Star Wars Battlefront

The question: First or third person?
The answer: *boom* Headshot!
korbain

Re: Star Wars Battlefront

Post by korbain » 07 Dec 2015, 14:03

DICE/EA have made some big mistakes, mainly the ones you said. I know people even on console that have traded it in already, there's only one real game type that everyone plays and it only has like 4 maps or something lol the fuck?! They're releasing new maps soon though i read, but only if you have the season pass? So they probably cut them to force people into buying that!

So disappointing :( What a massive missed opportunity. Im a massive battlefront fan and so are a few of my friends, when they tell me its bad it must be lol
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 07 Dec 2015, 14:09

Yes, it's sad to play a fresh new Star Wars game and 2 weeks after release you have to sit at a main menu for 10-15 minutes jumping in and out of empty servers hoping you'll get into a populated one.
I agree with you Ralph, I ain't touching DLC until they fix this by adding a server browser and more 'free' maps. It really does now feel like they gave us half a game for full price and now want to charge us full price again to get the other half of the game...
Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy it when I am actually able to play it. Why didn't they just follow the good parts of BF4 and make it like that...rather than try and be different and break everything that was good with BF4...

Also not too sure what's up with this partner system. Joined with a mate, set as party and partner. 5 minutes in he turns to a green colour and some random becomes my 'yellow' partner. After that my mate can spawn on me but I can only spawn on this random yellow partner...WTF?
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 07 Dec 2015, 14:22

Everyone gets the 5th map for free this week (Jakku, preorders had it a week ago), but still will only give 5 maps for the most walker assault. I've had my fun with it, will play the free DLC, but I don't expect it'll hold me for that long. Enjoyed what it was, feel I got my $60 worth, but I really don't think I'll get premium.
1 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 Dec 2015, 14:33

Meanwhile, we've gotten a UT2004 server up and running for some community games.
Last edited by Mugsy on 07 Dec 2015, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Disco

Post by Disco » 07 Dec 2015, 15:31

Given how much I enjoyed the older Starwars games, it makes me sad to hear all of this :(
1 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 Dec 2015, 16:34

Disco wrote:Given how much I enjoyed the older Starwars games, it makes me sad to hear all of this :(
Same. There was a lot of effort put into making the game very immersive but the content and mechanics just don't do much to extend longevity.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Matty

Post by Matty » 07 Dec 2015, 17:21

Battlefront's problem was that is was released right in the middle of some super massive releases. They either needed to release a month earlier or wait a little
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

DedZeppelin

Post by DedZeppelin » 07 Dec 2015, 17:41

I loved it at first, but that wore off pretty fast. Spending 3+ hours looking for a game with other people in it kinda takes the shine off it. It is with out a doubt the most disappointing game I've ever bought. When i finally do get in a game it's in the US, and I get 250+ ping, and it's a waste of time. Such a shame, because it looks beautiful, and could have been something special.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 Dec 2015, 18:19

The other thing that is ruining the game is that those who bought the premium edition got Han Solo's gun immediately. That thing is the most OP gun ever! So those of us who play properly to unlock weapons and star cards end up getting frustrated and the fun just diminishes.
1 x
CherryRed wrote:

Duke

Post by Duke » 07 Dec 2015, 23:09

That does suck, Mugsy. But it can be got in good time. For instance, I'm a pretty crappy player but I still managed to earn Han's pistol in just over 30 hours. So I'd gather the average player could have it after 20. Favourite game modes for me are Cargo, Drop Zone then Supremacy.

The one thing that sucks the most (like everyone mentions) is the lack of server browser, that will eventually be this games downfall if they don't address it.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 Dec 2015, 23:28

Well, it'll be good for my bro. I certainly can't slug through 30hrs of the game just to get that Han Solo blaster... I only got to rank 11 and a good thing I installed the game on my bro's account. He gets to start from rank 11 and do the remainder of the unlocks with his mate. I'm sure their shenanigans will make the process bearable.

