Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

This might not be chess, but choose your next move carefully.
linxus

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Post by linxus » 17 Dec 2015, 09:18

Origin story - ground based RTS. Interesting to see where Gearbox take this.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

LordPorksword

Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Post by LordPorksword » 17 Dec 2015, 09:58

Here's hoping they don't mess with the classic formula too much. I'm missing a modern 'classic' RTS in my game library atm.
So is this what Shipbreakers has turned out to be or a totally different game? (off to Google I shall wander later today)

Edit: Looked at Blackbirds site and it does appear that Shipbreakers has now become Deserts of Kharak.
0 x

Brewr

Post by Brewr » 19 Dec 2015, 23:26

The main appeal of the Homeworld games is that they are operatic in both sound and visuals; I mean watching a space battle is something spectacular. I think a ground based one may detract from that it doesnt have to but it may.
0 x
http://postsofpartridge.blogspot.com.au/
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198014333343]Image[/url]

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 21 Dec 2015, 07:38

LordPorksword wrote:So is this what Shipbreakers has turned out to be or a totally different game?
Yep. Developed by Blackbird (including members of the original Homeworld dev team). Doesn't look like Gearbox has a hand in it.

Due in January!
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 22 Jan 2016, 14:05

Anyone played it yet?

Very Homeworldish, as expected, which is what I like!
Visuals are very nice and the landscapes look pretty damn good! (especially some of the sand storm effects) Within the soundscape I'm noticing some familiar sounds from the other Homeworld games. Music is also very similar to the older Homeworld games with a more Arabic flavour to them.
I can happily say I've quite enjoyed what I've played so far...I am a Homeworld fan so I'm a bit biased! ;)
The story for the campaign seems to be getting quite positive reviews.

Haven't tried Skirmish or Multiplayer so far.

There's some concerning reports that the AI is a bit dumb and apparently some folks have rolled through the single player campaign in 5 hours. Consensus seems to be that they were playing on the easiest difficulty or are really good at RTS based games. I've seen a lot of other comments saying that if you take your time and do all the extra sub missions you get about 8-12 hours in the campaign.

Basically, if you're a big Homeworld fan and enjoyed the story portrayed within then you'll really like this new entry in the series. Non Homeworld fans may or may not like as much though.

Folks are complaining about the lack of multiplayer maps, however BBI have already stated that more maps are incoming via free DLC!
1 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 28 Feb 2016, 16:54

Loved Homeworld 2 but never quite finished it (was one of the last missions I got stuck on). Most frustrating part was that you had to know what was going to happen.

Send your entire fleet into a huge battle and 3/4 of the way through some enemy ships warp right next to your flagship. Unless you knew they were coming and left some defenses you're stuffed.

Is it still like that in DoK or did they change it?
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 29 Feb 2016, 10:04

Not in DOK. Your main rig does get attacked in the occasional mission but there's no sudden 'warping in' in the game so you have some time to move units to protect you main base. Your main rig allows you to redirect power to shields weapons etc.. as well, so it can defend itself until backup arrives.

I played on one of the harder difficulty game levels and it took me 11-14 hours to finish. I do like to sit back and take my time in RTS's though.

A hint if you play the game...on the last mission build up your army before setting off the first objective.
0 x