Your Fallout 4 Settlements, Show Them To Me

Step into someone else's shoes for a while, and live out their experiences all from the comfort of your chair.
Aoyaibaba

Re: Your Fallout 4 Settlements, Show Them To Me

Post by Aoyaibaba » 28 Nov 2015, 22:33

There's a way to glitch the size limit of your settlement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8A6M1_lAds
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 30 Nov 2015, 00:40

Thought the settlement increasing mod may have broken my Pipboy after finally trying it, but after reverting saves and reloading it's just when I approach the normal limit for a settlement it no longer lets me fast travel until I move away from the settlement. Annoying.

After a couple of revisions and attempts to fit it in under the regular limit I finally gave up and just put this up in lights.
That took way too long and I've got so many resources tied up in light panels now. Oh well! :D
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 30 Nov 2015, 12:40

Typically I just build a wall around my settlements, slather the wall in turrets and call it a day. Examples:

Made a bit more of an effort with Greygarden because I thought the setting was neat;

Took me bloody ages to figure out that spiral staircase and create a somewhat realistic looking link between the building and the ground. Also annoyed about how much a few of the foundation blocks clip through the roadway up top, but what can you do? No better options.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 30 Nov 2015, 12:49

You can build up there?! Wow. Definitely going to try that.
1 x

Aoyaibaba

Post by Aoyaibaba » 30 Nov 2015, 13:57

how you managed to build everything so straight?
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 30 Nov 2015, 14:21

Shack Foundations (found in wooden floors) are your best friend. The concrete bottom clips through the terrain and lets you build flat things without anything looking like it's floating/sinking into the ground. If you want to build things higher/lower you can attach Shack Stairwells (also in wooden floors) to the sides of foundation blocks to move up and down and then the next level of foundation blocks/walls/floors/etc will snap on at exactly the right height.

After that it's a bit of trial and error snapping on/removing/moving enough pieces here and there to see if everything is going to fit in and shape up how you want it to.
Last edited by Yurtles on 30 Nov 2015, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 30 Nov 2015, 14:48

Here's some really helpful links about building that I've bookmarked over the past few weeks;

General tips that everyone should know about Fallout (with a heap of building tips included): https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3 ... d_edition/

How powering your settlement works: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3 ... ettlement/

Holding E while building: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3 ... t_it_will/

The post about Shack Foundations that I use a ton: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3 ... orm_using/

How to make seamless junk fences (not walls, fences): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjausOrCEw

How to remove inconvenient shrubs (haven't tried it): http://imgur.com/a/20hXC

How to make an animated billboard (haven't tried this either): http://imgur.com/a/c2d6t

Also an interesting thing I noticed, the big gate in junk fences is exactly 2 squares wide - If you build 4 shack foundations (or whatever floor/wall) tile you like really) across and then delete the middle two the gate will fit perfectly into the gap.
0 x

korbain

Post by korbain » 30 Nov 2015, 15:46

Mythor wrote:You can build up there?! Wow. Definitely going to try that.
I know?! I didn't even think of trying it. Hell i just left that settlement and made one of the mr handy's connect a supply line lol I might go back and fix it up.

They're only at 50% happiness, they seemed happy doing gardening but apparently mr handy's like food and water :p

Some of these settlements are works of art haha I've really pimped out the drive in movie theatre settlement. That's my main one. I've only explored like half the map though, the castle looks awesome!
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 01 Dec 2015, 16:00

I've started building in Covenant. It's a place where all the houses look prewar and it's already surrounded by a concrete wall with razor wire and one entrance which is a steal door which automatically closes, and a heap of places to put sentries and it already has power to the houses. It's a little buggy though, but hey, I got glass windows and a double bed with brand new sheets on it.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 02 Dec 2015, 00:48

Was going for a terraced, built into the slope kind of a thing. Sort of worked, still playing around with it. The shack over on the right is my generators because some people have claimed putting beds too close to them makes settlers unhappy and I wanted to test it. Still have more building to go before I get an answer on that. Edit: Changed the picture, not much different.

Last edited by Yurtles on 02 Dec 2015, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 02 Dec 2015, 01:31

Turns out I can build on top of the roof of the Red Rocket Truck Stop. Decided to try my hand at building a tower and use it as a base for all my companions.

Trickiest part was getting the stairs up and making sure the NPCs could find a path inside. But now I've hit the build limit before I've fully decked out the place...looks like I'll download the mod off nexus to eliminate the restriction.

