CherryRed

Re: Christmas Traditions

Post by CherryRed » 14 Nov 2015, 18:18

Ugh.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 14 Nov 2015, 18:21

Xmas eve with my immediate family and step cousins, this year because reasons I'll probably try and make it to extended family lunch on boxing day. Xmas day I spend with one set of my girlfriends grandparents
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 14 Nov 2015, 18:22

Christmas will be hard this year Makena... just remember to be kind to yourself.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 14 Nov 2015, 18:23

Yeah, at least it's not a long wait before it, only a few weeks to deal with the first xmas with a smaller family
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 14 Nov 2015, 18:36

True... I have no useful advice, haven't been in your shoes, but keep your chin up Xx
0 x

Thermal Ions

Post by Thermal Ions » 24 Nov 2015, 23:49

CherryRed wrote:Anyway, we have now made it clear that we are do a three year rotation - essentially we promise that at least once every three years, each family will get the opportunity to have Christmas with us, whether it be at their place or ours - and one of those three years is ours to do with as we please, starting this year. We decided to do a Christmas Cruise this year, 10 days to the pacific islands, completely disconnected and we can't wait!
We've tried to work a similar arrangement. Hasn't always been possible some years, particularly a few years when we were living in the same town as my parents and couldn't travel away to visit the wife's due to work commitments. Typically tried to visit at other times of the year instead to make up for it.
0 x
Another GON Refugee

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 25 Nov 2015, 00:05

Thermal Ions wrote:We've tried to work a similar arrangement. Hasn't always been possible some years, particularly a few years when we were living in the same town as my parents and couldn't travel away to visit the wife's due to work commitments. Typically tried to visit at other times of the year instead to make up for it.
Yeah, that's sort of what happened with us - for a few years Disco couldn't get away from work, and his parents are 90 minutes away whereas mine are 12 hours away so his parents got to spend Christmas with us a hell of a lot more than mine have. What we've basically said though is that our 'intent' is to do a three year rotation with Christmas, but for example, when it's my family's year that doesn't necessarily mean we will go to them, it just means they have first preference if they want to spend Christmas with us.

So for example, Christmas 2013 was Disco's family but we didn't go to his parent's place, they came here and lunch was at his cousin's house. Christmas 2014 was my family, but again, we didn't go to my parent's place as they came here and lunch was at my brother's house. Having said that, because my parents do have to travel so far, we have already agreed that for the next Christmas we're 'scheduled' to spend together in 2017 we will make an effort to have it in Brisbane so that we actually go to them for a change... of course, this is always subject to change, because you never know what curveballs life may throw.

Early next year we'll make sure we loop Disco's parents in on the fact we'll be having Christmas with them; with a bit of luck we'll be in a new house and can host it.
0 x