Meanwhile, the peeps here have got me hooked on UT2004 again.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

lord_lobster

Post by lord_lobster » 08 Dec 2015, 01:01

I liked it too, but it got old very fast, feels like they took out most of the maps to be sold as DLC later.
0 x

Blueyy

Post by Blueyy » 08 Dec 2015, 01:30

Its pretty fun when it's running well and you can find a game. I've given up on it already though, no server browser and to few maps has killed it for me... That and the terrible frame rate drops
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 08 Dec 2015, 16:10

Man, I don't know why everyone is complaining - I mean sure there are 4 maps... but the game is honestly A LOT OF FUN TO PLAY.

Yes, it would be good for more maps etc, but seriously, where people are saying there arent enough game modes? You kidding? Have you bothered to look beyond the 2 game modes and try some of the others out?? Games for them are sometimes hard to find, but I blame the fact people just want to complain rather than extend beyond the 2 game modes they're accustomed to.

I've unlocked all the guns, and to be honest, there's only slight differences between them - the game is pretty evenly balanced and I think that is what makes it so much fun to play, it's also easy for the less experienced player to pick up and do moderately well.
Mugsy wrote:The other thing that is ruining the game is that those who bought the premium edition got Han Solo's gun immediately. That thing is the most OP gun ever! So those of us who play properly to unlock weapons and star cards end up getting frustrated and the fun just diminishes.
That's what I thought, but it's not. It's just as OP as any other gun in the game. In the end it just comes down to the kind of fire-type you like to play with, or the look or sound of the gun. There's also the fact that guns appear to work better for other people than they do you. I run in to the same issue with infantry turrets, other peoples placements seem to do better than mine haha.

The other thing I seem to discover is that playing in 3rd person, autoaim works a little better than in FPS mode. Being in 3rd person plays a little more arcadey than in FPS mode - and my game scores were evidence.

I think they've done well with the game, my only gripe is not enough maps - but not enough maps is not a good enough reason for me to want to return the game. I also don't like how they've advertised drakku as 2 new maps, when really it's 1 new map but because that 1 new map will be in Walker Assault they deem that 2 different maps.. so where they say the Season Pass will include 16 new maps.. do they really mean 4?

And to be honest, it's not just Star Wars Battlefront guilty of this... most AAA games these days are doing it and this post sums it up pretty well;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=366
0 x

DedZeppelin

Post by DedZeppelin » 08 Dec 2015, 16:15

Dexterians wrote:Man, I don't know why everyone is complaining - I mean sure there are 4 maps... but the game is honestly A LOT OF FUN TO PLAY.

Yes, it would be good for more maps etc, but seriously, where people are saying there arent enough game modes? You kidding? Have you bothered to look beyond the 2 game modes and try some of the others out?? Games for them are sometimes hard to find, but I blame the fact people just want to complain rather than extend beyond the 2 game modes they're accustomed to.

I've unlocked all the guns, and to be honest, there's only slight differences between them - the game is pretty evenly balanced and I think that is what makes it so much fun to play, it's also easy for the less experienced player to pick up and do moderately well.
Mugsy wrote:The other thing that is ruining the game is that those who bought the premium edition got Han Solo's gun immediately. That thing is the most OP gun ever! So those of us who play properly to unlock weapons and star cards end up getting frustrated and the fun just diminishes.
That's what I thought, but it's not. It's just as OP as any other gun in the game. In the end it just comes down to the kind of fire-type you like to play with, or the look or sound of the gun. There's also the fact that guns appear to work better for other people than they do you. I run in to the same issue with infantry turrets, other peoples placements seem to do better than mine haha.

The other thing I seem to discover is that playing in 3rd person, autoaim works a little better than in FPS mode. Being in 3rd person plays a little more arcadey than in FPS mode - and my game scores were evidence.

I think they've done well with the game, my only gripe is not enough maps - but not enough maps is not a good enough reason for me to want to return the game. I also don't like how they've advertised drakku as 2 new maps, when really it's 1 new map but because that 1 new map will be in Walker Assault they deem that 2 different maps.. so where they say the Season Pass will include 16 new maps.. do they really mean 4?

