Star Citizen

A place for all the city-builders, world-creators, transport managers, block-arrangers and intergalactic explorers.
boars

Re: Star Citizen

Post by boars » 27 Jul 2017, 08:48

stingtwo wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 03:31
The irony is, players have gotten nor are getting either option, the planet in the video(or the AI, sandworm, the vehicles) isn't making it into 3.0(only getting moons), the only "supposed" no loading screen planet landings they have shown is the exact same one shown at citizencon and THATS been up for debate if that was just FMV since it's very existence.
Is not at all ironic, we are talking about what's intended for release, not 3.0. (ie the no longer in alpha/beta release). Intended, reality may vary with less or more.

In pretty much any demo of anything that isn't playable you can debate if something is in engine or not till the cows come home. Fun. Then comes the "it's in engine but it's not the main branch version of the engine" and the "it's just a tech demo" arguments too. All very interesting but it's like arguing who has the best God, unless you physically see it/them you might as well be arguing over who has the best invisible friend.

We saw this arguing around star marine not existing *while* it was in testing with avocados. It didn't exist blah blah. Then it releases and the "debate" ended. So much for having insider source/s and access to the actual Avacado build.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 27 Jul 2017, 16:36

On the subject, looks like cig have responded to queries around the number of systems:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spec ... n-a/350872

Interpret how you will.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 27 Jul 2017, 18:14

From my read it's 5-10 systems when the tech is ready and pushed to public alpha, currently unspecified for actual game release.
0 x

stingtwo

Post by stingtwo » 27 Jul 2017, 19:53

That statement about the 5-10 systems is so vague it's meaningless, "when the core mechanics are finalized", what does that mean? the planet making tools? the tech that was shown at Citizencon that allows people to fly down to planets without loading screens? It also breaks their own stretch goal of having 100 systems in place anyway, so about criticizing them for downgrading the scope is perfectly valid in my book.

I also forgot to mention I like how instead of CIG informing paying customers what the go is, they gave this infomation to a german magazine.

4 weeks and we may find out unless CIG decides to delay because "refactoring the pro-gen planets".
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 27 Jul 2017, 20:24

stingtwo wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 19:53
That statement about the 5-10 systems is so vague it's meaningless, "when the core mechanics are finalized", what does that mean? the planet making tools? the tech that was shown at Citizencon that allows people to fly down to planets without loading screens? It also breaks their own stretch goal of having 100 systems in place anyway, so about criticizing them for downgrading the scope is perfectly valid in my book.

I also forgot to mention I like how instead of CIG informing paying customers what the go is, they gave this infomation to a german magazine.

4 weeks and we may find out unless CIG decides to delay because "refactoring the pro-gen planets".
That statement is meaningless but it means this.
Hahahaha - nice one. :lol:

Like you say, it's got no actual meat to infer anything at all about release.
Therefore how can you turn around and say it means X about a stretch goal?
You talk about them downgrading the scope when they literally said the scope hasn't been downgraded.

As for the german magazine... CIG is doing nothing different to any other games publisher/studio with regards to info going to publications.
In the internet age, there's really nothing truly exclusive as everything gets republished within minutes.
In fact it was online before subscribers had their magazines in the mail.
Not to mention the info you're bitching about is pretty much meaningless and seemingly taken out of context, according to the statement.

Go back to ranting about the launcher, at least that's on the money.
0 x

stingtwo

Post by stingtwo » 27 Jul 2017, 20:43

congrats on acting willfully dense https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals read the 6 million goal.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 27 Jul 2017, 20:59

155,340,202/1,848,790 = $84.022; that's actually come down from a year ago when it was close to $100... funding crisis perhaps but S42 will be the key, if that flies we have hope :)
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 27 Jul 2017, 21:25

stingtwo wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 20:43
congrats on acting willfully dense https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals read the 6 million goal.
Yes, wilfully dense, sure - I'm just not looking to get a rage boner over every potential issue.

"goal: 100 planets": No one is contesting that is a/the/current goal as dictated by the funding chart.
An article comes out and says they'll launch with 5-10 - internet shit storm (albeit a somewhat smaller one than on most other SC storms - lordy the ps4 one).

A statement follows that says (emphasis mine):
"Chris was asked a specific question about how many systems we expect to have online at the point that we've got most of the core mechanics completed and we would consider the gameplay experience suitable for a larger audience."
Now, here's where it gets tricky, he never mentions "launch".
Sooo we could be talking 5-10 systems in a later stage of alpha, beta or (yes) maybe even release... but it's not STATED that it is a launch goal for 5-10... so assuming the worst isn't necessarily correct or a fact.

