be dark ale and amber ale. I've been trying out some brown ales and dunkels lately too, at the moment I'm drinking some Mornington brown ale and Franziskaner dunkel.
1 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 10 Nov 2015, 11:06

Sathias wrote:
Disco wrote:I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the craft beer scene, it seems like a convenient way to charge more for less beer to me, but I do like to try new beers. Picked up a six pack of Kosciusko Pale Ale but I'm not sure if that qualifies as a craft beer :lol:
I quite like that side of it, partly because of what Schik says about the flavour, but I'm also trying to lose weight these days and the carbs in beer make that very hard if I have more than 1 or 2 :x :lol:

I more drink wine these days, isn't as bad in that regard.
Get the ultra low carb Pure Blonde. I used to hate Pure Blonde, but tbh, it's really not that bad to drink if you want low carb. Way better than VB etc and I feel they've improved their formula.
0 x

Schikitar

Post by Schikitar » 10 Nov 2015, 12:15

I'm also a fan of Fat Yak, especially on tap in an icy cold pint glass! ;) Matilda Bay have quite a few nice drops like Fat Yak, my wife is a fan of their beers. Speaking of, she also loves Stone & Wood's Pacific Ale, that's an exceptional drop for the novice (or otherwise) craft beer drinker... Try that one Disco if you haven't already, looks like this...

0 x

Schikitar

Post by Schikitar » 10 Nov 2015, 12:17

tranquil wrote:beer thread :)

My favourites would be dark ale and amber ale. I've been trying out some brown ales and dunkels lately too, at the moment I'm drinking some Mornington brown ale and Franziskaner dunkel.
Mornington Brown Ale is quite nice, have not tried the Franziskaner dunkel - another to the list!! I love dark ales and not-Guiness stouts, I'll have to keep an eye on your beer picks! :)
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 10 Nov 2015, 12:58

Schikitar wrote:
tranquil wrote:beer thread :)

Mornington Brown Ale is quite nice, have not tried the Franziskaner dunkel - another to the list!! I love dark ales and not-Guiness stouts, I'll have to keep an eye on your beer picks! :)
We have a very similar taste in beers Schik :) I love that dunkel. My favourite beers below

Local

1/ Pirate Life IIPA
2/ Feral Hop Hog
3/ Knappstein Lager
4/ Coopers Stout
5/ Little Creatures Pale

International (most Belgian)

1/ Duvel
2/ Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue)
3/ Timmermans Kriek
4/ Hoegaarden
5/ Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
1 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Schikitar

Post by Schikitar » 10 Nov 2015, 13:06

Thanks for the list Sathias, this gives me a few beers to hunt down, should keep me afloat for a while!

I've got a few beers in the fridge that I'll have on the weekend which I'll do a very short write up on - as a general rule I don't drink Monday to Friday (unless I have a really crap day, then the bourbon comes out)! ;)
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 12 Nov 2015, 00:40

I had a short (and crappy) affair with craft beer that ended because 99% of them were overhopped rubbish or tasted like I had rusty nails in my mouth. I find that the fancier the label/name the shittier a beer generally tastes.

In for recommendations on an Australian Hefeweizen style that's drinkable. Don't mind me the occasional Dunkel too. :lol:

Love me some Hoegaarden Sath. :lol:
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 12 Nov 2015, 08:32

Nekosan wrote:I had a short (and crappy) affair with craft beer that ended because 99% of them were overhopped rubbish or tasted like I had rusty nails in my mouth. I find that the fancier the label/name the shittier a beer generally tastes.
Disco had a beer the other day that he announced was too hoppy... I didn't really pay much attention, so he repeated himself. I looked up and he's making the beer bottle 'hop' along the arm of his chair :lol: easily amused, we are at times :D
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 12 Nov 2015, 09:03

my fav's are
lord nelson old admiral
Coopers extra best Stout
Little Creatures Pale
2 Brothers Kung Foo Rice Lager
matso ginger beer
0 x

Jimmy_The_Geek

Post by Jimmy_The_Geek » 12 Nov 2015, 09:08

I am super interested in Home Brewing. Any Idea how I can do?
0 x
Superman, Tabletop, Video and Pro Wrestling.

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 12 Nov 2015, 09:09

Nekosan wrote:I had a short (and crappy) affair with craft beer that ended because 99% of them were overhopped rubbish or tasted like I had rusty nails in my mouth. I find that the fancier the label/name the shittier a beer generally tastes.

In for recommendations on an Australian Hefeweizen style that's drinkable. Don't mind me the occasional Dunkel too. :lol:

Love me some Hoegaarden Sath. :lol:
White Rabbit White Ale is worth a look Neko, it's very similar to Hoegaarden. Or if you want a more German style Moo Brew do a good one but it's a bit pricey.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 12 Nov 2015, 09:13

Jimmy_The_Geek wrote:I am super interested in Home Brewing. Any Idea how I can do?
I brewed for a few years, this is the best online resource I found at the time

http://howtobrew.com/

However to start with it can be good just to start with a standard Coopers or Brewcraft kit and try a standard "kit and kilo" first until you get your feet wet. The biggest bit of advice I would give to getting good results is it is all about pitching temperature. Pitch the yeast when the wort is between 20-24 degrees and you will get a good result. I can share some tricks for achieving this if you end up getting into it :)

Although coming into summer can be a tricky time to get started as it is hard to keep your brew between that temperature range, unless you have a cellar or a house that is always climate controlled.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 12 Nov 2015, 12:19

Best advice for homebrewing, make sure everything you use is as clean and sterile as you can get it. Any containments can make what would be tasty become truly awful.

Just grab a Coopers or basic Brewmaster kit to start with. They normally give you all the bits for your first brew as well as full instructions and stuff. It's pretty easy really, just a lot of work cleaning.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 12 Nov 2015, 15:46

CoD: Black Hops beer has arrived. Now to go home and get it from my front door!

EDIT:
Here is the album of the slab and one of the 6 packs going in the fridge:
http://imgur.com/a/DPR8F
1 x