And to be honest, it's not just Star Wars Battlefront guilty of this... most AAA games these days are doing it and this post sums it up pretty well;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=366

It's a bit hard to "look beyond the 2 game modes and try some of the others out" when NO ONE is playing them. I queue for the other modes, and get in completely empty servers.
1 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 08 Dec 2015, 16:50

Dexterians wrote:Yes, it would be good for more maps etc, but seriously, where people are saying there arent enough game modes? You kidding? Have you bothered to look beyond the 2 game modes and try some of the others out?? Games for them are sometimes hard to find, but I blame the fact people just want to complain rather than extend beyond the 2 game modes they're accustomed to.
I'm not using my somewhat limited gaming time sitting at a menu waiting to see if I can get a game, I've wasted a couple of hours sitting in empty queues already in this game, I'm not adding more to it. The gameplay is a lot of fun, but the limitations already discussed in this thread prevent this game being a long term proposition.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 Dec 2015, 16:51

My complaint isn't too few game modes. It's too many. Would have preferred they stick to the two main modes, maybe flesh out Squadron a bit more too since squadron uses the same maps as walker and supremacy, and have a larger map count.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 08 Dec 2015, 16:58

I guess we've just got to wait for the DLC - but it's sad that AAA games these days are releasing demo's and we must buy season passes to unlock the full game. People waste hours in CoD and Battlefield, and Battlefront is just another one of them titles.. and CoD is more guilty of rehashing the same old crap and people think it's new!

If i had to choose, I'm going to stick with Battlefront.

DedZeppelin wrote:It's a bit hard to "look beyond the 2 game modes and try some of the others out" when NO ONE is playing them. I queue for the other modes, and get in completely empty servers.
Depends on the time and day you play.. but in saying that.. you can't blame the game for that - that's the players.
Mugsy wrote:My complaint isn't too few game modes. It's too many. Would have preferred they stick to the two main modes, maybe flesh out Squadron a bit more too since squadron uses the same maps as walker and supremacy, and have a larger map count.
Nah, I do enjoy having a bash of the other game modes when games are available.
Makena wrote:I'm not using my somewhat limited gaming time sitting at a menu waiting to see if I can get a game, I've wasted a couple of hours sitting in empty queues already in this game, I'm not adding more to it. The gameplay is a lot of fun, but the limitations already discussed in this thread prevent this game being a long term proposition.
I disagree - it has as much long term proposition as that of CoD or Battlefield. TBH, it's also more balanced and even than CoD and Battlefield too - and the arcadey style they've gone for means it's more enjoying for hardcore and non-hardcore players alike.
Last edited by Dexterians on 08 Dec 2015, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 08 Dec 2015, 17:05

Dexterians wrote:you can't blame the game for that - that's the players.
The game doesn't facilitate making it easy to play the other modes, I can make a play list of modes to play, it's 1 at a time. Nor can I play a random mode, and have the game throw me at a mode that's waiting on players.
Dexterians wrote:I disagree - it has as much long term proposition as that of CoD or Battlefield. TBH, it's even more balanced and even than CoD and Battlefield.
My 500 hours in BF4 strongly disagree.
1 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 08 Dec 2015, 17:06

Makena wrote:My 500 hours in BF4 strongly disagree.
That's my point as mentioned before;

Dexterians wrote:People waste hours in CoD and Battlefield replaying the same old crap and don't complain, Battlefront is just another one of them titles.. and CoD is more guilty of rehashing the same old crap and people think it's new! Heck, I think they still use the same engine and maps from MW2 don't they? They've just reskinned maps to fit the theme of the title of whatever the theme of that CoD is haha
Last edited by Dexterians on 08 Dec 2015, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 08 Dec 2015, 17:09

Dexterians wrote:
Makena wrote:My 500 hours in BF4 strongly disagree.
That's my point.
Your point is a game that launched with 10 maps with every mode available on them, is as weak as a game with 4 maps?

