Star Wars Battlefront II

The question: First or third person?
The answer: *boom* Headshot!
Disruptor4

Re: Star Wars Battlefront II

Post by Disruptor4 » 07 Oct 2017, 14:36

It certainly is a BETA... not sure if I want to pre-order now but still want the force awakens skins and yoda mastery...
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 09 Oct 2017, 01:12

Played a couple of hours over the weekend. First off I'm impressed by how they've re-jigged the general gameplay. No more pickups on the ground, just focus on playing the objective or killing the enemy. The battlefield points system is a cool way to implement vehicles and unique character options - no more spamming the "spawn vehicle" button (ala Battlefield) or running away in the middle of the battle to chase that hero token (ala Battlefront 2015).

The star card system is going to create the biggest controversy IMO. Upgrades appear to be based more on a RNG system rather than natural progression through longer playtime. I'm hearing some discontent about the potential level of grind this game is dangling in front of you in order to find that elusive platinum card. We'll see how the pay for crates system works out.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 09 Oct 2017, 01:59

Managed to sort the 721 error. Turns out I forgot about an old firewall program I had running in the background that was dropping the connection. So easiest way to diagnose is to work out why connections to easo.ea.com aren't working.

I like the new systems a lot more than the old random powerups. I can see where the star cards are going to cause problems - those who buy them appear likely to get at least gold quality straight off. It is a bit pay to win, though not too blatantly IMO.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 09 Oct 2017, 08:26

I thought game play was generally good, I liked no pickups on the ground and you earn points towards them, don't overly like the random card system at all, and that's a major turn off.

Overall I think it was pretty ok, much like the first one, it feels Star Wars, but generally speaking I think I'll just wait for campaign reviews, if it sounds good I'll get a cheap key for that and maybe dabble in multiplayer a little, but I'm not super eager for it.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 09 Oct 2017, 08:55

Played a few rounds and decided I didn't like it, not having a server browser cements my non-participation. I felt like I could kill pixels from extreme range with the Support class too, meaning whenever I played anything else I'd get killed at extreme range quite often also. Not impressed.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Mini

Post by Mini » 09 Oct 2017, 10:41

The grouping and no server browser were the killers for me,
game play felt solid, but not awesome, with nothing new to what BF2:Classic had.
The heroes actually felt under powered (somehow)...

Grouping up was horrendous, with it working sometimes, and other times it wasn't having a bar of it.
And if you couldn't group up, then there was no chance of getting into a game with mates.

Don't think I will bother...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 09 Oct 2017, 13:18

Ralph Wiggum wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 01:12
The star card system is going to create the biggest controversy IMO. Upgrades appear to be based more on a RNG system rather than natural progression through longer playtime. I'm hearing some discontent about the potential level of grind this game is dangling in front of you in order to find that elusive platinum card. We'll see how the pay for crates system works out.
You can settle for RNG or you can save Spare Parts and craft the specific cards you want, then upgrade them with more spare parts. The upgrade from gold to platinum is 480 spare parts though, which is a LOT. :(

Spare Parts can be had from completing the various challenges and occasionally out of the crates. I think if you're focusing on one class it shouldn't take that long, but obviously maxing out everything will take bloody ages, or quite a bit of cash. Best way is probably to upgrade your class' most useful/used ability to gold ASAP, then grab or upgrade the second card you want to use and hopefully by then you'll have enough to unlock the 3rd card slot. Grab/upgrade the third and you'll have 90% of the maximum power without grinding your brains out.

Maybe. :D

I've picked it up for the campaign and some arcade shenanigans. Will probably play a bit of multiplayer but wouldn't pick it up for that alone. :(
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 09 Oct 2017, 23:40

Played it a fair bit now and I've got to say I'm a bit under whelmed. Probably not helped that there are some hacks out already, definitely not sus when one player has 35K points in a round while everybody else is around 5K.
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 12 Oct 2017, 23:13

Got stung on the first one with it's lack of server browser and complete inability to actually let me and a couple of mates join an online match.
Demo was fun until I tried to play with my son and got stung by the same issues with both of us not being able to join a multiplayer game as a group. When we eventually did we were never in the same squad anyway...WTF??
Not going to throw my money down the drain on this one until they implement the most requested feature for PC players. eg.. server browser
Why they haven't even bothered to do this is beyond me?? I suspect they developed on the cheap by simply adding gameplay changes and new visual content over the existing content of the first Battlefront game rather than bothering to fix the real issues...
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 13 Oct 2017, 00:22

Real shame, maybe it'll be worth $20 for single player campaign down the track but multi sounds annoying as sin.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 13 Oct 2017, 12:28

