Retrogaming

...you guessed it. Any posts that don't fit in the other categories - or any discussions about gaming hardware (including Steam Machines!) - should go in here.
Mugsy

Retrogaming

Post by Mugsy » 16 Sep 2016, 19:30

Thought I'd start up a thread to cover off on the non old PC games that the Nostalgia PC games thread doesn't cover.

Last time I was on a plane I had my PSP with me... ended up playing the Mega Drive collection more than anything. Love me some Golden Axe but sadly no Streets of Rage 2 which along with Capcom's Aliens vs Predator arcade game are my two fav beat em ups of all time.

This watchmojo vid also brought back some memories as I use to play a lot of co-op gaming with my bro in our Mega Drive days:

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

GamingKen

Re: Retrogaming

Post by GamingKen » 18 Sep 2016, 15:08

I remember spending so much time playing NBA Jam in the arcades when I was young. And so many other games! There was a fantastic "WWF" type one in the 80's that I would always play at my local deli, and my mates and I would always go over to the local Ten Pin Bowling/Mini Golf place as they had an arcade area. Lots of Afterburner, TMNT, Street Fighter, Double Dragon and many others. It was awesome when some of those arcade games started coming out on consoles in the 90's. Sometimes I dabble in emulators to relive the experience of the old retro games, arcade or consoles, but it's just not quite the same as it was back in the day.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Sep 2016, 06:53

I recall a WWF game myself. Cousins and I use to pick Randy Savage and The Ultimate Warrior for the tag team game mode.

But I got into gaming properly in the 90s, namely from TMNT onwards despite the odd memory of 80s arcade games like Wonderboy, Hang On and Thunder Blade.

The local ten pin bowling and 7/11 were my arcade gaming venues of choice. The standouts were Capcom games running on their CPS1 and CPS2 hardware. Lots of beat em ups on those platforms.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 01 Dec 2016, 23:42

Now this brings back memories...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 02 Dec 2016, 00:44

Over the past year I've been modding all my consoles to make them region free.

I know some purests insist on original hardware but platforms that do a good job of emulating their predecessors like the PS2 and Wii are fine IMO.

I recently bought a Dreamcast (I hadn't owned one previously) after deciding to pass on the PS4/X1 for Xmas.

Reto stuff is expensive but fortunately I was able to get a GDEmu and Toro third party VGA box.

I wish I had kept my old Pentium III PC that was in good working order for some retro PC gaming, had AGP so I could have slotted a 3DFX card into it and used it for games that only support Glide. I didn't have much luck with Glide wrappers about two years ago, it's possible Glide wrappers have improved since then.
0 x

phylum

Post by phylum » 02 Dec 2016, 10:46

I pulled my PS2 apart for a clean yesterday. It had been scratching discs - there was a bunch of hair and stuff in the CD tray mechanism and getting rid of that seems to have fixed it. Removing 14 years of dust out was a hassle, and I'm kind of surprised it all still works given my history haha.

Have you modded a PS2 n1colas? fmbc seems to be the way to go, and I still have the top off of my console so I can probably install it to a memory card by pulling a switcheroo. I'd love to make my PS2 region free, and for it to be able to play my backup of the game that got badly scratched :s
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 02 Dec 2016, 14:34

phylum wrote:I pulled my PS2 apart for a clean yesterday. It had been scratching discs - there was a bunch of hair and stuff in the CD tray mechanism and getting rid of that seems to have fixed it. Removing 14 years of dust out was a hassle, and I'm kind of surprised it all still works given my history haha.
Some of the older fat PS2s had really good lasers and drive assemblies, unfortunately the later fats (SCPH-5000x and higher) and Slims had worse lasers/assemblies. Sony tweaked the lasers on Slims in an attempt to prevent playback of burnt media to prevent piracy and this resulted in the drives being more issue prone and often dying.

BIOS changes made Slims incompatible with certain games.

I have a fat SCPH-50002 modded with Modbo 4.0 (Messiah clone with v1.97 firmware IIRC) + SATA HDD and a Slim SCPH-77002 modded with a Modbo 4.0 (Messiah clone with v1.99 firmware IIRC). IIRC having PSX disc swapping enabled prevents the Slim from playing anti-modchip PSX games so that's someting to keep in mind if you have a Slim and mod it with a Messiah clone, I've read Messiah firmware v1.99 has issues so it could be the firmware but the chip is not flashable so it is stuck as is.

The Slims are a PITA to mod due to lack of internal space.

The fat SCPH-3900x series is apparently the PS2s with highest quality and least issues, after that Sony started going cheap.
phylum wrote:Have you modded a PS2 n1colas? fmbc seems to be the way to go, and I still have the top off of my console so I can probably install it to a memory card by pulling a switcheroo. I'd love to make my PS2 region free, and for it to be able to play my backup of the game that got badly scratched :s
FreeMcBoot is fine.

I use a third party network adaptor which has SATA instead of the original network adaptor that had IDE so I can use modern HDDs with it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-SATA-HDD ... Sw8gVX5cmc

I am so over burning media and since my PS2, Wii and Xbox have been modded I don't have to worry about disc related issues and burning discs.

I was a PC only gamer before the 5th console generation so the 4th generation and earlier consoles don't really interest me other than rarely firing up an old classic in an emulator.

If you have a decent PC and the PS2 games you want to play can be configured to work relatively issue free in PCSX2 I'd recommend that as the PS2 has awful image quality even with component cables, the PS2 had little VRAM so while some games use excellent textures the resulting framebuffer is compressed to all hell resulting in bad picture quality and since the PS2 was designed to work with CRTs 640x480 interlaced is the norm which looks like arse on HDTVs.
0 x

phylum

Post by phylum » 02 Dec 2016, 16:20

Nah I use PCSX2 for some things but it just isn't the same. Some games are fine, I started replaying Dragon Quest 8 on PC a year or two back with no issue, but most action games I can really feel the difference. I grew up with a PS2, so the original look and feel is a big part of the charm for me.

I definitely have a SCPH 3xxxx and it's still going fine after 14 years of use, but I'm looking to grab a SCPH 7xxxx as a backup.

With the fat I've never actually had an ethernet adapter, but it's good to see they're decently affordable.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 02 Dec 2016, 16:36

phylum wrote:Nah I use PCSX2 for some things but it just isn't the same. Some games are fine, I started replaying Dragon Quest 8 on PC a year or two back with no issue, but most action games I can really feel the difference.
That's one of the reasons I still have a PS2, most RPGs are fine but anything that requires precision I can't shake the feeling that it isn't quite right and is too detrimental to gameplay.
phylum wrote:I definitely have a SCPH 3xxxx and it's still going fine after 14 years of use, but I'm looking to grab a SCPH 7xxxx as a backup.
I wouldn't buy a Slim, get another fatty. If you plan on using a HDD the fat model you get doesn't really make a difference aside from modding.
phylum wrote:With the fat I've never actually had an ethernet adapter, but it's good to see they're decently affordable.
Just be aware that the Ethernet port generally doesn't work on the knock-off Network Adaptors including the one I listed, AFAIK only the official Sony Network Adaptor has working Ethernet but it is a pitiful 10Mbit with terrible throughput so you're better off not securing the Network Adaptors screws and just removing the HDD and dumping it in a HDD dock or connecting via SATA data and power cables if you have a desktop.

The HDD can be formatted on your PC which is much quicker than if done on the PS2. I highly recommend a full format and it is important that games are not fragmented.
0 x

phylum

Post by phylum » 18 Dec 2016, 00:15

I ended up buying a PS2 slim 2nd hand on the cheap today. The disc laser mechanism is pretty loud, I don't know if that's standard for PS2 slims, but I mostly wanted a console with an ethernet port so that I can load games over my network rather than burning a heap of DVDs. I got an entire second console cheaper than the expansion bay adapter for a fat PS2, cables and controller included - although the AV cable doesn't work, which I guess is why it was so cheap.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 18 Dec 2016, 13:50

phylum wrote:I ended up buying a PS2 slim 2nd hand on the cheap today.
If you have local OP shops or retro stores that are willing to sell PS2s without any accessories/cables you can often get PS2s for $20. I've read of too many bad experiences on eBay when buying consoles to risk buying there. I buy from retro stores that will let me open and inspect the internals of the console before purchase so I can spot common issues like bulging caps etc and haggle price down accordingly.
phylum wrote:The disc laser mechanism is pretty loud, I don't know if that's standard for PS2 slims
The early PS2 Slim models had loud DVD drive assemblies and they often developed DVD drive issues mainly laser related. Except for the original Xbox's first Thomson DVD drive the early Slim PS2's had some of the most issue prone DVD drives I've seen.
phylum wrote:I mostly wanted a console with an ethernet port so that I can load games over my network rather than burning a heap of DVDs.
I had too many issues running my games over Ethernet on my Slim, especially open world games that aggressively streamed data would hitch a lot ruining driving and other fast moving sections.

YMMV as some people have less/no issues when using Ethernet so it is possible the Ethernet adaptors in some PS2 models perform better than different Ethernet adaptors in other PS2 models.

Not all Slim can be FreeMcBooted and are a PITA to hardware mod so that's two reasons I avoid Slims.

Make sure you buy a component cable for your PS2 if you don't already have one, most HDTV's don't do a good job deinterlacing and upscaling the 480i signal most PS2 games use but component is still a huge step up over composite.

Something like the Framemeister is great if you have the cash and are willing to make the outlay but personally $400 is a lot to spend for something and I don't think I'd get $400 of value out of it. If there was an easier way of hooking all my consoles up to the Framemeister at the same time it would be more appealing.

I might post some pictures of my Dreamcast when I open it to do some hardware mods on it in the next day or two.
0 x