Vale: Kay Hayes (Iona)

Welcome to the NWN forums!
Iona

Vale: Kay Hayes (Iona)

Post by Iona » 01 Sep 2019, 09:26

My name is Roy Gilby. I am a close friend of Kay Hayes (Iona) who has been a very active member on EDON Never Winter Nights since about 2005 (as best I can remember). In the event that anything ever happened to Kay, she had tasked me with notifying various people and groups. Well, now that time has come.

Kay had Influenza for the last week. On Friday evening (30 August 2019) at dinner, Kay seemed to be on the improve. However, sometime on Friday evening her condition suddenly worsened. Unfortunately, Kay died on Saturday morning (31 August 2019).

I will check this forum for a while in case there are any messages that I need to attend to. You can also email me directly on roygilby@gmail.com if needs be.

Signed:

Roy Gilby
0 x

Maditay

Re: Vale: Kay Hayes (Iona)

Post by Maditay » 01 Sep 2019, 12:57

Roy thank you so much for letting us know this very sad news.

Iona is the heart of our community, everyone knew and loved her. She will be missed , please pass our condolences to her loved ones.

RIP Lady Iona
0 x

Thorns

Post by Thorns » 01 Sep 2019, 13:15

I am very saddened to hear of her passing. I only knew her online persona on NWN but still feel a great loss. My sincerest condolences.
0 x

Navarre

Post by Navarre » 01 Sep 2019, 14:50

Vale Iona, may Phaedros be waiting for you where ever you are.
0 x
'Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most'

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire » 01 Sep 2019, 15:23

Am truly sorry to hear this devistating news, may her family have my and my family's deepest condolencies ... The loss to Edon will be significant ...
0 x

Gotrek1966

Post by Gotrek1966 » 01 Sep 2019, 16:00

I don’t even have the words to describe how I’m feeling about this. This was news I never wanted to hear.
She was one of the most loved and the sweetest lady I have ever known, even if it was just in game.

Not having her around just feels wrong on so many levels.
You will never be forgotten Iona dear heart.

I would also like to thank you for letting us know and also please pass on my condolences to her family.
She will be missed by so many.

:(
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 01 Sep 2019, 18:22

Very sorry to hear that news. You only need to look at the module itself to see how revered Iona is and was in our community.

RIP :(
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Novoshijak

Post by Novoshijak » 01 Sep 2019, 20:32

:(

This is very sad news.

My condolences to her family and loved ones.

Words cannot adequately express how much she has contributed to this community. Her generosity and kindness will not be forgotten, and she will be terribly missed. :(

RIP
0 x

Gobarg

Post by Gobarg » 02 Sep 2019, 10:23

This news makes me so very sad but also a small smile through the tears as I remember all the wonderful time we spent playing and interacting in EDON. I remember jumping back into the game a few years ago and seeing no one else in the server other than the great lady herself busily crafting away. I spent the best part of a couple of hours just talking and using my GM powers to amuse her as she went about her tasks.
I never met her in person but I will miss her all the same.
I hope her friends and family know how much she was loved and admired.... Time for the tears now I guess.
A glass shall be raised in her memory.
Cheers and farewell Kaye.

As for the rest of you... You all have my undying love and best wishes. You are all still family no matter where you go or what you do.

From my self, Uncle and most of all GothMog
Much Love
0 x

Rothbart

Post by Rothbart » 02 Sep 2019, 13:01

Farewell. There will be a hole in the Underdark evermore.

Rothbart
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 02 Sep 2019, 14:01

Such terrible news. Thank you for passing on her wishes.

The server will never be the same.
0 x
Solo ranter.

southead

Post by southead » 02 Sep 2019, 14:14

Dear, dear Iona, you have left the greatest of marks on not only my heart but every player in EDON. You were the greatest crafter EDON has ever seen and your passion for the best and greatest saw you running the most profitable and widely used stores un EDON.