LordPorksword wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 23:13
When we eventually did we were never in the same squad anyway...WTF??
Don't think there's actually squads in this at all, you just spawn in waves with other people?
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 13 Oct 2017, 13:03

Mythor wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 12:28
LordPorksword wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 23:13
When we eventually did we were never in the same squad anyway...WTF??
Don't think there's actually squads in this at all, you just spawn in waves with other people?
That's very much how it seems, so even joining as a group you're just on the same team.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 13 Oct 2017, 13:07

Yep, 100% agree on the waves.
The only advantage to grouping is that it gets you in the same game (Which otherwise is a gamble at best) and shows your group as green.
It seems that you get advantages from being next to anyone, so no real "squads"

I'm hoping I can find it later for cheap so I can play the campaign... not spending $80 for that though
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 13 Oct 2017, 22:00

EA have come out with a response regarding a number of issues:

Teams
We are also looking into more ways to allow players to stay and play together as a team – for launch, we’ll have a new feature for you that rewards all players in a spawn wave.
The loot crate/progression system
There are many things you can earn in the game, including weapons, attachments, credits, Star Cards, Emotes, Outfits and Victory Poses.
As a balance goal, we’re working towards having the most powerful items in the game only earnable via in-game achievements.
Crates will include a mix of of Star Cards, Outfits, Emotes or Victory Poses.
Players earn crates by completing challenges and other gameplay milestones, or by purchasing them with in-game credits or Crystals, our premium currency.
If you get a duplicate Star Card in a crate, you will get crafting parts which you can then use to help upgrade the Star Card of your choice.
And lastly, you have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game.
Lets see how this pans out...
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 13 Oct 2017, 23:29

The parts for duplicates is definitely a good thing, sucked to get dupes in the beta and get nothing for them. Good to see them addressing some stuff from the beta. :)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Oct 2017, 14:00

I know it's only a beta but are there any signs of setting up a game vs bots with more than two players this time?

Honestly, I liked the look of the first game as an occasional multiplayer shooter but when it's hard to get into an online game due to lack of players, having bots is good thing... but limiting the human players in vs AI games to just two is bad.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 17 Oct 2017, 10:16

I really enjoyed it - I look forward to the full game release and so happy there's no paid DLC that will segregate the community, hopefully this move extends the lifetime of the game. Battlefront 1's community dwindled when they started releasing the exclusive DLC.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 09 Nov 2017, 19:58

Been looking at some of LevelCap's videos the new environments introduced in Battlefront 2 and it does look pretty sweet.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 13 Nov 2017, 23:45

EA is getting absolutely crucified on reddit at the moment over the amount of time/money it's going to take to unlock heroes. Apparently it's around 40 hours spending credits on nothing else or about $150 in loot boxes.

https://np.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlef ... ?context=3 - currently at -211K downvotes, most downvoted comment ever about 10x over.
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 14 Nov 2017, 11:26

They’ve reduced the credit unlocks by 75%, so Luke/Vader has gone down from 60,000 to 15,000.

Still the damage has been done and it is still insulting to lock iconic characters for no justifiable reason other than to incentivise people to pay for loot boxes.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 14 Nov 2017, 12:03

-525k points now.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 14 Nov 2017, 12:54

And I succumbed to buying today, even with all the bad press.
Mostly because I want to play the SP section and have some fun in arcade...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 14 Nov 2017, 17:53

Ralph Wiggum wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 11:26
They’ve reduced the credit unlocks by 75%, so Luke/Vader has gone down from 60,000 to 15,000.

Still the damage has been done and it is still insulting to lock iconic characters for no justifiable reason other than to incentivise people to pay for loot boxes.
Don't praise them to much - while they've reduced the cost to unlock them they've also reduced the rewards you get to unlock them by the same amount (source: Reddit so please don't shoot me if this isn't accurate as I haven't done my own research).

Edit: I've been looking to give a link to confirm this but it seems I'm mistaken as I can no longer find anything so what I saw was most likely incorrect.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 14 Nov 2017, 19:51

Kendrite wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 17:53
Edit: I've been looking to give a link to confirm this but it seems I'm mistaken as I can no longer find anything so what I saw was most likely incorrect.
I think partially correct, they apparently reduced the reward for completing the campaign from 20k to 5k, multiplayer rewards are the same (with some claiming higher if you do better in a match)
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 14 Nov 2017, 19:54

I have 5k and have finished the campaign so... I guess that bit is right? Also got some crates of some kind. Haven't opened any crates. :D
0 x