Fallout 4 - play discussion

Step into someone else's shoes for a while, and live out their experiences all from the comfort of your chair.
Mythor

Re: Fallout 4 - play discussion

Post by Mythor » 18 Apr 2017, 21:50

My "finish the main story" playthrough went to the Brotherhood as well. They seemed to have a decent plan and the firepower to get it done. And it meant I didn't have to cut ties to the Minutemen.

There's heaps of power armour hiding around the Commonwealth, even if you don't want to wear any particular suits it's fun to collect them and store them at your settlements. Just remember to take the fusion cores out of the inactive ones so nobody jumps in one. :D
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 18 Apr 2017, 21:52

I finished the main story as the Railroad the time I finished the game... I've played it several times since then but ended up not happy with my build and tried something else. I think I'm going to stick to my high STR and INT build that I'm playing atm but not sure who I will finish it as. I might go do the DLC and become a bandit for a while and then decide ;)

Current build has high Big Guns and Pain Train with maxed out T-60 with the jet pack mod so it's pretty fun
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Matty

Post by Matty » 18 Apr 2017, 23:26

I never finished it :( I did everything else and got bored with the main quest. I'll probably give it to the institute because my room is nicer there.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 19 Apr 2017, 08:13

I've done so little of the main story line, whenever I do get on I just go exploring and doing side missions, same thing happens in the elders scrolls games, I escape the tutorial area and don't look back.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 19 Apr 2017, 14:16

I've finished it as the BoS the first time and the Institute. This current one I may side with the Minutemen as I've seen a playthrough with the Railroad ending and wasn't very happy with that either. This current game I've pretty much done everything already, a lot of the side missions and all the DLC and I'm actually hesitant to actually finish the story line as is. Neither of the factions are willing to compromise... so it's no wonder their world was destroyed by nuclear fire.

It's actually kind of depressing how quick they are to "nuke" another faction considering the world they have inherited.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 19 Apr 2017, 18:13

Bicketybam wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 14:16
I've finished it as the BoS the first time and the Institute. This current one I may side with the Minutemen as I've seen a playthrough with the Railroad ending and wasn't very happy with that either. This current game I've pretty much done everything already, a lot of the side missions and all the DLC and I'm actually hesitant to actually finish the story line as is. Neither of the factions are willing to compromise... so it's no wonder their world was destroyed by nuclear fire.

It's actually kind of depressing how quick they are to "nuke" another faction considering the world they have inherited.
Or you could say....

War... War never changes :D
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 19 Apr 2017, 19:50

Is there any decent mod packs out yet or is everything still pick and mix bullshit?
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 19 Apr 2017, 20:02

There are a few compilations, e.g. "Ultimate Fallout 4 Mod Compilation" (has an ordered installation list, nice!), but it's mostly "pick and mix bullshit" because most people would rather pick and choose what suits them.

Google searching for "Fallout 4 mod pack" specific to Nexus forums brings some compilation results up though. Going to look through some of those myself now. :D
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 19 Apr 2017, 20:05

I honestly just stick to the "most popular" mods to find the most glaring issues to fix. I occasionally search for specific mods if something crosses my mind.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 19 Apr 2017, 20:16

How hard is it to find the X-01 power armour? I've read about it and want it.

Am I likely to randomly find it while exploring or is it only located in one or two places? I don't want to look up the location online - if I stumble upon it I think finding it would be more rewarding than Googling it.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 20 Apr 2017, 10:37

Kendrite wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 20:16
How hard is it to find the X-01 power armour? I've read about it and want it.

Am I likely to randomly find it while exploring or is it only located in one or two places? I don't want to look up the location online - if I stumble upon it I think finding it would be more rewarding than Googling it.
It's actually level dependent and is suppose to be found only once you reach level 28 and above.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 20 Apr 2017, 20:06

I'm low level 30 something so I'll keep an eye out for it then - cheers.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 25 Apr 2017, 23:39

Keep forgetting to come post about a mod I tinkered with a bit over the last week, Sim Settlements. Kind of Sim City/Cities: Skylines but for settlements. Plop residential/industrial/commercial/agricultural zones down and your settlers will move in to claim a home, set up farms and shops and stuff. Really neat idea, still being actively developed. Linky: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21872/

Was using it in my first proper attempt at Survival, but it's not as efficient as manually building all the things, so I ended up using lots of my scrap to build more power generators, leaving less for weapon modding etc. Probably wouldn't advise it for a Survival playthrough, unless you're planning on taking a lot of survival-related perks AND the crafting ones to get more scrap.
Definitely wouldn't advise it on an existing save, unless you're okay with it potentially getting trashed. And don't try removing it after you start, because it does lots of fancy scripting things.

