Elite: Dangerous

A place for all the city-builders, world-creators, transport managers, block-arrangers and intergalactic explorers.
Tera

Elite: Dangerous

Post by Tera » 29 Nov 2015, 10:43

I've was on the fence about picking this up since it was released but noticed it's currently 67% off on Steam and grabbed it up.

Loving it so far, super complicated but something you can really sink your teeth into. I've completed a few missions (after dying... several times) and am about to upgrade to a better ship!

I've read the game is a LOT more fun with a wing, so who else has is playing?
0 x

Sathias

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Sathias » 29 Nov 2015, 13:03

Yeah I am getting quite hooked, having picked it up in the same sale :)

I found a good system with a planet with rich metal rings, so equipped myself for mining so I can make some cash for a bounty hunting ship :)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 29 Nov 2015, 13:28

I play fairly regularly.

Last night I flew to the Noti System for this weeks CG, flew about 250Ly to find out in ended 9 hours beforehand. >.> I might have to go back and pick up my Vulture, as I don't have enough credits to properly fit my Clipper for combat.

My CMDR name is A. Moose, feel free to add me Tera and Sath (And anyone else looking for friendly commanders). I can invite you to a private group for a private server which is just my friend and I atm, as we don't really feel safe in open play. :lol:
We can wing up at some point and I can show you the ropes in some resource extraction sites or help you run missions.

Edit: Here's a handy link dump for new players.
http://coriolis.io/ Coriolis Shipyard, a ship planner, perfect to see how much it'll really cost to outfit your Sidewinder.
http://www.edshipyard.com/ Same as above, slightly easier to use UI imo, but doesn't show you your power draw
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteOutfitters Can give you tips and pointers on how to properly outfit ships for their roles
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/ Is a given, can find lots of new information on the E:D reddit page
https://eddb.io/ A fantastic site with a troude router planners, can show you profitable single and mutli hope trade routes, telling you everything you need to know to make credits on the space lanes. You can also use the same site to check what stations are selling which ships and outfittings, so you don't need to fly around aimlessly trying to find that gimballed pulse laser you're looking for.
http://fuelrats.com/ I guarantee it'll happen, you're going to run out of fuel somewhere because you jumped into a system with an unscoopable star or just forgot to refuel last time you were docked. Just think of these guys as the space NRMA, they're there to help you out when you're lost in space with no fuel.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/wiki/subreddits This lists the rest of the E:D subreddits, all of them incredibly handy knowledge pools for this deep and complex game.
0 x

Tera

Post by Tera » 29 Nov 2015, 13:52

Oh, I've already run out of fuel!

Literally straight out of the tutorials I was just zooming around checking everything out and got interdicted. Decided to dogfight and almost had him until EVERYTHING stops. Bingo fuel and sitting duck, haha.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 08 Dec 2015, 11:37

For anyone interested I'm streaming some Elite now in Kausalya, farming one of the hires conflict zones for this weeks community goal. Drop in and say hi!
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 08 Dec 2015, 11:45

Is that on Twitch Anon?
What is your channel?
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 08 Dec 2015, 12:27

MRW I forgot to link the stream in the post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRPu6wPcwhQ
I just stopped for lunch, DVR is on so you should be able to rewind, I'll probably jump back on before work.
Edit: Nevermind, you can't. I am an idiot.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 08 Dec 2015, 12:34

I got the game when it wasn't on steam, is there a way to convert it over?

EDIT: You can and I got it. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=148965
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 08 Dec 2015, 15:29

Mini wrote:Is that on Twitch Anon?
What is your channel?

Until YouTube processes the trim, the vid starts around 5:04.

It's pretty much just an hour in a hires conflict zone flying an A-class fitted Vulture, helping out with the current CG. Made 2mil in combat bonds during that time.

I'll jump on again tomorrow at some point and this time remember the post the live link. :roll:
If anyone's interested in watching it tomorrow, I'll be happy to answer questions in chat and give tips on the game. :D
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 08 Dec 2015, 15:51

Have they added support back in for the latest Rift SDK yet?
After playing it on the Rift I just can't go back to a screen. :(
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 08 Dec 2015, 23:33

LordPorksword wrote:Have they added support back in for the latest Rift SDK yet?
After playing it on the Rift I just can't go back to a screen. :(
As far as I know, Elite only supports the Rift up to SDK 0.6, it doesn't work in 0.7 and up. The HTC Vive has full support, I plan on getting one of them once they release. :D

I just saw this on Reddit and it kind of blew my mind a little bit. The game is drop-dead gorgeous, I haven't pre-ordered Horizons yet, I don't know if I will buy until a price drop happens, but that SRV looks like a lot of fun.
1 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 08 Dec 2015, 23:41

Sweet, nice channel Mooseh, I'll definitely be watching you more.

