Victor Vran

Step into someone else's shoes for a while, and live out their experiences all from the comfort of your chair.
Mugsy

Victor Vran

Post by Mugsy » 09 Apr 2016, 09:10

I'm enjoying this ARPG that Meare innocently lured me into. :P

(the trailer that Humble Bundle linked really didn't sell the game to me did it... took word of mouth and a Good Game review - lol. Bajo and Hex have still got it!)

There's no mana/resource system like a traditional Diablo style ARPG... with your choice of weapon comes two special attacks that have a cooldown. You can equip two weapons that you can swap between in battle thus giving you 4 special skills. Then there's the overdrive system... you build up a "super bar" and can unleash an overdrive ability (starting one is meteors falling form the sky). Lastly, there are destiny cards... basically passive skills. Quite a bit of customisation without getting innundated.

I've grown attached to a pretty mean scythe that heals me for 21 hit points per hit. Scythes are also great for any fans of Whirlwind attacks. Love spinning through mobs.

I've decided to gear up using the default set up... that is the overdrive meter builds up as I attack. Was tempted to go for the one that requires crits to build up overdrive since once i get high crit chance and crit damage going, I should be dealing more damage than other setups... but having played Diablo 3 endgame for so long where I've been running with 50-60% crit chance and over 450% crit damage on my builds, I'm feeling like a break from that sort of set up.

The controller setup works really well... I'm preferring it to mouse and kb controls atm though, the map with waypoints seems to require mouse and kb... I can't figure out how to use the gamepad to select way points.

This should be fun in 4 player co-op too... though, the multitude of spiders in the first part of the game got a bit repetitive. They could have thrown in the odd zombie. The game is also guilty of using the method of a large, different colour, and glowing monster to symbolise elites.

Here's a guide for all secret stash locations for all maps for those who don't want to back track too much...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =444466574
0 x

GamingKen

Re: Victor Vran

Post by GamingKen » 09 Apr 2016, 13:20

Had about an hours play last night, after a snooze on the couch, and absolutely loved it. Gamepad controls are great, and so far I am enjoying all aspects of the games. I think the Good Game review was spot on and I'm very happy I gave into temptation and got the Humble Bundle. If anyone is even slightly into games like Diablo and Torchlight, or the Van Helsing series, I'd suggest grabbing this Humble Bundle for Victor Vran. Two thumbs up, and I see many hours ahead in this game!
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 09 Apr 2016, 16:09

Agree Meare. No regrets about purchasing the Humble Bundle based on this game alone.

I've gotten up to level 7 and saved to the coward to get the shared stash. Wishing I hadn't sold some of the destiny cards my main character had found now as I've set up an alt character that uses the crits style of play. Might also make a caster one too... go ranged with that one.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 09 Apr 2016, 16:30

Mearehear wrote:the Van Helsing series
Was going to say the visual style looks quite a bit like Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, thought it might even have been the same developer.

Certainly looks and sounds interesting, might pick it up too. :thumbup:
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 09 Apr 2016, 16:46

Go for it Mythor. I know you like your Diablo 3 and this plays just as good as Diablo does.

Note that the game doesn't have classes (since it's just the one character)... the weapons you choose to use and costume you choose to wear will determine your style of play, special skills, and how your overdrive is topped up. You might just find yourself doing what I did and starting 3 different save slots to try out the 3 different costumes you can start with.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 09 Apr 2016, 17:38

Mythor wrote:
Mearehear wrote:the Van Helsing series
Was going to say the visual style looks quite a bit like Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, thought it might even have been the same developer.

Certainly looks and sounds interesting, might pick it up too. :thumbup:
Style wise, I would say it is definitely the most comparable to Van Helsing. However this is made by the people behind the Tropico games and it is their first attempt at an ARPG (and a damn good one attempt at that) I only ever played the first Van Helsing and I'd have to say, in my opinion, this is better than that. Seems to run better performance wise (my PC is old, so that matters to me), has a much clearer UI, gamepad controls feel nicer and as though they were thought out with the game development rather than being tacked on at the end. At the moment my only gripe with Victor Vran would be is that it has been very easy, but I am only at level 5 so far and I have read that it amps up the difficulty after level 8. Much of the hour I have played is really teaching you through game play - So not really much of a gripe, and there are options for Hardcore mode etc anyway. :)
Mugsy wrote: Note that the game doesn't have classes (since it's just the one character)... the weapons you choose to use and costume you choose to wear will determine your style of play, special skills, and how your overdrive is topped up. You might just find yourself doing what I did and starting 3 different save slots to try out the 3 different costumes you can start with.
I am probably going to do exactly that too. Play 3 characters up to level 5 or so and experience the differences.
0 x

Artful-dodgeR
Location: A part of Victoria that is basically South Australia.

Post by Artful-dodgeR » 09 Apr 2016, 17:47

How's the co-op? Been meaning to find a new game to play with waifu-das~~ and we played the shit out of torchlight/helsing... sounds like this may be a winrar.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 09 Apr 2016, 17:52

Artful-dodgeR wrote:How's the co-op? Been meaning to find a new game to play with waifu-das~~ and we played the shit out of torchlight/helsing... sounds like this may be a winrar.
Haven't tried it yet, but all the expected options seem to be there for co-op. You can launch into your game as a single player session or open it as an online session, allowing it to be joined, up to a party of 4. I presume that allows you to limit it to friends/private invitation, or have it open to public connections too.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 09 Apr 2016, 17:57

Artful-dodgeR wrote:How's the co-op? Been meaning to find a new game to play with waifu-das~~ and we played the shit out of torchlight/helsing... sounds like this may be a winrar.
I've yet to try out co-op but from reviews, it's 4 players and it seems to work perfectly fine. I didn't join any but there's a few public games that did pop up when I went to the online game browser.
Mearehear wrote:Seems to run better performance wise (my PC is old, so that matters to me), has a much clearer UI, gamepad controls feel nicer and as though they were thought out with the game development rather than being tacked on at the end.
I haven't played any of the Van Helsings... I have the second one but it's a 20Gb install!... for an indie ARPG that's a bit excessive to me and seems to say "unoptimised".
Mearehear wrote:I am probably going to do exactly that too. Play 3 characters up to level 5 or so and experience the differences.
Could be worth playing multiple characters through simultaneously. I did this with Torchlight and Diablo 3 as I'd find gear that was better for another class/build constantly. Of course, part of me is thinking of just getting to the shared stash and then passing the costume to my main... and then I can switch between builds that way (assuming the idea works).
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 09 Apr 2016, 19:05

They added heaps of stuff to Van Helsing, lots of voice acting and so on. The "Final Cut", which is an amalgam of all three games, is 56GB. I have it installed but still haven't started, though I finished the first. Maybe they could compress it some more but it really is quite big.

I assume the Victor Vran multiplayer is just peer to peer, not client-server?
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 09 Apr 2016, 20:59

Mythor wrote:I assume the Victor Vran multiplayer is just peer to peer, not client-server?
Dedicated servers according to this but for single player you don't need to be online unlike some other ARPGs:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/345180/d ... 072105740/

They have lobbies where people post codes for bounties etc which I'm assuming is why there's a dedicated server structure.

Oh, and the shared stash grows as you need more tabs ;-)
Mearehear wrote:Play 3 characters up to level 5 or so and experience the differences.
Well, I've played 3 characters up to where you get the shared stash and I really don't know which costume I want to play as. I do enjoy the caster variant when paired with shotguns but I'm surprised how quickly you build up overdrive even with 10% crit. My crit build is up to 50% crit now when used with a sick scythe and a 8% passive card. Also got that frost nova passive when you crit or something which looks quite potent.

Both my normal and crit based builds have got scythes that have life steal, as well as a big arse hammer. Love that combo. I might just go with the crit variant because it looks cooler - lol.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 09 Apr 2016, 21:36

Found that dedicated server thing as well, can't see anything about people being able to run their own though. Don't want it to be laggy in MP... but I bought the bundle anyway, because it's very cheap and there's 2+ weeks until more Diablo 3 time. :D

If anyone plays the MP before I get a chance to do so, please report back!
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 09 Apr 2016, 23:07

I still haven't tried multiplay yet mate but add me in Steam if you haven't already (too many people with aliases different to their aliases in forums... can't keep track - lol)

Meare's obviously got the game, and I'm assuming kharis has got the game too as she had a spare GRAV key to give away. So there's at least 4 of us for some multiplayer action.

Some info for those who plan on making different builds using the different costumes (that affect how the overdrive meter is built up):

- I'm finding the crit based one to be more effective building up overdrive even when you have crit as low as 10%... but then I use AOE based weapons like the hammer. And it's easy cranking your crit chance to 30+
- there's a destiny card that grants 7% life steal with all weapons that's good with high damage weapons. Also another one that gives back life on crit... seems to be better if you're using low damage range weapons such as rapiers

EDIT: looks like items are level bound... it just don't show up if you meet the level requirements!
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Apr 2016, 12:05

Anyone wanting to get their hands on the Wanderer outfit (a special gift to those who got into the game during early access), you can download a save with the outfit. This might be obvious but DO NOT REPLACE YOUR FILES!

http://www.gameforsave.com/blog/victor-vran-save-game/

Rename to a number where you haven't used that slot yet (I chose 4). The Wanderer outfit is the same as the Cavalier one in terms of traits but looks less gay. The save also includes a pretty cool lightning gun that allows you to accumulate overdrive 53% faster... great for this outfit.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 10 Apr 2016, 12:12

yup sorry i do have this :) haven't fired it up yet though, should get around to it
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Apr 2016, 12:49

LOL... too many games to play!

It's the problem with humble bundles, you never have time to play all the games when you first get the bundle.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Apr 2016, 15:31

Another little hint... you can't move outfits between characters. The game prohibits you from stashing outfits.

So when you reach level 15 and get to choose yourself a new outfit, think carefully about what you want. I decided to pick up the Zealot's outfit (which you can't pick at the start) but I ended up sticking with the (Kung Lao inspired) Vigilante's outfit instead.

I'm looking forward to getting access to Transmutations at the next level!
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Apr 2016, 19:15

So, after pumping more than 12hrs into the game since picking the game up on Friday, I've gotten transmutations unlocked. For a measly $1k gold and 3 normal items, you can upgrade it to a guaranteed green item! So there's no reason why anyone should be running with crap weapons come level 16! lol
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Apr 2016, 07:35

Mythor wrote:If anyone plays the MP before I get a chance to do so, please report back!
I finally spent some time in a MP game... joined a pub one. Netcode runs fine. No idea where the other two in the game were from but there was zippo lag what so ever. Really fun session. Got to lvl20

Back when I was lvl16, in order to try stuff out without advancing too much in level, I transmuted a bunch of duped reward chest to get a legendary one so I could try out the legendaries in the game (which don't drop till you're lvl23). The lvl 20 rare item drops I got last night have already made those duped chest legendaries obsolete - lol

I guess the point is that the power growth in the game progresses at a reasonable pace so you always have an upgrade to look forward to, even if you've got yourself a legendary or two.

Not sure what level everyone else is at but if anyone is still at a lower level, I do have other lower level character so that multiplay remains balanced.

In saying that, when I was running around with two lvl11 and 13 players last night, my lvl18+ toon died just as much and didn't do too much more damage since we were all using weapons in that lvl10-19 range (damage in gear drops seems to increase every 10 levels). I'll just use a weapon with lower damage range on my lvl20 toon. I'd just have more destiny cards on me and a higher health pool due to the higher level.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Apr 2016, 08:06

And another little tip... don't get rid of low level destiny cards, esp ones with good divine attributes.

When you hit lvl 20 and 30, you get another card slot and, without reconfiging your whole card set up, you may be able to only equip a 1 or 2 point card. So, even a low level card with a good divine attribute (such as 10% life regen when you dip below 32% health) can make a big difference to your survivability.
0 x

Brad

Post by Brad » 02 May 2016, 10:41

I too got this game, same way Mugsy did.

LOVING IT. Level 25/26 right now. I mostly play with at least 2 Hexes active at all times so I think that has helped me levelling and I feel like I am quite strong, not an encounter I cant kite my way though yet, having and only died 4 times thus far, and 3 of those due to me cornering myself against the elementals that spawn 3 more on death.....That encounter was intense.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 09 Sep 2016, 23:01

Looks like the local co-op patch has arrived.

Pity I do do LAN gaming much these days but it's nice to see that it supports multiplayer without the need for an internet connection during play.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 19 Feb 2017, 20:17

Looks like Vranny boy is coming to consoles...

I should probably fire the game up again. It's great fun and I've pretty much done with Diablo 3 for this season.
0 x