Star Wars Battlefront

The question: First or third person?
The answer: *boom* Headshot!
LordPorksword

Star Wars Battlefront

Post by LordPorksword » 18 Nov 2015, 09:20

Anyone playing?
As much as I want to hate it for a few major flaws I just can't help but enjoy it so far! Must be the Star Wars fanboy in me.

Real quick rundown...

Cons:
Only two players can team up...WTF! Seriously they need to fix this crap!
No server browser...WTF! Seriously they need to fix this crap!
Wanting to play Supremacy but not being able to find a server...or finding one with not enough players...so the server wont start... :roll:
Ars3holes shooting you just before you activate your Hero powerup...daaaamn!
Some game play aspects do feel 'consolized'.

The good:
It's Star Wars!
The map visuals are pretty damn good. Especially the Tatooine maps. Looking out across the desert, just outside of the millennium falcon's hangar is superb!
Gameplay seems pretty good so far. Although one of the Hoth maps can be a slaughterhouse if you're on the Rebel side in the Supremacy game mode. (well maybe it was the team I was with)
Shooting dirty rebel scum is always a treat!

Supremacy game mode is my favourite so far. Basically capture all the checkpoints in a row. If all are captured the round ends.
You can team up with a mate and go kill waves of AI in one of the game modes which could be fun.
0 x

Makena

Re: Star Wars Battlefront

Post by Makena » 18 Nov 2015, 09:24

I really enjoyed the beta, didn't love but didn't hate the 2 people partner system, worked for the somewhat frantic gameplay where bigger squads could somewhat unbalance it.

And I don't think that, or a server browser, are things that'll be changed/added.

Don't have my key for it yet, looking forward to getting it so I can play the full release. If I get 20-30 hours out of it I'll be more than happy with my purchase. I'll add more in the next couple of days once I get my key :lol:
0 x

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 18 Nov 2015, 09:28

I didn't understand the partner system at all when I played the beta. It either wasn't explained or I missed the explanation.

Overall it felt very Star Wars; great if you're looking for a fix.
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 18 Nov 2015, 09:33

I committed sin by pre-ordering...and got early access.
So far I can say I haven't regretted my purchase. ;)

If you don't partner up before a match (sometimes?) it'll dynamically partner you with another player which can be handy to get straight back into the action. That said though, I have 3 other mates who I'd love to kill lots of rebel scum together! It really sucks that this ain't possible!
Last edited by LordPorksword on 18 Nov 2015, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 18 Nov 2015, 09:34

Nacimota wrote:I didn't understand the partner system at all when I played the beta. It either wasn't explained or I missed the explanation.

Overall it felt very Star Wars; great if you're looking for a fix.
2 man squad, if you didn't join the server in a premade squad it'd (eventually) randomly put you with someone, and you can spawn on them, and copy their loadout.
LordPorksword wrote:I committed sin by pre-ordering...and got early access.
So far I can say I haven't regretted my purchase. ;)
I preordered from GMG for a price I found acceptable, but don't get early key/US launch date key, have to wait till the 19th
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 18 Nov 2015, 09:34

I suspected as such from your comments. I opened my wallet for a good'ol EA raping!
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 18 Nov 2015, 10:05

You're probably finding a lack of players partly due to the fact that you're playing via early access when a lot of people (daresay the majority) haven't got the game yet. Hopefully that'll improve by the weekend.

Like Mak, I haven't got my GMG key yet.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Disco

Post by Disco » 18 Nov 2015, 10:46

I saw it for $50 the other day and still didn't think it was worth trying - I'll wait until I get some reviews after it's fully released before deciding
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

kharis

Post by kharis » 18 Nov 2015, 10:53

Too many other things to occupy my time atm. Might get it one day
1 x

lucassot

Post by lucassot » 18 Nov 2015, 18:04

kharis wrote:Too many other things to occupy my time atm. Might get it one day
+1 same as me. And I'm a full Star Wars head too. We'll see next year what the go is!
0 x

korbain

Post by korbain » 18 Nov 2015, 23:34

I'll prob look at getting it early next year, i do want to see some reviews/feedback first.