Yeah ok.

BF4 simply had more options for playing without it being repetitive, playing conquest for example, you'll go through 10 maps before repeating, it'd take an evening of gaming to get through them all, or on a large ticket server you won't even see a repeat in a couple of hours of gaming. This is vs 45-60 minutes top to get through all 4 walker assault maps.

EDIT: If you could get games for all the modes in Battlefront, then this wouldn't matter as much, but you can't. So this is a comparison of my experiences in the game. Yes battlefront has more modes, but that's pointless if you never see them.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 08 Dec 2015, 17:14

Anyway whatever, agree to disagree.

My advice to anyone looking to get more than 10-15 hours from a game, don't buy Battlefront.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 08 Dec 2015, 17:15

More options?? Sounds like you're confusing maps for options. Options to me would be to see BF4 with as many game modes as Battlefront.. which it doesn't. It, as you've stated, has 6 more maps on rotation. I'm not going to argue that there isn't a lack of maps in Star Wars, because there is - I'm just saying people in their glass CoD or Battlefield houses are throwing stones..

It would have been good to see at least 10 maps in Battlefront... but unfortunately we've got to wait for DLC to see it... and you know what? It's been said many times before - most AAA titles these days are doing it, giving us a BETA/DEMO and expecting us to pay a season pass to unlock the full game.
Makena wrote:EDIT: If you could get games for all the modes in Battlefront, then this wouldn't matter as much, but you can't. So this is a comparison of my experiences in the game. Yes battlefront has more modes, but that's pointless if you never see them.
Again, you can't blame the game - that's player controlled. But it would be cool if they had a "random" playlist mode where it mixed and matched game types so as to force players to try other game modes.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 08 Dec 2015, 17:18

Dexterians wrote:It would have been good to see at least 10 maps in Battlefront... but unfortunately we've got to wait for DLC to see it... and you know what? It's been said many times before - most AAA titles these days are doing it, giving us a BETA/DEMO and expecting us to pay a season pass to unlock the full game.
BF4 is hardly an old game, it's part of the DLC era of AAA games, every DLC added 4 maps with all the modes/new modes, Battlefront looks like it'll add a single map/world with each DLC.
Dexterians wrote:Again, you can't blame the game - that's player controlled.
Makena wrote:The game doesn't facilitate making it easy to play the other modes, I can make a play list of modes to play, it's 1 at a time. Nor can I play a random mode, and have the game throw me at a mode that's waiting on players.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 08 Dec 2015, 17:22

Makena wrote:BF4 is hardly an old game, it's part of the DLC era of AAA games, every DLC added 4 maps with all the modes/new modes, Battlefront looks like it'll add a single map/world with each DLC.
As far as 2015 is concerned that's old. If BF4 were released in 2015 it would probably have the same issue we have these days with AAA titles, Demo's to the Season Pass full game.

Have you seen CoD? CoD literally has the same freaking maps on rotation since MW2! They just give the maps the Lucas treatmeant by adding a few things here and there to make it look a little less barren and more cluttered with crap relevant to whatever the theme of the CoD title is. No one says a thing... Star Wars releases 4 maps and people whinge they are playing the same 4 maps (granted, 4 maps is quite rubbish)... let alone the same 10 maps they've been playing for the past 10 years.. and Battlefield is guilty of this too.
Dexterians wrote:Again, you can't blame the game - that's player controlled.
Makena wrote:The game doesn't facilitate making it easy to play the other modes, I can make a play list of modes to play, it's 1 at a time. Nor can I play a random mode, and have the game throw me at a mode that's waiting on players.
And I agreed with you on that note.

Although that said, the new Battlefront game mode (Turning Point) is great fun - it's a shame it's only 1 map though :/

This game is not lacking in ANYTHING other than maps (and perhaps a "random" mode as you mentioned), but that's because they're going with the same release model that most AAA games of 2015 are doing - which is bullpoop and annoying! But to go as far as to say it's not worth it or not playable nor does it have replayability? I strongly disagree.
0 x