Destiny 2

The question: First or third person?
The answer: *boom* Headshot!
Makena

Destiny 2

Post by Makena » 31 Mar 2017, 07:50

I guess it goes in shooters? Maybe? Eh?

PC confirmed, something something September

Humanity's last safe city has fallen to an overwhelming invasion force, led by Ghaul, the imposing commander of the brutal Red Legion. He has stripped the city's Guardians of their power, and forced the survivors to flee. You will venture to mysterious, unexplored worlds of our solar system to discover an arsenal of weapons and devastating new combat abilities. To defeat the Red Legion and confront Ghaul, you must reunite humanity's scattered heroes, stand together, and fight back to reclaim our home.

0 x

Mythor

Re: Destiny 2 Trailer

Post by Mythor » 31 Mar 2017, 11:57

Something with a G! :D
Glad it's coming to PC this time. Playing on PS4 was fiiiine but I prefer shootery things on PC. Can't wait!
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 31 Mar 2017, 12:37

Wow. So the life of Destiny 1 will be effectively 3yrs. I sure hope that Destiny 2 can survive longer than that with ongoing expansions.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

boars

Post by boars » 23 Apr 2017, 18:30

Mugsy wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 12:37
Wow. So the life of Destiny 1 will be effectively 3yrs. I sure hope that Destiny 2 can survive longer than that with ongoing expansions.
Shorter than I expected... but then they probably want PC $ also so....
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Sep 2017, 21:40

So I've been looking at a few Youtube reviews and have come to the conclusion that Nightfall and Leviathan raids aren't really going to be my thing.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mythor

Re: Destiny 2

Post by Mythor » 24 Oct 2017, 13:29

One more sleep! There's a preload available on the Blizzard/battle.net/whatever App. Launch time is 4am Sydney/AEDT. Do we have a reasonable number of people picking it up for PC? Or even an unreasonable number? :D
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 24 Oct 2017, 14:24

I'm skipping it, was underwhelmed by beta, and reviews/feedback from console launch make it sound like it's not really for me
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 24 Oct 2017, 16:44

Im ready to go. Gonna get my $13 worth out of it. Even if that means finishing single player campaign and leaving it at that :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Dec 2017, 08:28

Just heard that the expansion's level cap raise locks players out of a good portion of existing end game content as, unless you get the xpac, you won't be at max level to participate in those end game activities.

What is with all these game design fuck ups?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 10 Dec 2017, 12:33

Mugsy wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 08:28
What is with all these game design fuck ups?
Is it really a fuck up if said design choices are having the intended consequence of persuading some players into buying said expansion.

I was a Bungie fan from the launch of Halo CE but after the launch of Halo 2 the company became increasingly arrogant and condescending towards parts of their fanbase.

For myself Halo Reach was the last straw, it was clear as day with that game why Bungie didn't want to make Halo games anymore. Many changes felt like difference for difference's sake with little regard to the overall game, cannon and the fanbase.

Rather than space cowboy games were people could project themselves on the anonymous lead character like the original Halo trilogy Bungie wanted to make more character and narrative driven games but characters and narrative was never their strength.

Halo Reach was an good game but it didn't live up to the original Halo trilogy and in hindsight it probably would have been better for Microsoft to release Bungie from their contract and forced development of Halo Reach because with a longer development cycle Destiny 1 might have been a better game.

Games are increasingly becoming a service with the launch game lacking a lot of content and options that was present in the prior game so I'm not surprised the same has happened with Destiny 2. It amazes me that the 2001 Halo CE has better enemy AI than Destiny 2.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Dec 2017, 13:26

They may have executed their plans accordingly but if the concept is flawed to begin with, I'd say it is indeed a fuck up. It's a business at the end of the day so alienating customers (especially so soon after launch) isn't a good idea for return customers.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Dec 2017, 23:56

Found a better video that explains the Destiny 2 xpac situation.

So I was burnt earlier this year with Ghost Recon Wildlands already... base game was good... DLC from Season Pass not so good.

And with what's happening with microtransactions and now forcing gamers to buy xpacs to retain access to content, I think I've been turned off AAA shooters.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 11 Dec 2017, 00:42

Mugsy wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 13:26
They may have executed their plans accordingly but if the concept is flawed to begin with, I'd say it is indeed a fuck up. It's a business at the end of the day so alienating customers (especially so soon after launch) isn't a good idea for return customers.
I think eventually some of these bad decisions will catch up with the industry but I think publishers will double down and it will get worse before it gets better.
Mugsy wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 23:56
And with what's happening with microtransactions and now forcing gamers to buy xpacs to retain access to content, I think I've been turned off AAA shooters.
Bravo.

I can understand why some people give into micro-transactions and monetisation but until more people start voting with their wallets and stop supporting games that employ these practices nothing will change.

I've bought a few games over the years with micro-transactions and monetisation but I haven't spent a cent on micro-transactions and monetisation as I view micro-transactions as a form of gambling and paying real money for cosmetic items seems silly to me and if said items give a tangible advantage it's likely I won't buy the game as I don't like pay to win games.

I'm lucky in that I have a massive backlog across multiple 90s/2000's platforms and graphics don't matter as much as they once did.

