what forums?

Want a new group or a setting changed, this would be a good place to ask.
User avatar
MUG
Posts: 95
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:57
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by MUG » 06 Nov 2015, 01:05

code of conduct. ;)
0 x

User avatar
MUG
Posts: 95
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:57
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by MUG » 06 Nov 2015, 02:02

Double post but anyway...


Flash games section.

PS: avatars need to be left hand side, that shit is just evil.

EDIT: Avatars fixed, if you still see then on right, refresh your cache, I had to on Chrome.
0 x

User avatar
Bicketybam
Posts: 447
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 18:45

Re: what forums?

Post by Bicketybam » 06 Nov 2015, 13:16

Something I read about on another forum. As we know the scourge of phpBB are spambots and dealing with them quick enough. On GON we were lucky that we had a lot of Moderators and Admins to deal with them even in the wee hours.

Anyway this one place I read about (though I can't seem to find where now) they made it that to join up it would cost you $1. Money goes to helping server costs and it had the bonus option of stopping spambots in their tracks. No $$$, no join, no spam.

Something to think about I think and it would only be a once off option.
0 x
Image

User avatar
MUG
Posts: 95
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:57
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by MUG » 06 Nov 2015, 13:52

Bicketybam wrote:Something I read about on another forum. As we know the scourge of phpBB are spambots and dealing with them quick enough. On GON we were lucky that we had a lot of Moderators and Admins to deal with them even in the wee hours.

Anyway this one place I read about (though I can't seem to find where now) they made it that to join up it would cost you $1. Money goes to helping server costs and it had the bonus option of stopping spambots in their tracks. No $$$, no join, no spam.

Something to think about I think and it would only be a once off option.
stop forum spam has plugins based around it and an api if you want to roll your own, but is not 100%.

Chucky and I used their site quite a bit to check on the questionable new posters at one stage at GON. (not sure about the other senior mods/mods)

Something like that could be helpful, but nothing beats human moderation.
0 x

User avatar
Spooler
Posts: 772
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 17:42

Re: what forums?

Post by Spooler » 06 Nov 2015, 15:52

MUG wrote:
Bicketybam wrote:Something I read about on another forum. As we know the scourge of phpBB are spambots and dealing with them quick enough. On GON we were lucky that we had a lot of Moderators and Admins to deal with them even in the wee hours.

Anyway this one place I read about (though I can't seem to find where now) they made it that to join up it would cost you $1. Money goes to helping server costs and it had the bonus option of stopping spambots in their tracks. No $$$, no join, no spam.

Something to think about I think and it would only be a once off option.
stop forum spam has plugins based around it and an api if you want to roll your own, but is not 100%.

Chucky and I used their site quite a bit to check on the questionable new posters at one stage at GON. (not sure about the other senior mods/mods)

Something like that could be helpful, but nothing beats human moderation.

Yea there's alot you can do with scripting and plug-ins but really just setting up some moderators would solve that problem.
I'm happy to take the 5AM-3PM "lurking on the forums for trash posts" job as I'm always up at that time for Uni stuff anyways and lurking on webpages is pretty much the only thing I do in the morning besides school work.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

User avatar
Shinanigans
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 15:28

Re: what forums?

Post by Shinanigans » 06 Nov 2015, 15:58

Lets start with some Enemy Territory forums, yeah?






:lol:
0 x

User avatar
kharis
Posts: 3083
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:59
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by kharis » 06 Nov 2015, 16:18

Spooler wrote:
MUG wrote:
Bicketybam wrote:Something I read about on another forum. As we know the scourge of phpBB are spambots and dealing with them quick enough. On GON we were lucky that we had a lot of Moderators and Admins to deal with them even in the wee hours.

Anyway this one place I read about (though I can't seem to find where now) they made it that to join up it would cost you $1. Money goes to helping server costs and it had the bonus option of stopping spambots in their tracks. No $$$, no join, no spam.

Something to think about I think and it would only be a once off option.
stop forum spam has plugins based around it and an api if you want to roll your own, but is not 100%.

