The Division

How to use climbing axes for fun and profit, with your hosts Nathan Drake and Lara Croft.
DarkMellie

Re: The Division

Post by DarkMellie » 19 Jun 2016, 00:42

That looks glorious, Spooler. Added!

Did some more DZ tonight, nothing great was extracted but a dude did try to take me down at the extraction point. I was using a controller and beat him (so he probably was as well). Went back though (got swamped by enemies shortly after killing the other player) and he was there and took me down pretty quickly.

Still on 156 but am eager for tomorrow's daily missions so I can complete the weekly one (30 PC). Also bought my first high-end template and rolled a far better weapon than the LVOA so that was nice.

Is the level of an item something to do with its contribution to gear score? I can't quite figure it out yet..
0 x
TS: tms-1.games.on.net Channel: Mellie's Random Games Password: gonmellie

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 19 Jun 2016, 11:06

DarkMellie wrote:Is the level of an item something to do with its contribution to gear score? I can't quite figure it out yet..

Yup gear score is literally just your item level, you can pretty much ignore that stat.

That's more important is your armor you want bonus armor rolls on pretty much every piece of gear you get untill you hit the armor cap of 75% or 5354 "points" of armor. Being armor capped is the best boost to your survivability beyond that make sure you have enough fire arms/stamina for the weapon talents I personally keep about ~2500 of each. Beyond that either try to stack firepower if you want to deal more damage or stamina if you want to live longer.
Set pieces help and i recommend tacticians/final measure if you want to be tanky and sentries/strikers if you want to be more damage oriented.

Any weapon talents that need electronics can just be ignored as electronics is more or less a worthless stat.

DarkMellie wrote:That looks glorious, Spooler. Added!
Give me a shout if you're on around mid-day and ill do a falcon lost run with/for you if you'd like.

Or i could carry you through your weekly either or, though i've already done my weekly so you wouldn't be able to have my loot drops.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 19 Jun 2016, 14:29

I'll be on tonight to do some HVTs. Would love a carry through the weekly HVT?

Also, gear score is 159 so no incursions for me until I get one more piece of higher rated gear.

Finished my weekly challenge though, and the ICAC challenge. Really getting into this grind and mad keen to group up with people I know (although hotdamn, randoms have actually been excellent for the daily missions.

I might have to read up on rerolls though as I haven't done any of that yet.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 19 Jun 2016, 15:15

Give me a time frame and I can try to be on ;)

Definitely worth reading up on re-rolls it can make a huge difference.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 20 Jun 2016, 00:17

GS 173 now and very keen to do my first raid!

Also got my first piece of raid gear from joining a mate halfway through a weekly HVT. Spending PC as fast as I can earn it and am now at a point where I don't have enough high-end resources so will need to start farming those. The gear I'm crafting is turning out to be worth it (in some cases). I think my highest piece is 183 at this point.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 20 Jun 2016, 11:11

Spooler, those are some nice stats man.

What's your character sheet breakdown??
Got any screens of that??

I'll have to get some screenie's of my dude, I'm only GS210 though.
Lately finding it hard to find time to game, work is eating my life with olympics prep :crazy:

Anyone else here play on Xbox?
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 20 Jun 2016, 13:59

Spooler wrote:
That's more important is your armor you want bonus armor rolls on pretty much every piece of gear you get untill you hit the armor cap of 75% or 5354 "points" of armor. Being armor capped is the best boost to your survivability beyond that make sure you have enough fire arms/stamina for the weapon talents I personally keep about ~2500 of each. Beyond that either try to stack firepower if you want to deal more damage or stamina if you want to live longer.
Set pieces help and i recommend tacticians/final measure if you want to be tanky and sentries/strikers if you want to be more damage oriented.

Any weapon talents that need electronics can just be ignored as electronics is more or less a worthless stat.
Thanks for these tips Spooler, I'll have to give them a go, as my damage and toughness aren't getting me through even the DZ01 solo. Annoyingly I've wasted my recalibration on the skill options so I'm going to have to re-farm my set pieces. Kinda sucks how one is railroaded into dumping everything on damage/armor rather than being able to play around with different skills.