I got bf4 and cs for my mp fix atm :)

Truth be told all my gaming is fallout 4 though haha
0 x

Duke

Post by Duke » 18 Nov 2015, 23:51

Pre-ordered a hard copy from OGS in the UK. It was dispatched on the 17th, so if I'm lucky I might have it late next week. Like others though, got plenty of other games to keep me amused in the meantime.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 19 Nov 2015, 09:58

As said above, I think people forget that you can still "squad" up with I think a max of 4 people (as long as they're on your friends list). Then you just select which of member of the squad to make your partner and the other two do the same. After that, the leader of the squad can then start the search for a server. This is from memory though so I'll have to double check when I get in.

Still waiting for my key from GMG so will get in once I get it. I think it'll get busier over the next few days with more people getting access to it. I hesitated a little, but got it for $64 AU, which I think is reasonable. If I had found it for $50 AU like disco mentioned (which I still haven't been able to find), it would've been an even more of an instant purchase for me.
Last edited by Disruptor4 on 19 Nov 2015, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 19 Nov 2015, 10:43

Disruptor4 wrote:As said above, I think people forget that you can still "squad" up with I think a max of 4 people (as long as they're on your friends list). Then you just select which of member of the squad to make your partner and the other two do the same.
I didn't know this so thanks for the heads up! I'll look into that. :thumbup:

Played quite a few more games yesterday arvo and I'll have to say that despite it's shortcomings of the 'consoleness' with game play ,the fun factor is still very much there for me so I'm really enjoying it.
Being Star Wars themed it's always good to give a bit of banter every now and then. Dropping comments like "Take that you dirty rebel scum!" or "Go home Imperialist dogs!" after which, keeping to standards of modern multiplayer gaming with all these young whippersnappers, I get called a faggot. They may be younger and faster but their creative retort still needs lots of work!
Maybe I should change my direction and say "I'm here to hook up with Leah! Out of my way young nerdy Star Wars fanboies!" :hand:
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 19 Nov 2015, 10:46

LordPorksword wrote:
Disruptor4 wrote:As said above, I think people forget that you can still "squad" up with I think a max of 4 people (as long as they're on your friends list). Then you just select which of member of the squad to make your partner and the other two do the same.
I didn't know this so thanks for the heads up! I'll look into that. :thumbup:
No worries. Just added this to my post:
After that, the leader of the squad can then start the search for a server. This is from memory though so I'll have to double check when I get in.
0 x

kablekill

Star Wars Battlefront (PC)

Post by kablekill » 19 Nov 2015, 20:27

So Star Wars Battlefront,is anyone playing the game?

Apart form looking good, does the game do enough to to hold your attention, and long term do you feel that it will be worth it, if so why?
1 x

korbain

Re: Star Wars Battlefront (PC)

Post by korbain » 19 Nov 2015, 21:46

kablekill wrote:So Star Wars Battlefront,is anyone playing the game?

Apart form looking good, does the game do enough to to hold your attention, and long term do you feel that it will be worth it, if so why?
Yep im waiting on these answers. I have a feeling this game won't last long once the whole star wars gimmick wears off. I hope im wrong, there is a decent variety of gameplay types, but usually only one or 2 of them are popular. I love battlefront as well, i just didn't get the same feeling watching some of the stuff i saw in this.

In the end if a few of my mates get it and tell to get i probably will :p
0 x

R3-5eNn

Post by R3-5eNn » 19 Nov 2015, 22:35

There were heaps of people playing it.

I enjoyed it for the few hours I played it but I can't really see it staying popular for long.
0 x
Call me whatever you want, Resenn, R3, Senn, Rez, or even Raisin

Makena

Post by Makena » 20 Nov 2015, 09:17

Got my key this morning, downloading it today ready to play over the weekend.