Chucky and I used their site quite a bit to check on the questionable new posters at one stage at GON. (not sure about the other senior mods/mods)

Something like that could be helpful, but nothing beats human moderation.

Yea there's alot you can do with scripting and plug-ins but really just setting up some moderators would solve that problem.
I'm happy to take the 5AM-3PM "lurking on the forums for trash posts" job as I'm always up at that time for Uni stuff anyways and lurking on webpages is pretty much the only thing I do in the morning besides school work.
Plenty of ways to help with the bots. The odd one will always slip through but they can be banned easily enough :)
0 x

User avatar
Spooler
Posts: 772
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 17:42

Re: what forums?

Post by Spooler » 06 Nov 2015, 16:27

The last forum I ran I banned a huge range of eastern European and Turkish I.Ps and in a year I got a total of 3 bots that signed up and managed to post.

You can definitely cut down on the need for human moderators but you can never entirely eliminate it ... sadly.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

User avatar
tacitus42
Posts: 20
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 15:25
Location: rainy and/or sunny melbourne!
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by tacitus42 » 08 Nov 2015, 16:37

Angeredsoul wrote:but pretty much anything that isnt bright white that is currently burning my eye sockets out would be great ;)
omg yes please!
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197973681314]Image[/url]

User avatar
boars
Posts: 393
Joined: 08 Nov 2015, 11:33
Location: Q. OO-su-to-ra-re-ah
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by boars » 08 Nov 2015, 23:54

If you want a partial... temporary fix, you can do what I do and write your own stylish theme...
or just install the plugin and copy mine (easy!)

Bare in mind I only just started fooling about with it late tonight and it's still work in progress.
A lot of styles still aren't touched/correct but generally it's not as white :)

Instructions and code: http://codepen.io/boars/pen/zvmpGa

EDIT: and wow, just noticed I need to do some serious styling on my own posts, LOL.
Updates pending :P
0 x

User avatar
dotarray
Site Admin
Posts: 181
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 16:24

Re: what forums?

Post by dotarray » 09 Nov 2015, 00:43

tacitus42 wrote:
Angeredsoul wrote:but pretty much anything that isnt bright white that is currently burning my eye sockets out would be great ;)
omg yes please!
That'd be pretty high on the priority list this week when Punkley's back from Tokyo (um, after putting this week's episode together, anyway).

There might even be a light/dark option, because the standard Player Attack design will still be pretty white-based...
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

User avatar
Makena
Posts: 1222
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:44

Re: what forums?

Post by Makena » 09 Nov 2015, 09:08

In terms of moderation, I can't speak for the whole moderator team from the GON forums, but I imagine some/all of us would happily help out in that regard over here, I feel we've all proven ourselves to be trustworthy in that position.

Also happy to just kick back and be a member though, if you guys want to keep it within the current Player Attack team
0 x

User avatar
kharis
Posts: 3083
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:59
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2015, 09:12

you just want to make a new "Who is your favourite mod and why is it Makena?" thread
1 x

User avatar
Venom
Posts: 20
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 10:01
Location: Radelaide

Re: what forums?

Post by Venom » 09 Nov 2015, 09:30

Makena wrote:In terms of moderation, I can't speak for the whole moderator team from the GON forums, but I imagine some/all of us would happily help out in that regard over here, I feel we've all proven ourselves to be trustworthy in that position.

Also happy to just kick back and be a member though, if you guys want to keep it within the current Player Attack team

Well I remember Kingsley posting that if you were a mod on the GoN forums to contact him and he will grant you mod here too. Dunno if thats still OK though or if they now have enough.
0 x
Previously Instinx from GON!

Image

User avatar
tacitus42
Posts: 20
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 15:25
Location: rainy and/or sunny melbourne!
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by tacitus42 » 09 Nov 2015, 09:59

boars wrote:If you want a partial... temporary fix, you can do what I do and write your own stylish theme...
or just install the plugin and copy mine (easy!)
Whoa this is cool. I've never used stylish before despite always having it installed. that code stuff is too complex for me but your instructions were perfect.
Might I ask, what exactly is wrong with it? It looks great to me, the only white I see is in the comment boxes where you enter text.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197973681314]Image[/url]

User avatar
Mythor
Posts: 1500
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 16:48
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by Mythor » 09 Nov 2015, 11:43

The "The team" link at the bottom of each page shows who is currently on the moderator list. It's just dotarray, Punkley and Chucky thus far. Everyone's still on their best behaviour so far though and many of the bots haven't found the place yet. Probably better to pick and choose as needed? There aren't quite so many places to patrol here.

I've also been assuming moderators and such are taking a backseat to getting the basics sorted out. If you were waiting for me to explicitly volunteer, dotarray... :P
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

User avatar
boars
Posts: 393
Joined: 08 Nov 2015, 11:33
Location: Q. OO-su-to-ra-re-ah
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by boars » 09 Nov 2015, 12:53

tacitus42 wrote:
boars wrote:If you want a partial... temporary fix, you can do what I do and write your own stylish theme...
or just install the plugin and copy mine (easy!)
Whoa this is cool. I've never used stylish before despite always having it installed. that code stuff is too complex for me but your instructions were perfect.
Might I ask, what exactly is wrong with it? It looks great to me, the only white I see is in the comment boxes where you enter text.
Thanks for the positive feedback

Well when I first started it was a little less done.

Having said that there still are quite a few things...

- user profile area
- notifications areas (ie such as making all topics as read or viewing drop down thread subscription notifications)
- haven't looked at a bunch of other pages such as faq etc.
- icons, images, buttons, emotes etc have all not been looked at
- polish

I'll probably add a JavaScript layer for myself with tampermonkey (great extension if you have any js skills) that'll allow me to switch between themes
Last edited by boars on 09 Nov 2015, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
Chucky
Posts: 111
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 17:42
Location: Bris-Vegas!
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by Chucky » 09 Nov 2015, 12:55

Mythor wrote:The "The team" link at the bottom of each page shows who is currently on the moderator list. It's just dotarray, Punkley and Chucky thus far.
The list is slowly growing :D
0 x
Image

User avatar
dotarray
Site Admin
Posts: 181
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 16:24

Re: what forums?

Post by dotarray » 09 Nov 2015, 13:37

Mythor wrote:I've also been assuming moderators and such are taking a backseat to getting the basics sorted out. If you were waiting for me to explicitly volunteer, dotarray... :P
Yeah yeah, you're green now too :P
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

User avatar
Mythor
Posts: 1500
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 16:48
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by Mythor » 09 Nov 2015, 13:41

Oh hey now I have a Warn User button. *warns dotarray* :P
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

User avatar
kharis
Posts: 3083
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:59
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2015, 13:48

I would volunteer but then I would probably go mad with power :twisted:
0 x

User avatar
Sathias
Posts: 1861
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 16:59
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by Sathias » 09 Nov 2015, 13:51

Me trying to resist pressing the warn button

Image
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

User avatar
Chucky
Posts: 111
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 17:42
Location: Bris-Vegas!
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by Chucky » 09 Nov 2015, 13:57

Mythor wrote:Oh hey now I have a Warn User button. *warns dotarray* :P
Welcome to the Mod Team Mythor! The old crew is slowly coming together :P

I think I have about 1-2 more users to invite, and then I think the team will be pretty much complete.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Spooler
Posts: 772
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 17:42

Re: what forums?

Post by Spooler » 09 Nov 2015, 14:22

I want to be green, then I could sing along with Kermit !
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

User avatar
MuscularTeeth
Posts: 582
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 12:28
Contact:

Re: what forums?

Post by MuscularTeeth » 09 Nov 2015, 14:25

i put it in another post, but i asked for an art thread for my art (and anyone elses i suppose). and id like something to do with woodworking / technical area. so i can show my doors and windows and stuff.


and great to see the community just shifting from one place to another as opposed to disbanding.
1 x

Post Reply