Best advice is probably to start a new character just for dinking around in Sim Settlements. You won't have to do as much tinkering with your Settlements but can still have them looking cool and being productive with a little bit of planning. Trying to get a nice layout sorted out with limited resources is quite fun, for a while. :D
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 26 Apr 2017, 07:09

I hit level 50 on my Survival character last night and I only just defeated the Mechanist... still haven't got to The Institute yet and haven't done any of the DLC, so still lots of content to go :-D
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 26 Apr 2017, 10:32

Even at 50 defeating the Mechanist on Survival must have been... tense? :D

I was playing a stealthy character, only got to 19, was still occasionally getting killed in one hit by raiders. 1 in Endurance leaves a lot of points for other stats but not a lot of room for error in combat. :)
Did complete Concord, but precious little else. >_>

Going to reroll in Survival today without Sim Settlements enabled but with raider and minutemen overhauls and fingers crossed for less crashing.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 26 Apr 2017, 17:43

Mythor wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 10:32
Even at 50 defeating the Mechanist on Survival must have been... tense? :D

I was playing a stealthy character, only got to 19, was still occasionally getting killed in one hit by raiders. 1 in Endurance leaves a lot of points for other stats but not a lot of room for error in combat. :)
Did complete Concord, but precious little else. >_>

Going to reroll in Survival today without Sim Settlements enabled but with raider and minutemen overhauls and fingers crossed for less crashing.
My build is a INT 9 science/hacking build so I managed to hack my way around the final Mechanist battle :D

Although it's also STR 10 power armour build with max Big Guns, max Commando and max Science so my Gatling Laser was tearing through all the robots up to that point like butter, so I reckon the final battle wouldn't have been too bad. Cruised through his base without a scratch up until that point. The main bad guys that give me fits is anything with explosions, I'm very wary of mobs with rocket launchers or Super Mutant Suiciders. There has also been plenty of times where I've cleared out tonnes of bad guys then had to re-do the area because I've set off a frag mine I didn't notice :evil: :lol:
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 26 Apr 2017, 18:35

Ahh, yes, avoiding the battle entirely is definitely good if you can. :D

I didn't think Commando worked with Big Guns? I looked into that once as well but all I could find was people saying they don't stack. Was planning Commando in my build, but with regular and energy rifles. May change that plan!
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 26 Apr 2017, 18:43

Oh right, according to the wiki you are right.... well that's bloody stupid, big guns are hard enough to make viable as it is. Still, seems to be working for me.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 26 Apr 2017, 18:50

Thought maybe something had changed in a patch since last I looked. Guess not. If you run into ammo issues with the big guns you could probably use the Commando points for a backup gun? Depending on how close to the weight limit you usually run.
Guess I won't tote a gatling around the wasteland then. :(
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 26 Apr 2017, 19:13

I still use smaller weapons as backups... I found a Deadeye 10mm that I turned into an auto, gives a few seconds of bullet time when aiming... with Commando it's deadly :) I also have an Irradiated Automatic Laser Rifle which does 50 extra radiation damage a shot 8-)
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 13 May 2017, 19:02

Most recent attempt at Survival has gone awry. Was trying to avoid using VATS or stealth, so manual aiming and not using the stealth indicator as an enemy detector. It was mostly fine, until I started running into raiders regularly (like in Corvega!) when I started getting killed a lot. Not sure if it's solely a bad build, as I have the Raider Overhaul installed. But even in some moderately upgraded T-45 things were one-shotting me. Super Mutant with a missile launcher is probably fair, but even raiders with guns... :(

So I'm going to start over yet again. Probably with Sim Settlements again. And eleventy other mods. Anyone found anything good lately? :D
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 13 May 2017, 19:34

I finally finished the main story on normal not long ago. Now just getting around doing random things - think I'm about level 41..

Have been wandering around the southern part of the map. Got a bit exciting when a whole bunch of Mirelurks spawned which I took care of - then a Mirelurk King spawned and I thought awesome - then a GIANT Mirelurk Queen spawned and I though oh sh!t! Took them all out but was pretty intense.

Never tried survival mode. Never ended up installing any mods either so can't help with that. :crazy:
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 14 May 2017, 11:55

Mythor wrote:
13 May 2017, 19:02
Most recent attempt at Survival has gone awry. Was trying to avoid using VATS or stealth, so manual aiming and not using the stealth indicator as an enemy detector. It was mostly fine, until I started running into raiders regularly
You could probably use Gopher's Immersive hud to remove the stealth indicators and any other items should you so choose. I think, not sure as it's been a while since I looked at that mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20830/?

Also... feel like becoming "The Doctor"?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23859/?
0 x