Honestly even if I only play it for 10-20 hours, I'll consider that having got my moneys worth, but I'm also the kind of guy ok with paying $60 for a 15 hour single player campaign lol
0 x

LordPorksword

Re: Star Wars Battlefront (PC)

Post by LordPorksword » 20 Nov 2015, 09:32

kablekill wrote:Apart form looking good, does the game do enough to to hold your attention, and long term do you feel that it will be worth it, if so why?
I'd say think of it as a 'streamlined' game play version of Battlefield. If something like that tickles your fancy then I'd recommend a purchase. If it doesn't then either don't buy or wait until it becomes more reasonably priced. I could put the game play down to purely a run and gun. If you're happy to jump in for an hour of fun, frantic game play where you're blasting everything in sight then it's for you. Also of you're a eye candy gfx gamer then it's definitely for you! The visuals for all the maps is top shelf, especially the Tatooine and Endor maps.

Vehicles I personally find are 'meh'. The flight model for the flying ships is waaaaay to simplified for my liking. I even feels more basic that Battlefield. Really don't like the fact that, say, you're in your Tie fighter and you want to bail out so you hit the e key and then you're suddenly on the ground. You're better off just crashing it into some enemy and respawning as it doesn't eat up a ticket, like it does in Battlefield... They definitely designed vehicles around our console brethren. The exception of the rule for vehicles is the AT-AT. I find it a lot o fun stomping around the battlefield blasting dirty rebel scum.
I'm also not sure if you can tag enemy(honestly, haven't looked at the key bindings) but I have also found that the lack of spotting enemies makes it hard for doing infantry strafing runs in Tie fighters or X-Wings.

Maps wise, they all feel pretty good to me except the Hoth map. If you're playing the Rebels in Supremacy and you don't have a very strong team then it'll be a rather quick match. Over the 12+ games I've played on Hoth as the Rebels, we've only won it once. The home terrain on the rebel side is too flat and open making it easy for the Imperial dogs to pick you off.

I feel the lack of a true squad will hurt this game in the end. Having squads allows for more tactical play rather than just running into the firefight hoping to get kills before being killed. Said tactical play, I believe, would give the game a bit more depth which it's lacking. Tactical play like this would also attract more serious players making the game more popular in the end. DICE should really address this in one of the future expansion packs, especially when they're charging $60 for the season pass.

Now that all said, I've pumped about 4-5 hours into the game so far and I'm still eager for more. The simplified game play hasn't worn off for me and I know that when my mates get it, we'll use Skype to work as a squad which will add that extra depth it needs. For my run 'n' gun tastes I'll be playing it for quite some time.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Nov 2015, 19:55

This is the gaming equivalent to being with someone who's hot and always up for sex but doesn't work with you in bed and is pretty dim in the head. After a short while, the relationship feels pretty empty... but you can't stop continuing on.

I've been playing this at my bro's place... I was a bit iffy as to whether I wanted to put much into the game so I gave him the copy I bought. Good thing that I'm a bargain hunter... between a price reduction refund and Amex's $50 off... this game essentially cost me $17. As simplified as Diablo 3 is... that game has got more content and depth.
Last edited by Mugsy on 20 Nov 2015, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Nov 2015, 20:13

Yeah, this is how I feel about the game...

And considering they've announced sequels already in the works, I'm concerned about the longevity of this game before the servers go dead.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Matty

Post by Matty » 20 Nov 2015, 20:27

The biggest problem Battlefront faces right now is that they are battling play time for the other major releases.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

kablekill

Post by kablekill » 20 Nov 2015, 22:29

Some interesting opinions for this game. I think I will sit out at this time. While I did enjoy BF3, I picked up BF4 and played for no lest than 4h 12m total, then just gave up.

Might give it a go later or at a mates place.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Nov 2015, 23:09

kablekill wrote:Might give it a go later or at a mates place.
Good idea. In particular, if you are after a BF type experience, give Supremacy and Walker Assault the most time. Both currently have a 4 map rotation which does make it easy to learn the maps but with limited weapon variety, it gets stale pretty quickly.

I think they needed classes for this game. Would have made it a little more interesting to get into. As it is, it's very dumbed down.
0 x
CherryRed wrote: