New/Returning Player Information - updated 18/03/2017

Welcome to the NWN forums!
Maditay

New/Returning Player Information - updated 18/03/2017

Post by Maditay » 02 Dec 2015, 22:46

Welcome to The Ancient Lands of Edon (ALOE).

Most information you need can be found on the ALOE wiki, a community based wiki solely for the use of ALOE players. To help you get started and to find the basic things you need to get playing please see below.

Player information: http://aloe.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_Lands_Of_Edon_Wiki

Edon Haks: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7QTfN ... FGQ2s/view
Edon tlk: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7QTfN ... hfRXM/view
Portraits: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7QTfN ... prbUk/view
Portrait and Soundset Unlocker: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... as-souhotu

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn ... ld-english
http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn ... -23-cep-24

(If the link above and on the wiki no longer works please leave a message here for the DMs and they will help you find what you need.)

Server address - edited with new server details

Reload.gg ALOE

Ip is 103.79.72.162:5122
or try nwn01.vic.reload.gg:5122
Last edited by Maditay on 09 Jan 2017, 16:44, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Re: New/Returning Player Information

Post by Fraggermuffin » 08 Dec 2015, 14:52

On a similar note, how to we actively promote the return of old players? I wonder how many even know that the forums have shifted and that the server is under a new, greater threat than even the dreaded Scourge could have concocted?

Do previous Dev's like Musty and Rothbart know of the impending doom?

If you haven't already,I'd suggest everyone passing on the news to any old players they have contact details for.

I hope to return to the game once I get PC back from warranty repairs. Hopefully we can get a weekly RP group up and running.
0 x
Solo ranter.

Gotrek1966

Post by Gotrek1966 » 09 Dec 2015, 11:44

Mustang is aware of forum closure and probable take down of servers.
Am trying to get in contact with old players to let them know what is going on.
0 x

Thorns

Post by Thorns » 14 Dec 2015, 22:43

Hello all. Looking at getting back into NWN, once I find my CD. Just wanted to check if ALOE was still around and found the GON forums ... errr GONE. Wasn't hard to Google this forum, if your looking hard enough. We actually spoke about this game during a nerd weekend and reminisced. Seems that some actually tried to play in recent years but always had trouble running NWN.
I will send this forum info to my friends (some old hats on ALOE) but not sure how many would be keen to get back into it.
0 x

Gotrek1966

Post by Gotrek1966 » 15 Dec 2015, 22:00

Thorns wrote:Hello all. Looking at getting back into NWN, once I find my CD. Just wanted to check if ALOE was still around and found the GON forums ... errr GONE. Wasn't hard to Google this forum, if your looking hard enough. We actually spoke about this game during a nerd weekend and reminisced. Seems that some actually tried to play in recent years but always had trouble running NWN.
I will send this forum info to my friends (some old hats on ALOE) but not sure how many would be keen to get back into it.
Welcome back matey :)

yea, it is an old game and ppl have moved on. But still a game to enjoy once you remember what you are doing (says the player who forgot how to get his char to rest) :oops:
0 x

Thorns

Post by Thorns » 15 Dec 2015, 23:22

Just reinstalled everything but found that Windows 10 won't run it. Anyone know any workarounds?
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 16 Dec 2015, 00:07

In Control Panel under Programs my Windows 10 shows an option titled: Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.

Try that and let me know how you go. I'll be trying it myself in the next couple of days, once I get my PC sorted out.
0 x
Solo ranter.

Thorns

Post by Thorns » 16 Dec 2015, 00:18

Fraggermuffin wrote:In Control Panel under Programs my Windows 10 shows an option titled: Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.

Try that and let me know how you go. I'll be trying it myself in the next couple of days, once I get my PC sorted out.
Yeah tried all the compatibility methods, Windows mode etc. No matter what, keep getting the Won't work in this version of Windows message. Seems that some people have it working in Win 10 (but they may have the GOG version) so there must be a solution other than dual booting into Linux or older version of Windows.
0 x

Thorns

Post by Thorns » 16 Dec 2015, 00:25

Thorns wrote:
Fraggermuffin wrote:In Control Panel under Programs my Windows 10 shows an option titled: Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.

Yeah tried all the compatibility methods, Windows mode etc. No matter what, keep getting the Won't work in this version of Windows message. Seems that some people have it working in Win 10 (but they may have the GOG version) so there must be a solution other than dual booting into Linux or older version of Windows.
UPDATE - Just noticed still Version 1.66. Downloading and installing critical rebuild and whatever other updates I can find. Fingers crossed.
0 x

Thorns

Post by Thorns » 16 Dec 2015, 00:51

Yes that was it. Forgot to apply the crit rebuild and update. Small trap for old players.
0 x

Trickster

Post by Trickster » 19 Dec 2015, 02:59

Hmmm... I might give this a go. See if my PC can handle it :) Thorns told me he was playing it again and having fun. Maybe Clan Werfu can make a comeback.
0 x

Trickster

Post by Trickster » 19 Dec 2015, 05:02

Ok, logged in ok, had a run around, all my old characters are still there. Server was empty though, but I did log in at 1am Perth time so not surprising.
0 x

tazshar

Post by tazshar » 19 Dec 2015, 18:01

I am getting a C++ runtime error on both computers trying to run NWN. Any suggestions?

