leaving stuff on the ground

Welcome to the NWN forums!
vorly

leaving stuff on the ground

Post by vorly » 18 Jan 2019, 21:54

I've noticed a trend of transferring by putting a bunch of items on the ground, logging and another character picks it up. I could be wrong but I thought this was frowned upon as it detrimentally impacts the server.

I personally witnessed a transfer yesterday where this player didn't pick the last item up and left a Vial of dragon blood sitting on the floor in the crafting area. After a couple of hours i picked it up and trashed it. My feeling is, stop being lazy and use the tools put in place for this stuff (like the Chest of No Responsibility) in the zone in area or another player to facilitate the transfer.

Am I overreacting? I'd prefer not to be cleaning up after people for the sake of the server.

/endrant
0 x

kittycatArcane

Re: leaving stuff on the ground

Post by kittycatArcane » 19 Jan 2019, 02:52

It is okay to drop a few items on the ground for transfer to another character, as long as the transferrer is quick to pick it up.

However, if there's a lot of items to be transferred between characters (like lots of crafting materials), using a container like the gateway Chest would be the way to go. (NOT CRAFTING TABLES. This is littering! Take the extra few seconds to use your emote wand and transfer your stuff in bulk at the gateway!)

And as a general rule of thumb: Double-check the ground when you're doing things that tend to drop items. Whether it's transfer, cutting branches, or mining, zoom in and use your Tab key and cursor to make sure you didn't miss anything!
0 x
Edon Characters: Fade Draschen, Kreznomaar Vorin, Aedvulf, Arkuel Fay'drithe, Kaillyn Cylvaril, Kyreen Fay'drithe

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire » 19 Jan 2019, 05:36

Personally witnessed this over last 6 months or so, have told those I seen doing it to use the donation box in the trade hall instead... Which happens to be what I do when transfering some raw materials to my crafting characters...

Perhaps it might be an idea to make another one available in the crafting halls too...

I do think it is akin to those that still leave their unused materials in crafting stations all over the place, so personally I'd give the person concerned 1 warning then if the do it again sell their stuff they leave on the floor without any attendance...
0 x

southead

Post by southead » 19 Jan 2019, 10:01

I'm guessing I was the one the dropped the blood. I have been using the ground to transfer materials for the last three months without knowing I was doing ant\ything wrong. My sincere apologies... A simple pm telling me I had left the blood on the ground would have been more appropriate than posting about it on the forums I would have thought.

I will use the donation box in the future...
0 x

Cuban Eight

Post by Cuban Eight » 20 Jan 2019, 14:47

Yeah, I regularly use the ground or a crafting station to transfer items between characters. I never leave stuff lying around, its always a direct logoff/logon swap.

I avoid the donation box because I thought its use was just that, anyone can take anything out of it as a donation. I don't want just anyone running off with my Dragon Slippers!
0 x

Alkarl

Post by Alkarl » 20 Jan 2019, 18:28

I use a corner of the gateway to transfer stuff (like behind the trees), I can't be bothered navigating that giant tree to get to a chest... :P
0 x

vorly

Post by vorly » 21 Jan 2019, 15:18

The reason for this post was because I was seeing stuff being transferred on the ground and I remembered a post on the old forums regarding leaving stuff on the ground and how it's really bad for the server. I wasn't going to name names and would've spoken to you directly in-game (as I already have regarding this in the entry way). I was trying to gauge public opinion and possibly even clarification if it was known as to whether this is as big an issue as it was before, prior to talking to you again. It appears as though it is not as much of an issue as I had thought.
0 x

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 21 Jan 2019, 17:36

Not to worry! Mostly it becomes a big source of lag if it is left sitting around - a direct swap usually only takes a few seconds and is harmless. I also was half-asleep when I wrote my first post and should clarify: Take great care if transferring items on crafting tables. Empty server is the best time; if someone else is on who is probably going to use them, try not to leave stuff on crafting tables, and of course always check that you grabbed everything. If there's lots of crafters on at once (like there was the other night - 8 people and most of them crafting!), the ground or a different container is preferable.

On a personal note, if transferring extremely valuable gear I do prefer the "make someone hold my stuff and save their character while I switch characters" route in case the server crashes. This isn't always possible of course, but it is completely legal to do so, in case anyone ever wonders!
0 x
Edon Characters: Fade Draschen, Kreznomaar Vorin, Aedvulf, Arkuel Fay'drithe, Kaillyn Cylvaril, Kyreen Fay'drithe

vorly

Post by vorly » 21 Jan 2019, 18:44

kittycatArcane wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 17:36
"make someone hold my stuff and save their character while I switch characters"
Cats are so demanding :lol:
0 x

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire » 21 Jan 2019, 19:42

At least you don't have to take them for walkies :)
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 21 Jan 2019, 21:34

I've always just used the ground in the gateway like Alkarl. It's quicker than leaving stuff anywhere else as that is where your character starts. I make sure to press tab so I don't leave anything. Dropping something is quicker than click drag.

When we've had stability issues with the server (or players) in the past bad things have happened when giving someone something to hold. I had a Superlative Fullplate duplicate itself once on a server crash when someone was holding it. Took all my willpower to throw it in the bin. I've also had someone crash, and crashed myself, when asked to hold something. Then you need to bother a grumpy DM.
0 x
Solo ranter.