Many big developers and publishers aren't worth supporting nowadays and increasingly more of my games are from smaller developers/publishers.

I would not be surprised at all to see Bungie further monetise Destiny 2 since they own the IP and would be getting a sizeable chunk of the proceeds of increased monetisation.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Dec 2017, 07:56

n1cholas wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 00:42
I think eventually some of these bad decisions will catch up with the industry but I think publishers will double down and it will get worse before it gets better.
Agree.

I do wonder if AAA game development and ongoing supports costs are more expensive these days which has lead to these game companies all trying to work in extra revenue where they can? Or is it just simply greed?
n1cholas wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 00:42
I can understand why some people give into micro-transactions and monetisation but until more people start voting with their wallets and stop supporting games that employ these practices nothing will change.

I've bought a few games over the years with micro-transactions and monetisation but I haven't spent a cent on micro-transactions and monetisation as I view micro-transactions as a form of gambling and paying real money for cosmetic items seems silly to me and if said items give a tangible advantage it's likely I won't buy the game as I don't like pay to win games.
The most I've spent on mtx has been for Heroes of the Storm and Path of Exile... both games being free to play.

In HOTS I've spent close to $80 on various characters packs and have called it quits on spending anymore money since that's the price for a full priced game. I've got enough gold saved up for the next years worth of hero releases (on top of all the existing heroes which I can unlock if I wanted to) so there's plenty more enjoyment I think I can get out of the game.

Path of Exile I've only ever bought stash tabs... probably spent just over $20 for twelve tabs for myself and 1.5 guild stash tabs. Again, I think the game is worth it so I'm not all too burnt by the mtx spending. It wasn't like it was necessary spending... just quality of life stuff (and I do like to keep gear in ARPGs).

The last bit of money I spent on expansion content was the Necromancer class for Diablo 3. Granted, they did throw in more stash tabs and a bunch of cosmetics with the bundle, as well as the fact that D3 has been my main game for the past 5yrs, $21 for this extra content was OK. It didn't lock me out of doing anything I could do before the pack was released.

IGN's review of the Osiris xpac for Destiny 2 isn't very forgiving. Apparently, it's quite dull and light on content so I think there will be a lot of unhappy Destiny customers.

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 13 Dec 2017, 09:09

Mugsy wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 07:56
I do wonder if AAA game development and ongoing supports costs are more expensive these days which has lead to these game companies all trying to work in extra revenue where they can? Or is it just simply greed?
I don't doubt that games are significantly more expensive to create nowadays.

Executives and investors want high profits and revenue which in my opinion is largely driving these business practices.

Often developers that are getting a direct cut of profit and/or revenue like Bungie become obsessed with monetisation.
Mugsy wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 07:56
The most I've spent on mtx has been for Heroes of the Storm and Path of Exile... both games being free to play.
I don't have an issue with cosmetics in F2P games and if I was to buy any it would be to support the developers/publisher.

I think developers should be open about whether their games are F2P, P2W, paid with cosmetic micro-transactions etc.

Battlefront 2 for example is a P2W game IMO as it wouldn't be a great experience if you were to just play the game vs other people that have spent a lot on micro-transactions.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 13 Dec 2017, 18:37

Bungie's in repair mode and apparently the locking of out end game content to vanilla players is being rectified:

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 06 May 2018, 13:00

Second xpac releases on 8th May. Will see if this makes Destiny 2 a must play for me.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 06 May 2018, 13:43

Will definitely reinstall for the new content and have a look. Must go say hi to Rasputin. :)
0 x

linxus

Post by linxus » 06 May 2018, 17:34

Is it worth getting this game at all (the base game that is) for $12-15 (Humble Monthly)?
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 06 May 2018, 18:45

Yes, it's a good deal of fun for quite a while. Just becomes a bit of a chore at "endgame" because your power level stalls and there are limited options for making more progress. Hoping this might change in the next expansion but not really expecting it to.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 May 2018, 22:30

Hmmm, the thing in this reminds me of the Tet in Oblivion...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 May 2018, 10:55

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 10 May 2018, 11:45

Not surprising that things have continued to trend down when it comes to Destiny.

Back when Bungie were making Halo games Bungie could get away with an unbureaucratic and unstructured organisation because they had the right mix of employees and the teams were small compared to modern games.

With how complex games have become and games as a service requiring hundreds of devs those days are gone and IMO it's a key reason why the Destiny franchise has been so underwhelming.

It's hard to manage a large workforce and even harder when much of that workforce is contracted temporary labour which would be doing a lot of the work on expansions but that doesn't explain the lack of content.

I'm indifferent these days to Bungie as Bungie have lost most of the talent that made the original Halo trilogy and it shows in their games.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 May 2018, 07:26

Looks like another miss for me (my gaming time seems to be diminishing anyway).

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 16 May 2018, 08:52

Mugsy wrote:
14 May 2018, 07:26
Looks like another miss for me (my gaming time seems to be diminishing anyway).
I hope when you are playing you're having fun.

I could play almost anything as a kid/teenager and get some enjoyment out of it in stark contrast to the last few years when I've found it harder to get into games and just stopped playing many games after a hour or two or before completion for various reasons.

If it wasn't for the fact I occasionally play Overwatch I probably wouldn't still classify myself as a gamer.
0 x