That vid above of the planet and the end of creation... just wow. I has ED on Xbox and PC and kinda can't make up my mind on which one I want to play. PC obviously more gorgeous and uses my flight gear, but Xbox is on the big screen and is nice and easy with my new xbox Elite controller... but then I watch stuff like your channel and then spend hours just flying around trying not to get screwed on market prices... it never works out like in the movies :D

I'll definitely be getting Horizons though, just for that planetsy goodness.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 10 Dec 2015, 11:34

I'll be streaming again tonight from around 6-7pm (I can be flexible if there's people that want to join in and that time doesn't work), I'll post links before I go live. :)
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 10 Dec 2015, 20:21

0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 13 Dec 2015, 23:07

Sorry I missed it, Moose!

In my own game, I was one jump away from claiming my first piece of the universe when I got interdicted... and weirdly, despite me almost immediately nailing in on the escape vector, the AI pulled me out of space in under 3 seconds. Destroyed.

EDIT: I've since realised that I'd slowed down to try and escape and when you zero your throttle you auto-submit.

This time, rather than jeopardise the few credits I had left, I decided to take my free Sidewinder and just respawn at Trevithick Dock.

It was here that I decided to visit a high intensity conflict area and sided with my preferred faction and helped destroy just two ships... which netted me 100,000 credits.

I know what I'm doing for the next few hours of gameplay.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 14 Dec 2015, 00:32

I've been debating picking that up for ages, not sure if i want to dip my toe in that pool though.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Disco

Post by Disco » 14 Dec 2015, 09:32

Anon. E. Moose wrote:I'll be streaming again tonight from around 6-7pm (I can be flexible if there's people that want to join in and that time doesn't work), I'll post links before I go live. :)
Let me know next time you're going to Stream, I could use some tips :lol:
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mini

Post by Mini » 14 Dec 2015, 12:18

I am hoping to get this around Christmas, might be putting it to the top of my wishlist I think.
Really could use a new Space Sim... Although it would be either X360 controller or keyboard and mouse... as I have no Joystick...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

kharis

Post by kharis » 14 Dec 2015, 12:30

i have this but i'm scared to start playing because school holidays starts in a couple of days and my children will want me to do parent type stuff i'm sure
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 14 Dec 2015, 12:40

I'll order a new cable for my HOTAS stick and give it a crack when we get back, no point doing it beforehand
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 14 Dec 2015, 13:59

kharis wrote:i have this but i'm scared to start playing because school holidays starts in a couple of days and my children will want me to do parent type stuff i'm sure
The audacity of them... :P
1 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 14 Dec 2015, 14:22

Had my first death in a while the other night. I got completely overwhelmed by two pythons and an Anaconda in one of the high intensity conflict zones in Kausalya for the community goal. Lost about 3mil in combat bonds, which is a serious setback in my Imperial Clipper outfitting fund.

I'm sitting in the top 15% of commanders for the CG again, which if I can keep that ranking, should net me 8mil once the CG ends on Thursday. I don't think I'll be able to climb my rank any further, apparently one of the top 5 commanders is sitting on 192 million credits worth of combat bonds handed in, with the top 5% ranging from 70-90 million.
Below is a breakdown of the current rewards

Community goals are a great way to make credits, based on your contribution you earn a big payout when the goal is either met or time runs out after a week. There's usually a combat and non-combat focused CG each week. For newer players the non-combat CGs are really profitable, a couple of weeks ago I made about 7mil hauling a measly 20 tonne of explosives about 100LY.
Frontier updates the GalNet blog weekly for the CG, and this sub-reddit keeps track of goals/rewards/progress.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 14 Dec 2015, 19:24

Outstanding, thanks Moose. Definitely keen to get in on that money making action. I have a (poorly-fitted) Eagle on PC but only the Sidey on the X-One... very keen to get my a bigger ship and go exploring/pirating across the galactic disc.

EDIT: RAGE! For the second time I had 90k+ credits, 96,000 to be exact, in combat bounties from fragging around a HIC zone. So, I decide to go back to get the 4,000 more I'd need to unlock an achievement. I had a Federal Dropship down to 4% when two other hostiles turned on me and I died. Again.

Rage!

2nd EDIT: I have 100k so I've splashed out on $44,000 for a new Eagle. Now to see if I can afford to fit it (and replace it).

3rd EDIT TO END ALL EDITS: Done for 70k all up. Multicannon on the topmost mount, two gimballed pulse lasers on the bottom and a fuel scoop. Had to put in a new power plant to run it all but is stable. Then, as happens every night, after a while you just get booted from the game as it says it can't establish a connection. Just as I'd found the pirates I took on the bounty for. Dangit.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 17 Dec 2015, 10:39

RAAAAAAAGE.

I got interdicted a few times last night. The first was by three players in a wing which, as my tiny Eagle slowly crumbled under their assault, had me thinking that was a pretty cool way to die.

The next though... I'd travelled further than I ever have in Elite, I had data on at least 10 unexplored and vacant systems... until I foolishly decided to drop by some salvageable wreckage. While working my cargo scoop, I failed to recognise new contacts on my radar and suddenly 7 AI ships had appeared and pummeled me within seconds. All that data, all that work, gone.

So I'm thinking I'm going to take my Sidewinder out and just die a LOT but try to get some sneaky kills in conflict zones to earn enough money to buy a proper ship. Eagles are as sturdy as cardboard in a storm.

Also tried to play some CQC but there were no players online. Elite seems almost completely unknown to the console community when, in my mind, it's the most unique game to have appeared on one.

As much as I'm loving Elite on the Xbox, it might be time to go back to PC and my flight gear... the tiny screen is offset by the flightgear, trackIR, Voice Attack and far prettier visuals.

Couple of questions;

* how do I know what the community goals are? The Galnet articles are numerous and hard to tell if fiction or otherwise
* what's the next best ship after the Eagle?
* when using a fuel scoop, is there any trick to doing this effectively? It takes SO LONG to fill the tank!
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 17 Dec 2015, 11:08

DarkMellie wrote:Couple of questions;

* how do I know what the community goals are? The Galnet articles are numerous and hard to tell if fiction or otherwise
https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/301 This page gets updated weekly and will give you backstory and breakdown of the current CG, if you google "Elite Dangerous community goal" it's the first result. https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteCG/ also works but the first link is updated first by Frontier on a weekly basis.
Which reminds me, this weeks CG ends today so I need to update Elite and go collect my rewards. CG's refresh every Thursday.
Greetings, Commanders, and welcome to this week’s Community Goals blog.

The storm of war rages on, as the Federation battles the insurgent organisation Emperor’s Dawn in the Kausalya system. With the Federation throwing the full might of its navy against the insurrectionists, it was speculated that they would be quickly defeated, but the insurgents have managed to dig in and fortify their position. Federal President Zachary Hudson was not deterred, however, telling his pilots:

“They cannot hope to withstand us for much longer. All that is needed is one last push, and these vile dissidents will retreat to the hole they crawled out of!”

If you are looking for a goal, the breakdown below should help:

Emperor’s Dawn vs. Federation:

Kausalya system, Emperor’s Dawn Pilots: Agnesi City - Collect bonds by killing Federation targets; the side with most bonds wins the war.

Kausalya system, Federation Pilots: Gernhardt Station - Collect bonds by killing Emperor’s Dawn targets; the side with most bonds wins the war.
DarkMellie wrote:* what's the next best ship after the Eagle?
Depends on what you want to do, the Eagle is pretty nifty, it's smaller, faster and more maneuverable than the Sidewinder, but can't take a hit to save it's life. Two gimballed pulse lasers and a gimballed multicannon would be really effective on an Eagle as you can buzz around targets avoiding fire, use the pulse lasers to take down the shields then tear the hull apart with the multicannon.

My combat ship path so far has been Sidewinder > Viper Mk 3 > Cobra Mk 3 > Vulture > Imperial Clipper. I still have nowhere near enough money to outfit my Clipper, below is my Vulture build though.
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70N,5TP5T ... O9qI7c67c6
For you're next ship you're probably looking at a Viper Mk 3 (Light fighter ship, 142,931 CR) or Cobra Mk 3 (Light multipurpose, 379,718 CR) Personally I'd opt for the Viper and skip the Cobra completely unless you want to do a tiny bit of trading to break up combat, The Viper has smaller shields but its a lot faster and more maneuverable so you'll be able to dictate control of the fight easier.
Both have the same hardpoints (2x small, 2x medium, 2x utility) but imo they converge better on the Viper making it an easier ship to fly for combat.
If you want to do some exploring or trading, the Hauler (52,720 CR) is a great entry level ship for both those roles.

Basically this tiny little guide below should help you choose. :P
Combat: Viper
Trading/Exploring: Hauler
Jack-of-all-trades: Cobra
DarkMellie wrote:* when using a fuel scoop, is there any trick to doing this effectively? It takes SO LONG to fill the tank!
Short of buying a larger fuel scoop, no. You've just got to keep an eye on your orbit and heat levels to make sure you don't cook yourself while re-fueling, pop away from the sun if you need to, don't let yourself overheat and explode. :P
Ship fittings have a class from 1-8 which notes the hardpoint size required, 1 being the smallest, 8 being the largest. Followed by a rating ranging from A-D which notes the efficiency of the module. On things like fuel scoop I always try to aim for the low middle ground of about 3D/4D, D class fittings are the lightest and class 3-4 gives me between 100.00 L/s and 196.00 L/s which is plenty for me. The starter scoops are hella slow at 18.00 L/s to 42.00 L/s.
0 x