0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 02 Dec 2015, 01:49

Cool, I look forward to seeing the finished product Ralph. I just use the Red Rocket as my supply line hub, 20 mattresses under the open roof and a dozen machine-gun turrets around the top. Didn't try too hard because the settlers are never actually there anyway. Why should I give them something nice if they'll never use it?! Bunch of ingrates.
ImageImage
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 02 Dec 2015, 11:03

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Turns out I can build on top of the roof of the Red Rocket Truck Stop.
I built stairs at the rear of the building when I tried this, your solution looks a lot neater. I spent a lot of time trying to get everything squared with the proper building so it would look neat and then ended up not playing that character anyway...
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 02 Dec 2015, 11:18

Yurtles wrote:Cool, I look forward to seeing the finished product Ralph. I just use the Red Rocket as my supply line hub, 20 mattresses under the open roof and a dozen machine-gun turrets around the top.
Speaking of supply line, I used Starlight Drive-In as my supply hub as it had a large build area which would potentially fit in all those Brahmi coming in and out. But is there a limit as to how many supply lines a settlement can take? Does it affect population size? Because I can no longer send provisioners to Starlight. I tried to make it a "supply/trading hub" with the about 3 guards and 4 farmers, but also have about 3 shops running. I think I need to downsize the permanent residents?
Mythor wrote:I built stairs at the rear of the building when I tried this, your solution looks a lot neater. I spent a lot of time trying to get everything squared with the proper building so it would look neat and then ended up not playing that character anyway...
Heh well I spent an hour or so last night initially building on the ground, then as I climbed up I noticed the roof was flat and thought, "Hmmm I wonder if I can build on top". And it turns out I could, so another hour was spent scrapping and building. My entire playtime last night was devoted to building :D Getting the stairs right is tricky and there was a slight issue with the NPC not being able to enter the doorway which I had to fix with the little steps.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 02 Dec 2015, 11:23

If the settlement you're trying to send a supply line to is full to your limit (Your Charisma + plus 10) it doesn't seem to let you assign a supply line to there - even though they're not going actually move to that settlement, just supply it and stay at wherever you're sending them from.

Just take some drugs or put on some charisma gear and it'll work then. Also works if you want to send more people to a settlement than your limit, allegedly you can get up to 40 settlers in one place if you take enough drugs and wear the right gear.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 03 Dec 2015, 21:23

A bar for Sanctuary

Made some modifications to my old pre-war garage

Farmers working diligently
0 x

Aoyaibaba

Post by Aoyaibaba » 04 Dec 2015, 16:10

Nice!
the ingame description said if you have a bar then people will randomly sit there and have drinks, but I've never seen them do that
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 09 Dec 2015, 13:01

Something I learned:

Supply lines provide you access to not just the junk/building materials for all settlements, but also excess food/water generated by a settlement goes into a ‘pool’ for other settlements to access if they’re not generating enough on their own.

For example

Settlement 1 : 5 settlers, 10 food, 10 water
Settlement 2: 5 settlers, 10 food, 10 water
Settlement 3: 10 settlers, 0 food, 0 water

If all these settlements are linked, then the excess food and water from settlements 1 & 2 will meet the needs of settlement 3. The food and water rating for settlement 3 will still show 0, but it will be green and therefore the settlers will be happy.

To that end, my plan is to make certain settlements like Graygarden, Abernathy Farm and Greentop Nursery which have large fields become surplus food generators. The Castle, Nordhagen Beach, and Sanctuary have access to a water source and can be used for excess water generation.

Something else I heard which I want to try out, is that trading shops only generate income when there are IDLE settlers (not assigned to tasks) around.

So my aim is to have settlements which have specific roles:

1. Food generation
2. Water generation
3. Population generation (radio beacons)
4. Military outposts (comprised primarily of guard outposts and artillery)
5. Income generation (with multiple shops and idle settlers)

Oh, and I made Sunshine Coop an all-female hippie settlement walking around around in their underwear :D
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 09 Dec 2015, 13:17

Which settlement do the Provisioners running the Supply Lines count against? Do they even count against any of them? I was trying not to use them in my current game but had to run a line between Sanctuary and Starlight so I could build more sentry guns without lugging things all the time.
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 09 Dec 2015, 13:32

Anecdotally, the original settlement you sent them from is the one they count against, BUT the settlement you send them to must have at least one spare slot to travel there.

So I actually have two (so far) settlements where the majority of supply lines run to. I'll take a screenie when I get home. I defintely have supply lines for each settlement because lugging material between settlements is wayyyyyy too time consuming.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 09 Dec 2015, 13:37

I've set up my lines like this.

0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 09 Dec 2015, 13:40

Does that work, Moose? I was considering doing lines something like that but wasn't entirely sure it would actually make them all share everything?
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 09 Dec 2015, 13:41

Yeah it works fine. I generally store everything at Sanctuary and it's available at all my settlements.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 09 Dec 2015, 14:59

Who are you using for your provisioner going to Spectacle Island? I read you should make it a ghoul as then they won't be affected by the radiation in the water. Either that or a robot. Human provisioners apparently die when making that run.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 09 Dec 2015, 15:12

Bicketybam wrote:Human provisioners apparently die when making that run.
I found that out the hard way. :lol:
I use ghouls from The Slog to do the Warwick Farm > Spectacle Island > The Castle run
That whole section of the map is pretty dodgy with supply lines, runners just try to swim or take stupid routes getting themselves killed. I haven't had any issues using the ghouls though, sometimes they don't physically make it to the island, but the supply line still works.
0 x