Drop rates, gear, etc

Welcome to the NWN forums!
Peber

Drop rates, gear, etc

Post by Peber » 08 Apr 2018, 22:25

I've been leveling Lags up over the past several weeks (hit 38 tonight) and I'm wondering whether it's normal to have seen no ultras/rares? Do they only drop once you hit 40?
This hasn't been a speed level or anything - most of the time I don't even have potions of fast learning (the game crashes pretty frequently for me so I've run out of cash with all the re-pots). I'm using gear which I've found (or been donated) along the way. Probably my slowest 1-40 ever.

Does it get better once you hit 40?

I'll be honest, I'm pretty disillusioned at this point. The nostalgia that brought me back has given way to melancholy.
I was certainly expecting a grind (having to start from scratch and all) but seeing no interesting drops after so many hours of play makes me wonder whether it's worth the time once I hit 40?
Realistically I'm unlikely to experience the mythic content again. Superlative gear is probably out of the question too (I'll never be able to solo the areas required and the server is too empty to form a group. It's a catch 22).

I see some non-crafter 40+'s on from time to time. Are you all just grinding away too or is there progression to keep you entertained?
0 x

Sapphire

Re: Drop rates, gear, etc

Post by Sapphire » 08 Apr 2018, 22:50

No your not the slowest to get to level 40 ... That probably is my first character after the relocation of server host... My best character is only level 39 and still about 30k from 40th and that is like after a years worth of play...

I have seen your username popping in and out a lot I did not realise it was due to crashing a lot... The server is very laggy this week even for me whilst I am probably the half the world away I have a very powerful computer and a high end connection at just a little over 75MB...

If you look through the posts here you'll see that we are still waiting on the very busy Andre to address the drop rates particularly of the high end gems (superlative in particular) which most of us have not seen a single drop of one yet... As forge's very few minors have been found and have only heard of like about 5 or so intermediates and a couple of majors... So your not alone in the position of loot drops in this regard...

Most of us are waiting around and crafting to get items and collecting gold to try get enough together to afford the upgrades to superlative gems for crafting... So far this has been my only way to get my 3 superlative gems ... I personally amoungst my 6 or so characters have only found 1 minor forge stone to add to those I got at the start up bonus ...

Think those of us whom still play are the die hards and the intro of EE is unlikely to bring more players on board to match anywhere near those heady days of a full server... I can only suggest that you seek to post here and try and inspire some to to join you at high end quests like the wings quest etc... Which I have yet to do as I don't feel in anyway confident enough that my current builds could even attempt from even within a party...

Try posting a proposed schedule for things like this some will respond am sure of it...
0 x

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 08 Apr 2018, 23:26

LAGS!!!!!

Pretty much what Sapphire said. We know runes/superlatives in particular are being really stingy in their drop rates, and I've experienced the same thing. Some have found a few ultra-rares, I haven't found any myself. It's on the table, Andre's just got his hands pretty full currently.

That said, I'm not as frequent as I once was due to work, but I'd be happy to come bust out some firepower to come help you with high-end quests and materials :D I don't really have any of mine either, so I'm planning to be doing some mischief in all the dragon areas especially, and if I'm careful I can hold up to them (mage build). All my characters are in my sig if you see any of them on and want to kill something and have some RP along the way.
0 x

southead

Post by southead » 09 Apr 2018, 09:55

Not sure if was just me, but I found an abundance of Greater Enhanced gems when leveling up my first character on this server - Murrpau. At one point I found 11 in one day. The main thing that held me back from upgrading gear was gold pieces. I found enough gems to upgrade murrpau's equipment to superlative, along with 4 major runes, 5 intermediate, and 8 minor. I found the bulk of these grinding the legendary scourge on Misty Isle.

Now I have Omega on my cleric, I farm the wolves in Kabu, I pull the entire map of both Wolf Valley and the Wolf Den and Mass harm them with Omega... It takes longer to loot them than kill them. Generally, in a day's farming, I find ~1ml gp, 75-100 keen, 45-60 enhanced, 5-10 Greater Enhanced, 3-8 Peerless, 1-4 Intermediate, 1-5 minor.
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 09 Apr 2018, 14:34

I have two level 45's and a level 34. Found a handful of runes, one Superlative and a few Peerless. No Ultra Rares. Getting gear to Superlative isn't too hard now, if you have a good build or party and know a crafter.

Although I've pretty much put playing on hold until the next update comes out. Waiting on some item fixes and craftable Mythic Item Upgrades.
0 x
Solo ranter.

Yastiandrie

Post by Yastiandrie » 10 Apr 2018, 08:14

I have a 45 and 42 and haven't seen any either so you're definitely not the only one. At best I've found a couple of minor runes, 1 intermediate, and 0 ultra rares/perma-haste items. I have found 1 superlative gem and a few peerless. It can get disheartening after a while

I think southead should buy a lotto ticket heh
0 x
Gabriella - Aasimar Cleric (War/Trickery)/Bard/Prism DD
Merikara Sanbourne - Aasimar Druid/Monk/Shifter

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 10 Apr 2018, 13:03

Half the UR items are junk anyway, so I'm not sure why you would be worried about not seeing them...
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 10 Apr 2018, 14:06

Yastiandrie wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 08:14
I think southead should buy a lotto ticket heh
I'm not sure it's luck. He grinds a whole lot more than anyone else on the server at the moment.
0 x
Solo ranter.

Peber

Post by Peber » 13 Apr 2018, 08:45

mmm thanks for the responses. I think I'll tick off level 40 then wait to see if/when updates change the situation.

André Axe'm wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 13:03
Half the UR items are junk anyway, so I'm not sure why you would be worried about not seeing them...
If half of them are junk, why include them in the loot tables?
For the other non-junk half, why not let them drop more frequently?

The point of an RPG like NWN is, generally, RP/story and gear/level. When replaying content on a low-density server the RP/story aspect is largely absent which leaves gear/level as the primary motivator.
0 x

Peber

Post by Peber » 13 Apr 2018, 08:59

Sapphire wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 22:50
I have seen your username popping in and out a lot I did not realise it was due to crashing a lot... The server is very laggy this week even for me whilst I am probably the half the world away I have a very powerful computer and a high end connection at just a little over 75MB...
I think the problem is compatibility between an old game and Windows 10 with modern hardware.
I've got a powerful PC and a fast connection (100Mbit). Latency is low (< 50ms to the server).

Getting the game to even run required:
  • Forcing windowed mode (full screen simply will not work)
  • Disabling intro/movies
  • Run in compatibility mode
  • Disabling water grahpics
  • Tinkering with CPU affinity, memory level and memory access in the .ini file
Some forums I've read suggest giving the community patch project (unofficial 1.71 patch) a go, but I haven't tinkered with this yet.
0 x

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire » 13 Apr 2018, 09:55

Aha think you got it there ... Windows 10.0 does have issues with NWN 1 which is one of the reasons I switched back to Win7 and all the freeze screens and other issues dissappeared over night so to speak ...
0 x

southead

Post by southead » 13 Apr 2018, 12:48

A day's farming Epic Wolves in Kabu... This is an average haul

0 x

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 13 Apr 2018, 14:17

Peber wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 08:45
If half of them are junk, why include them in the loot tables?
For the other non-junk half, why not let them drop more frequently?
Haven't got around to fixing that bit yet.
0 x