Star Wars Battlefront

The question: First or third person?
The answer: *boom* Headshot!
Ralph Wiggum

Re: Star Wars Battlefront

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 08 Dec 2015, 18:28

I'm kinda lost on what we're arguing about, but anyways, sometimes I wonder whether Dice should've done more research to see what game modes would be more popular, and focus on more maps with fewer game modes.

Battlefield 4 has multiple game modes as well: Rush (God bless), Air Superiority, Gun Game, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, CTF etc. But which game mode dominates the popular servers? Conquest.

Why Dice took a step backwards in sticking with multiple game modes and but giving fewer maps is beyond me. BF4 had 10 vanilla maps. Battlefront has 4. I mean seriously wtf.
1 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 Dec 2015, 19:14

Ralph Wiggum wrote:BF4 had 10 vanilla maps. Battlefront has 4. I mean seriously wtf.
To be fair, Battlefront has 13 maps if you don't include the ones in the training mode, battles and survival modes. It's just that those 13 maps aren't compatible with all game types and only 4 are designed to work with the 2 main gametypes.

The problem with Battlefront IMHO is that it comes off as not knowing what kind of game it wants to be... is epic battles? Or is deathmatch?

The Battlefront line of games has always been about the bigger battles and that's what the bulk of players expected (especially since DICE is known for it's large scale shooters). So when they release a game with 4/13 maps supporting the large scale battles and 9/13 supporting the smaller, not as desired game modes, well... you just know people on the whole will feel that there's not much content.

My bro has been a longtime BF4 player so he's a different breed of gamer to me and whilst he'll continue to play Battlefront to get the most out of it, even he admits the content is scarce and becomes repetitive.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 08 Dec 2015, 19:29

Yeah it's just that for a universe as rich as Star Wars with such a variety of planets/environments to draw from, four themed maps (snow, desert, forrest, lava rock planet) is pitifully low.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 Dec 2015, 19:30

Ralph Wiggum wrote:sometimes I wonder whether Dice should've done more research to see what game modes would be more popular, and focus on more maps with fewer game modes.
I know for me it would have been better this way.

I'd have liked the following:

- Walker Assault: but with the potential for 2 heroes in the field for each side at any given time
- Supremacy: but instead of this stupid over simplified, tug of war set up, it's more like UT2004's Onslaught mode... still tug of war but with multiple nodes one could capture.
- Fighter Squadron: but with a bit more content/events to each match

All these modes use the same maps already so it makes sense to keep them. Then build one or two more modes around these larger scale maps:

- 4 player survival mode but after every few waves, you need to relocate to a new point of interest on the map, thus making use of the larger scale maps
- An objectives based mode where one side defends and the other attacks... yeah, it sounds like Walker Assault but it's not just attacking walkers over and over again... one series of objectives could be for the rebels to fight their way to transports on Hoth and the last stretch of the match is to defend transports in flight combat as they escape.

These types of modes would make use of the larger scale maps easily. And if we had at least 10 maps of different themes supporting all 5 of these modes, that's gonna feel like a lot of content.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 08 Dec 2015, 20:54

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Yeah it's just that for a universe as rich as Star Wars with such a variety of planets/environments to draw from, four themed maps (snow, desert, forrest, lava rock planet) is pitifully low.
That's my gripe.

The game has PLENTY of content, and it's so beautiful to look at graphics wise, such attention to detail etc - just a lack of maps to support that said content! And it sucks that this will all get "fixed" by paying for the Season Pass... Why are games doing that these days? Why can't they release a complete game and Season Passes to expand on that rather than releasing a demo and a Season Pass to complete the game.

