Command and Conquer

This might not be chess, but choose your next move carefully.
Mugsy

Command and Conquer

Post by Mugsy » 13 May 2017, 09:54

This vid in my youtube recommendations. Quite a nice nostalgia trip for a series I've been very fond of.

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Bicketybam

Re: Command and Conquer

Post by Bicketybam » 14 May 2017, 12:00

Yeah I watched that yesterday as well.. pretty cool trip down memory lane.

I do own C&C 4 but never played it, I think I got it some C&C bundle I purchased. For me, C&C ended at 3 as I loved that. RA3 wasn't bad but they were really pushing for the fast play game style and the best thing about the original game was being able to take forever to play the missions the way you wanted to play them... the final mission in RA3 they made you complete it on a timer... :thumbdown:
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 May 2017, 14:15

Yeah, I got C&C4 in the bundle too (on Origin... think it was $5 one time and I thought what the hell). Also never played it. Watched the cutscenes on Youtube though just to get the story for how it ends. Pretty depressing end to the series - the FMVs were pretty underwhelming. It was campy but not fun.

C&C3 esp with KW was a worthy sequel. EA should never have gone down the e-sports route. IMHO, they would have been better off milking C&C as the COD of RTS games by sticking to fun campaigns and fun toys to play with in multiplay.

The only reason I played RA3 earlier than when I bought the C&C pack was because it was on sale for $10 at the University co-op bookstore when I was doing my Masters. It was fun but I didn't like how much one had to micro-manage thing.

The biggest disappointment with the post RA2 titles was that they stopped doing a disc for either faction.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 14 May 2017, 20:03

Yep, C&C3 was The End for me as well. I like completeness (I own St. Anger, fr'eggzample) but I can't bring myself to watch/buy/play 4.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 14 May 2017, 22:25

Bicketybam wrote:
14 May 2017, 12:00
Yeah I watched that yesterday as well.. pretty cool trip down memory lane.

I do own C&C 4 but never played it, I think I got it some C&C bundle I purchased. For me, C&C ended at 3 as I loved that. RA3 wasn't bad but they were really pushing for the fast play game style and the best thing about the original game was being able to take forever to play the missions the way you wanted to play them... the final mission in RA3 they made you complete it on a timer... :thumbdown:
You pretty much summed up my thoughts on these games.

C&C Generals was really fun as well, sure the netcode was shonky and there was massive lag in multiplayer but it had three really distinct sides and I spent a lot of time bumming around on skirmish mode.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 May 2017, 23:23

My bro and I did plenty of comp stomps with Generals, especially Zero Hour. Generals had the worst campaign in the series but the multiplay was fun. Big fan of the nuke, super weapon and laser generals. I really wish they had persisted with making Generals 2. All they needed to do was update the original game with new graphics, better net code, keep the mechanics the same, add more Generals, and have a better campaign.

OK, maybe they could have added North Korea with brainwashing technology if we're gonna be completely politically incorrect.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 15 May 2017, 08:25

What I loved about Generals was that you could basically set up a "pseudo" dedicated server as the host computer processed all the AI instructions, so I would start it up on my other computer and make that the host and just have the screen looking at a blank corner and run Ai Skirmish games that way.

Worked way much better then trying to run skirmish mode off you gaming pc, even if that was beefy, especially when it would go into mass unit production. Only wish someone could have actually used that option and made a dedicated server with out having to actually boot into the game.

I think that is what a lot of these games need.. the option to create a dedicated server on a secondary machine to handle all the computations, freeing up the gaming computers to just... play.
0 x