*feels silly for not knowing anything technical about computers*

So now I have installed the critical rebuild, trying to boot up, get the play choices menu then.....nothing.
Last edited by tazshar on 19 Dec 2015, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Thorns

Post by Thorns » 19 Dec 2015, 18:24

tazshar wrote:I am getting a C++ runtime error on both computers trying to run NWN. Any suggestions?

Unlikely to be game causing that, more like Operating System.

What O/S are you using?
Make sure it is up to date (not suggesting upgrade to Win10, what I mean is make sure all your Windows patches, updates are downloaded.)
0 x

tazshar

Post by tazshar » 19 Dec 2015, 18:28

Thorns wrote:
tazshar wrote:I am getting a C++ runtime error on both computers trying to run NWN. Any suggestions?

Unlikely to be game causing that, more like Operating System.

What O/S are you using?
Make sure it is up to date (not suggesting upgrade to Win10, what I mean is make sure all your Windows patches, updates are downloaded.)

One has windows 10 and one has windows 8
0 x

Trickster

Post by Trickster » 19 Dec 2015, 20:36

It might be the order you are applying the CEP and the Edon files.

1. Install basic game.
2. Install 1.69 hot update
3. Download and extract CEP 2.4 - put them in the designated folders (overwrite all files when it asks)
4. Download and extract Edon specific files, put them in the designated folders - (overwrite all files when it asks)

I'm running Windows 10, did it in that order and all worked first time. The only thing it won't let me do is run in Windowed mode.

Ring me if you have questions. All links to all the files above are in the Player INformation wiki - link at the first post on this page
0 x

tazshar

Post by tazshar » 19 Dec 2015, 21:01

Trickster wrote:It might be the order you are applying the CEP and the Edon files.

1. Install basic game.
2. Install 1.69 hot update
3. Download and extract CEP 2.4 - put them in the designated folders (overwrite all files when it asks)
4. Download and extract Edon specific files, put them in the designated folders - (overwrite all files when it asks)

I'm running Windows 10, did it in that order and all worked first time. The only thing it won't let me do is run in Windowed mode.

Ring me if you have questions. All links to all the files above are in the Player INformation wiki - link at the first post on this page
Yeah I can get it to run now, just not properly. I can log in but the screen is all the way to the bottom right and when I log into the server I have no toolbars or character icon in the corner. Funnily I tried to open it on mine without the rebuild and haks and it works fine now. Odd. I am now trying to get it to work on Prux's computer.......
0 x

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 20 Dec 2015, 10:38

Sounds like the resolution is set wrong.
Or if you have the windows DPI scaling on, you might need to disable it for NWN.
0 x

Trickster

Post by Trickster » 20 Dec 2015, 12:24

Also I had manually set my screen resolution wrong, now I've made it a bit smaller (1600 x 900) it windows fine after I changed the nwn.ini file. When I installed it, NWN defaulted to 1024 x 640 or some low number like that, so you'll need to change it in the options.
0 x

tazshar

Post by tazshar » 20 Dec 2015, 21:29

Tried all the settings. Managed to get the loading screens fully visible and tried to change the resolution in game but none of the options brought up the toolbars and character icon so they are still missing off the screen
0 x

tazshar

Post by tazshar » 20 Dec 2015, 22:21

tazshar wrote:Tried all the settings. Managed to get the loading screens fully visible and tried to change the resolution in game but none of the options brought up the toolbars and character icon so they are still missing off the screen
I think I have fixed it. Was something to do with DPI scaling on high resolution. Thank you everyone
0 x

Trickster

Post by Trickster » 21 Dec 2015, 11:28

All hail the imminent return of Prux The Living God. He's a legend in his own mind!
0 x

kaoscvn

Post by kaoscvn » 22 Dec 2015, 22:11

Haha, I remember him!
0 x

Trickster

Post by Trickster » 23 Dec 2015, 02:00

I'm out for a bit. Getting Memory_Management blue screen of death every time I fire up a game of any type. It's been an ongoing problem since I upgraded my hardware. Thought NWN was immune but it was just biding it's time. I'll be back when I get it sorted.
0 x

Gotrek1966

Post by Gotrek1966 » 24 Dec 2015, 10:45

Sorry to hear that Trickster. Hope you get it sorted out matey.
0 x