Or even yet, free ways of unlocking DLC - while keeping the pay option for the "buy it now".
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 Dec 2015, 23:34

Dexterians wrote:And it sucks that this will all get "fixed" by paying for the Season Pass... Why are games doing that these days? Why can't they release a complete game and Season Passes to expand on that rather than releasing a demo and a Season Pass to complete the game.
Mainly because there's enough people willing to pay for that DLC... and it's happened enough times that developers and publishers just do it as the norm now for all genre of games. Sometimes it's valid... if the DLC is about the size of a mini expansion pack (and I mean expansion pack like a Blizzard expansion pack), yeah, I'd pay for it... but often these days it's a few maps, or an extra character in a fighting game for $15-20.

The only way to send a message to the game industry about this is to speak with our wallets. Unfortunately, most people aren't willing to do that.

I see Battlefront as the gaming equivalent of a hot, classy prostitute... looks good, tonnes of fun... but it'll cost you, especially once you start coming back for more.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 10 Dec 2015, 16:52

Mugsy wrote:I see Battlefront as the gaming equivalent of a hot, classy prostitute... looks good, tonnes of fun... but it'll cost you, especially once you start coming back for more.
Hahaha, I even laughed for real - not just an internet haha, a REAL haha.

It's so true :|
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 11 Dec 2015, 09:34

New DLC came out for everyone, spent ages last night trying to get games for anything, even the new mode, didn't have much luck. Eventually found a walker assault and played the new map, it's pretty good (though on a US server), then also eventually got a game on the new mode, also on a US server. It's fun but only having that mode on one map (Which seems fully potato, but whatever) will get super repetitive super fast.

They didn't even add coop survival onto Jakku.

One good change is you play empire and rebel on a map before it switches map now.

I'm sure I'll keep getting told the game has lots of content and it's great and I'm just doing it wrong, but as I can barely find games, and when I do they're on US servers, I think I might be done with this game. Because as fun as it is, staring at Menus waiting to play (Even if does get repetitive) isn't fun.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Dec 2015, 09:45

That's a shame that getting into games is more frustrating than ever mate. I still look at swbstats.com now and then and the pc numbers are quite depressing. Doubt I will pick up the game even if they discount it heavily.

On the other hand, 4 of us had a good few rounds of ctf on ut2004 last night. There's also Wishful Thinking's onslaught server so we got a few options if anyone wants to get into some ut while dice sorts out swb.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 11 Dec 2015, 10:18

Please talk about UT2K4 in the UT2K4 thread and not here. Thanks.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 11 Dec 2015, 13:07

Makena wrote:New DLC came out for everyone, spent ages last night trying to get games for anything, even the new mode, didn't have much luck. Eventually found a walker assault and played the new map, it's pretty good (though on a US server), then also eventually got a game on the new mode, also on a US server. It's fun but only having that mode on one map (Which seems fully potato, but whatever) will get super repetitive super fast.

They didn't even add coop survival onto Jakku.

One good change is you play empire and rebel on a map before it switches map now.

I'm sure I'll keep getting told the game has lots of content and it's great and I'm just doing it wrong, but as I can barely find games, and when I do they're on US servers, I think I might be done with this game. Because as fun as it is, staring at Menus waiting to play (Even if does get repetitive) isn't fun.
I don't understand how you are having these issues - as a pre-orderer here, I had issues finding games in my week early preview, but I still found games - last night I had no issues finding any games on either Walker Assault or their new game mode Turning Point. I always found full or near full games.

One thing I have dicovered though, if a game is full, it occasionally will look to emptier games. Sometimes rejoining you'll eventually find yourself in a full game. Having no gamebrowser sucks - but welcome to FPS games these days, particularly on console.

Mugsy wrote:That's a shame that getting into games is more frustrating than ever mate. I still look at swbstats.com now and then and the pc numbers are quite depressing. Doubt I will pick up the game even if they discount it heavily.
Ah - could be the PC market. Personally I play on Xbox and dont experience any or many of these "not enough players" issue.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 11 Dec 2015, 13:21

Dexterians wrote:I don't understand how you are having these issues - as a pre-orderer here, I had issues finding games in my week early preview, but I still found games - last night I had no issues finding any games on either Walker Assault or their new game mode Turning Point. I always found full or near full games.

One thing I have dicovered though, if a game is full, it occasionally will look to emptier games. Sometimes rejoining you'll eventually find yourself in a full game. Having no gamebrowser sucks - but welcome to FPS games these days, particularly on console.
As expected
Makena wrote:I'm sure I'll keep getting told the game has lots of content and it's great and I'm just doing it wrong,
Even if (and it's a big fucking if) I could easily find games for the new mode (on Aus servers, which I couldn't last night, and this game isn't as fun at 200+ ms), it's 1 map, it'd get very repetitive very fast. This game lacks content, this free DLC is a incredibly bare boned compared to what the free updates for other comparable games get from the same company (ie Battlefield 4)
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 11 Dec 2015, 17:35

Makena wrote:I'm sure I'll keep getting told the game has lots of content and it's great and I'm just doing it wrong,
Nah man you're not wrong map wise - it definitely lacks. Everything else it has too much of, ie Game Modes.
Makena wrote:Even if (and it's a big fucking if) I could easily find games for the new mode (on Aus servers, which I couldn't last night, and this game isn't as fun at 200+ ms), it's 1 map, it'd get very repetitive very fast. This game lacks content, this free DLC is a incredibly bare boned compared to what the free updates for other comparable games get from the same company (ie Battlefield 4)
Ew. This game sounds like it's like most games these days - designed for console. Thank poop I bought it on console. I contemplated it on PC.

Yeah bro - it's EA, to them that's a LOT for free DLC.
I play Simpsons Tapped out on iPad - you're lucky to get 3 freaking doughnuts for free man (the premium currency (yet another EA title)).

The game itself (SWBF), I cannot stress enough, is SOOOO much fun. I just wish, like you, that it had some more maps - but that's to be expected from AAA games these days. Look at the direction Destiny is going, yet another game ruined by this BS scheme they're running.

EA and Activision.. *waves fist*
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 11 Dec 2015, 17:58

Dexterians wrote:The game itself (SWBF), I cannot stress enough, is SOOOO much fun. I just wish, like you, that it had some more maps - but that's to be expected from AAA games these days. Look at the direction Destiny is going, yet another game ruined by this BS scheme they're running.

EA and Activision.. *waves fist*
I know it's fun, I've said a few times now that it's a very fun game let down by a lack of content, but the level of content doesn't even match a recent game from the same dev and publisher.

EDIT: Also holy shit if you're on console your experience is entirely different to the PC one, and as Mugsy says below, this is the PC gaming section of the forums, I thought it was obvious most of us are on PC
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Dec 2015, 18:18

Dexterians wrote:Ah - could be the PC market. Personally I play on Xbox and dont experience any or many of these "not enough players" issue.
Well, this is the 'PC Gaming' forum :-P

But it is very surprising results none the less that at time of posing, these are the player numbers for the game across all platforms:
  1. PC: 4,473 (24h peak: 15,875)
  2. XBOXONE: 19,513 (24h peak: 44,013)
  3. PS4: 35,311 (24h peak: 76,272)
PS4 clearly has the most players at the current time and during the 24hr peak and is more than Xbox and PC combined.

PC player numbers makes up only 7.7% of the current player base across all platforms and only 11.6% in the 24hr peaks. No wonder PC players are complaining about issues with getting into games. You guys should see how players are reacting on the Whirlpool forums!
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Makena

Post by Makena » 11 Dec 2015, 18:25

Mugsy wrote:
Dexterians wrote:Ah - could be the PC market. Personally I play on Xbox and dont experience any or many of these "not enough players" issue.
Well, this is the 'PC Gaming' forum :-P
Fuck me I missed that part when I first read his post, OBVIOUSLY the xbox player experience is vastly different
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Dec 2015, 18:39

LOL. Yeah, the game is doing well on console that's for sure. Considering how arcadey the game is, I wish they made it cross platform.

