Star Citizen

A place for all the city-builders, world-creators, transport managers, block-arrangers and intergalactic explorers.
brimlad

Re: Star Citizen

Post by brimlad » 27 Nov 2017, 08:27

that looks amazing, thanks for posting them up;
now is the time for me to install another 16gb of ram and give my pc the dusting it deserves :)
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 29 Nov 2017, 23:58

Have to say the incremental patcher is freaking fantastic, though as Duke would say, "It's about time"... long overdue.
Latest patch seemed to make my client perform like a slide show but at least I wont have to download 30gig for the next one.

As buggy as it is right now, you can see a glimmer of that lurking potential but it still has so far to go.

50 players per instance at the moment so they're clearly stress testing it pretty hard right now because lets be honest the networking code wasn't all that good for 24 players

:P
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 30 Nov 2017, 08:16

thanks boars, I was almost tempted to take up a months sub to get access but I think I'll just wait for the general release
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 30 Nov 2017, 08:34

Yeah framerate has been an issue with 3.0. Had a few servers now where it's held around 25 but the majority always fall into the low teens before you eventually crash out or exit.
Just make sure you log it with the Issue Council....and whilst there jump into the forums and ride the wave of nerd tears of angst over the land rights sale.
I for one like the gameplay aspect of the pioneer/ land rights concept. There's enough land to go around so why not. Plus all this land will need content so if players can contribute to making the landscape more interesting then it benefits us all.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 30 Nov 2017, 12:06

Did I just read incremental patcher?!?!?!? Time to re-download the whole game just for that!
Also what's this about pioneer/land rights concept? Do you mean people can buy land and build cities etc if they want?
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 30 Nov 2017, 16:11

Hit me up if you're wanting to stuff around in PTU with Rawk And I... maybe after the next patch :p or this weekend, whichever comes first.

Yes Disruptor4, but not sure PTU will be able to be patched to 3.0 release... probably not.
So wouldn't download it just for that, unless you intend to have a bash in it with someone.

People will be able to own a 4x4 or 8x8 km patch of land (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... m-Licenses) and on said land they will be able to build bases much like the bases found on moons at present in the PTU.

To do so they will probably need the pioneer ship: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pled ... er/Pioneer
AND a shitload of resources.

People will be able to buy land with in game currency also so realistically it's not that exciting.
Having said that, people are in tears because they think its p2w.
ie get the best location near a beacon or best minerals.

As pointed out by CIG however: if every single player bought one, that would only cover half of one single planet.
I think there'll be enough land to go around... probably going to be upkeep on that as well.

I do wonder if the beacon thing is true or bullshit as planets are constantly rotating anyway and beacons are probably not orbiting at the same rate? Something to look into.

My mining ship cannot even land on a planet (and just doubled in size, thanks Foundry 42) so I don't think I'll care too much.
0 x

stingtwo

Post by stingtwo » 30 Nov 2017, 17:50

boars wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 16:11
People will be able to own a 4x4 or 8x8 km patch of land (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... m-Licenses) and on said land they will be able to build bases much like the bases found on moons at present in the PTU.

To do so they will probably need the pioneer ship: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pled ... er/Pioneer
AND a shitload of resources.

People will be able to buy land with in game currency also so realistically it's not that exciting.
Having said that, people are in tears because they think its p2w.
ie get the best location near a beacon or best minerals.

As pointed out by CIG however: if every single player bought one, that would only cover half of one single planet.
I think there'll be enough land to go around... probably going to be upkeep on that as well.

I do wonder if the beacon thing is true or bullshit as planets are constantly rotating anyway and beacons are probably not orbiting at the same rate? Something to look into.

My mining ship cannot even land on a planet (and just doubled in size, thanks Foundry 42) so I don't think I'll care too much.
Everything you just said is 100% P2W. You cannot be that naive stating it isn't.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 30 Nov 2017, 19:19

Could be, depending of course on how valuable that land actually is in the game.

If they do it right the land could be "safe", but comparatively worthless to land you have to put actual effort into getting.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 30 Nov 2017, 20:41

stingtwo wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 17:50
Everything you just said is 100% P2W. You cannot be that naive stating it isn't.
Everything I said is p2w?
Even the bit where I'm wondering if things are bullshit? Unknown bullshit is p2w!

In all seriousness, I didn't say it wasn't (or is), I just roughly put CIG's response to the criticism.
Also a thought that there's probably going to be too much land to feasibly land lock everything but that's just conjecture.
The reality is there's so little information known about how it works... and no proof that it'll even work as described today.
So ranting and raving one way or the other is pointless.

If Navigation points are locked to regions and don't rotate independantly that could be an issue similar to LandMark (the EverQuest Next spin off) maps, where players claim land close as possible to nav points and its a pita for players late to the scene. Then again, who's to say people couldn't set custom nav points... too much theory craft, not enough facts.

All we know is you should be able to buy a plot of land with in game currency at the same time so you cannot jump the queue, you just farm less - or at least that's what they say today.

How hard would it be to not let people place plots until say a month after release or whatever, when everyone has had a chance to save up for the great land rush.
People who join the game 6 months onward might be disadvantaged though...
Then there's the whole how the hell is it going to work with instancing...

It's nice to know you've got all the facts though, just like how the next patch won't have the incremental patcher.
In your defence it took them many moons to actually get the next patch out though... well, to ptu.
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 30 Nov 2017, 20:49

I sit on the fence about land ownership being entirely PTW. It depends on how it's eventually managed.
I for one like the idea they've proposed. With the eventual 50 or so star systems with anywhere up to, say, 3 habitable planets in most systems there's a shitload of room for everyone. Also the fact that players can buy the beacons now but cannot claim any land for the foreseeable future gives everyone a chance to either buy their beacons or possibly rake up enough in-game cash to buy one. (I'd say at-least 8 months before this mechanic is in-game) Throw into this that I wouldn't expect all 50 systems to be available at 'official launch' means that as more systems come on-line players have had a chance to earn credits in-game beforehand so when the new system comes online there can be a rush to grab what you want. Plus the game isn't purely PvP so there 'should be' many things players can do which isn't even affected by land rights. If the game was purely PvP then yes it would be an issue but the mix of PvP and PvE negates this! Land ownership is only one of many methods to earn money in the game so is it really as bigger issues as some make it out to be?
The fact that something like this adds to more, non procedurally, generated content in the game world benefits us all and the intended mechanics of a land owner working with players who own Pioneers to build an Outpost on your land to eventually generate an ongoing income stream is some smart thinking on their behalf.

I put a lot of the crying on the forums to be a case of our modern world snowflake gaming society of the have nots crying about the have's getting everything because they decided to invest their hard earned cash towards something in the game rather than spending their money elsewhere. This fact unfortunately doesn't stop the have nots from feeling they are then privileged to sook about it....

So in summary, I can see the PTW side of it but I don't care. If someone want to lay down some of their hard earned cash to buy a chunk of land which goes towards more funding and content for the game I want to play then good on them and I'll just use in-game cash to buy my land elsewhere...

In other SC things...yes the new patcher is awesome! One big initial 30gig download then every patch since has been under 800 meg for me. Through the veins of my big FTH 100Mbit NBN penis these patches come down in less than a minute which is cool!

EDIT: Going by everything else so far that I've seen in 3.0 navigation points will be locked to their location on the land and rotate with the planet. Otherwise there would be no point buying land. The OM Quantum points for the moons rotate with their parent moon so it makes sense that everything else will too!
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 30 Nov 2017, 20:57

One comment I forgot to say was now that most of the core tech is implemented in some form or other means that next year development should speed up, assuming they keep their feature creep under control...

Looking forward to the Squadron 42 reveal they're planning for Xmas. I expect this will be the vertical slice they were planning last year that never happened. A virtual space pilot can dream that they let us play the first mission through can't they? ;)
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 30 Nov 2017, 21:28

LordPorksword wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 20:49
EDIT: Going by everything else so far that I've seen in 3.0 navigation points will be locked to their location on the land and rotate with the planet. Otherwise there would be no point buying land. The OM Quantum points for the moons rotate with their parent moon so it makes sense that everything else will too!
That's good and bad - makes navigating better when you know what OM you're near.
Just annoying if your plot is in the middle of 2 different OM points.

