Minecraft

Lets go build something
acegiak

Re: Minecraft

Post by acegiak » 08 Nov 2015, 22:11

I'll do it around midday adelaide time tomorrow. I'll try and write up a bit of doco for the custom plugins in that time too.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 08 Nov 2015, 22:14

coolies, if i jump on it'll be after i put the kids to bed but i'll definitely have a look, been playing modded minecraft more lately, vanilla might be a nice change
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 09 Nov 2015, 11:20

acegiak wrote:I am pretty grumpy about the whole "windows 10 version" because it's such a Microsoft move. I guarantee we'll see their investment in development shift to make the Xbox and Windows 10 versions the flagship Minecraft versions and the rest of us will end up being left out in the cold. /end angry linux gamer rant
Microsoft isn't the same company it was in the 90s

They are very much about services these days, just wanting to get Windows and Office on to as many platforms as possible. The more people that can see and use MS products, the more money they make.

I reckon they are taking the same approach with Minecraft. The PS4 and PS Vita versions came out around the time of the buy out. 90s Microsoft would have cancelled those versions.
0 x

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 09 Nov 2015, 11:24

jambo wrote:
acegiak wrote:I am pretty grumpy about the whole "windows 10 version" because it's such a Microsoft move. I guarantee we'll see their investment in development shift to make the Xbox and Windows 10 versions the flagship Minecraft versions and the rest of us will end up being left out in the cold. /end angry linux gamer rant
Microsoft isn't the same company it was in the 90s

They are very much about services these days, just wanting to get Windows and Office on to as many platforms as possible. The more people that can see and use MS products, the more money they make.

I reckon they are taking the same approach with Minecraft. The PS4 and PS Vita versions came out around the time of the buy out. 90s Microsoft would have cancelled those versions.
I guess it just looks to me like they're trying to use minecraft to lock in the position of Windows as the gaming OS with younger generations despite all the awesome work Valve has been doing making gaming on Linux a serious option.

I've updated the info page for my minecraft server.
http://machinespirit.net/games/minecraft/

Not sure if I should pick out a seed or just use a random one.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2015, 11:31

just use a random one, i'm sure we will shape the environment to our will soon enough anyway :)
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 09 Nov 2015, 11:34

acegiak wrote:I guess it just looks to me like they're trying to use minecraft to lock in the position of Windows as the gaming OS with younger generations despite all the awesome work Valve has been doing making gaming on Linux a serious option.
Valve have been doing good work, but I don't think enough devs are going to support Linux going forward. The Steam Machine stuff has hardly made a splash and going by Valve's own Hardware Survey from last month the Linux population makes up 0.95% of the total Steam ecosystem.

You try convincing developers and publishers to spend extra money on programming, testing and bug fixing for a platform that makes up less than a percent of the Steam base.
acegiak wrote:I've updated the info page for my minecraft server.
http://machinespirit.net/games/minecraft/

Not sure if I should pick out a seed or just use a random one.
Maybe make the seed "playerattack" =P
0 x

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 09 Nov 2015, 11:41

jambo wrote:
acegiak wrote:I guess it just looks to me like they're trying to use minecraft to lock in the position of Windows as the gaming OS with younger generations despite all the awesome work Valve has been doing making gaming on Linux a serious option.
Valve have been doing good work, but I don't think enough devs are going to support Linux going forward. The Steam Machine stuff has hardly made a splash and going by Valve's own Hardware Survey from last month the Linux population makes up 0.95% of the total Steam ecosystem.

You try convincing developers and publishers to spend extra money on programming, testing and bug fixing for a platform that makes up less than a percent of the Steam base.
I feel like just having Steam on Linux has massively increased the number of Linux compatible titles available because a lot of titles are running on cross-platform engines anyway and that's an extra 1% of potential sales. So far from my perspective Linux gaming has been improving massively over the last few years.
jambo wrote: Maybe make the seed "playerattack" =P
Done and done.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 09 Nov 2015, 11:49

Good to hear there has been an increase in games coming to Linux, I'm outside the bubble so I don't really know the numbers.

Is it AAA stuff, or mostly AA and Indie?

Also regarding Minecraft, I haven't played in ages, but I really want to make it all the way to the end credits of the game. Would be cool to get some people together and have a go at it.

Is your server just a vanilla experience?
0 x

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 09 Nov 2015, 12:16

My server is vanilla with a couple of mods added on for taste. The main thing that is different is that it has Dobby as a chatbot deity and I wrote a plugin to randomly spawn better dungeons and occasional quests/minibosses.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 09 Nov 2015, 12:18

Ooh nice.

Would any of that require me to do anything, or can I just use my normal Minecraft launcher to get on?

I haven't played in years so a bit out of the loop.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2015, 12:28

should all be serverside jambo so just download and jump in, need to find a suitable texture pack though. haven't played vanilla for a while and I'd forgotten what it looked like
0 x

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 09 Nov 2015, 12:31

Yeah it's all serverside so you can just jump in with your vanilla client. I'm using default textures but have a shader mod installed, kharis, looks super pretty
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2015, 12:33

i'll have a play tonight when i get home :)
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 09 Nov 2015, 13:26

good to know there are a couple of options when the gon server goes, and I also don't mind a reset every few months it adds to the creative thinking, discovering new lands.

and good to hear from you Meare it's been a few months since we chatted, and I haven't forgotten your kindness... your xmas present is on my steam wishlist just waiting for that sale :)
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 09 Nov 2015, 15:45

No xmas present needed here mate, and anything I've given has only ever cost me like a buck or two :) I still feel like I have a backlog I'll never get through, and that's after requesting Steam to cut my games back to around 50 titles. I'm going to start an online petition (because they always work!) for another day in the week, in the name of gaming. We will call it Playday and it will come after Sunday!

Definitely good having Minecraft options, though hard to pry myself away from the server I've called home as it has been taking shape for probably nearly 2 years now without a reset.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 11 Nov 2015, 12:26

thanks Meare, but you don't run fast enough :P
we should hook up for some games over summer, there are a few on our steam library's that could deliver some fun.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 11 Nov 2015, 13:16

Acegiak, your server sounds awesome... sadly, i'm fairly deep into my mcau build so am unlikely to join (unless they do a server wipe).

You can rank up with MCAU if you can make a nice house (for level 1) or a Wonder (for level 2). Had some regulars visit my cliffside house and reckon it'll easily pass the promotion test but I'll need to finish the kitchen and patio areas first. It's my first proper build.. I've always just built blocky houses (or underground so I don't have to deal with roofing) and used glass blocks as pretty much my only decoration. Now I've got couches, filigree, artful waterfalls, proper beds and more. Last night, I only played Fallout up to leading the Minutemen back to Concord, the rest of the night went into Minecraft (as will most of tonight).
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 11 Nov 2015, 13:21

My current house is a big square room with a garden on the roof. Might have to make some pretty soon
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 11 Nov 2015, 15:53

/me pokes around a bit :)
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 11 Nov 2015, 16:23

Acegiak your server does look very good, dyna map always very welcome; will have a look soon :)
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 11 Nov 2015, 23:46

Finished my cliffside house and invited a judge over to review it for promotion.

"It seems unfinished" he says, then proceeds to give me a magic hoe to 'even up' the corners where I had exposed wood. Most of the stuff he called out was a design decision so even if he doesn't like it, I don't care, I love it.

I shall get a picture of my kitchen splashback next time... it's magnificent :D
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 11 Nov 2015, 23:58

brimlad wrote:thanks Meare, but you don't run fast enough :P
we should hook up for some games over summer, there are a few on our steam library's that could deliver some fun.
Nearly missed this post. For sure, mate. I often get caught out with the time difference with being in WA, particularly when DST creates a 3 hr difference. By the time I sit down to play most of you easterners have gone off to bed. Weekends tend to work out better in that regard, as I get on earlier. Sounds good to me though :)
DarkMellie wrote:Finished my cliffside house and invited a judge over to review it for promotion.
Some nice modern influence in that design it seems!
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 12 Nov 2015, 10:31

DarkMellie wrote:Finished my cliffside house and invited a judge over to review it for promotion.

That looks surprisingly similar to a house I built in the middle of an exploded mountain! I love the idea of stuff being built in to cliffs and walls.

Really getting the urge to play MC again. But Fallout 4.
0 x

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 12 Nov 2015, 11:22

DarkMellie wrote:Acegiak, your server sounds awesome... sadly, i'm fairly deep into my mcau build so am unlikely to join (unless they do a server wipe).
Totally understand the investment in major builds. Thats part of the reason I find map wipes so painful but the sense of community and exploration with new maps is too cool not to do it every so often. Feel free to drop in on the server and just have a poke around without committing to anything.

Also to all the people that have joined in on the server, thanks for coming and playing! It's so lovely to be able to play on a server with other people that are nice especially when you're having a hard day.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 12 Nov 2015, 11:35

I shall try and get on a bit more over the next few days, but Fallout...
0 x