You were a walking library of knowledge about everything crafting and taught me everything I know. In your memory, I am inspired to take up the torch of your dream of reaching mythic status in every area of craft.

Most of all I will miss our mid-morning chats, our arrangements with the exchange of ingredients and your endless patience with my stupid questions.

I would love to either send some flowers to her funeral or donate to her chosen cause if that is her wish, Does anyone know when this is happening?

RIP Kay
0 x

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 02 Sep 2019, 14:20

Having trouble with words for this.

Iona's kindness and commitment towards our server was outstanding.

A statue will be placed next to Phaedros's in Loknar, and I'm considering memorialising her shop in some way.
0 x

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire » 02 Sep 2019, 15:48

I would ask that there is something a statue or memorial stone or something similiar in the trade skills hall so that even non-drow may pay respects too... After all trade skills was certainly her passion within the game...
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 02 Sep 2019, 17:08

Sapphire wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 15:48
I would ask that there is something a statue or memorial stone or something similiar in the trade skills hall so that even non-drow may pay respects too... After all trade skills was certainly her passion within the game...
Something in the Trade Hall would be fitting (as well as something beside Phaedros).
0 x
Solo ranter.

Novoshijak

Post by Novoshijak » 02 Sep 2019, 17:49

I thought I would grab these while they were relatively recent as a testament to her legacy....

To my knowledge Iona, Scarba, Tiree, Jura, Islay and Haforn were all level 20 across all trade skills... A legendary achievement.

0 x

Blaegor

Post by Blaegor » 03 Sep 2019, 16:35

Posting from Kat, Blaegor and little Blaegor

Iona your unwavering presence on the server and warm companionship with all who played on Edon over the years cannot be compared. You will be missed dearly as the cornerstone of our little community.

Sending our deepest sympathy to your loved ones who have been blessed with knowing you in person.

Vale Iona
0 x

Gotrek1966

Post by Gotrek1966 » 03 Sep 2019, 20:31

I have emailed Roy in regards to flowers or a donation to a cause and also asked about receiving a copy of her funeral program.
Personally I would love to have seen what our “Iona” looked like as I like many never got to meet her in person.

Was very hard to write that email :(
0 x

DoctorScientist

Post by DoctorScientist » 03 Sep 2019, 22:02

Rest in peace Iona :( Leggy and I would love to contribute to flowers or a donation.
0 x

Iona

Post by Iona » 04 Sep 2019, 09:56

Just a further update regarding Kay Hayes (Iona)....

Kay and her late husband Tony, made their own funeral arrangements many years ago. Kay's desire was to be cremated, and that there be no funeral service, and no flowers, etc. If you would like to make a donation in lieu of flowers, might I suggest a donation to her favourite charity - the RSPCA (Qld).

Regards,

Roy Gilby
0 x

Maditay

Post by Maditay » 04 Sep 2019, 11:56

For those that would like to donate, here is a linkie.

https://www.rspcaqld.org.au/donate/general-donations
0 x

LeFire

Post by LeFire » 05 Sep 2019, 13:21

Really sorry to hear about this. I remember always seeing her crafting away online when I used to be around more than 10 years ago. She was always there. My condolences.

==
Lei Shen Jian (the Swordsaint)
Law Straightblade
0 x

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 06 Sep 2019, 02:42

Iona was there even before I started playing (in 2004, when I was 7 years old) - I remember she was one of the first friends I made here along with Phaedros. Both of them offered me nothing but positivity, she was always happy to interact with me and had limitless patience with my often erratic behaviour (which was VERY prevalent during those early years), and still did even recently.
I regret being so busy recently that I'd missed a few messages from her - I enjoyed the challenge of making new character builds for her unique needs, especially the one for Islay.
She also encouraged and helped get me into crafting in the server... which has led to my love of crafting in real life too. I don't know if she was a crafter behind the screen too, but she sure helped create one by accident.

It took time to be able to write this post - this news has had me a total wreck for a few days. I'll miss her sorely, and so will we all. The server will simply never be the same without her.

0 x