Hopefully addressed by player deployable satellite/nav-beacons.

OM beacons sure are frustrating at present however - sometimes I can see them, other times they are just absent.
They could certainly do with a few more of them around moons - let alone what planets will require.

Hopefully they're intended to show up in the star map.
LordPorksword wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 20:57
One comment I forgot to say was now that most of the core tech is implemented in some form or other means that next year development should speed up, assuming they keep their feature creep under control...

Looking forward to the Squadron 42 reveal they're planning for Xmas. I expect this will be the vertical slice they were planning last year that never happened. A virtual space pilot can dream that they let us play the first mission through can't they? ;)
I'm not sure I agree that most of the core tech is implemented... but then I guess that depends what you consider core - haha.

They're supposedly going to be able to switch to a monthly patch cycle with the incremental patcher - patch whatever is done instead of trying to do X,Y and Z for patch Q. Supposedly. They've not got better previously after previous attempts to increase patch frequency but who knows, maybe the incremental patcher will give them the kick they need.

Sounds like the Idris is getting another showing in the s42 demo, hopefully not just the same stuff we saw before - although would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of then and now to see differences.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 30 Nov 2017, 21:57

Oh just remembered, apparently 3.0 doesn't exist, and it's all just FMV.
So really, it's all just a group hallucination - what a trip :D

Nah, the point of my post was I just had the following thought: if people are worried about land being p2w, I wonder how they contain the rage at the ability to purchase ships.
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 30 Nov 2017, 22:23

OM points seem to disappear if you press the B key to jump rather than holding it down. I've logged that one with the Issue Council! ;)
New version today. Lots of 30000's in this patch...but the framerate is much better! ;)
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 04 Dec 2017, 20:24

Sneak peak of titan armour.
Interesting legs.

Edit: if foundry 42 gets a hold of this, Mechs confirmed.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 05 Dec 2017, 00:58

0 x

boars

Post by boars » 14 Dec 2017, 13:54

Expecting to see some drama around this one soon:

https://kotaku.com/crytek-sues-star-cit ... 269577/amp

Kind of amazed that crytek isn't dead yet
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 14 Dec 2017, 15:00

What ever happened to all the talk of people wanting refunds? Did they end up succeeding or did SC say tough luck, it's a pre-release game and you bought in knowing this when you signed T&C's etc.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 14 Dec 2017, 15:15

I believe it depends on when you backed, earlier t&c were more refund friendly. Playing more recently and agreeing to the updated t&c might void those earlier ones. Pretty sure some people were successful. IIRC some of the whale refunds were proven to be fake however. Ultimately it's impossible to know numbers of attempts or successes at getting a refund.

So far 3.0 seems good if buggy, personally not looking to refund - still seems to be moving forward - albeit slowly.

The legal action looks interesting ...

Speaking of interesting: cigs lawyer (and co-founder) ortwin used to be cryteks lawyer. He helped cig get cryengine to begin with. A pile of cig staff are ex crytek staff from when they started falling apart. Amazon helped crytek from going bankrupt by buying rights to build lumberyard on cry engine... cig switches to lumberyard and boom unhappy crytek. No longer using the crytek logo, showing cryengine code on bug smashers YouTube show and whatever else.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 23 Dec 2017, 19:09

Finally some light shed on s42 today, if only a vertical slice - albeit a 1+ hour vertical slice:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/211732244?t=00h32m21s

Looks good if a little un-optimised but it isn't exactly (seemingly) anywhere near polish time for the game.
Supposedly monthly updates on s42 from here on out also.

Then there's another look at the Idris in a ship shape and the advocacy space-penguin/space-shuttle... er Avenger.

If you rewind to the start there's also a studio tour of the people behind the s42 stuff - nothing of any note is said however if you don't care who the leads of each area are.

Edit: Seems 3.0 is going to live tomorrow or so. Seems a little bit too soon as 3.0 performance is hit and miss, along with some seriously wacked out bugs at times but it is fairly epic to land on planet. I guess they really want this out before Christmas, so it's only a year overdue. Might also be part of their plan to release whatever is ready quarterly... but we'll see how that goes eh .......

---------------------

Decided to visit a moon and go for a drive in an Ursa... Max throttle on the dark side of a moon was always destined to end badly.
KM's away from rescue I got the Ursa wedged in between some rocks at a bad angle.

Got out to have a look and couldn't get back in to get oxygen again... so just enjoyed watching Crusader rising over the horizon while asphyxiating. Good times, good times! -_-

Some other random images: https://imgur.com/a/n9uWC
Including an example of current bugs: Aopa bike spawning on its side, take off is... difficult.

--
Enjoy some gladius planetside engine noise:
0 x

bender

Post by bender » 24 Dec 2017, 10:49

I saw the news about SC, and saw on reddit that the PTU was open to everyone. So I downloaded it last night. My experience so far has been sub par.

It took a few mins to startup. Then it took over 5 minutes to load into the PU. When I loaded into the spawn room, I appeared in the bed and was glitching around. It was basically a 5fps slideshow. After a bit, the FPS increased. Then I noticed my RAM usage was at 15GB of 16GB (rainmeter display on second monitor), a few seconds later the game crashed and windows complained about running out of memory.

Whilst my PC is older, the GPU and CPU usage were only 40% and 20% usage respectively. So its not like my PC cant handle the game. It seems like there's some other issues going on.

I really don't know why they intend releasing this to live either. They should just leave it in the PTU until it stabilises. Everyone has access to it if they want to try it. Though maybe it will stabilise in the next couple days?

EDIT: Just tried again on the live release. This time I didn't glitch in the bed and things were a bit more stable. The FPS increased a fair bit after a few mins. However, I couldn't figure out how to leave the spawn room. I held F down at the door but saw nothing. Windows then warned me I was running out of memory and a few secs later SC crashed. I had also previously closed all applications. So SC was the only thing running, using over 12GB of ram.

So the experience was better, but still pretty ordinary.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

boars

Post by boars » 24 Dec 2017, 18:39

I've got an i7 6700k with 32 gig ram and a GTX1060 (6gig).

Runs fairly stable for me, latest patch I've only had 1 crash and I was stuffing around jumping on an npc's head that I found which wasn't locked in place as most vendors are supposed to be. This one I managed to get into the floor :) so I probably glitched myself out.

That said, I've yet to try a quest and last i heard they were as buggy as all hell.

I think it's too soon to release but I guess they're giving something for people to play with, still, think they could have just opened PTU and left it at that. Seems silly to go fully live in its current state, considering the devs are probably all off for a week or two now.

At any rate, at least we can all agree that it's not fake, it actually exists and move on >_> ... probably not... haha.
0 x

Karmic Skink

Post by Karmic Skink » 24 Dec 2017, 20:24

One of the issues you might be facing is due to having a large cluster of players spawn in, and then proceed to spawn their biggest shiny ship right on the doorstep of your little cabin which will eat your system resources.
I'd suggest trying to get in a ship, fly it well away from the spawn and then sleep in its bed (assuming the login system works like that currently).
Full disclaimer that I've never played Starcitizen.

Onto SQ42; I'm kinda disappointed by the direction they've gone with for the score. It is far too AAA, in that it has a broad sweeping orchestral sound that is 100% forgettable and lacks any real identity.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 10 Mar 2018, 02:02

Missed this nice video from a while back... god i hope they can pull these visuals off with decent performance.

Mmmmm volumetric space dust stuff... seriously delicious

3.1 isn't far off now that it is with evocati/avacados... hopefully they manage to actually release quarterly so it feels like they are actually making some progress. Nobody likes 8 month+ gaps between patches.

Reclaimer sure isn't small...... there is a person in these shots for scale haha.
0 x