Battletech

This might not be chess, but choose your next move carefully.
Mugsy

Battletech

Post by Mugsy » 21 Apr 2018, 10:15

I'm not sure turn based combat will be something I get into but damn the presentation of this game looks amazing...

0 x

Yurtles

Re: Battletech

Post by Yurtles » 21 Apr 2018, 18:11

They did a good job with the Shadowrun games for the budget they had. I'm hoping a lot of the right lessons were learned from those games and they don't leave too much potential just lying on the table.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 25 Apr 2018, 20:12

Been playing it some today. It's fine I guess. I'm not sure it has the tactical depth and sufficient mission variety to keep me playing for too long. But for the price, it's a decent enough game.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 27 Apr 2018, 11:55

Is it XCOM style turn based combat?
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 27 Apr 2018, 23:44

Yeah it is. The more I play the more options I've realised I have in fights too. Plus if it's too simple and easy you can always pick harder fights and see how well you can punch above your weight. There's more to it than I thought.

If anyone else is playing or plans on playing, here's a great resource that explains how the game works much better than the tutorial - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1365402907
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 30 Apr 2018, 00:52

One mission in, almost lost my mech, yeah I'm terrible.
Now that I know what the hell is going on I'm doing a bit better haha.

Enjoying it, though it runs like a dog at my native res :\
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 30 Apr 2018, 16:32

Sathias wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 11:55
Is it XCOM style turn based combat?
Is it as good as XCOM - or at the least good enough?
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 30 Apr 2018, 20:43

It's different to X-com. I'd put it at good enough. It's priced right not being a full priced game.

Sort of simpler combat - placement and the environment aren't quite as big a deciding factor (If the fight becomes close quarters where positioning becomes a big deal it's because you pushed it to that, the AI likes to sit back for the most part) and there are less special abilities. It also has a less complex random mission generator, the sameness of non-campaign missions can wear on you a bit.

But there's far more customisation and choice in how you want to outfit your mechs/train your mechwarriors and that leads into having a bigger choice in how you want to approach fights. It's kind of up to you to keep things interesting - The variety is there, but the game isn't going to force you to use it.

Just go watch a couple videos or a twitch stream for a bit. It's easy to see how the gameplay works pretty quickly.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 03 Jun 2018, 14:32

Put in well over 100 hours into this one.

Got to say it's a great game - it has some performance issues, a few bugs and some frustrations.

If you're lucky enough to get a LoStech weapon... be bloody careful not to lose it or an associated ammo module because replacing it is near impossible.

Quite a few mods coming out for it too, basic ones at present.
Pre-clan invasion so was a little sad not to be able to field a vulture but some modders are looking to add mechs not featured and a tonne of other additions including building an inner-sphere map which looks ridiculous as all hell. Also adding copyright issue mechs that HBS did not for obvious reasons.
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleTechMods/

Worth the price of admission if you are a BT fan.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 19 Jun 2018, 14:55

Ok I am a couple of hours in, and a few missions in and god damn I suck at keeping mechs undamaged...
Loving the game though and will be putting in many more hours
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord