Your Fallout 4 Settlements, Show Them To Me

Step into someone else's shoes for a while, and live out their experiences all from the comfort of your chair.
Mythor

Your Fallout 4 Settlements, Show Them To Me

Post by Mythor » 11 Nov 2015, 17:46

Thought now that some of us are far enough into it to start tinkering with the build tools it'd be a good time to start a thread full of ideas for people to pinch. :)
Try and avoid spoilers, where possible, at least to begin with. And feel free to share some advice or ask questions about the settlement stuff.

My first build is utilitarian, to say the least. It's a three storey, all wood construction.
I had to put the flag on the front and illuminate it to make it look slightly more interesting. Will have to redo it at some stage!

For now I've got a couple of lounges for settlers to relax on, 14 basic beds for them to sleep on, a desk with a radio on it. And my Pipboy display case. :D
Later I'm hoping to put some workshops inside and maybe a trader or two? Might need another doorway for that, there's an occasional logjam.

So, what've you guys built? :mrgreen:
1 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Sathias

Re: Your Fallout 4 Settlements, Show Them To Me

Post by Sathias » 11 Nov 2015, 21:01

Is that in Sanctuary Mythor? I've only been playing for a few hours so I've just built a few beds in existing houses for the first group of people you meet. Obviously there is a lot more I can do by the looks of your pic :)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

kharis

Post by kharis » 11 Nov 2015, 21:57

when can you make houses, i'm at the museum, did i miss something
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 11 Nov 2015, 23:43

You can do it before the museum, if you go to "Sanctuary" first. Otherwise, after the museum stuff is done. You haven't missed it. :)

Yes Sathias, that's in Sanctuary. It's the block beside the house where the workshop station is located. You can see that house in the back right of the shot. You can also kind of make out what was Dogmeat's house until the dog I bought claimed it. The "ruined" buildings can be scrapped down to the foundations to give you some room to build.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 12 Nov 2015, 11:43

As I hit level 14 last night and took the second rank of the Local Leader perk I can finally add a store to my settlement!
He wasn't selling or buying anything last night, hoping he will if given enough time. I need more caps. :(
1 x

Giblet

Post by Giblet » 12 Nov 2015, 12:34

Just finished walling in Starlight Drive In this morning. Finished setting up the defence as well, two entrances.

2 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 12 Nov 2015, 13:01

I've spent most of my playtime last night just cleaning up Sanctuary and doing up my house, fixed up my sons bedroom and hung lots of cat pictures in it, set up Dogmeats dog house, little outdoor setting with a grill.

Everyone else got a bed and chair.
Giblet wrote:Just finished walling in Starlight Drive In this morning. Finished setting up the defence as well, two entrances.
Looks awesome. Is that near Sanctuary? I want to go there and fix it all up in my game as well!
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Giblet

Post by Giblet » 12 Nov 2015, 13:06

NotThatDoug wrote:
Giblet wrote:Just finished walling in Starlight Drive In this morning. Finished setting up the defence as well, two entrances.
Looks awesome. Is that near Sanctuary? I want to go there and fix it all up in my game as well!
Yeah it is. The pond in the middle was toxic from some barrels, just remove them in build mode for scrap and its good to use. Time to turn on the recruitment radio for the place and get some people.
1 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 12 Nov 2015, 13:13

I was going to build a raido tower last night then thought no, better not until my defenses are properly set up, don't know who will be listening.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 12 Nov 2015, 19:18

Giblet wrote:
NotThatDoug wrote:
Yeah it is. The pond in the middle was toxic from some barrels, just remove them in build mode for scrap and its good to use. Time to turn on the recruitment radio for the place and get some people.
I was just about to ask that! I've been fixing up that area myself, but wasn't sure what I could do about the radiation :)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 12 Nov 2015, 22:13

I didn't think of removing the barrels either. Silly. :D
That's a great build you've got going Giblet. Not sure I even have enough steel to go all the way around that place yet. Saving some of the interiors of houses and other settlements for scrapping once I have the next Scrapper perk. Need more STUFF!
0 x

Giblet

Post by Giblet » 13 Nov 2015, 00:10

Build a water purifier and it will automatically add purified water to your workshop. Apparently the same goes for caps from shops and food from farms. I have been getting purified water from mine at Starlight.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 13 Nov 2015, 01:29

Can anyone explain how to light my house up? Do I just have to cover my house in wires?
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 13 Nov 2015, 01:58

Didn't know about the purified water. Bottlecaps get added over time once you have stores though. It's not very many but I guess it'll add up?

I think if you have metal panels on your walls they'll conduct the electricity but I'm not sure. I tried to put a second light under the flag on my building but it wouldn't come on.
There's little nubs you can attach to things like a TV to give it power via a wire from a generator. Try one of those?
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Re: RE: Re: Your Fallout 4 Settlements, Show Them To Me

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 13 Nov 2015, 09:17

Matty wrote:Can anyone explain how to light my house up? Do I just have to cover my house in wires?
Things that only require 1 unit of power can be powered just by being near a conduit and don't need to be wired up.
1 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 13 Nov 2015, 10:25

Anyone else still living in their house from before the bomb? I've been thinking about building something awesome on one of the foundations next to the work shop, also I don't quite get the whole assigning NPCs to a roll, I tell them to go man the guard tower and they go there for a bit but then wander off... think I need to find a guide to the settlement stuff.

Its so much fun though, I finally ran out of some materials so I've headed off to the wasteland now to find more copper
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 13 Nov 2015, 11:55

Not really living anywhere, too busy rescuing more settlements. :D

So long as someone's been assigned to a guard post or food plant they seem to keep producing their defense or food value. Wouldn't mind if they were wandering off for naps but I frequently find Preston banging on metal panels in my workshop house instead of standing guard.
Am hoping a modder comes up with a better system of managing your peeps, or at least highlighting your unused ones. I don't want to take farmers away to operate my stores. :(
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 13 Nov 2015, 12:07

I need to get into building something, too many games not enough time
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 13 Nov 2015, 13:30

I found out how electricity works! So if an item has a lighting bolt and a number it requires a direct connection. If item just has the lightning bolt, like house fixtures/lamps, it needs to be within a pylon/connectors sphere of influence. The sphere of influence for a pylon/conduit/connector is a box measuring 2 walls wide, 2 walls high and 2 wall deep (so a 2x2x2 box). To power fixtures you can dasiy chain conduit/connectors around the outside walls of the house.
1 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 13 Nov 2015, 15:10

I did up the man cave a little bit.

Now Marcy is on the roof, she's seriously whacked up in my game.

Every boy needs his big toys.

I need to find somewhere to hang my BoS flag.
1 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 13 Nov 2015, 15:17

She'll despawn eventually. A friend of mine got the idea of putting guns on the roof because Preston glitched out during a raider attack and ended up on the roof. Also totally gonna build Ten Penny Tower.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 13 Nov 2015, 15:19

I just hope no one steals that Nuka Cola Quantum.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 13 Nov 2015, 15:20

I've noticed you can lay objects around and it doesn't mess up like in Skyrim. I started lining up my lunchboxes.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 13 Nov 2015, 15:36

I had just come back for a visit and we had a raider attack, caught me unawares as I was in build mode but they were easy to kill. So in Sanctuary I had to finally get around to shoring up some areas. But the best thing I did was built a stair case and carried to different buildings and then would place a turret up the top on buildings near gaps in the fence line.

Something I read earlier when trying to figure out some details, when you park your extra Power Armor, make sure you have taken out the fusion core as one guy had a raider come and take his while he was relaxing in Sanctuary... he had to fight the guy though to get it back and someone else mentioned they had one of their villagers get in and walk around with it.

Also, I want a way to find people in the base easier. I had a new lady come to Sanctuary and I went to assign her a job and just couldn't find her.. ran around for ages.. seems she was stuck in some long grass...
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 13 Nov 2015, 15:56

Install a bell, when you ring it all the settlers will come to it.
1 x