Star Wars Battlefront II

The question: First or third person?
The answer: *boom* Headshot!
Otto-matic Reiffel

Re: Star Wars Battlefront II

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 14 Nov 2017, 20:54

Given they just had the backlash as a story on regular TV news, I wonder if Disney is considering that they may not want to go with EA for their next Star Wars game.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 14 Nov 2017, 23:11

I saw a story on ABC News about it as well. Disney might want out of their deal but it'd cost them a lot to buy the licence back off EA. I don't think Disney will mind too much though as it's EA/DICE copping the criticism for this, not Disney/Star Wars.

Of course if EA still rake in the money from this I don't think anything will change, at least not as much as some people are demanding. The "lootbox" style of dispensing things seems to have its claws in deep for now.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 14 Nov 2017, 23:52

I know nothing's going to change. People are great at being outraged on the internet, but will still buy the game anyway, even pre-order it. It's a bit depressing really.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 15 Nov 2017, 09:16

I am one of those horrible people...
But with more and more shit coming out, I am tempting to go back to JB and cancel my order..
But I really want to play this game while it is new and actually has a player base, because it won't after a few weeks...

Anyone else here already grabbed it, or grabbing it on release day?
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Makena

Post by Makena » 15 Nov 2017, 09:22

Mini wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 09:16
I am one of those horrible people...
But with more and more shit coming out, I am tempting to go back to JB and cancel my order..
But I really want to play this game while it is new and actually has a player base, because it won't after a few weeks...

Anyone else here already grabbed it, or grabbing it on release day?
I was waiting for Campaign reviews, which sounds short and average, this extra crap is just more motivation not to get it right now, so I'll wait till it's way cheaper (sub $20) before I grab it, no shortage of other games to play at the moment.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 15 Nov 2017, 09:55

I'd've liked to review the campaign but it would be so full of spoilers I'm not so sure anyone would really want to read it if they were interested in playing. ;)

Haven't touched MP yet, I'm assuming it'll have slightly longer legs thanks to no paid expansions dividing the playerbase. But it's still PC and PC FPS games die quicker, so many more options.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 15 Nov 2017, 21:21

Mythor wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 09:55
I'd've liked to review the campaign but it would be so full of spoilers I'm not so sure anyone would really want to read it if they were interested in playing. ;)
How about a general rating? lol
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 Nov 2017, 22:05

OK, the game looks good graphically but after looking at their money making model in detail, I'm gonna give EA the finger and not touch the game.

If it was a F2P game with microtransactions like Heroes of the Storm, I wouldn't mine spending the odd bit of money. But the amount of credits one has to pay for in order to unlock heroes after paying full price, no... sorry... this game isn't value.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 Nov 2017, 22:11

Mini wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 09:16
Whilst I get where you're coming from, one thing I think should be considered is whether the game will be enjoyable to play at all. I can see a few issues with this game that will ruin a newcomer's enjoyment:

1. If it's anything like the first game, your weapon/power options at the start are limited so you're forced to grind it out over several weeks in order to get some decent guns etc to play with. My bro and his mate put a lot of hours in the first game on both PC and PS4 in order to unlock gear.

2. All the pay2win players will have an upper advantage. That could potentially ruin your fun from the start.

Neither of these concerns may eventuate but EA/DICE's track record with this stuff hasn't been good in the past. The only value I can remember from an EA title in recent years is BF4 where I got the Premium edition for $20 but the player base was still good at that point and the game had been worked on so much, it was in the best shape it had ever been in.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 16 Nov 2017, 10:43

I want to buy it but I'm so uncertain :(

Come on EA - don't ruin this!
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 16 Nov 2017, 12:12

boars wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 21:21
Mythor wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 09:55
How about a general rating? lol
It's not good... :(
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 16 Nov 2017, 18:49

EA's post on reddit about SWB II
The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.
As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.
We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.
Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.
Apparently it is the most hated posted on reddit... ever! -677k points 3 days ago That's got to be a proud moment for EA. :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattle ... d/dppum98/
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 16 Nov 2017, 21:52

I watched a guy play the entire campaign today on Twitch, it's gorgeous, but I feel I missed absolutely nothing by not playing it myself.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 17 Nov 2017, 09:04

Makena wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 21:52
I watched a guy play the entire campaign today on Twitch, it's gorgeous, but I feel I missed absolutely nothing by not playing it myself.
I totally should have done that then I won't need to buy the game!
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 17 Nov 2017, 15:47

Looks like they've pulled the ingame purchases;

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/16/ea- ... purchases/

Maybe this makes the game great again?

EDIT: nevermind;
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hours ... 0-6455042/
Translation: We are getting a lot of flack that may affect sales. News sites and Wall St are actually talking about this. Don't worry after all the kids get this game for Christmas we'll dump those micros right back into the game.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 17 Nov 2017, 16:03

I can't imagine the news they've temporarily backed off the micro-transactions is going have anywhere near the same legs as what people hearing about them in the first place did.

This stuff's not ever going to stop now either, everyone knows how much money they can make from doing it. They're just going to be more subtle/creative about how they go about it next time and over time it'll become more and more invasive in mainstream games.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 17 Nov 2017, 16:09

It's a shame... I still havent picked up my pre-order for this reason - and I'm not sure I'll ever pick it up :(

I was really looking forward to this game, now I just don't know.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 18 Nov 2017, 01:44

Seems like EA have dropped the microtransactions until enough of the on-the-fence people buy the game, then will put them back in. Pretty damn shady.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 18 Nov 2017, 08:59

It's going to stay until people stop doing this.. I'm sure we've all seen this

0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Nov 2017, 10:34

Interesting theory. Don't know what what his source is but it's definitely a plausible one...

IGN gave it a 6.5/10... seems they managed to not break the fun gameplay of the first game but the progression system is a mess.

IMHO, for those wanting to get it, maybe expect a month or two of fun before the player base drops off like the first game. Unless EA/DICE make some serious improvements, this game will die as fast as it's predecessor.

IMHO, dropping micro transactions to only cosmetics/not tied to progression system, speed up credit gain so people can unlock stuff faster, or overhaul the progression system to be like Battlefield 4's system is the way to go.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 18 Nov 2017, 10:34

I grabbed it primarily for the singleplayer, zero expectations for the multiplayer at all
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Nov 2017, 13:13

I'm not a singleplayer shooter enthusiast so the Battlefront 2 campaign didn't hold much interest for me but Star Wars 1313 was on my radar before it got shelved. Disney need to balance out the Star Wars games with some good narrative driven ones.

I sure hope Disney realise that gamers are sick of this DLC/micro transactions shit with multiplayer shooters... Star Wars or not Star Wars. They need to make sure that future AAA releases in the Star Wars universe aren't affected in this same way. DICE has got the chops to deliver a good multiplayer game but with EA driving the monetisation model, it's going to be few and far between good, long lasting DICE shooters.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 18 Nov 2017, 13:27

I'd love a Mass Effect style Starwars game
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

boars

Post by boars » 18 Nov 2017, 14:18

Pity the single player is not exactly amazing and only 4 hours long.

When this game hits $10, maybe I'll consider it.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Nov 2017, 15:46

Well, Battlefront 1 dropped to AU$6.66 on origin when I got it... I see the same thing happening for the sequel.
0 x