Regardless they aren't shirking the goal (emphasis mine):
"This takes time to fill out, so while it will take us longer to fully deliver and populate every system at this fidelity rather than if we had only a handful of points of interest per star system, we have no intention of reducing the size of the Star Citizen universe."
God, even if the game goes live with less systems, isn't that a good thing (as long as they continue to output them till they reach the goal) or should they delay the game until they have all 100 systems complete?

I mean honestly there's no pleasing some people either way this goes but then trolls don't actually want a resolution.

There's plenty of other issues like network code, that are issues we know are actual issues without toddling off and getting into "what if"... and "maybe" sorts of things.

Edit: wrote planets instead of systems \o/
Last edited by boars on 27 Jul 2017, 21:45, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 27 Jul 2017, 21:37

brimlad wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 20:59
155,340,202/1,848,790 = $84.022; that's actually come down from a year ago when it was close to $100... funding crisis perhaps but S42 will be the key, if that flies we have hope :)
I think the number of users you used is actually the number of RSI accounts, not the number of actual backers, so it should still be more per backer. (I could be mistaken on that however)

The yearly uptick from the gamescom and citcon content demos and sales in the last half of the year have proven to give massive boosts to funding in the past. If 3.0 actually releases this year that should also see a bit of an increased influx of cash.

I'm holding almost no hope of seeing s42 this year, slight possibility that the vertical slice appears at citcon but I'm doubtful, considering how much effort has gone into the 3.0 release and it still isn't here.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 28 Jul 2017, 12:34

I want to believe... According to this week's ATV they are trying to get the delta patcher in for 3.0... They sound hesitant to say it will be in though.

This would be glorious for Australian backers with our wonderful Internet.

7 mins 43 secs... Hahahaha
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 29 Jul 2017, 14:09

If they release 3 days of content then their game will die immediately.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

boars

Post by boars » 30 Jul 2017, 20:24

Will "Soulcrusher" Leverett@WLeverett_CIG Today at 8:23

As it's turning out, the Delta Patcher looks to be released concurrently with 3.0. Currently, the Delta Patcher is being tested across studios internally, and while it's not ready for primetime as I write this, it's starting to hit that final stretch.

Just this week, we had a meeting of stakeholders discussing what we need to close out this project. We've got a handful of tasks associated with it to get over the finish line, and it looks like that's how we're going to deploy 3.0 (which is fantastic and has all sorts of positive ramifications for future deployment strategy).
So that's starting to look more positive.

The more 3.0 delays, the more likely this is - that's a silver lining I can wait for.
(my current 70gig quota cannot handle full downloads haha -$%^& you NBN)
Nekosan wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 14:09
If they release 3 days of content then their game will die immediately.
(I'm assuming you're talking full release?)

True enough but i think, worst case scenario, if they have just 5 systems (with enough content on each planet/moon), you might/could have more than 3 days worth of content.

I mean crap, some of the moon craters are bigger than the entire Skyrim game, so there's plenty of room for content.
I'm not comparing games though, Skyrim is dense with content and SC currently is not.
In Skyrim you cannot help but take an arrow in the knee every 5 paces.
In space you... er yeah, it's pretty damned empty, especially in current PU.

We'll have to wait and see what they deliver, just saying scale isn't necessarily an issue on the worst possibility sides of things (5 systems)... the more pressing issue (in my opinion at least) is how much content they get in (enough npc's, quests and things to actually do etc).

That and finally nailing network code and performance.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 31 Jul 2017, 12:47

My current annoyance is that there is an org spamming me with invites and there appears to be no way to block them without block all org invites.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 31 Jul 2017, 22:17

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 12:47
My current annoyance is that there is an org spamming me with invites and there appears to be no way to block them without block all org invites.
That's been around as long as orgs have and yeah, hugely annoying.

Really cannot understand why there's not an ignore org button or maybe you know, not allowing orgs to spam everyone, it's ridiculous.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 23 Aug 2017, 20:37

Currently streaming some form of 3.0 at gamescon...
https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUtzq3A5-o (if twitch is flaking out for you)

Looks pretty interesting.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 24 Aug 2017, 16:18

Screen grabs of the stream: https://m.imgur.com/a/8Clyz#AGlHd80

Nothing overly exciting amongst them... The railgun looks pretty nasty though.

Probably not worth watching the streams this week and just waiting to see what comes out of their event.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 27 Aug 2017, 12:17

Annnnnd nothing majorly exciting or unexpected in their presentation, aside a small Idris or two.

Stuff featured in the demo (including the usual awkwardness, bad acting, bad guys shooting like storm troopers etc that these presentations are known for):
  • Levski on Delamar (asteroid with no atmosphere 100km diameter - in a large asteroid belt featuring asteroids up to 20km in size - easyhab/markets/bar/gun shop/hangar for rover/surface to landing pad)
  • Modular clothing
  • New civilian mobiglas, apps and UI updates
  • Now ships/ammo/etc persistent
  • Mouse wheel for movement speed
  • Hint system (pop ups with text hints)
  • NPC's (around 200 wandering around in Levski - using their subsumption system - go to sleep, go to work, etc - shopkeepers, bartender and mission givers + the random ones walking about going through their cycles)
  • VOIP (direction and distance both taken into account with voice coms, quite slick)
  • FOIP (Face over IP - webcam can translate your facial expressions to your player character - regardless of gender o_0, a sort of )
  • Updated quest NPC's
  • planetary structures
  • seamless transitions (Leaving planetside (asteroid) in a Constellation Aquila to space, Quantuming to Daymar (stupidly large moon), going to planetside).)
  • removing ones helmet in a no atmo environment
  • Putting rover on and off a ship
  • planet-side wrecks
  • shoot down spaceships with rail gun
  • not putting the rover on the idris (bad piloting + bad driving + not flat surface + clipping = sigh)
  • oh yeah an Idris
  • cap ship battle (x2) Idris vs Idris. (sadly with no sheilds and health pools reduced, so over quickly)
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 28 Aug 2017, 17:44

I wonder when theyre going to bite the bullet and move to procedural generation for the planets and systems and just make a FUCKLOAD of art assets (which is what they should have been doing all along for 99% of the content)?
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 29 Aug 2017, 14:22

I thought they were for most of the planetside stuff. Only the major hub areas are hand-crafted.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 29 Aug 2017, 21:11

At present it's supposedly a bit of hybrid, that's mostly proc generated.

They paint the planets with massive brushes that then fills regions with certain types of things.
In essence they can mark out oceans and land masses and what goes within certain parts of land masses and the proc gen paints these regions with mountains, hills, craters and doodads based on the settings they select for said brushes.
Proc gen also blends each region together.

After which they seem to be tweaking certain areas for specific points of interest like ship wrecks and quest objectives.
They're probably also scanning terrain for issues and correcting as needed.

Some POI/objects apparently need ground alterations to be used, like punching a hole in the terrain for things that go beneath the surface for instance.

Maybe after their auto-gen tools get a bit better they will be able to be a bit more hands-off.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 28 Oct 2017, 14:01

Star Citizen - Citizen Con - Chris Roberts Keynote:
Lots of procedural planet - looks pretty damned cool - skipped most of the waiting around on the video (god knows why they kept that).

https://youtu.be/mGcG0g7GsOI?t=778

Consolidated Outland Pioneer:
Can you say homeworld mothership vibe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olxI7X7eac8

Meet the Sabre Raven
Get it free if you buy a ridiculously expensive intel ssd... :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMdQXl0vyg
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 25 Nov 2017, 00:36

Anyone who actively follows development should know by now that 3.0 has finally gone to first wave testers!
Been playing for the last few hours. I can confirm yes there numerous bugs but it's also very cool at the same time! :mrgreen:

Here's some glamour shots: (originally in 4k, halved then wreaked by photobucket!)

Owners of the Cutlass are in for a treat! The updated ship looks superb. Here's some Quantum action!Image

You can interact with all these screens, adjust power, shielding, comms for landing, stealth mode screens etc..

Two more just because I thought they looked cool! :shock:

Above Levski. Another player trying to land a Caterpillar in the background there!

Super Hornet in low-ish orbit!

Levski:

Shopping for ship components!

Constellation Aquila:

Mid orbit:

Landed beautifully! :shh: (Yes I was able to get back in!)

Two glamour shots of the updated Aurora LX:

Two shots of the Prospector:

Another landing survived!

The game now will use as many CPU cores as there are available so it's time to crack out those hex n octo cores folks! :D
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 25 Nov 2017, 07:14

that looks really good, very looking forward 3.0

and I hope 6 cores will help but probably time for an upgrade :D

0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 26 Nov 2017, 01:57

3 more screenies:

Yela's asteroid field:

Nightside of Yela with Crusader in the background (other part of the map). A planets rotate whilst orbiting Crusader.
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 26 Nov 2017, 14:01

Seeing that Photobucket is utter utter crap these days here's an album on imgur in glorious 4k!
https://imgur.com/gallery/JnHoK
0 x