Not the game's fault but I'm also in the unfortunate position of my PS4 Division group pretty much moving on, and I'm playing solo on a game which is not my preferred platform. Hopefully the DLC will bring some more friends back in.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 20 Jun 2016, 15:34

Thanks guys, put a fairly solid chunk of work into getting my toon where it is but it's honestly mostly luck.

I honestly found stats to be hideously complex, it took me longer to figure out how to build my toon in the division than in any other game i can remember.

@dex what do you mean character sheet breakdown ? like individual stats how much crit/crit damage etc ?

Tell me what you want shots of and i'm happy to provide them.

As for the dark zone when you're 201+ gear score ... it's a really horrible way to segregate the darkzone .. .i honestly think the way the dark zone is instanced and the difficulty scale within needs to be re worked ... the level of mobs you face within should be based on a difficulty setting, not the level of the gear you're wearing as if you're in all 240 lone star you're likely going to be weaker than someone itemised correctly in 191 tacticians by a huge margin.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 20 Jun 2016, 15:47

Spooler wrote:@dex what do you mean character sheet breakdown ? like individual stats how much crit/crit damage etc ?
Yah! If you go to the Character tab, there's a breakdown of your stats, like Armor, HP, Crit Chance, Crit Damage etc etc etc.

All of it? :P

Because I see you're wearing a few 240 peices of Sentry and/or Striker so curious to see the number differences over their 214 variants. Your character is similarly specced to mine. Although I'm sitting on 214 as I haven't had much of a chance to play and find 240 yet. The 240's I've found are of sets I care little for.
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 20 Jun 2016, 15:52

Spooler wrote: As for the dark zone when you're 201+ gear score ... it's a really horrible way to segregate the darkzone .. .i honestly think the way the dark zone is instanced and the difficulty scale within needs to be re worked ... the level of mobs you face within should be based on a difficulty setting, not the level of the gear you're wearing as if you're in all 240 lone star you're likely going to be weaker than someone itemised correctly in 191 tacticians by a huge margin.
Ah shit, is that my problem? My gear score is about 214, but with three Lone Star and two Striker pieces. I got wiped as soon as I stepped out the gate in DZ01. Maybe I'll switch back to my 182 Vector and see if it brings my score back down.

I liked Diablo 3 's torment system, where the difficulty was based on which torment level you manually selected, and high end drop rates from mobs changed accordingly.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 20 Jun 2016, 16:07

Honestly ralph ... it's mostly about armor, having the right sets for what you're doing helps but the armor stat is so important right now it's not funny.

Personally I love 3 strikers 3 sentries and find it to be a super flexible build but alot in the dark zone run tank builds with the tacticians set. That said if the stats on your pieces are terrible you're better off in 182 pieces that are well optimised.

@dex too lazy to embed all the images here you go.
http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/spool ... 20division
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 20 Jun 2016, 17:48

Spooler wrote:Honestly ralph ... it's mostly about armor, having the right sets for what you're doing helps but the armor stat is so important right now it's not funny.
Ultimately yes, armour is important until you get 75% mitigation - then the rest is down to your perks and other stats. Such as crit damage, head shot damage, exotic damage resilience etc. However minor some people think these are - these make the tipping point difference against someone with similar armour to you.

It was similar before the patch, where previously it was 65%

Here's a guide that's 3 months old but still holds up today;
https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/co ... orks_best/

Although I think now it includes explosions where perviously armour mitigation was GUNS only.

While Gear Score (GS) does contribute - the biggest thing about an items gear score is the maximum possible stat roll.
Eg; a 214 might have a max armour roll of 500 - where a 240 can have a max roll of 600. It's cases like that were a 214 with good rolls can take down a 240 with crappy rolls. My numbers used in this example could be wrong as I don't have the game in front of me to give exact numbers - but the example holds true.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 20 Jun 2016, 20:33

honestly every stat other than armor can be lived without. They help sure but they're not essential.

Gear score really just means that your build is better by percentage ... you generally need the same stats on the same pieces though.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 20 Jun 2016, 20:58

Ralph Wiggum wrote: Maybe I'll switch back to my 182 Vector and see if it brings my score back down.

If you want to get back down a tier you need to take EVERY piece of gear you have that's over your current tiers minimum (201?) and remove it not only from your character but from your stash. Basically you need to make and alt and put everything you own on it. TBH i don't think it's particularly worth it.

I think my biggest downfall is that I'm in assorted 214+ year with decent stats but most everyone else is in 240 with the same rolls... meaning that on a piece of gear they not only have 50+ more in each stat but also have more primary stats to begin with. The difference between 2 identical pieces of gear where one has a 0 primary stat and the other has 600 is super evident over multiple pieces.

TBH the way the DZ is atm is useless for me, i have nobody to play with currently and it makes the farming silly. Will just wait for another tier reset or major content update i think. Anything else feels like banging my head on the wall.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 21 Jun 2016, 00:06

Greatly improved... thanks to Spooler and his mates running me through Falcon Lost and Clear Sky!

Ran the challenging daily after leaving you guys, while I wasn't quite melting through enemies like butter, I could at least take down an armour-pip with a single magazine (far better than I could do previously).

Looking at my last two inventory shots side by side... I've only really improved toughness (massively thanks to armour re-rolls). Skill Power and Primary DPS are down and slightly up respectively, and I don't have enough firearms/stamina/electronics to get my primary weapon talents to activate. I think I may have sold my raid backpack which is okay as the high-end one gives me about 100k toughness on its own, but it was a Predator backpack which would have given me three of that particular set.

Also need to replace the LMG with a Marksman's Rifle.. their headshot damage is far superior than the LMG's spam (and I rolled a +2k marksman on one of my armour pieces).

Oh well, shitloads of fun!
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 21 Jun 2016, 06:13

I really should get back into this, still stuck at level 27
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 21 Jun 2016, 10:20

DarkMellie wrote:Greatly improved... thanks to Spooler and his mates running me through Falcon Lost and Clear Sky!

Oh well, shitloads of fun!
See. It's not a bad game :P

It's easier than people believe it to be.

Spooler wrote:honestly every stat other than armor can be lived without. They help sure but they're not essential.

Gear score really just means that your build is better by percentage ... you generally need the same stats on the same pieces though.
Yeah I agree to a degree - it's definitely the number one thing to focus on. But once you hit 75% it all comes down to the nitty gritties.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 21 Jun 2016, 21:36

DarkMellie wrote:Greatly improved... thanks to Spooler and his mates running me through Falcon Lost and Clear Sky!

You are most welcome glad you got some upgrades !
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 21 Jun 2016, 23:36

Another night of The Division. Dailies done, weekly almost entirely completed (but for missions and tools). Went utterly spastic in the DZ with a random friendly I grouped up with... ripped out a massive stack of items (very few of which were worth equipping) and now have nearly a million credits. All my gear has had its armour re-rolled too so I just have that cash sitting there waiting for new pieces.

Not sure what's next from here... re-running raids? Are they worth doing more than once a week?

Also.. what's Division Tech used for? Is that for crafting of raid pieces or something?
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 22 Jun 2016, 11:27

DarkMellie wrote:Not sure what's next from here... re-running raids? Are they worth doing more than once a week?

Also.. what's Division Tech used for? Is that for crafting of raid pieces or something?
It get's to a point where no, it's not worth running them more than once a week. Unless you wanna farm $$ or mats.

Division tech is used for crafting.
You can make crafting materials from it, or it can contribute to creating certain items.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 22 Jun 2016, 12:16

the raids will still give you 1 set item and 2 high ends with each completion aswell as some materials and cash so if you enjoy them/have nothing better to do then yea it's worth it more than once a week if not then no.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 22 Jun 2016, 13:38

Then what else do you do? Knocking over daily missions and weekly challenges is a doddle, takes very little time at all!
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 22 Jun 2016, 15:31

Honestly ... wait for the weekly resets or roam around the dark zone ... not eally a fan of the dark zone due to the pvp in it but when you get a quiet instance it's nice.

Other than that farm intelligence/materials.
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 22 Jun 2016, 16:43

DarkMellie wrote:Then what else do you do? Knocking over daily missions and weekly challenges is a doddle, takes very little time at all!
Intelligence missions.

There are dailies and weeklies of those.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 22 Jun 2016, 18:36

Oh yes, HVTs. Sweet, there's lots of those, that should keep me busy.

I don't mind the Dark Zone except that now Spooler and friends have locked me into the 200+ range (which is apparently a dog's breakfast).
0 x