Funny how we have a SWB thread on the PC Gaming forum and the Console Gaming forum doesn't.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Dec 2015, 20:20

If you guys haven't seen the Escapist's review of Battlefront, it's hilarious:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ont-Review
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Duke

Post by Duke » 11 Dec 2015, 20:23

Haven't been able to establish a game of any mode for the last two days. Either empty servers or not enough players in server to activate a match.

It's okay though. It's given me a new appreciation for BF4 when I fired it up again for the first time in a while (last night).
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Dec 2015, 10:15

I just had an epiphany... this could end up as one of EA's on the house deals very quickly if the numbers keep dropping on PC.

Basically, give out free copies of the "demo" and hope people pay for the season pass... essentially buying the game.

Yeah, I can keep dreaming can't I?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

DedZeppelin

Post by DedZeppelin » 12 Dec 2015, 11:50

Mugsy wrote:I just had an epiphany... this could end up as one of EA's on the house deals very quickly if the numbers keep dropping on PC.

Basically, give out free copies of the "demo" and hope people pay for the season pass... essentially buying the game.

Yeah, I can keep dreaming can't I?
Might not be that far fetched. There's been rumours that Hardline is going that way, why not Battlefront too?.....
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 12 Dec 2015, 12:05

Doubt it. This game has all the hallmarks of Titanfall and that game isn't 'on the house' yet. At the most a quicker rollout of an extended free play period. Maybe a discount if you're lucky.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 18 Dec 2015, 12:04

This made me nearly pee my pants :lol:

0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 24 Dec 2015, 18:56

The end of this is so true!

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 27 Jan 2016, 18:14

So they're adding new stuff:
Tomorrow, we are adding more free content to the game for all Star Wars Battlefront players, including:

The Tatooine Survival map will now support the Blast, Droid Run, Drop Zone, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs Villains multiplayer modes, and is called Raider Camp.
New Hoth-themed outfits for Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, both of which will be available to all fans when they play as these two iconic characters on Hoth – these were unlocked by our players for completing our Heroes’ Holiday community mission last month.
We are giving players the ability to create Private Matches, which makes playing with friends even easier.
The introduction of Daily Challenges and Community Events. These are designed to rally the Community around certain goals and objectives, giving players the chance to earn credits and unlocks even faster. We'll have more news regarding Community Events and Daily Challenges in the days ahead.
And of course, we are also including some overall balancing tweaks to both weapons and multiplayer modes.

In February, we will continue to add more free content for all players, including a new Survival mission on Hoth, and a brand-new Hoth multiplayer map that will support our larger game modes including Walker Assault, Supremacy, Fighter Squadron and Turning Point. Speaking of Turning Point, we are also excited to make this popular mode available on all maps that currently support Walker Assault and Supremacy in the February update.

In March, we will be adding another exciting new multiplayer map on Endor that will support Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Turning Point, and an additional Tatooine Survival map.

In addition to the free content we will be delivering through March, we will continue to listen to our community throughout the year and provide updates designed to make Star Wars Battlefront even more fun for everyone.

Now, a lot of you have been asking for more details around Season Pass, and we want to give you some more information today. Season Pass is going to give you more of the content you love -- maps and modes, Heroes, weapons, and more. We are thrilled to share with you the names of each digital expansion pack, as well as some details on what players can expect with each one and when they will be available.

Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Outer Rim (March 2016) - Fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt's palace on Tatooine
Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Bespin (Summer 2016) - It's hunt or be hunted in this action-packed experience set in the Cloud City of Bespin
Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Death Star (Fall 2016) – That’s no moon! One of the most iconic locations in the Star Wars universe makes its debut in Star Wars Battlefront.
Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Expansion Pack 4 – Title TBA (Early 2017) – We will have more details to share about this exciting new expansion pack in the coming months.
http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlef ... road-ahead
0 x
CherryRed wrote: