Doom Open Beta

The question: First or third person?
The answer: *boom* Headshot!
phylum

Doom Open Beta

Post by phylum » 15 Apr 2016, 17:51

It's live now. Anyone else playing?

It's alright I guess. Not what I want, but it's a bit of a laugh. RL is pretty underpowered, to the point where I've hit 2 direct rockets on people in a fight and still died to shotgun.

Anyway if you want some games this weekend add me on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Phylum919
0 x

boars

Re: Doom Open Beta

Post by boars » 17 Apr 2016, 17:01

Yeah, those steam reviews aren't exactly glowing are they :\
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 17 Apr 2016, 17:19

Pretty underwhelmed by what I played :-/
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

DedZeppelin

Post by DedZeppelin » 17 Apr 2016, 17:43

I have nothing good to say about the time I have spent on the beta. I kept getting melee one hit from miles away, and my hit rego was all over the place too. I'd be directly hitting, and unloading on people, doing 0 damage. Other times I'd think there was no way i hit someone, and end up one hitting them for 100%...... The graphics and animation are terrible also.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 17 Apr 2016, 18:19

Sounds like id's lost their magic big time.

Pretty underwhelming open beta weekend for me... I didn't enjoy Battleborn's beta the last time I played it and this time was more of the same, Overwatch isn't my cup of tea, and the reception for Doom's open beta make's me glad I didn't download it.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

phylum

Post by phylum » 17 Apr 2016, 22:11

As a Quake regular I have a lot of strong opinions on the direction of the game but even looking at it as intended, a casual-friendly game for fun pubs with no competitive element, I have some major gripes.

First off, the super shotgun is too powerful. Holy shit it's so stupid. I'm guessing they had to make the gun better at medium range, because with the melee kills there's no reason to use it up close. I found myself losing ridiculous fights when I was using the rocket launcher. At least twice I'd hit 2 direct rockets on a guy as he's coming towards me with SSG and still die. Nothing fun about that.

The rockets are bad. They're so weak. The most fun gun in the game shouldn't take 3 direct hits to kill most of the time. They should get rid of the SSG a buff rocket directs a little imo. It's a dangerous slope though, because the movement is quite stiff and if they make RL too powerful it will be way too dominant.

The Vortex Rifle (railgun) is poorly balanced too. Given the weak rockets, I have no idea why you're allowed to 1-hit-kill with it, even if it requires charging. We decided being able to kill a fresh spawn in 1 hit with the railgun was bad during Quake 3 in the mid 2000s. This is a step back and pandering to l33t snipar culture or something.

6v6 TDM with loadouts is bad. It will never balance well. Given the poor sounds and sprawling maps to support that many per side, you're just constantly killed from some random direction by a dude you had no idea about. I'm not saying loadouts can't work in Doom, but they need to rethink TDM a bit. Warpath makes more sense, but it would work even better if you split the spawns to specific areas or something.

All in all this game is dull because the fighting is dull. You walk into an encounter, and as long as you have the stack and the right gun out, the better aimer wins. There isn't a lot to do during a fight other than aim. Compare it to the movement in a game like Quake 3/Quake Live where dodging is essential - being able to avoid taking damage is just as important as dishing it out. Here there are some elements of that, but it's mostly aim. Look at this short Quake Live clip:

Cooller's dodge is amazing, he moves back and forward in an unexpected way and uses the geometry of the map to pull his opponent's shot off and win the fight from nowhere. That kind of skilled fighting isn't possible in Doom.

Sorry for the long post. Basically to sum up there are a lot of elitist assholes YELLING about how bad this game is because of loadouts, or the speed, or the lack of gfx settings (lol). Those people are complaining about the wrong things though. id are trying to make a no-esport casually appealing fun game that everyone can play and enjoy like it's 1999. The problem is that the game just doesn't work that well. If I was put in charge of this game tomorrow I wouldn't even know where to start with fixing it up.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 18 Apr 2016, 23:37

Well then, bargain binning this if the SP is even worth looking at... which it probably isn't. :P

Thanks for the comprehensive thoughts.
0 x